Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Taking notes?? :stare: Way to go the extra mile!

Despite my best intentions, I could not help but be drawn in by the completely bizarre premise of a boy with a girl for a hand, and started reading it. It's pretty amusing so far, actually, and remarkably not-creepy. I think I got the same feeling from Sumire when I first read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DrSunshine posted:

Taking notes?? :stare: Way to go the extra mile!

Despite my best intentions, I could not help but be drawn in by the completely bizarre premise of a boy with a girl for a hand, and started reading it. It's pretty amusing so far, actually, and remarkably not-creepy. I think I got the same feeling from Sumire when I first read it.

That's why I posted about it! Despite the weird premise and occasionally showing blatant nudity (but only breasts, nothing else), Midori Days is a very good series. On re-reading it, I don't think my younger self was wrong at all. I still really like it a lot.

I actually remembered it when I was thinking about Sumire 16 again. It's very similar to that in tone and sense of humor.

Fighting Falken posted:

I'd normally want to avoid creepy poo poo, but I'd be willing to give Midori Days a try if it's not a frequent thing. I won't like it, but I could ignore it as long as it isn't thrown in my face every few pages. I'll wait until we know exactly how bad it is, I'm not taking any second chances. :colbert:

It is statistically an "every once in a while" thing, and it's not even typical anime creepy stuff. There's just occasionally blatant boobs, because they don't actually make clothing for people's hands.

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS

Blatant Boob Shots (usually not even sexy so much as "boobs exist") happen every few chapters, and are mostly a result of having a girl on your hand, which is not a place where girls are supposed to be. Fanservice happens very, very rarely, and actually happens more often to a certain guy character than all the female characters put together, where it's played up as a joke. Nudity/Fanservice happens about 1 page out of every 3 or 4 chapters. Blatant nudity is far more common than panty shots, and it's more "yeah this is a thing that happens sometimes" than "wow look at how sexy this is." It's very much bearable.

Downside: There's definitely some harem-manga qualities here, and they're a bit stronger than I remember them being, in the beginning. It's a romcom with characters coming out of the woodwork to get involved in it. Not all of them are crushing on Seiji, which helps, but it's still a distressingly common plotline. That said, after chapter 30 the manga seems to become self-aware of the problem and mixes itself up quite a bit from there on out. After that tipping point, "other girl tries to get Seiji" happens once every 5 or 6 chapters, which makes it SIGNIFICANTLY less intrusive. The manga improves vastly from that point on, and it's still not bad before that. The strongest chapters involve Midori and Seiji just living daily life or solving some domestic/gangster based crisis, and there are a lot of those. The harem-y bits make a bit of a return with Lucy, and chapters involving her are basically the weakest point in the series.

My conclusion is that this is still absolutely worth reading and the fanservice and creepy bits are not common at all (once every three chapters at the worst of it). It has some "anime!" type shenanigans, like what you'd expect from a romcom manga, but the wacky premise and surprisingly good writing help a lot. Multiple chapters made me tear up or laugh out loud, and the ending flat out made me cry. Seiji and Midori are both absolutely adorable, and there actually is a plot to it. Go read it.

PS: Nao is the best character.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If you guys remember and liked Sexy Commando, Jaguar! is pretty close to that level of absurd daily life, with almost the same setup (completely ridiculous main character, and a completely normal sidekick). It's about Jaguar, a supernaturally gifted flute player, who gets a gig at teaching a recorder class at a music school, and drags his guitar playing friend with him, hoping to convert him to the joys of the recorder.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gnome7 posted:

My conclusion is that this is still absolutely worth reading and the fanservice and creepy bits are not common at all (once every three chapters at the worst of it). It has some "anime!" type shenanigans, like what you'd expect from a romcom manga, but the wacky premise and surprisingly good writing help a lot. Multiple chapters made me tear up or laugh out loud, and the ending flat out made me cry. Seiji and Midori are both absolutely adorable, and there actually is a plot to it. Go read it.

PS: Nao is the best character.

It's pretty cute, but the gags aren't really making me laugh that much, oddly. You're right about it not being fanservicey-- in fact it's almost kind of saccharine sweet, for a story about a delinquent with a girl for a hand. It's enjoyable, and usually the chapters have something heartwarming that makes me smile, but not quite the laugh riot I was hoping for.

EDIT: Bwahahaha. The bonus pages where the author talks about himself.

Edit2: Haha, actually the gags get a lot better starting around chapter 20 or 30 or so.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 8, 2012

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, I love that specific page so much. Really, after the author starts getting it out of his head that he can do okay without needing silly harem anime jokes, the manga gets a LOT better. Chapter 23 is the first Really Great chapter, and the gags get a lot better from that point on. It's got a bit during chapters 50-60 where it starts to get a bit drawn out, but the last 15 chapters or so are nonstop plot things that end the series with a solid bang.

Also I forgot to mention, but the blatant nudity/fanservice bits peter off a LOT as the series goes on. Like, there's about 14 moments total in the entire series that had nudity or panty shots, and 12 of them are before chapter 30. Out of 85 chapters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aw god, I just got to chapter 58 where he thinks about his first crush and tries to find the tree where they were gonna bury letters to each other, only to realize that it had been built over already. :smith:

I know how that feels.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Also I forgot to mention, but the blatant nudity/fanservice bits peter off a LOT as the series goes on. Like, there's about 14 moments total in the entire series that had nudity or panty shots, and 12 of them are before chapter 30. Out of 85 chapters.

This managed to fake me out when I was reading it, when I was on the later chapters I thought that stuff was done, then it showed up out of nowhere and shut me up. :v:

But overall I liked this series a lot. It was really entertaining to read, there's something awesome about watching some guy's hand drag around his lifeless body, and I think it wrapped out pretty well. It almost makes me want to read something else by this guy if they were funny, but I can only deal with so much fanservice before I decide to quit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god I remember reading that way back when. I wonder if it's as good as I remember?

Also, I just finished Angel Densetsu. Holy poo poo that was good, what else has the author written?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Oh god I remember reading that way back when. I wonder if it's as good as I remember?

Also, I just finished Angel Densetsu. Holy poo poo that was good, what else has the author written?

To date, his only other notable manga is Claymore, which is more like Berserk minus the rape.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm going to throw in another vote for Midori no Hibi and Sumire 16-Sai as being great reads. From my experience it seemed like Midori no Hibi was much better known than Sumire but that might just be because it had an anime made.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Tonari no Seki-kun - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c016/1.html

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bwahaha. Her "Oopsie" face in the second to last panel of the chapter is fantastic.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

These two are still the best pair ever, his absurd projects would only be half as amazing if he didn't have someone to comment on them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I just read through Angel Densetsu. Gosh that main character is a good kid. The art really changed as the series went on, too - the author's linework really improved a lot. This is a very good series and I highly recommend it to everyone.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Assassination Classroom

Assassination Classroom is made by Yuusei Matsui, the same guy who made Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. Assassination Classroom is your typical slice of life story about a classroom of junior high school students with the worst grades in their school. Pretty typical, except for their teacher, Koro-sensei. See, Koro-sensei is an alien squidmonster thing that can fly at speeds up to mach 20, can think fast enough to handle moving at such speeds, can regenerate from any wound, and also blew up most of the moon last month. In one year, Koro-sensei says he's going to blow up the entire Earth, and there's no reason to think he can't.

But as it turns out, he's always wanted to be a schoolteacher! So he struck a deal with the UN. For one year, Koro-sensei will teach a bunch of middle schoolers at the school of his choosing. In exchange, he must also teach them how to be expert assassins. If Koro-sensei is still alive by the time they graduate, he'll blow up the world. Getting killed is against his interests, but so is being anything less than the best teacher.

Other than how completely crazy the teacher is, however, the entire student body is mostly normal. The government is giving them as many weapons as they might possibly need to do the job, but it's still got general school problems like test taking and school politics and the teacher helping everyone to be their very best!

You know, normal stuff.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 21, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oooh, thanks for the nice writeup, gnome7. Assassination Classroom counts, solely on the basis of that awesome teacher. It's surprising how many expressions that face of his can have, despite the fact that it's barely more than a simple emoticon smiley face.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Sumire 16 makes no sense. The art isn't that good and the premise shouldn't work for more than a few chapters and yet, it is so good! Even though most chapters are one-off stories, characters evolve and you kinda care about them. One thing I specially liked was when the author drew the puppets as real people, signifying as if the person who sees them no longer perceives them as mere toys, but as a real person.

I would've liked to see what happened to the kids from grade school though, but it seemed that anyone who came into contact with the old man went on to have a positive future, so :shobon: .

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Abracadabra! It's a new Tonari no Seki-kun!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

This might be my favorite chapter, just on the basis of that smile.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DrSunshine posted:

Bwahaha. Her "Oopsie" face in the second to last panel of the chapter is fantastic.

TL Note: Aka-chan means baby.

...I don't remember the previous chapters being so badly translated. What happened?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

TL Note: Aka-chan means baby.

...I don't remember the previous chapters being so badly translated. What happened?

And today's isn't that badly translated either. Maybe they were having an off week?

Haha, I'm convinced now that Seki is just trolling Yokoi, and has been this whole time.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Assassination Classroom is amazing and I'm a little sad I read it all so fast. :(

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Wandering Knitter posted:

Assassination Classroom is amazing and I'm a little sad I read it all so fast. :(

There's not a lot of it to read yet, unfortunately. It does update weekly though!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I need to do more work on my money catapult, assassination classroom is good and should feel good.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Wow, Angel Densetsu was really really good. I like that it's totally insane, yet heart warming at the same time. The type of manga that leaves you feeling good when you've finished it.

Same for Sumire 16, too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've just finished reading Midori Days. It's awfully sweet and cute. It's not quite as insane as Sumire or Angel Densetsu, but it somehow also ends on a really nice heart warming note. It's all very tame, and has less fanservice than Sumire, so I encourage everyone to give it a try.

Here's another weird weird manga:

The Jungle Was Peaceful... Until Guu Arrived. I'll just copy-paste the description for now.

quote:

The story is about Hare, a 10 year old boy who lives with his mother Weda in a small village in a very strange jungle. Hare's mom is a bit of a "party girl" and likes to sleep in all day and party with her girl friends all night. Things change one evening when Weda comes home with a little "playmate" for Hare, a pretty little girl named Guu. But when Hare wakes up the next morning, Guu has "transformed" into a sullen, nasty and sarcastic joker who takes great pleasure in making Hare's life utterly miserable. Guu can also swallow anything, and regurgitate it whole. Guu also seems to have various magic powers, which lead Hare to consider her a demon of some sort, but he can't convince most other people of that.

It's just a shame that there aren't more chapters translated.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hare+Guu has an anime series that's been subbed (and at least partially dubbed), although I am very interested in the original manga. Wonder why so little has been translated; the anime was hilarious.

Meanwhile, read some of the stuff here. Sumire and Assassination Classroom are both great; does anyone know if the second volume of Sumire 17-sai has been fully translated somewhere, though? It only goes two chapters in everywhere I've looked.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oh man, Hare + Guu was an amazing anime. I've seen the entire thing, it's fantastic. I've never read the manga solely because of the lack of it being translated much. I really do recommend hunting down the subtitled anime. It is extremely silly.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Naruto ch. 12!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

I'm letting one body rest outside, after all.

What a good chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I agree! This new teacher seems like a pretty interesting enemy. I've always liked characters who devise intricate plans and use logic against their enemies.

The main character boy still looks totally like a girl to me, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

gnome7 posted:

I'm letting one body rest outside, after all.

What a good chapter.

This really is a great manga.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

I agree! This new teacher seems like a pretty interesting enemy. I've always liked characters who devise intricate plans and use logic against their enemies.

Me too, but I'm the tiniest bit disappointed to see the "Class E scum must know their place" theme taken to the extreme like that. School needs a scapegoat class to keep the others motivated, fine. But why does it have to be a permanent status? If anything, the possibility of an E-classer clawing their way back and taking your spot, in addition to the pressure not to gently caress up and lose it, would just increase your motivation, right? But I guess villains should be real dickbags, all in all, so it's a really minor quibble.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

Boku to Issho is a manga about two young brothers who've run away from home and started living on the streets.

It's pretty short (49 chapters) and plenty surreal. It's worth a read I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just coming to say that the Angel Densetsu manga about the guy with the horrifying face is pretty hilarious. Read about 25 chapters of it in one sitting.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Assassination Classroom 13

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Welp, I guess I take back what I said about "Class E scum must know their place!" Korosensei's gonna make sure everyone gets back on track!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Assassination Classroom 14!

The system still sucks.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

If this were an American comic I'd call this one big satire on No Child Left Behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Giant Monsters as a metaphor is always fun

• Locked thread