Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Yep, that's it! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

This should be an easy one but I'm completely spacing on it. It's an anime from around 2004 or 2005, and is a sequel, but completely different in tone from the original. I think the first one was a high school harem romance or comedy and the sequel was over the top action parody. The first episode has a bunch of girls with machine guns fighting a monster on an airplane and bailing out one by one. The main male character was a detective or something and lived with twin girls who took care of him and his place and helped him out on jobs. One played guitar while the three of them lounged around during downtime.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

bagrada posted:

This should be an easy one but I'm completely spacing on it. It's an anime from around 2004 or 2005, and is a sequel, but completely different in tone from the original. I think the first one was a high school harem romance or comedy and the sequel was over the top action parody. The first episode has a bunch of girls with machine guns fighting a monster on an airplane and bailing out one by one. The main male character was a detective or something and lived with twin girls who took care of him and his place and helped him out on jobs. One played guitar while the three of them lounged around during downtime.

You're thinking of Futakoi (lame) and Futakoi Alternative (awesome).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Paracelsus posted:

You're thinking of Futakoi (lame) and Futakoi Alternative (awesome).

That's it exactly, I remembered it started with an F but my brain kept going to "Fumoffu". Thanks.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I saw a trailer for this real quick and it looked awesome, Had a dude and a chick and they were supposed to be assassins of some kind. Was advertised by Bandai, and looked pretty brutal.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, maybe?

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Qwertycoatl posted:

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, maybe?

Thats looking like a winner, thanks!

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
Ok, this is super vague, but I figure it's worth a shot. I'm looking for an anime I saw about 8 years ago or so. I only have really faded memories of it, but it's a dark-humor comedy where a girl ends up in bad situations and is injured in different ways while there's a narrator talking about how bad the situation is...?

As I re-read that description I realize that the chances are slim. Oh well. :eng99:

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Bartie posted:

Ok, this is super vague, but I figure it's worth a shot. I'm looking for an anime I saw about 8 years ago or so. I only have really faded memories of it, but it's a dark-humor comedy where a girl ends up in bad situations and is injured in different ways while there's a narrator talking about how bad the situation is...?

As I re-read that description I realize that the chances are slim. Oh well. :eng99:

You speak of Ippatsu Kikimusume ("Miss Critical Moment"), and it is indeed tremendously awesome. It's too bad we never got either higher quality video fansubs or a US release, but I'm not even sure as to whether it was even released on DVD. It did all get fansubbed though.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Daryl Surat posted:

You speak of Ippatsu Kikimusume ("Miss Critical Moment"), and it is indeed tremendously awesome. It's too bad we never got either higher quality video fansubs or a US release, but I'm not even sure as to whether it was even released on DVD. It did all get fansubbed though.

Wow, you nailed it! I need to see it again, thanks a million!

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I'm looking for an anime that I've only saw the OP of, but it was a cool OP and I remember it was a show I could have been interested in. It featured characters (I remember high school girls) bobbing their heads, with their heads obscured by a blackish blur. A poster has an avatar of this, or something very closely resembling it, which can be found here http://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-infinite_recursion-3.gif.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I just opened this thread for the first time and smirked at the discussion of The Noozles back on page one. I couldn't get people to believe it existed until I found some spergy cartoon geocities site back in the nineties. Having seen it on Nick I never knew it was an anime, though it makes perfect sense that it is in retrospect.

It generally sounds a lot crazier than it is, being meant for young children. The pseudo-fascist wallabies are pretty hilarious though. The plot shares a lot of similarities to "A Wrinkle in Time" but simplified and cutsied up.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

STiL. posted:

I'm looking for an anime that I've only saw the OP of, but it was a cool OP and I remember it was a show I could have been interested in. It featured characters (I remember high school girls) bobbing their heads, with their heads obscured by a blackish blur. A poster has an avatar of this, or something very closely resembling it, which can be found here http://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-infinite_recursion-3.gif.

I'm pretty sure thats from one of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OPs.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Kweh posted:

I'm pretty sure thats from one of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OPs.

The last one for the last OVA :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXdAnLzHA80

Mishko
Feb 19, 2011

FrankFumiaki posted:

This anime starred a kid who had a sword with a round hole in the hilt where you can fit ff7 style materia into. There are 7 or so of these materia things that he eventually tracks down. Most of them give him power of some sort, except one of them just sucked him into this alternate dimension instead. He wedging his sword between his geta and using the release of potential energy or something to spin himself out of the alternate dimension.

It was on during the early, early 90s in the cantonese speaking part of china, if that helps at all. I'm pretty sure it's of japanese origin like most cartoon shows in china at the time. saintseiya4ever.

From months ago, but this is definitely Yaiba, by Gosho Aoyama.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

STiL. posted:

Heh, I made this gif.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

SPACE DAD posted:

Does anyone remember a manga about these guys who are sooooort of like grim reapers or something, but they show up in suits and they seem to have to seperate souls from bodies in a timely manner, or else some kind of crazy soul corruption sets in or something? Maybe they only show up to suicides? There was one guy in a suit and glasses and he had a younger partner, I think. Some of those details about the plot might be wrong, but they definitely showed up at people's houses outta nowhere to deal with something to do with death.

This sounds like it might be Livingstone, but it's only got 5 chapters translated.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
That's it! Thanks! :)

KasualKon
Feb 11, 2011
Okay so maybe this is outside the scope of the thread, but I'm hunting down tracks from Cowboy Bebop, and there was one particularly funky track that plays about six minutes into the 17th episode, the one about Edward and Ein going out and searching for food. There's some vocals but the words are indistinguishable in the show. Help?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KasualKon posted:

Okay so maybe this is outside the scope of the thread, but I'm hunting down tracks from Cowboy Bebop, and there was one particularly funky track that plays about six minutes into the 17th episode, the one about Edward and Ein going out and searching for food. There's some vocals but the words are indistinguishable in the show. Help?

Chicken Bone.

KasualKon
Feb 11, 2011
Jesus, you guys are wizards. That's the one, thanks a ton.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I am asking for a friend who cannot remember the name of a certain anime he saw on adult swim awhile ago. He said he saw the said anime between 1998 and 1999.

What he can remember to desribe is this:

"The main point of the show, the one episode witnessed, was about a mixed martial arts style fight between two individuals. The scene that sticks in memory was when the bad guy walked onto a construction work yard and murdered three men. He proceeded to walk towards a crane and the man inside fired a shot at the guy. The man walking caught the bullet with his index and middle finger and flung it back at the man in the crane's cabin. It exploded his head and it was very gory. Later in the show was the MMA scene and that's it."

Well there ya go. I hope someone here knows what the gently caress he was talking about because I don't.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Petty sure that's from the Fatal Fury movie. He probably saw it on Sci-Fi.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay. I got two when I was a kid. It was on the SciFi Channel when they were showing anime. One was about robots? I remember seeing a mad scientist bringing a robot to life before getting squashed. (This was on the Disney movie "Blank Check" as well... Don't ask why I can remember that.)

The other one is more fuzzy. I think it was about a boy who's parents were working on a suit or something, and he got shot. The parents put him in the suit so he could live. The only scene I can remember from is when he has a nightmare about the villain getting a hold of his mother (?) who was a robotic bird - a swan perhaps - and getting schematics of his suit. I remember the suit have a golden boomerang perhaps?

Any help, fellow goons?

trias
Sep 21, 2008
Can anyone help me and identify this anime?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Looks like Wakfu, the animated series. Never actually seen it, but that art matches the game perfectly.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Okay. I got two when I was a kid. It was on the SciFi Channel when they were showing anime. One was about robots? I remember seeing a mad scientist bringing a robot to life before getting squashed. (This was on the Disney movie "Blank Check" as well... Don't ask why I can remember that.)

The other one is more fuzzy. I think it was about a boy who's parents were working on a suit or something, and he got shot. The parents put him in the suit so he could live. The only scene I can remember from is when he has a nightmare about the villain getting a hold of his mother (?) who was a robotic bird - a swan perhaps - and getting schematics of his suit. I remember the suit have a golden boomerang perhaps?

Any help, fellow goons?

Robot Carnival and the Casshern OVA.

trias
Sep 21, 2008

SPACE DAD posted:

Looks like Wakfu, the animated series. Never actually seen it, but that art matches the game perfectly.

And we got a hit.
Thank you very much kind sir.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Right on both counts! Thank you, goon sirs. I have to find these now and watch them again. (They were awesome when I was little - hopefully, they aged well.)

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anime used to show on SciFi back in the day. Was about two civilizations of all female space people, and they come upon the very first man to ever exist and battle over him. I remember the ship crashing into a planet... and surprise it was Earth all along!

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Liar posted:

Anime used to show on SciFi back in the day. Was about two civilizations of all female space people, and they come upon the very first man to ever exist and battle over him. I remember the ship crashing into a planet... and surprise it was Earth all along!

That's Gall Force: Eternal Story. I was never particularly a fan of the franchise, but I have a friend who considers it his favorite anime of all time. I dunno. Still seems middle-of-the-road to me.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
If I remember the show correctly, it was a race which had been murdered back to being mono-sexed clones vs a sexless protoplasm race. It was kind of interesting in that it was where a lot of animation staff of the 90s really cut their teeth... but I'm not really sure you could classify it as high art.

As I look up some side info on it, the big claim to fame of the time was the huge ensemble cast. I think every voice in the show was an A-list voice actor (mostly actresses) of the time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I have an animated gif of a disturbing image and I'd like to know the anime it is from. It is not work safe.

:nws: :nms: http://i.imgur.com/vBm6H.gif :nws: :nms:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure which version it is, but that is definitely Go Nagai's Devilman.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Packard Goose posted:

I have an animated gif of a disturbing image and I'd like to know the anime it is from. It is not work safe.

:nws: :nms: http://i.imgur.com/vBm6H.gif :nws: :nms:

Amon: Apocolypse of Devilman.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'm sure this is an easy one, but I can't remember the title for the life of me. It's a manga where one character draws the moe-est character ever for another. Which is a girl with all sorts of moe deformities, like being quadriplegic, having an eyepatch, and just generally being a horror.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

L-O-N posted:

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I can't remember the title for the life of me. It's a manga where one character draws the moe-est character ever for another. Which is a girl with all sorts of moe deformities, like being quadriplegic, having an eyepatch, and just generally being a horror.

Welcome to the NHK.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
That's it, thanks!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm looking for a manga that was about kids playing an MMO, where the main object was to reach the top of the tower. Somewhere along the line, they find a girl that feels pain when hit and has special powers. That's pretty much all I can remember.

I know it was released previous to 2006, when my friend bought some volumes from the store and got obsessed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The premise sounds almost exactly like something out of the .hack// series, but I don't think there were any .hack manga with a story like that. Hm.

• Locked thread