Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
She was absolutely gloating during the fake idol confessionals in a weird and unnecessary way, and iirc she said something about needing to apologize to Bhanu out of like strategic necessity or something to that effect (I’m a little more hazy about this one so feel free to correct me here).

I’m totally with you that her redemption arc hasn’t been just like 100% editor magic. Her relationship with Ben is definitely genuine, and she's also naturally charming and likable. Plus in general players can obviously change over the course of a season…but imo her early season look was not good, and the show seems to be...leaning into her?...in spite of that.

Bhanu even commented on her mermaid/dragon (?) dual personality and maybe that’s what were seeing with this post-merge/pre-merge contrast.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fast Luck posted:

It's not "the editors" making her look good with Ben. She's actually comforting him. We saw the footage and heard from Ben.

I will say: Ben was clearly being comforted by both Kenzie and Liz. So giving full credit there to Kenzie is definitely interesting.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Vernacular posted:

This is my read as well. The PR job the editors have done to resuscitate her image after the Jess and Bhanu stuff should raise some eyebrows (although I do also think she's probably a nicer person than her early season behavior indicates).

She'd be the beneficiary of a bitter jury and, judging by their reactions thus far, it's a distinct possibility. Reminds me a lot of Erika from S41: mostly just coasted on vibes but presented themselves confidently and articulately at the right time against the right people, and it was enough to get them over the finish line. Ben has been doing the former but I don't see him as capable of the latter. She can also now claim the Q vote as a blindside against Maria in a way that Charlie cannot, and that's significant.

I still think Maria takes it if she makes the end but I'm starting to think there's less daylight between Charlie and Kenzie in the power rankings than I had originally thought.

I actually feel the opposite about it and think that move looks better for Charlie. He built those relationships that saved him when really they should have voted him out over the obvious goat.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im willing to give her a pass on the early game stuff considering what a garbage fire the tribe experience itself wound up being

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Y'all, Ben is gonna win. Been saying it since the merge. This is a season with a credit claim problem. Anyone who tries to own anything at FTC is gonna get nothing but hate and shakes of bitter heads.

Ben will not have that problem.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Like imagine he's Natalie and the rest of the cast is Russel to the jury.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rootin for Charlie or Ben. Maria just doesn’t do much for me, she’s fine but she doesn’t have much personality other than I’m a mom. At least Ben is a little goofy rock goblin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People seem hung up on Kenzie having a bit of fun with the fake idol thing when they also cheer at Randy getting humiliated with one in Gabon.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Ranking who I WANT to win:

Kenzie > Charlie >>>>> Liz >>>>> Maria > Ben

Ranking who I THINK will win:

Kenzie > Charlie > Maria >>>>>>>>> Ben > Liz

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I don't really care what happens in the finale. Final 6 tribal council felt like the climax of the season. Quintavius not playing his idol is the hardest I've laughed at a television show in years. I was in tears. I love that they showed us all the votes beforehand.

This show's still got it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ApplesandOranges posted:

People seem hung up on Kenzie having a bit of fun with the fake idol thing when they also cheer at Randy getting humiliated with one in Gabon.

That’s because those are two different things OP :)

And fwiw Bob wasn’t comfortable with the way the Randy thing went down at that time and confronted Sugar about it afterward

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
My one wish going forward is that they please stop with the starting 3 tribes in this abridged time format, it really is so painful watching because it has never split evenly and you get to watch people be miserable and miserable to each other. The show VASTLY improved after the merging.

I'm genuinely curious though, they're already hyping up season 50 being an All-Star season, I'm all about reveals coming early but I kinda feel bad that it feels like these next seasons are kind of a wash if Jeff is talking about 50 already.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

That’s because they are

In plugging or saying anything about a season more than one away from the current, all other seasons leading up to 50 become nothing but commercials for 50, just like Samoa did for 20

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Diabetic posted:

My one wish going forward is that they please stop with the starting 3 tribes in this abridged time format, it really is so painful watching because it has never split evenly and you get to watch people be miserable and miserable to each other. The show VASTLY improved after the merging.

I'm genuinely curious though, they're already hyping up season 50 being an All-Star season, I'm all about reveals coming early but I kinda feel bad that it feels like these next seasons are kind of a wash if Jeff is talking about 50 already.

The next two seasons weren't even recorded when he made that statement lmao, and obviously 49 has not been recorded since it hasn't been cast. There's a lot of speculation around 50 because it's a Big Round Number, so it totally makes sense to bring it up early. Though the pre-gaming is going to be insane for 50

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

JayMax posted:

I don't really care what happens in the finale. Final 6 tribal council felt like the climax of the season. Quintavius not playing his idol is the hardest I've laughed at a television show in years. I was in tears. I love that they showed us all the votes beforehand.

This show's still got it.

The editing and the soundtrack leading into tribal were so good too.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Diabetic posted:

The show already has season 47+48 renewals, so it's really one more cycle and they have 50 locked in. It's nowhere near what its peak was, obviously, but it's a fairly reliable performer for these diminished days in broadcast, and it's relatively cheap to produce - about $2m an episode according to a hasty search. By comparison, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, and Johnny Galecki were making a million each per episode in the last few seasons of Big Bang Theory.

Nothing is guaranteed in network TV these days but I'd say it's pretty darn close to being a lock.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The cast of Friends also negotiated their way to a million per episode for the final season too, I think. So that's $6 million per episode.

Bear in mind a million also was worth a lot more over 20 years ago too.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
So speaking of good tv, I just finished season 2 of Aus Traitors (on Peacock) last night and I'm prepared to say that with that finale it may be the most entertaining/funniest season of reality TV ever made.

I don't want to spoil stuff by giving more context, but watch it because it's absolutely insane.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Diabetic posted:

My one wish going forward is that they please stop with the starting 3 tribes in this abridged time format, it really is so painful watching because it has never split evenly and you get to watch people be miserable and miserable to each other

While the other successful tribes just sit around basically waiting for the game to start (with some players not even going to TC until the merge) which is also bad for the show.

I do like having 3 tribes at some point, so maybe the move is to just always reshuffle the tribes before the merge to correct unevenness/introduce new dynamics, but I also get wanting to keep players on their toes by not formalizing pre-merge tribeswaps.

Maybe turn a tribeswap into a one-off reward that winning tribes could select instead of the more conventional food/gear rewards in seasons without an automatic pre-merge reshuffle?

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 18, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

The next two seasons weren't even recorded when he made that statement lmao, and obviously 49 has not been recorded since it hasn't been cast. There's a lot of speculation around 50 because it's a Big Round Number, so it totally makes sense to bring it up early. Though the pre-gaming is going to be insane for 50
i hope that to combat the pregaming they bring in some real headscratchers of returning players, like Thailand Robb or Scot Pollard

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

STING 64 posted:

i hope that to combat the pregaming they bring in some real headscratchers of returning players, like Thailand Robb or Scot Pollard

Scot Pollard probably no because he had a heart transplant recently.

WHICH MEANS IT'S JOHN ROCKER'S TIME TO SHINE

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Chili posted:

Y'all, Ben is gonna win. Been saying it since the merge. This is a season with a credit claim problem. Anyone who tries to own anything at FTC is gonna get nothing but hate and shakes of bitter heads.

Ben will not have that problem.

I love Ben but if he had any shot at winning his panic attacks wouldn't be narrative fodder for Kenzie

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

SweetJahasus posted:

So speaking of good tv, I just finished season 2 of Aus Traitors (on Peacock) last night and I'm prepared to say that with that finale it may be the most entertaining/funniest season of reality TV ever made.

I don't want to spoil stuff by giving more context, but watch it because it's absolutely insane.

I was disgusted by the gameplay that entire season, and then the finale was basically them shouting 'The Aristocrats!' and suddenly it all worked for me.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It's still Maria's game to lose but Kenzie's my #2 pick. I don't think Charlie has a chance, this last episode gave him a lot but much of it painted him as being indecisive

Winner: Maria/Kenzie
2nd: Charlie (The Malcom/Denise thing at the start of the season may as well have hit us over the head with this)
3rd place 0-vote goat: Liz or Ben
Mandatory Fire Loser: Liz or Ben

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

SweetJahasus posted:

I called that cast the dumbest cast of characters ever to play a game show...and I grew up skipping school to watch Barker's Price is Right.

The best TV finale I watched in the last several years, any genre.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

The cast of Friends also negotiated their way to a million per episode for the final season too, I think. So that's $6 million per episode.

Bear in mind a million also was worth a lot more over 20 years ago too.

They used to hand out millions like it was candy. Sing a song, million dollars. Answer trivia,million bucks. Open a case, million greenbacks.

These days they wanna squid game you for like 8 grand.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m kinda surprised they haven’t upped the prize money. A million dollars (lot less after taxes) doesn’t seem as appealing as it used to. But I guess when you have superfans itching to drop everything for months at a time you wouldn’t need to.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

One million for 26 days' work is a substantial increase in rate compared to a million for 39 days.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they had kept up with inflation the winners should be getting at least 2 mill.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I can't see anyone other than Charlie or Maria winning if they make it to the final 3. Kenzie, Ben and Liz are just there. They got annoyed at Q, and then didn't really move on from that. Maria and Charlie have basically been telling them what to do since the Tevin vote. If Kenzie, Liz or Ben were serious about winning they would have voted out Charlie and gone into the next tribal council with just Maria left in their way. Charlie or Maria are now guaranteed final 4, and I haven't seen Ben, Liz or Kenzie capable of doing anything, so even if things somehow work in their favor and you vote out one and send the other to fire, they are going to win the fire challenge and just rubber stamp their win.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m kinda surprised they haven’t upped the prize money. A million dollars (lot less after taxes) doesn’t seem as appealing as it used to. But I guess when you have superfans itching to drop everything for months at a time you wouldn’t need to.

A line stuck w/ me from one of The Challenge all-star/ reunion seasons. One of the OG cast who hasn't played in many years said something like: "I remember we used to beat the poo poo out of each other for a friggin scooter. I'm terrified what's going to happen w/ a million bucks on the line."

Broadly over the last 20 years the set pieces get bigger, but the games have gotten safer. As mentioned above, less contact-sports. More medical monitoring. More attention and compassion to mental health. I guess my thoughts are that if a safer game has a lesser reward (prizes not keeping w/ inflation), that makes sense in my head.

And the Aussies are still beating each other and themselves up for a fraction of the US prize pot.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
You may have fewer of the people willing to get hurt for money, but I imagine there are still ample volunteers to do survivor for the fun/challenge or the 15 minutes of fame

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invalid Validation posted:

A million dollars (lot less after Obama takes it)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

All-time moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQGWY0woy0

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Studio posted:

Scot Pollard probably no because he had a heart transplant recently.

WHICH MEANS IT'S JOHN ROCKER'S TIME TO SHINE

Please let me go back to forgetting Rocker was on this damned show

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

He would have fit in perfectly on 46

He also went home holding an idol

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SteveVizsla posted:

Please let me go back to forgetting Rocker was on this damned show

He pretended to be John Wetteland, who was somehow a worse person lmao

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

I love this stupid show

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Also, while a million dollars isn’t as much as it used to be it’s still one of the biggest prizes given out by a competition reality show. Lots of the others give 100,000 or 200,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Studio posted:

I don't even know what to say to that, jfc. Like. What was the thought process with this???