Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I've made two skeins of yarn now! They're both 2-ply plain brown wool, but I'm inordinately proud of myself. I'd take pictures if I had a camera.

Now I'm starting to run out of roving the nice lady gave me, and I'm wondering where I should get more. What's a good place to buy cheap, beginning wool? I don't really want to get anything really nice until I can spin somewhat consistently.

...not that this is going to stop me from buying alpaca roving at the Farmers Market next week, but alpaca is delicious and I must have some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

MarsDragon posted:

I've made two skeins of yarn now! They're both 2-ply plain brown wool, but I'm inordinately proud of myself. I'd take pictures if I had a camera.

Now I'm starting to run out of roving the nice lady gave me, and I'm wondering where I should get more. What's a good place to buy cheap, beginning wool? I don't really want to get anything really nice until I can spin somewhat consistently.

...not that this is going to stop me from buying alpaca roving at the Farmers Market next week, but alpaca is delicious and I must have some.

Way to go!

I warn you alpaca is a jerk and will protest being spun. I never got the hang out of it till I just sat and spun 4 ounces over the Tour de Fleece; once you do, though, it's so awesome! So be prepared to be super frustrated with it some.

Knitpicks has some roving, and I imagine that it's nice (as it looks to be the same blend as their actual yarn). The price isn't that bad at all, for how much you get. Another option is The Spinning Loft, which is one of my favourite stores. I rarely get to visit it in person, but even online the owner and her daughter(?) are the best--and they both know a lot about fiber, so if you have questions, they're happy to help.

If there are any yarn stores in your area, you could also check if any of them happen to be yarn and spinning stores. If they are, you could give it a look. I know that's a lot less common, but maybe you'll get lucky!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Wedemeyer posted:

This is tremendously beautiful.

Thought I'd post some of my recently spun. I haven't been able to spend too much time spinning since I got a job, but on the other hand, hooray! i have a job.

Romney dyed by Spunky Eclectic:

Click here for the full 804x605 image.

Merino dyed by me:

Merino/Silk plied with a Romney/Alpaca blend.

more Merino dyed by me:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
SCOOTY I WANT THAT LIME GREEN YARN

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
It's in my etsy shop :)

http://algernonrex.etsy.com

You'll get the 15% Goon rebate. (Offer good until 2011)

I feel like a mattress commercial.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

It's in my etsy shop :)

http://algernonrex.etsy.com

You'll get the 15% Goon rebate. (Offer good until 2011)

I feel like a mattress commercial.

Can you not sell it for like 2 days :v: I didn't notice you had 2 and I get paid on Friday. Man that is some great stuff.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
I'll label it as reserved, and it shall be yours!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

FelicityGS posted:

Way to go!

I warn you alpaca is a jerk and will protest being spun. I never got the hang out of it till I just sat and spun 4 ounces over the Tour de Fleece; once you do, though, it's so awesome! So be prepared to be super frustrated with it some.

Knitpicks has some roving, and I imagine that it's nice (as it looks to be the same blend as their actual yarn). The price isn't that bad at all, for how much you get. Another option is The Spinning Loft, which is one of my favourite stores. I rarely get to visit it in person, but even online the owner and her daughter(?) are the best--and they both know a lot about fiber, so if you have questions, they're happy to help.

If there are any yarn stores in your area, you could also check if any of them happen to be yarn and spinning stores. If they are, you could give it a look. I know that's a lot less common, but maybe you'll get lucky!

Good to know about alpaca...well, if nothing else it's something to strive for.

I checked my local yarn store, and they had spindles and some roving in the back! I got some black and grey pencil roving, it spins up into a really pretty striped yarn. The spindle is a little light for me, I'd like something heavier...eventually.

Thanks for all the advice!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I'll label it as reserved, and it shall be yours!

And I am purchasing it as we speak!

:swoon:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Two things to add here!

One: I knit a hat for my grandmother out of handspun alpaca from this year's tour de fleece.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's Fern Glade from Knitty Winter 08. I love that hat.

Two:

I dyed up some Corridale so that it changes from one colour to another over the whole yarn, in one slow shift. Or self stripes, if I spin it that way. I don't think I'll want to keep it, but I'm showing it off here anyway!

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

There's enough here for a pair of matching-ish socks. I'm likely going to spin it up after all the holiday knitting is done and sell the yarn; naturally I'll post a picture of the yarn when it's done!

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

We finally got the etsy store open (yay) and put up the finished merino/mohair yarn I posted earlier:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwoSiberiansFiber

And a couple of hats I had finished. I'll have more going up after Christmas, especially some art yarns I'm dying to play with.

(Note: Kittehs not included with purchase) :D

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Anyone have a way to make hand carding FEEL more efficient? Or at least make it more fun? I have a WHOLE SHEEP'S WORTH of wool (I bought a fleece), and it needs to be carded before it's yarned. I don't have/can't afford a drum carder. Hand carding is boring to me. I somehow feel like I'm doing it wrong.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It is pretty slow going. I felt like I was doing it wrong for a long time too--make sure you don't overload, but too little is bad too. I ended up discovering that combing is my favourite way. Another option is to use your carder to flick open the lock and just spin that straight off, though it won't get the same airiness that actual carding does.

If there's a fibery store anywhere nearby, you could see if they rent out their drum carder--some places do something like that.

As for fun, I usually listen to NPR, audio books, or podcasts. Sometimes I watch LPs, so long as I don't need to actually see every second of what's going on.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

My yarn from you should ship faster so I can make myself something warm and show it to you. :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Argh, so busy knitting Christmas presents I have no time to spin...I'm gonna forget how!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

My yarn from you should ship faster so I can make myself something warm and show it to you. :(

hopefully it will be there soon. 'twas shipped on tuesday.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Argh, so busy knitting Christmas presents I have no time to spin...I'm gonna forget how!

That's how I felt. Then I started spinning for five minutes before bed. I may still forget, but at least I'm playing with pretty fiber. :3:

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Well, I'm the proud new owner of this:

And I'm incredibly excited! I just had to share with like-minded individuals, as I won't be able to actually try anything until after finals. But yay!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

rear end Crackers! posted:

Well, I'm the proud new owner of this:

And I'm incredibly excited! I just had to share with like-minded individuals, as I won't be able to actually try anything until after finals. But yay!

Yaaaaaaaay!

What kind of fiber is it?

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's wool. I actually got it for the person portion of PISSmass this year.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Welcome to the spinning side! I hope you have lots of fun once your finals are done. :)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Alright, so I'd like to get a few resources before diving in. What are a few good books/dvds I should pick up? I'm a much better visual leaner, if that helps. Thanks in advance! :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Alright, so I'd like to get a few resources before diving in. What are a few good books/dvds I should pick up? I'm a much better visual leaner, if that helps. Thanks in advance! :)

Abby Franquemont's Respect the Spindle--the book has glorious photos, and there is a DVD available (you mention being visual). Abby knows her stuff, and everything you need to know to get started and do a bit of the more complicated stuff* is all there.

*balanced plying, nondrop spindles

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
That looks great, thanks again. Now to put it on my Christmas list!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

That looks great, thanks again. Now to put it on my Christmas list!

There's also a "teach your self visually handspinning" book which is pretty good as well.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

In pretty pretty fibers that I've spun lately, I've managed to get 2 ounces of brown alpaca down in about two days. This fiber is so lovely, and I'm really proud of this batch of yarn. I don't know a yardage yet, but it varies from fingering weight to a few slubby bits of DK. It's very squishy, very warm, and balanced just enough.

I've got six more ounces left, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. My next project is to spin a similar weight/loft yarn in white alpaca (2 ounces), black (2 ounces), and a dyed dusky green (2 ounces) so I can make a set of stranded mitts.

ssplam
Sep 12, 2004

Look Ma', no antennae!

Amykinz posted:

Throughout the years, I have noticed a curious phenomenon, many of the knitters I spoke to or read their blogs had started researching and practicing spinning. This lead me to two conclusions: 1) I want to spin!, and 2) Knitting is a gateway drug.

Wow, that is really quite a thorough posting, I admit I haven't read through it all yet, I was just really exicted to find a spinning thread here.

I just rec'd an Ashford Traditional Double Drive wheel for Christmas and, amazingly, 7 POUNDS of wool, already carded even.

I look forward to reading through the rest of the thread and maybe having interesting info to add.

ssplam
Sep 12, 2004

Look Ma', no antennae!

Yeah I am all about playing with yarn. I'm trying so hard to drop spindle on and off but I really need to find someone to just show me in person what the hell I am doing wrong, which is pretty much what happened with knitting. Try to do it myself with books and Youtube, not so much. Someone in person, I pick it up in less than 12 hours.

Have you tried to find a knitting or spinning guild in your area. They are one of those things you wouldn't imagine might exist but then you can magically find them. You may also search for local / semi-local fiber fairs, or sometimes even things like a ren-faire. Ravelry or Meetup might also help you find smaller spinning groups.

ssplam
Sep 12, 2004

Look Ma', no antennae!

BFL, which is supposed to be the easiest thing in the world. It is in big lumps and I have some batting but I don't really have a way to try carding it if that's what I'm supposed to be doing oh god I don't even know

I've never tried spinning from the locks themselves. When I first started playing with a drop spindle, my aunt gave me a fleece of suffolk. Not an ideal fiber, but excellent practive. Because I am cheap, I didn't want to invest in expensive tools until I knew if I wanted to continue. Went to the pet store and bought some little dog slicker brushes.

something like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3738209

they're not excellent because you can only work with a small batch at a time, but the shape is right and they're inexpensive and can get you started with your BFL.

ssplam
Sep 12, 2004

Look Ma', no antennae!

Devi posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for beginners that they'd recommend? A LYS does offer spinning classes but it's not my favorite store and I'd rather not go to them unless it's a last resort. They also focus on wheels and I'd like to use a drop spindle. I've sunk enough money into this yarn thing for a while.

I was lucky enough to be taught by a member of my knitting group.. but she had an extra copy of a book that i bought from her. Its maybe a little on the super simple side, but it has a ton of good information on everything from how to get used to the spin of your tools, to analyzing the twist of your yarn.

http://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Old-Way-High-Whorl-Handspindle/dp/0966828984

This is the only book I have specific to drop spindling, so I can't speak much on any others, but it's one I'm happy to have on my bookshelf.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I just got TWELVE POUNDS of a beautiful butterscotch colored fleece! I see sweaters and socks and baby blankets and and and...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Is it already cleaned? If so, huzzah! 12 pounds!

Otherwise, plan to lose about 30-50% of that weight after the wash. :( (But that's still oodles of fiber, way to go)

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

For any NoVA area spinning goons, there is a Fiber Farmers Market today at the Vienna Community Center. It's being sponsored by my LYS.

http://uniquitiesyarnshop.com/?page_id=10

There will be a spinning circle, classes, drum carder demonstrations and usually booths by Virginia Fiber Mills and Spirit Trail Fibers. Goodbye, half my paycheck :shobon:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think I plied my latest yarn in the same way I spun it. I wondered why it didn't seem to be plying very well. I already washed and finished it, so do I just...deal? It seems to be holding together okay....overspun as hell, but I think I beat that out of it. (not that I can tell for sure until it dries)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Another option: Just spin it again in the opposite direction. You'll need to add lots of twist, since you're undoing the ply step to basically "re-ply" in the proper direction. Then set it some water, just like normal. Voila! I usually end up having to do it twice because I never get quite enough twist in the first go round, but if you're careful/pay more attention than me it shouldn't be an issue.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Thank you, SA for informing me that I could spin my own yarn without expensive equipment. There is a severe shortage of good yarn in my (Australian) town and I am sooooo happy to know I can make my own. Ordered a spindle and some fiber this morning ^_^

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

So I learned to core spin this week...

It looks like happy! :)

e: hurf durf I can't work imgur. Also, crappy cell phone pic. :(

TastesLikeChicken fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 21, 2011

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Just a heads up, the Respect the Spindle video is available for download for 10c for a couple of days, from Interweave. Its in their digital products section.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 28, 2011

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Big Bug Hug posted:

Just a heads up, the Respect the Spindle video is available for download for 10c for a couple of days, from Interweave.

Awesome, I've been meaning to get this for a while. Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Big Bug Hug posted:

Just a heads up, the Respect the Spindle video is available for download for 10c for a couple of days, from Interweave. Its in their digital products section.

Thank you so much, hope to learn this summer and couldn't pass it up for that cheap! Going to cross post to the knitting thread.

• Locked thread