Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

a kitten posted:

Oh I woke up tonight I said I
I've gotta make somebody love me
I've gotta make somebody love me
And now I know, now I know, now I know, I know that is you…

Whether intentional or not, I knew this reminded me of something

I thought this was a reference to classic animated cinema in general. Reminds me of Betty Boop in this clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bf8y3v1BvU&t=180s) or of Olive from the old Popeye shows; just the way they use to have that wavey/boopy animation style. I could be way off, but if anything S3 has shown us how deeep the writers are willing to go.

Tabletops posted:

just finished this earlier. this show continues to be maybe the best anime? just the best anime. I think it's that.

whens the last time a show did a double episode release with an extra 50% of screen time on top? that poo poo is just loving wild. this show sets new bars for anime as a whole every season before promptly leaping over them in the next. such a wild confluence of talent working on it.

I'm also in the Best Anime club for this show. S3 delivers payoff on everything that gets build up and developed in the previous seasons, all while continuing to (somehow) up the quality and writing (again) while also trying new things (rap episode). I thought Spy x Family might give it a challenge, but that got left in the dust after the first few episodes of this season (still love that show tho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jomo posted:

I thought this was a reference to classic animated cinema in general. Reminds me of Betty Boop in this clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bf8y3v1BvU&t=180s) or of Olive from the old Popeye shows; just the way they use to have that wavey/boopy animation style. I could be way off, but if anything S3 has shown us how deeep the writers are willing to go.

I mean, they just did a "Take on Me" scene. This was definitely a callback to old school rubber hose animation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Ah, they're going out but in secret. Now. They'd still have to tell the student council gang that they're an item.
True but I think that's more of a funny problem to have than a genuinely tragic one

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jomo posted:

Yeah, that definitely gave me very old school western animation vibes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kaguya as I understand it has lots of references to classic animation styles and I love it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't realize that season 3 was getting dubbed alongside the domestic release but now I've heard Ian Sinclair losing his goddamn mind trying to parse these idiots yet again and all is right with the world.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He doesn't quite have as much time to work with but oh BOY does he make every second he have "on screen" (as it were) count.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how he had to walk away from the mic he was screaming so loud at one point. "Oh come on!"

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Is there something haram about showing kisses in anime, or what was the deal with the balloons covering the screen?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kissing is almost as lewd as holding hands.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Buffis posted:

Is there something haram about showing kisses in anime, or what was the deal with the balloons covering the screen?
happened exactly like that in the manga, author had his reasons which will likely be elaborated upon with this future anime... thing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Does is matter? Just seemed to be an artistic decision that worked fine imo.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Does is matter? Just seemed to be an artistic decision that worked fine imo.

There's a story related reason that they started to get into in the episode. It's to hide that Kaguya tongued down the president during their first kiss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah based on what Kaguya said after I assumed the joke was that the balloon covered it up to make the audience think it was a wholesome tepid first kiss but really Kaguya in usual fashion took things way too far and just went for a full on french kiss to the utter shock of Hayasaka.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah the joke with covering the kiss is that you get this big emotional moment, only to later learn that Kaguya hosed it up in the dumbest possible way.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah the joke with covering the kiss is that you get this big emotional moment, only to later learn that Kaguya hosed it up in the dumbest possible way.
"I LEARNED IT FROM YOU, KASHIWAGI!"

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
War Criminal Kiss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shyrka posted:

War Criminal Kiss.

The face of a war criminal:

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

The face of a war criminal:

Been puzzling about this one (scene reference) for a while: Osomatsu-kun?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I thought Kaguya misunderstood how Frenching works, and instead just licked Shirogane's face like a dog.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jomo posted:

Been puzzling about this one (scene reference) for a while: Osomatsu-kun?

I believe it's Doraemon

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Looks like Peanuts to me, at least top right

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah it's 100% another peanuts reference.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah it's 100% another peanuts reference.

The other faces look more Dr. Seuss to me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sydin posted:

Yeah based on what Kaguya said after I assumed the joke was that the balloon covered it up to make the audience think it was a wholesome tepid first kiss but really Kaguya in usual fashion took things way too far and just went for a full on french kiss to the utter shock of Hayasaka.

I don't know, I think he'd be into it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know, I think he'd be into it.

I think he was. He was like "wow" afterwards, but not for what we the audience assumed!

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Was originally thinking Peanuts as well, but couldn't find the title screen image on google, and I haven't seen that show since the 90's (showing my age here). Was Peanuts ever popular in Japan? Or is this another deep cross-cultural riff?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jomo posted:

Was originally thinking Peanuts as well, but couldn't find the title screen image on google, and I haven't seen that show since the 90's (showing my age here). Was Peanuts ever popular in Japan? Or is this another deep cross-cultural riff?

It's popular enough.

It's also something that got referenced in the manga a couple times, unlike the anime original references we see pretty often.

(But yeah. Those are definitely Dr. Seuss faces.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did Dr Seuss get popular/known in Japan knowing his WW2 propaganda caricatures?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

How did Dr Seuss get popular/known in Japan knowing his WW2 propaganda caricatures?

Well, he visited Hiroshima after the war, and dedicated Horton Hears a Who to Mitsugi Nakamura, dean of Doshisha University in Kyoto.

Seems there was some attempt to mend fences.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The manga is coming to an end:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-06-29/kaguya-sama-love-is-war-manga-ends-in-14-chapters/.187219

With the timing, I'm hoping we can get a complete adaptation of the manga's ending with the final season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, he visited Hiroshima after the war, and dedicated Horton Hears a Who to Mitsugi Nakamura, dean of Doshisha University in Kyoto.

Seems there was some attempt to mend fences.

Seuss is complicated like that where there's definitely caricatures and some pretty nasty depictions of foreigners in his books and their artwork but then there's also some pretty biting commentary in his postwar books on mutually assured destruction and that "they weren't white kids so it was okay!" image that floats around the internet these days. I can't say for certain if he did change his tune entirely but it does appear he made sone steps to address his prejudices in later life.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Finally caught up on this after the JP subs dropped a few days ago. the beat drops on the season 1 ending theme and i'm over here hootin and hollerin

This was a good series. Honestly just, cut it there. It's a perfect place to stop and I feel like it can only go downhill from this point. I wonder what this next anime project will entail though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Finally caught up on this after the JP subs dropped a few days ago. the beat drops on the season 1 ending theme and i'm over here hootin and hollerin

This was a good series. Honestly just, cut it there. It's a perfect place to stop and I feel like it can only go downhill from this point. I wonder what this next anime project will entail though.

Looks like a fourth season.

I won't say that the manga is all killer no filler from this point forward, but there's a lot of good stuff to come including the arc centering around sek, and the stuff that comes next keeps up the momentum very well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not sure I want to see these geniuses try to figure out sex, especially after Dress Up Darling was refreshingly blunt about it. Still could be funny if they get creative with it rather than treading well worn ground.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
As someone who hasn't read the manga, can someone give me a guide as to which volumes are (roughly) covered by which season? Curious to know how much material is left for adaption.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jomo posted:

As someone who hasn't read the manga, can someone give me a guide as to which volumes are (roughly) covered by which season? Curious to know how much material is left for adaption.

Well, some chapters are skipped over, but to get a rough idea...

This season ended with a partial adaptation of chapter 138, Kaguya Wants to Explain. (Although some of the gags are likely to be delayed to next season. Or at least they'll hopefully show up there, because they're amazing.)

The manga has announced the finale will be in 14 chapters.

The current chapter is 267.

That's right. Even ignoring the skipped chapters, we're not even half done.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, some chapters are skipped over, but to get a rough idea...

This season ended with a partial adaptation of chapter 138, Kaguya Wants to Explain. (Although some of the gags are likely to be delayed to next season. Or at least they'll hopefully show up there, because they're amazing.)

The manga has announced the finale will be in 14 chapters.

The current chapter is 267.

That's right. Even ignoring the skipped chapters, we're not even half done.

drat, so plenty to work with material wise in terms of creative freedom, excellent. Also glad the manga is wrapping up, 300 chapters is the high-water mark for me in terms of keeping my engagement; i think I dropped One-Piece at the 250 mark when I realized I had another (at the time) 500 to go.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still hope we one day get the Kaguya wants to Draw chapter adapted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://i.imgur.com/ZjBX4ka.mp4