Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna be the lowest paid since the Inokism years but really can't move it even if it'd be better in the budokan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1342660643489337347?s=20

honestly even under conditions they expected a week ago i don't think it would've made much of a difference in a huge building with cheering restrictions

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This show was never not gonna be a death march.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The NJPW companion show Shin Ni-chan did a fan vote for the best ever Wrestle Kingdom matches and they ended up with this top 3

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - WK11
2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito - WK14
3. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi - WK9

Don't think there's anything too controversial there

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Okada’s gonna be so mad that Naito sold out the Tokyo Dome.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The NJPW companion show Shin Ni-chan did a fan vote for the best ever Wrestle Kingdom matches and they ended up with this top 3

WK9 was what made me a full time NJPW fan from an infrequent watcher. That match is Shinsuke’s best and one of Ibushi’s top 5 just incredible stuff.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not that it makes much of a difference because we won't see them but the two Stardom matches in the Tokyo Dome on 1.5 are

Mayu Iwatani & Tam Nakano vs. Giulia & Syuri
Utami Hayashishita, AZM & Saya Kamitani vs. Maika, Himeka & Natsupoi

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

This show was never not gonna be a death march.

The Tokyo Dome can be a terrible building even with a full crowd. It just doesn't carry noise like other domes do. Its why when you look at memorable Puro matches you don't see a lot of dome matches in the list compared to Budokan, Sumo Hall or Korakuen hall.

Otoh they are a gate driven company so I get wanting to sell as much tickets as they could while following regulations. It's just these shows are gonna be worse for atmosphere than empty arena shows

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

fadmonkey posted:

Okada’s gonna be so mad that Naito sold out the Tokyo Dome.

Jay White can start claiming that he single handedly sold out both Madison Square Garden and the Tokyo Dome.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'd personally swap 1 and 2 but it's a strong list.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like Tana/Okada from WK 10 is a top three, but I'm not going to say that that list is wrong either. There's been so many absolute classics that it comes down to a matter of taste.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Mine would personally be

Tana/Okada WK10
Nakamura/Ibushi WK9
Nakmura/Sakuraba WK7

but i'm aware i've got a ton nostalgia for the Sakuraba match since it was the first show I watched live

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Don't expect anyone not currently in Japan at Wrestle Kingdom. https://twitter.com/NikkeiAsia/status/1342823590438252546

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
they would have already needed to have been in Japan for a week because of the two week quarantine but it'll certainly impact the aftermath of this. It means that someone like an ELP that might have played a major role in this year in both the US and Japan needs to pick a side for the foreseeable future and it means that foreigners that aren't on the WK tour won't be back for a while (I think that's only Finlay?).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yet people still will think Moxley somehow is going to make the Tokyo dome!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

none of us watching from home will be able to see the offer matches but the dome cards are now finalized

WRESTLE KINGDOM 15
January 4th at 3:00 AM EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST
Preshow at 2:00 AM EST/7:00 GMT/16:00 JST
TOKYO DOME

Preshow - New Japan Rambo:- last four participants advance to KOPW 2021 match on night 2
Special Single Match:Hiromu Takahashi (BOSJ 27 Winner) vs. El Phantasmo (Super J Cup 2020 Winner)
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:Dangerous Tekkers (c) vs. G.o.D
IWGP US Championship Challenge Contract:KENTA (h) vs. Satoshi Kojima
Special Single Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Great-O-Khan
Special Single Match:Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay
IWGP Double Gold Championship:Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. Kota Ibushi

WRESTLE KINGDOM 15
January 5th at 3:00 AM EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST
Preshow at 2:00 AM EST/7:00 GMT/16:00 JST
TOKYO DOME

Preshow - Stardom Offer Match I: Queen's Quest (Utami Hayashishita, Saya Kamitani, and AZM) vs.Donna del Mondo (Himeka, Maika, and Natsupoi)
Preshow - Stardom Offer Match II:STARS (Mayu Iwatani and Tam Nakano) vs, Donna del Mondo (Giulia and Syuri)
note: neither Stardom match will be streamed
KOPW 2021 4 way Match:X vs. X vs. X vs. X (participants determined by opening night Rumble)
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Championships:Suzuki-gun(c) (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Master Wato
NEVER Openweight Championship:Shingo Takagi(c) vs. Jeff Cobb
Special Single Match:SANADA vs. EVIL
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:Taiji Ishimori(c) vs. winner of Hiromu vs. El-P
IWGP Double Gold Championship:winner of Naito vs. Ibushi (c) vs. Jay White

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IceAgeComing posted:

foreigners that aren't on the WK tour won't be back for a while (I think that's only Finlay?).

I'm guessing Finlay's already booked for the New Japan Rumble so he's already in the country

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Night two lacking Okada, Tanahashi, and one of Naito or Ibushi seems really weird, even in a pandemic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BushiRoad sure love them some Donna Del Mondo eh?

Maika going from trainee to the Tokyo Dome in 19 months is something though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TAKA Michinoku trainees are so good that it's unfair to hold other rookies to the same standard. Guy is a sleaze but a god tier trainer.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Hello wrestle friends!

I’ve been pretty much unable to watch NJPW since right before the G1 this year (as it turns out, teaching in a pandemic is difficult on the best of days). What do I need to know before Wrestle Kingdom?

Things I think I know:

-Ospreay is now an rear end in a top hat in character as well.
-The EVIL reign is over.
-Moxley isn’t showing up at the Dome.

That’s pretty much it. So, where are we at storyline wise? If there is a link to somewhere with a good explanation, that’d be great. Or someone here explaining would also be appreciated.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The big story going into Wrestle Kingdom is that they're doing double gold, again! Kota Ibushi won the G1 but lost his right to challenge to Jay White so Naito took pity on Ibushi and offered him the shot on 1.4 with the winner facing Jay on 1.5.

The other major story is for the junior title where due to the pandemic we had two tournaments, the BOSJ in Japan and the Super J Cup in the USA. The winners, Hiromu Takahashi, who defeated El Desperado in an emotional epic that you should watch, and El Phantasmo, who kicked a bunch of people in the dick again, will meet on 1.4 to decide who challenges Taiji Ishimori on 1.5

Then there's The Empire. Ospreay defeated Kazuchika Okada in the G1 with help of his girlfriend Bea Priestley and the returning Great-O-Khan. He formed The Empire because he blames Okada for holding him back and Okada will get his chance for revenge at WK while Khan will face Tanahashi. They also recruited Jeff Cobb, who had a great G1 this time round and will face Shingo Takagi for the NEVER Openweight title.

Other than that, SANADA finally showed some emotion as he laid into EVIL at Budokan Hall out of anger at his betrayal so they're having a match. Guerrilas of Destiny won the tag league and are facing Tekkers with the story that they've never won at WK but Tekkers have never beat them. Master Wato & Ryusuke Taguchi are challenging El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru for the junior tag but there's no real story. KENTA has been frustrated about Mox not showing up and was originally meant to defend his right to face Mox against Juice after costing him the tag league final but now Juice is injured so it's Kojima. Also the New Japan Rumble is back and the final four will face off to decide the provisional KOPW2021 after Toru Yano won the KOPW2020 by defending it to the end of the year.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

TAKA Michinoku trainees are so good that it's unfair to hold other rookies to the same standard. Guy is a sleaze but a god tier trainer.

Any elaboration on the sleaze accusation?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cheated on his wife iirc

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's a little more than that. He was using the official KAIENTAI Dojo account to hit on female fans

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
he talked about the size and shape of a coworker's penis on twitter

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Seams posted:

he talked about the size and shape of a coworker's penis on twitter

Allegedly, he claimed it was "like a sousage, uwahaha"

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Ishii better be one of the final 4 of the New Japan ranbo otherwise what's the point of Wrestle Kingdom.

I have a hard time believing that Okada wouldn't be there on night 2. What was his story arc this year? The way he's been wrestling it's like one of the best Street Fighter players in the world decided to main Dan to prove to everyone that he's even better than everyone thinks, but it turns out that Dan's moveset is really bad and he's not doing as well as he should be. Maybe he joins the ranbo to piss Ospreay off and then Ospreay barely beats him and they have a rematch at some point in the future? It doesn't seem like a very New Japan thing to do though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I believe okada's plot this year has been:

okada : screw you naito, i will never want the heavyweight belt combined with the ic belt who needs titles anyway

okada : i need titles i mean KING OF PRO WRESTLING TOURNAMENT which i will win obviously

okada : i didn't win fml

okada : OSPREAY HOW COULD YOU

EDIT : Was Yujiro Okada this year?

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 28, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Artelier posted:

EDIT : Was Yujiro Okada this year?

God, was that feud only one year?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

In a way, the Yujiro Okada feud was the perfect feud for 2020: a bunch of tedious horseshit that went on ludicrously too long

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Considering the meat grinder Okada's body has been through the past 8 years giving him a year off to do silly bullshit is probably not the worst strategy. Especially given what we've seen happen to Tanahashi in his early 40s when the accumulated miles on his body caught up to him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yujiro actually kinda tried in the G1 which makes him phoning it in for that Okada feud so much more confusing.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pinche Rudo posted:

Considering the meat grinder Okada's body has been through the past 8 years giving him a year off to do silly bullshit is probably not the worst strategy. Especially given what we've seen happen to Tanahashi in his early 40s when the accumulated miles on his body caught up to him.

Okada already has a big advantage over Tana in that he'll never have to start spamming half a dozen High Fly Flows in a big match that'll destroy his knees, especially if they're to the outside.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rainmaker being a low impact finisher for everyone is just so brilliant and will probably add at least a few years to Okada's career

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I haven't caught any of the shows over the last week or so (it's Christmas!), anything major or important happen on any of them?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't caught any of the shows over the last week or so (it's Christmas!), anything major or important happen on any of them?

KENTA vs Kojima for the battered briefcase at WK being confirmed seems to be about it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Rainmaker being a low impact finisher for everyone is just so brilliant and will probably add at least a few years to Okada's career

Money Clip is even more low impact and will add even more years to his career!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

KENTA vs Kojima for the battered briefcase at WK being confirmed seems to be about it.

That match is probably gonna rule but man I wish it was KENTA vs. Mox for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Jay and KENTA were finally reunited as a pair of douchebag suitcase bros