Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Martytoof posted:

You'd think after all this I'd regret going Pentax for digital since the lens selection is so much better on Canon, but I literally love handling and using my K10 so much that I'm willing to keep at it.
Funnily enough the lenses are exactly what's making me re-buy into Pentax after having most of my gear stolen recently. Canon have a large range of lenses.. but they still don't have the lenses I want to use. There is simply no equivalent to the DA15 or DA70.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

yem posted:

Funnily enough the lenses are exactly what's making me re-buy into Pentax after having most of my gear stolen recently. Canon have a large selection of lenses.. but they still don't have the lenses I want to use. There is simply no equivalent to the DA15 or DA70.

DA* 12-24 ED *cough*

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

...touche.

Proud Virgin Boy
Aug 11, 2005

My grandpa recently gave me his Pentax MV-1 and I really want to use it. I have literally no experience with cameras of any type other than a crappy 2 megapixel digital I got 5 years ago. After doing a little reading I guess the MV-1 is a pretty basic model but i don't really need anything fancy. The plastic housing for the rewind knob split in two and fell apart but that should be an easy fix, the knob is still functional. What I am worried about is the battery cover. Its pretty stripped and I cant get the sucker open. I've tried every different coin and a screwdriver and they're all just slipping out of the groove. Does anyone have any ideas on how to open it and where I can get a replacement?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

yem posted:

Funnily enough the lenses are exactly what's making me re-buy into Pentax after having most of my gear stolen recently. Canon have a large range of lenses.. but they still don't have the lenses I want to use. There is simply no equivalent to the DA15 or DA70.

What about Canon's 24/2.8 or 24/1.4 and 100/2.8 or 100/2.0 on full frame, considering that Pentax is still crop-only?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Proud Virgin Boy posted:

My grandpa recently gave me his Pentax MV-1 and I really want to use it. I have literally no experience with cameras of any type other than a crappy 2 megapixel digital I got 5 years ago. After doing a little reading I guess the MV-1 is a pretty basic model but i don't really need anything fancy. The plastic housing for the rewind knob split in two and fell apart but that should be an easy fix, the knob is still functional. What I am worried about is the battery cover. Its pretty stripped and I cant get the sucker open. I've tried every different coin and a screwdriver and they're all just slipping out of the groove. Does anyone have any ideas on how to open it and where I can get a replacement?

tbh, i think there'd be two different options: get another MV-1 or learn about exposure the hard way.

when i took photography i was too lazy to get a new battery and i ended up figuring out how to meter by sight (granted in the darkroom you have a bit more to play than just getting your film processed). it's not too hard depending on what you're shooting, but after a few rolls you'll get to be a bit more comfortable. here's a quick guide: http://blog.epicedits.com/2008/06/18/brushing-up-on-the-sunny-16-rule/ and a link from that page that's pretty good: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understandexposure.shtml

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 10, 2009

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

CanuckBassist posted:

What about Canon's 24/2.8 or 24/1.4 and 100/2.8 or 100/2.0 on full frame, considering that Pentax is still crop-only?
Sure, equivalent in focal length. But then you have to attach them to a big expensive full frame body.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I can see why this battery grip was only $30. It's designed where I have to take it off to access the batteries in the camera, and being they are AAs, I have to take off the grip every time I want to recharge them. :argh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V-grips pretty much work like that. They either replace the camera battery with their power connector or they seal the bottom of your cam anyway since they're screwed into the tripod mount.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I just saw this K-X rumor on Engadget

I don't really see the difference from the K-7.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Kazy posted:

I don't really see the difference from the K-7.
K-m you mean? I can see a few differences with the K-7 ;)

If the specs are accurate it's definitely the K-m replacement. Pentamirror, cropped viewfinder, single dial, scene modes, AA batteries etc. Nice bump in drive mode and 24 fps (hah) 720p video. Let's see if they can keep the price sane.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 17, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah; single dial, pre-K7 ergonomics, etc.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Umm, all I can say about the K-x is: what the gently caress, Pentax?

It looked like they might be heading for the 'rugged' niche -- weather sealed kit lenses etc.

Now we get this. You get selectable AF points, but they're not shown in the viewfinder?! Weather sealing? Nope.

But hey, it comes in 20 colors.

Amusingly, there's a thread full of praise on pentaxforums.com:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/73715-thoughts-new-k-x.html

I swear, if Canon or Nikon released this it'd be mocked to no end.

I was hoping for a small, weather sealed, tough mini-K7 type body. Not this crippled toy... sorry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nobody is going to buy a fashion DSLR because the people who want fashionable cameras are going to buy some pink P&S instead anyway.

Pentax is digging their own grave. On the upside, when Pentax is finally officially defunct it'll be easier to find a cheap backup body for my K10 :smithicide:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

To me, had Pentax taken the K20D and instead of releasing the K-7 just improved fps a little and put a capable AF system in, they'd probably be able to sell a REALLY good DSLR for < $1k and smoke a lot of the competition. The K-7 improved fps but apparently when tracking moving subjects it slows down to < 3 fps which kind of defeats the purpose unless you enjoy shotgunning static subjects.

I just can't quite figure out their plan. I loved the K20D and was hoping they'd correct the one glaring issue I had with it (autofocus performance) but they keep disappointing me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I just can't quite figure out their plan.

Is it bad when I fully expect Olympus users to start making fun of me? :(

But seriously though. I'm not sure what kind of niche they're trying to place themselves in. They don't have the modern name power of either Nikon or Canon to ride with a lovely DSLR, and they don't have any kind of Pro setup to give them credibility with high end users. It seems like their only hope at success is users like me, who wanted really awesome features of the K10/20 line without the price tag of a 30/40/50D. And they're not even doing THAT well.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Looks like an awesome entry level body to me. It stacks up very nicely next to the competition.

The lack of AF point indication is pretty weird though. WTF?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Probably showed in the screen itself. Which you'll have to take your eye out of the viewfinder.

I don't get the lack of weathersealing though. Even my K200D is weather-sealed.

I don't think Pentax knows what they're trying to do anymore.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The K200D is the midrange model though, this is the entry-level one. The K-m wasn't sealed either.

Everyone wonders what Pentax are up to. They have a niche - small APS-C bodies with fine prime lenses. It's probably not as lucrative a market as Canon and Nikon's professional line but it's a market not served by those giants so I'm fine with it. People who really want a big impressive camera with f/2.8 zoom lenses and no compromise image quality are probably better off with C/N/S. Personally I'd rather they focus on producing cameras like this and the K-7 and bring out more lenses than burn money copying the bigger, uglier competition.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

See, that's the thing though. The target market for fine, compact primes is serious enthusiasts. But then they release a compact (and mostly nicely spec'd) DSLR body that would be great to use with them, and pull something like this lack of AF point indication crap that ruins it. It's like they're trying to do two entirely different things at once, and they don't have enough of a lineup to cater to both the 'hip' crowd and the photo nerds.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's all a marketing ploy. They get everyone aroused over the lack of AF point indicators and they add them in and people flock to it!

Haha, nah. It's Hoya.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We all know the worthwhile primes don't do AF anyway :smugdog:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

guys dont rag on it, it has hdr mode

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
The recent path Pentax has been going has almost made me regret going into it. I entered the dSLR market with my K20, picked up a 16-50, DA* 200, 100mm to start off. 16-50 was DOA with SDM focus chirping and whirring noises, which was later replaced with a 16-45 f/4. Out of the box on that one I turned the focus ring and something shattered inside the lens. On the flip side the DA* 200 and 100 were just peachy. At work we have a K20 body that has been into warranty repair 3 times with a faulty mode selector dial, and each time never shipped back repaired. Quality control and warranty support is horrid with Pentax. Not to mention the lengthy turn around time.

I went with Pentax since I had bad luck with a 40D out of the box and a sensor covered in shutter oil that kept coming back after cleaning. The K20 has never had dust issues in the past year or so that I have owned it. Now I look at all the really affordable lens lineups at the other makers, HD video support without sensor overheating, and basically a huge future line of products. On the Pentax side lots of forgotten promises and lack of new affordable lens options. I mean what the gently caress, no Pentax SDM-supporting teleconverter? Replace a 50mm awesome prime that costs 200 with a new one that costs 600?

Right now I am really not sure what to do. I sold my 200mm last week since it wasnt used that much, and now only have my 100 and 16-45 left. Outside of the body I am technically not in too far to switch. I have been loving a lot of the Nikon stuff recently (cheapest to most expensive), just a bit higher than I want to spend right now. Why the gently caress Pentax.

:sigh:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

What made you pick a Pentax kit in the first place? As I said above, I think if you want to use big fast zooms, Canon or Nikon is a better place to be right now. The sensors are simply better - which goes a long way to making up for lack of SR - and the support infrastructure is lightyears ahead.

I know all about buyers remorse. I bought my kit two weeks before Pentax announced they were discontinuing ALL FA lenses. That was a kick in the nuts. But I like lenses they do have now, so I'll buy back in while I can.

I do wish they had more wide-normal primes - and some more affordable lenses.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My K10 is an amazing camera for the price I paid, plus it feels so good in my hand that I seriously dread the day when I'll eventually have to step up to a Nikon or Canon setup. I love it's film-y high ISO shots to boot.

As for in-body SR, I found it's gimmicky at best in practice. My 28mm shots with SR are only marginally more usable than without, though that could easily be the way I handle my camera. I definitely wouldn't use body-SR as a determining factor for a future purchase, and if I had to I would probably buy a Sony.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

yem posted:

What made you pick a Pentax kit in the first place? As I said above, I think if you want to use big fast zooms, Canon or Nikon is a better place to be right now. The sensors are simply better - which goes a long way to making up for lack of SR - and the support infrastructure is lightyears ahead.

I know all about buyers remorse. I bought my kit two weeks before Pentax announced they were discontinuing ALL FA lenses. That was a kick in the nuts. But I like lenses they do have now, so I'll buy back in while I can.

I do wish they had more wide-normal primes - and some more affordable lenses.

Access to a discount program that made everything about 50% off. Even with that program, getting broken stuff left and right wasnt too comforting.

I just found it ludicrous when the fundamental business practice of selling inexpensive high-quality primes turned into selling SDM-equipped primes for 3x the price of the old ones. Pretty Hoya had that delightful idea. The SDM is even better when you find out that it is unreliable as poo poo compared to Canon or Nikon's implementation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

As for in-body SR, I found it's gimmicky at best in practice. My 28mm shots with SR are only marginally more usable than without, though that could easily be the way I handle my camera. I definitely wouldn't use body-SR as a determining factor for a future purchase, and if I had to I would probably buy a Sony.
At 28mm SR's going to be marginally useful at best, since it only buys you shutter time below what you'd need to freeze action decently.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, that's a pretty fair point. In defense of my point, I haven't seen a world of improvement in the 70-200 range either, but to be perfectly fair I haven't done too many head to head tests with SR turned on/off with that lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, SR should be gold in that range, because it buys you 1/100 at much longer lengths than you should be able to get away with. At least that's my experience with Nikon's VR; I don't know how good Pentax's solution works, but I've never heard people trashing it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

At 28mm SR's going to be marginally useful at best, since it only buys you shutter time below what you'd need to freeze action decently.
It's pretty useful if you don't need to freeze action tack sharp. I'm shooting at 1/15 quite often.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing it, it just wasn't as life changing as I expected. Then again, I think I came in with higher expectations which may have been unrealistic to begin with.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yem posted:

It's pretty useful if you don't need to freeze action tack sharp. I'm shooting at 1/15 quite often.
Yeah that's the great part of stabilizers. On my P&S I can pull off 1/10 at 24mm pretty reliably, which is always fun :)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

in body SR and pentax heritage lenses were one of the main reasons i went with pentax. i figured i can buy cheap, old lenses that i can still use SR with. as a poor college student it was a pretty wise choice.

now with a disposable income, it's nice to have a good selection of heritage lenses I can use in less light for less cash. that said, there's no way it buys me 3/4 stops. 1 maybe 2 at best, but that's enough for some concert photography.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

guidoanselmi posted:

now with a disposable income, it's nice to have a good selection of heritage lenses I can use in less light for less cash. that said, there's no way it buys me 3/4 stops. 1 maybe 2 at best, but that's enough for some concert photography.

Only if you're shooting singer/songwriters. Otherwise the musicians move around too much. Nice clear shots of the stage though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I just traded my older Sony camera to a coworker who likes to collect cameras for a Sigma EX 24-70 constant f/2.8. It's huge and I can't wait to play around with it this weekend. It utterly dwarfs my K-m.

Speaking of bodies, I got to play with the new K-x at the event in NYC last week and it looks just like the K-m from a distance. Same size, same button layout except for a couple of minor changes. I am curious to see how it performs compared to the K-7. I do want either the K-x or the K-7 for their video capabilities, though the sensor issues on the K-7 have been giving me pause.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Pentax-mount macro lens?

All I have right now is a ~40 year old Vivitar 70-205 that has a macro setting.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kazy posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Pentax-mount macro lens?

All I have right now is a ~40 year old Vivitar 70-205 that has a macro setting.

How much are you looking to spend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How much are you looking to spend?

I dunno, since it would be such a niche lens. Probably $300 max? Not looking for stellar quality, just something I'll be able to get up close and personal with.

• Locked thread