Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: whoops, I thought this was the things getting shittier thread. Huge overlap.

All threads are the things are getting shittier thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Anybody getting hit with this new video skipping bullshit?

I thought they’d thrown in the towel on this TBH, hadn’t heard any updates on the three-strikes thing or anything else in a while

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They'll never throw in the towel. They'll be forever trying to keep up just enough annoying bullshit so the benefit of people convinced to pay for premium marginally outweighs the cost of people who give up on YouTube altogether

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully it distracts them from doing more serious evils.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
if you use an adblocker they add a subliminal audio track that causes femboy sissification

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

R.L. Stine posted:

if you use an adblocker they add a subliminal audio track that causes femboy sissification

and this is supposed to be a deterrent?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I love how Youtube's anti-adblock measures increasingly just looks like their platform works like poo poo. The average user can't tell it's because they're using an adblocker and it's a deliberate malicious measure. To them it just works badly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The average user isn’t using an ad blocker. The overwhelming amount of viewers are on the app. The person with a desktop blocker is highly likely to be aware of the bullshit at this point.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any way to tell what percentage of viewers is using an adblocker? I’d be curious to see the spread.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ublock Origin still blocks ads and doesn't skip to the end

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any way to tell what percentage of viewers is using an adblocker? I’d be curious to see the spread.

About 30% of people block ads and the percentage who do the legwork to block them on mobile devices is much smaller.

Maybe we should take out ads teaching people how to use adblockers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TACD posted:

Anybody getting hit with this new video skipping bullshit?

I thought they’d thrown in the towel on this TBH, hadn’t heard any updates on the three-strikes thing or anything else in a while

No because I use uBlock Origin.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

R.L. Stine posted:

that explains these…….urges

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kntfkr posted:

that explains these…….urges

It does not explain the urges described in your title.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Random Stranger posted:

About 30% of people block ads and the percentage who do the legwork to block them on mobile devices is much smaller.

Maybe we should take out ads teaching people how to use adblockers.

Sounds about right. I use UBO on my computer, but the app is simply too convenient and blocking on my phone sounds daunting, so when I use my phone, I just tolerate the ads.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Sounds about right. I use UBO on my computer, but the app is simply too convenient and blocking on my phone sounds daunting, so when I use my phone, I just tolerate the ads.

It looks like a lot, but its really not and will only take you a couple of minutes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/revancedapp/comments/xlcny9/revanced_manager_guide_for_dummies/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I once looked into revanced but it was indeed daunting.

I like Newpipe for my ad-free YouTubing. The only complex thing about it is you can't just grab it off the Play store, you have to first get F Droid which is like its own Play store. But getting the APK for that is a piece of piss.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Blocking ads on your phone isn't bery hard, just use Firefox and ublock origin just like on PC, and it works on iPhone and Android now too.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Firefox Android supports uBlock, there's even an extension called Video Background Play Fix that will let you keep YouTube audio going with the phone screen locked. The only inconvenient bit is that you do have to manually switch on the request desktop version setting for YouTube every time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Blocking ads on your phone isn't bery hard, just use Firefox and ublock origin just like on PC, and it works on iPhone and Android now too.

Don't forget to change your dns to dns.adguard.com to knock out in app ads.

Between those two steps and newpipe, your phone should become a lot more pleasant to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Not surprised to see the thread bumped, Smart Tube Next has been kinda stuttery today, had a fair few delays and pauses. Still, it was mostly this morning, it's okay at the moment and still no ads playing so get hosed Google, etc.