Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, even if the setting and plot aren't super deep or amazing I am still probably going to end up watching most of it because the gun makes people explode. The scenery is also pretty cool. Coincidentally Blame! owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

MagicalDuck posted:

I love Madoka and Fate/zero, but I hated this.

If you judged Madoka and Fate/Zero by their first episodes they'd have been pretty lovely too. Fate/Zero especially was even more egregious of an infodump than this first episode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sarcophallus posted:

If you judged Madoka and Fate/Zero by their first episodes they'd have been pretty lovely too. Fate/Zero especially was even more egregious of an infodump than this first episode.

The infodumps at the start of Fate/Zero also didn't give the vague impression that the main character had turned up for the wrong job.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The infodumps at the start of Fate/Zero also didn't give the vague impression that the main character had turned up for the wrong job.

Waver kind of did turn up for the wrong job, though.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Having only finished Fate/Zero within the last few days, I can assure you that sitting through the info-dump that was the first episode of it, and indeed the second and third episodes were VASTLY more excruciating to watch than the first episode of Psycho-pass.

Also Waver was the only cool character in the opening arc, by contrast to Miss AnyViolenceIsPoliceBrutality who was passable but really the weakest character there.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 16, 2012

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010

Relin posted:

Maybe this show is a commentary on japan's abnormally high conviction rate (99.7% in 2007, there's more on it on wikipedia), idk

It seems like the sort of thing that would make a 14 year old really think, but at my age its message is quite passe. If there's more gore I'll stick around (I am a 12 year old)

The anime is about two things in my opinion: Treating crime as a public health issue and a commentary about japan's abnormally high conviction rate (due to it's focus on producing confessions instead of actually solving crimes)

Other questions that should be answered: What did the characters mean as "therapy" in the first episode? And what are their living conditions of the enforcers outside of their policing activities?

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Jkid posted:

Other questions that should be answered: What did the characters mean as "therapy" in the first episode? And what are their living conditions of the enforcers outside of their policing activities?

Jail. Also, the basic premise reminds me a bit of The Minority Report.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fred Dawes posted:

Also, the basic premise reminds me a bit of The Minority Report.

You're not the first person to observe that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Jkid posted:

What did the characters mean as "therapy" in the first episode?

Probably just a visit to the psychologist's office to address what has you teetering on the edge of alleged criminal behavior.

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

SpazmasterX posted:

Probably just a visit to the psychologist's office to address what has you teetering on the edge of alleged criminal behavior.

Hopefully more like a hard meeting with the chemical cosh.

If most of society is valium'd up to the eyeballs everything would make a lot more sense.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I would assume therapy involves something extreme since the anime hasn't been subtle. And if therapy wasn't a big deal then a guy probably wouldn't carve up a girl while raping her just because he was told to get some therapy. Probably.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

I enjoyed the first episodes of both of those.

The reasons I didn't like Psycho-Pass were:
1. It was trying too hard to be edgy.
2. The idea that being raped made someone a danger to society.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

MagicalDuck posted:

I enjoyed the first episodes of both of those.

The reasons I didn't like Psycho-Pass were:
1. It was trying too hard to be edgy.

Somehow I don't think the audience is supposed to agree with 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MagicalDuck posted:

I don't think we're supposed to take that at face value. Either it actually doesn't and Friend Computer is lying to us, or if it does it's only because something's gone seriously wrong with the collective human psyche and the actual cause is as-yet unrevealed.

I'm not certain if Urobuchi's capable of justifying the imagery he's using here, though. I like some of his work and loathe other parts, but even the good stuff isn't exactly subtle.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 17, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't want to get social justice wailed at but if you accept that being raped is a traumatising event then there is some factual credence to the idea that it would make someone more mentally unstable, and thus more likely to commit a crime of some sort by the metrics that SIBYL is using. This may have just been JAPAN exaggerating that because JAPAN and also because it added a bit of drama to the episode.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Srice posted:

I would assume therapy involves something extreme since the anime hasn't been subtle. And if therapy wasn't a big deal then a guy probably wouldn't carve up a girl while raping her just because he was told to get some therapy. Probably.

It didn't sound like he was worried about the therapy itself. It sounded like he was worried about the social consequences; he said he'd never be able to get a job or a wife because of it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The show isn't saying you're more likely to be a criminal after being raped it's the plot hook. The system doesn't account for elevated stress or excited emotions when ranking people. As showed when the woman was talked down by Akane or when her level jumped when the rapist showed her her levels.

This is a giant obvious flaw in the system that everyone but Akane doesn't seem to give a poo poo about. This being a dystopian future there is probably a giant conspiracy about it that would unravel society if uncovered and Akane and the male lead are probably going to get wind of and investigate.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was quite entertained by the first episode. It was pretty bad for reasons already stated, but it didn't BORE me, which is what a lot of anime has done to me a long time, now.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
This is an interesting article that goes into some pretty interesting details about the potential origin of Psycho-Pass as a fanfic visual novel Urobuchi wrote a while ago after he saw the movie Equilibrium.

If the stuff discussed in that post hold true, than that pretty much explains exactly why Psycho-Pass is so terrible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man at this point I'm not really even looking forward to episode 2 as much as I am the internet's collective reaction to it, if episode 1 was any indication.

laplace posted:

This is an interesting article that goes into some pretty interesting details about the potential origin of Psycho-Pass as a fanfic visual novel Urobuchi wrote a while ago after he saw the movie Equilibrium.

If the stuff discussed in that post hold true, than that pretty much explains exactly why Psycho-Pass is so terrible.

This article owns pretty hard. Yes, Psycho-Pass and Equilibrium are both about what is effectively the same organization. The Enforcers of Psycho-Pass have guns and shoot people, and so do the Clerics in Equilibrium. Thus they are the same. :bravo:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 18, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Urobuchi wrote that fanfic, and he probably got some inspiration from Equilibrum, but I doubt he literally just copy pasted that old fanfic to make an anime.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's especially dumb since there's a far more obvious inspiration for Psycho-Pass: Minority Report, as plenty of other people have observed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al dystopian science fiction is influenced by/homages/rips off either 1984 or Brave New World or, more often than not, both.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Al dystopian science fiction is influenced by/homages/rips off either 1984 or Brave New World or, more often than not, both.

Pfft, scrubs. Anyone worth their salt references The Time Machine and Fahrenheit 451. :smug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Episode 2 was pretty interesting. I am not feeling the OP at all, though. The song is alright but the animation is pretty :shepface:.

The setting development this episode was also pretty cool, and didn't seem nearly as forced as Ep 1. So it turns out the dystopian future is actually a anti-utopian future with a nice thick coat of holograms applied to everything so it seems a bit less lovely. The Equilibrium comparisons are a bit more apt now, but at the same time there are some heavy Brave New World vibes going on. At one point in the episode mood altering drugs are mentioned, which I'm guessing work sort of like Soma.

Also it was pretty nice to see someone get mad at the MC for complaining about how hard her life is.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Giggily posted:

Man at this point I'm not really even looking forward to episode 2 as much as I am the internet's collective reaction to it, if episode 1 was any indication.

This article owns pretty hard. Yes, Psycho-Pass and Equilibrium are both about what is effectively the same organization. The Enforcers of Psycho-Pass have guns and shoot people, and so do the Clerics in Equilibrium. Thus they are the same. :bravo:

It wasn't so much about the fact that Equilibrium and Psycho-Pass have similarities as it is the fact that the Visual Novel Urobuchi wrote before this could have been used as inspiration for Psycho-Pass, considering how the novel deviates in the same ways that Psycho-Pass does. It's not the derivative matter that was the issue, but rather the fact that Urobuchi has been toying with these ideas already and they haven't worked for him. I've read the Novel and it definitely isn't his best work (Gun Kata? Please) and the same problems arise in Psycho-Pass.

laplace fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 18, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 2 was still info-dump overload, but was much less stupid and actually did a good job of showing us more what the world was like instead of having someone stand around telling us.

Also they made it sound like the 'training' she got for the job was just an aptitude test then they dumped her on her first day, which makes her reaction more likely but is still very silly.

coathat
May 21, 2007

That was one boring episode. Some atrocious dialog going on there in the hospital too. I can't really find a single positive thing to say about the show at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

laplace posted:

It's not the derivative matter that was the issue, but rather the fact that Urobuchi has been toying with these ideas already and they haven't worked for him.
He wrote it nearly 10 years ago. I think he's allowed to give the concept another go after that long.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

laplace posted:

It wasn't so much about the fact that Equilibrium and Psycho-Pass have similarities as it is the fact that the Visual Novel Urobuchi wrote before this could have been used as inspiration for Psycho-Pass, considering how the novel deviates in the same ways that Psycho-Pass does. It's not the derivative matter that was the issue, but rather the fact that Urobuchi has been toying with these ideas already and they haven't worked for him. I've read the Novel and it definitely isn't his best work (Gun Kata? Please) and the same problems arise in Psycho-Pass.

Gun Kata is from Equilibrium. Like, reading over that dude's article it sounds like the VN he made was literally just Equilibrium fanfiction with nothing changed.

Sakurazuka posted:

Also they made it sound like the 'training' she got for the job was just an aptitude test then they dumped her on her first day, which makes her reaction more likely but is still very silly.

I dunno, it doesn't really seem silly to me. She's basically told to go report in, reports in and is told to go to that crime scene, and then without really being told anything is supposed to do her job because they're so short-staffed.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

He wrote it nearly 10 years ago. I think he's allowed to give the concept another go after that long.

I agree he's allowed to give the concept a go, and whether or not people complain isn't going to stop the production or anything, I'm just saying I saw similar problems with it as I did these first two episodes of Psycho-Pass. He's clearly been toying with the ideas for forever, and that's good, but so far there hasn't really been any evolution and the writing in the anime isn't very good, something that was an issue in that VN anyway.

I'm not hating on it just to hate on it or anything, I'm just saying there are similarities there and it's interesting to think about. Psycho-Pass so far is a mess and this seems to be the origin of the ideas. I read the VN this morning and it was pretty short and honestly not worth the time, but if anyone else wants to read it and talk about it I think that'd be cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Giggily posted:

I dunno, it doesn't really seem silly to me. She's basically told to go report in, reports in and is told to go to that crime scene, and then without really being told anything is supposed to do her job because they're so short-staffed.

That's the sort of thing that happens on your first day at Walmart, not a job where you have peoples lives in your hands. However, after thinking about it, considering how controlled society is and how you're simply supposed to do whatever the Sybil system tells you to do, it doesn't seem that unlikely any more.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

laplace posted:

Equilibrium is one of my favorite movies and Jouka no Monshou was fun so I don't see what the problem is.

Giggily posted:

Gun Kata is from Equilibrium. Like, reading over that dude's article it sounds like the VN he made was literally just Equilibrium fanfiction with nothing changed.

Jouka no Monshou is Equilibrium fanfiction that takes place before the events of the movie and is basically just a big gun kata sperge fest. It's great.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 18, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I watched the opening and it's ultra rad. Love the style and the tone it sets. It's quite the shame Psycho-Pass is absolutely nothing like the OP though. Yes, I'm well aware it's standard practice to have an opening sequence miles better than the series itself.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I liked the second episode. The infodump was still there, but not as drastic or as jarring as in the first, and the Enforcers seem like cool dudes. There were a couple of dropped hints to later plot threads I hope come up. Kogami not being EDGY all the time was refreshing too.

E:

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Second episode hasn't chased me off this show yet, and was actually a lot less off-putting than the first one. This show is basically Ghost in the Shell plus some other stuff that isn't as good, which still means it's way better than something that ISN'T at least PARTIALLY Ghost in the Shell. I really like the design aesthetics of the setting, even if the character designs are... I mean that chick's eyes are SO big, goddamn...

The way Kougami seemed excited about potentially getting to behave like a cop instead of a criminal-seeking missile struck me as neato. Then he goes and ruins it by talking about his FATED CONFRONTATION with a MYSTERIOUS FIGURE from his DARK PAST who is probably another SUPER HANDSOME GUY :argh: anime!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Paracelsus posted:

I get the feeling that a lot of this society functions very automatically (from the psycho-pass scanning to the robo-guards to the guns' target analysis to the very idea of Sybil), so someone just said "top of her class, must be good to go" and that was the end of it.
Sounds like this more-or-less panned out; she met the system's credentials, so there wasn't any objection. It's just that the system's credentials aren't necessarily very good.

It struck me how very unmoved the people at the mall were by the sight of the cops in holo-suits subduing and removing someone. They didn't seem to notice it at all. And the overly-cheery kawaii police bot outfits felt like they infantilized the populace, by assuming that putting a cheery face on the affair makes it okay. The scary thing is that it seems to work.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
I hate Kogami so much. The rest of the show's getting better. I liked this episode better than the first for sure.

I'm wondering if every place if the city hologram-decorated, and if they're all really sitting in dark rooms with blank walls.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked how her friends envying her mental health deliberately mirrored that conversation you see in every anime ever about the girl who can eat as much as she wants without getting fat.

Also the analyst and enforcer adjusting their clothes as she shows up. I wonder if being gay qualifies you as a latent criminal.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Blew through the first two episodes just now, this owns. I definitely agree that this civilization looks a lot like an anti-utopia, with its bright and cheery holographic facades on top of an unpleasant truth. I totally wasn't expecting the spiky-haired guy to flip his poo poo when the main character started talking about how she had such a tough choice to make, if the show can keep up these little moments of characterization (and also keep up the intrigue about the setting) I think we've got a great show in the works here.

• Locked thread