Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm curious as to why it's been so long since Knights of Sidonia has had a new release. From what I understand the manga is actually on chapter 57, but your general english translations out there are still on 49. Anyone know the reason beyond "Nobody is bothering to translate"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I just marathoned the translated versions of this to an all-muse soundtrack and I'm a huge fan of this kind of weirdness. There's definitely a few things I didn't pick up on by the looks of it, but I was probably just distracted by the incredibly well drawn environments.

I just hope the next issues get translated soon.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm curious as to why it's been so long since Knights of Sidonia has had a new release. From what I understand the manga is actually on chapter 57, but your general english translations out there are still on 49. Anyone know the reason beyond "Nobody is bothering to translate"?

The group who where originally scanlating it where asked to stop by vertical when it got licensed and they complied. The last volume they translated was volume 9. Volume 10 was translated by anons. Otherwise there is no particular reason.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm curious as to why it's been so long since Knights of Sidonia has had a new release. From what I understand the manga is actually on chapter 57, but your general english translations out there are still on 49.

It's being officially translated and released by Vertical. I'd expect the english volume with chapter 50 to come out in Q4 2014.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So is this like, Eclipse Phase the manga?

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

It's being officially translated and released by Vertical. I'd expect the english volume with chapter 50 to come out in Q4 2014.

According to Amazon, volume 10 is August and volume 11 is October.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Bad Moon posted:

So is this like, Eclipse Phase the manga?
Only in the broad sense of being pretty transhuman (though less so than Eclipse Phase in some regards) and having inhuman horrors in the setting. But it's easily one of the more transhuman manga I've ever seen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eclipse Phase is incredibly weird, it's a deliberate mish-mash of a whole slew of late 00's singulatarian science fiction, so there's a ton of thematic inconsistencies built into the setting. Sidonia is its own thing, it's much more conservative, but that gives room for the setting and characters to stand on its own legs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Read it, then went back and read the Wolverine: Snikt!, and thought "oh it's this but in spaaaaace with mecha!"

Okay, that's a pretty drastic simplification, but the author definitely has some recurrent themes beyond just a name of a thing as a wink & nod to a prior work. Though it's hardly a sin for an author's work to be derivative of an author's prior work. I really enjoyed Knights of Sidonia, thanks for the recommendation Zorak, feel like if it weren't for HSDK I'd be batting a thousand for quality manga. Fuckin' HSDK. :mad:

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Appears to have a new trailer for the TV series, showcasing a mecha scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVaxGqCN9k

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Appears to have a new trailer for the TV series, showcasing a mecha scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVaxGqCN9k

Ugh, who the hell thought transferring Sidonia's really organic looking artwork to CGI would be a good idea. Also, is it just me or are there parts where the framerate is low?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ugh, who the hell thought transferring Sidonia's really organic looking artwork to CGI would be a good idea. Also, is it just me or are there parts where the framerate is low?

It does look plastic-y, but Nihei's art was never going to translate very well to the screen- not on a TV budget. It's just too detailed to be easily animated.

This will suit the mechs, at least.

EDIT: I can't decide, is that cel-shaded or just untextured?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It might just be youtube but yeah the framerate looks low. Easiest comparison I can make is trying to run a videogame you only barely have the specs for, wow.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Well he is playing a video game in that scene. But yeah, I honestly don't mind the CG, but that frame-rate.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I was also really disappointed the blame anime was cg, as it looked awful.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I think it's actually Youtube that's making the framerate too low. Anyways I'm off to the bookstore to pick up volume 7 finally.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I think that's probably the poorest method they could have picked for trying to represent the combat artwork. Which is a shame, too, because even with the only vaguely comprehensible, sort of "psychosexually feminine meets Lovecraft" nature of the Gauna, the combat stuff is really well done in the manga and it all remains very coherent. As far as the framerate goes, I'm open to the notion that this is just a bad youtube upload, but even if it's not, I really feel like they should have animated this a little more conventionally.

I'm not saying they ought to hand-draw everything or something ridiculous like that, rather that going with 3D - cel shaded or whatever - is a poor fit for the manga's representation of how everything is crucial because of the carefully but desperately managed scarcity, with gear from the top to the bottom patched together but with everyone still determined to keep it all clean and functional. If that makes sense.

There's no compelling reason this should have been done with 3D CGI, but there are several I can think of that it should not.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I actually like the CG style they're going for, with one exception. I think the show would look much worse if it was done as a partial CG thing, like Valvrave, since that is really loving hard to get it to blend right with 2D backgrounds/characters. The real big thing is that the faces look like they've had one too many botox shots and can't move at all. If the art style were more "cartoony" like Tron Uprising they could have gotten away with that, but it seems like they're trying to keep the designs more realistic while also maintaining the original art.

On the other hand, who knows how much budget they've got going into this? Animating fight scenes is expensive with 2D, especially considering that the Gauna have very complex attacks with the whole tentacle swarm thing they've got going.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Some day Japan will get quality 3D Rigs and set aside the computational time necessary to render scenes with much better detail and animation. This is well before that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Triggerhappypilot posted:

On the other hand, who knows how much budget they've got going into this? Animating fight scenes is expensive with 2D, especially considering that the Gauna have very complex attacks with the whole tentacle swarm thing they've got going.

TV budgets are never big enough to do a decent looking 3D CGI show, because 3D CGI requires a large upfront cost to produce all the assets. Trying to do it as a cost cutting measure means the show is going to look downright terrible. I mean some shows somewhat manage to get around this by mainly focusing on the character models, but the environments always end up looking empty, ugly and boring.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Binged on this over a few days after trying out the first few chapters ages ago. Slightly torn on the manga all told. I love the setting, the world building, the mechs, the tone and even some of the slice of life bits - but on the other hand Tanikaze and Izana are kind of dull and trying protagonists and a lot of the humor falls flat for me, because it's just more of that "guy gets hurt due to jealousy/sexual misunderstandings" stuff that Japan seems to absolutely adore. I actually found myself audibly sighing and rolling my eyes during the latest scanlated volume when En and her sister/clone kicked the door at Tanikaze. Some of the slice of life stuff is great, like the gravity festival and the "100 sights of Sidonia" stuff on the covers, because it gives a nice insight to the nature of life on the Sidonia, how low-tech and used up a lot of the culture is, but the harem aspects are dull as hell. What's worse is that Nihei has had the seeds there for cool side characters on occasion, but usually just kills them. Like the girl who disliked Tanikaze for special treatment when she'd had to claw for her position as pilot, with all of her "town" banding together to congratulate her about it. She could have been a good contrast to him. Instead the manga is focusing on a guy who's near Kira Yamato levels of dull super pilot.

Fortunately, for all the griping I just did the good parts of the manga definitely outshine the bad and it's still an enjoyable and engrossing read.

Schubalts posted:

Nihei just likes talking bears that nobody treats any differently from a regular human, and who can blame him?

I'm not that familiar with Nihei having only read Knights so far, but I do wonder if these characters are a reference to Wojtek the soldier bear? It's the kind of amazingly cool thing that deserves reference at the very least. Could just be coincidence like Guts from Berserk and Gotz von Berlichingen apparently is too.

muike posted:

I kind of hope that the Gauna aren't the result of a human experiment, I think it would be more interesting. That being said, I think they probably are, and Nihei is good at what he does so I think it'll be interesting, whatever we learn about the Gauna.

There's a Sidonia thread on /m/ at the moment where someone has pointed out that Nihei did a short story a while back about two alien species who spend ages warring against each other, evolving constantly to be more like each other as time and the war goes on, only for it to end in sex. The guy posting it pointed out that as the human/gauna war goes on each side is adapting traits of the other (notably Tsumugi/Benisuzumi), so he could be reusing elements of that short story and planning to end it in union of some kind. Given all the talk so far in the manga about how maybe the gauna are possibly trying to communicate but are unable to due to the massive biological differences this does seem quite likely.

muike posted:

I'd say go chronologically. Start with Blame! In addition to seeing how he grows as an artist, it'll give you a way to see how he uses ideas and names in different ways. Be warned though: Abara does deal with creatures called Gauna which may or may not give insight to what they are in Sidonia. I would say it probably isn't directly related to Sidonia though.

I tried reading Blame! a few times over the years, but I always give up by the end of the first chapter because I honestly cannot follow the flow of the fight involved and just what's supposed to be happening. I can kind of get what's supposed to have happened by the end, but the action being so hard to follow is very off-putting (same with Trigun). Is it that bad the whole way through/for most people? Or am I just bad at following action?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nihei himself apparently. I don't know how true it is, but someone (/m/ again - take with a massive grain of salt) said that he wanted it in CGI. They may just be getting confused with the fact that Nihei originally wanted to design the mechs, specifically the Type-17 Tsugumori in photoshop or some other 3D software according to the volume releases though.

If the art style were more "cartoony" like Tron Uprising they could have gotten away with that, but it seems like they're trying to keep the designs more realistic while also maintaining the original art.

I really wish some of the Japanese studios would poach a couple of animators from some American studios if they're going to keep using CGI. I don't even mind CGI, but American studios are a lot better at it than they are and can make entire shows out of it that actually look good (if scarce, as IShallRiseAgain pointed out) - especially Tron and the new Turtles offering. Getting a few guys over to teach them how to do so would help a given studios shows stand out and put them ahead of the competition. Sadly, insular as Japan apparently is, this is unlikely to happen.

Edit: Also, Autonomous Monster, minor thing, but Yuhata Midorikawa's hair color is green, not red/brown as you said in your big character sheet.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

tsob posted:

I really wish some of the Japanese studios would poach a couple of animators from some American studios if they're going to keep using CGI. I don't even mind CGI, but American studios are a lot better at it than they are and can make entire shows out of it that actually look good (if scarce, as IShallRiseAgain pointed out) - especially Tron and the new Turtles offering. Getting a few guys over to teach them how to do so would help a given studios shows stand out and put them ahead of the competition. Sadly, insular as Japan apparently is, this is unlikely to happen.

Most of that comes down to the amount of time they spend doing the leg work before hand on improving their model tech, and the amount of time spent actually generating the scenes in question (that is, the level of detail they're able to capture). Japan's "Use manpower to brute force poo poo out" approach really isn't compatible.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It'd probably cost more to fly one american over and pay him than to make like the entire show

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

tsob posted:

Edit: Also, Autonomous Monster, minor thing, but Yuhata Midorikawa's hair color is green, not red/brown as you said in your big character sheet.

Oh. Right. Yeah, I was paging through the manga (which is greyscale, obviously), trying to pick out any big, obvious features that would help people recognise a character, and the thought process was basically "not black, not blonde, some sort of midtone", and wrote that as "red and/or brown" because those're the sort of colours peoples' hair generally comes in.

I guess the clever idea would be to go back and just put "midtone" for those characters. :effort:

tsob posted:

a lot of the humor falls flat for me, because it's just more of that "guy gets hurt due to jealousy/sexual misunderstandings" stuff that Japan seems to absolutely adore. I actually found myself audibly sighing and rolling my eyes during the latest scanlated volume when En and her sister/clone kicked the door at Tanikaze.

I actually find those jokes strangely hilarious- not, necessarily, for their own sake (because I have seen this joke ten thousand times over already and it wasn't that funny the first loving time), but because it's Tsutomu Nihei telling them. That is so surreal to me, it is the surrealist thing, it is like a giraffe going past on a unicycle while playing a trombone. HOW ARE YOU PLAYING THAT TROMBONE GIRAFFE YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE HANDS.

tsob posted:

Instead the manga is focusing on a guy who's near Kira Yamato levels of dull super pilot.

Tanikaze is, yeah, a lot more interesting for what he is (deathless clone of what was basically Sidonia's God of War) than who he is. That could change, I guess- he is still something of a blank slate- but it's been ten volumes already.

tsob posted:

I tried reading Blame! a few times over the years, but I always give up by the end of the first chapter because I honestly cannot follow the flow of the fight involved and just what's supposed to be happening. I can kind of get what's supposed to have happened by the end, but the action being so hard to follow is very off-putting (same with Trigun). Is it that bad the whole way through/for most people? Or am I just bad at following action?

I love Blame!- I think it was my very first ever manga?- but the action is very hard to follow. I think that first fight is the worst, though- I remember the sequences in and outside Toha being much more comprehensible, as well as the section with Dhomochevsky. Though the bit right near the end where Cibo is impregnated and transformed into the ultra-safeguard(?) is a bitch to follow.

Biomega's a little easier on that front (as long as everyone keeps their mouths shut, oh boy), so maybe try that?

EDIT: I think all of the trash mob fights before Cibo show up basically follow the same pattern of "Oh hey it's these guys -> let's fight -> poo poo explodes -> Killy uses the GBE -> all the poo poo explodes, everywhere, all the time, forever"- if you can get that much out of them you don't really need to follow every little detail.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 22, 2014

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it's the continuation of what happened in the Arpeggio of Blue Steel anime. Where they actually run things at a lower framerate to simulate the hand-drawn jerkiness of a normal, 2D show.

To be fair, just by the trailers alone it looks a hell of a lot better than Arpeggio CG was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31QP4SE3Gw

As long as they get their motion done well, and the characters aren't positioned at weird angles, it'll be fine. (But then again, I unironically enjoyed the hell out of arpeggio, wonky art style and all.)

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZU1UDBomdE

New video!

Twitter account is up too.
https://twitter.com/SIDONIA_anime

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

I still dont like the way the cg looks on the characters, but on the other hand im pretty hyped for this.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Looks like it's already licensed for streaming in the US via netflix.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Zorak posted:

Looks like it's already licensed for streaming in the US via netflix.

I believe I read that Netflix is streaming it after the season is over since Netflix likes to release the entire season at once.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I like the setting and all the futuristic stuff. I just hate the fact there's not much backhistory and context to make it feel meaningful. The characters do have some fun slice of life stuff but there's a problem when a lot of characters look the same and I have to figure out old characters again and why they are important. Also general plot things just kind of happen with no real effect on the character's slice of life. The world inside the sidonia is just static despite complete residential areas getting destroyed in combat/using heavy weaponry. I would like to know more about the social context of all the characters and why and how they live the lives they live.

Also, like the rest of this guy's mangas, I have difficulty following the combat in addition to following the plotlines and what effect they have on the sidonia and greater politics that go on. The series is almost there but it's just disjointed enough for me to not care too much about it.

I do like the drawing though. Fantastic scenery porn for sure. Just wish there were more varied character design because all the women look the same.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

Just wish there were more varied character design because all the women look the same.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPW0W7lY2Bs

This actually looks pretty good now. I think they really upped the quality of their CG after the first few trailers.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Oh Snapalope posted:

This actually looks pretty good now. I think they really upped the quality of their CG after the first few trailers.

I like it. The faces are a lot more fluid than the earlier previews. then again, nobody had any expression in those in the first place.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's also a larger preview of the opening song.

Spoiler: It's not by Muse.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 3, 2014

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spoiler: It's not by Muse.

Dropping the show before it even comes out. :smug:

It's actually a pretty neat op, but I generally enjoy Angela's stuff

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If this doesn't get an official sub while it's airing, I'm hoping whatever fansub group that does it replaces the OP with Muse.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Dropping the show before it even comes out. :smug:

It's actually a pretty neat op, but I generally enjoy Angela's stuff

I like angela a lot because Atsuko has a really nice voice and can actually sing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zorak posted:

If this doesn't get an official sub while it's airing, I'm hoping whatever fansub group that does it replaces the OP with Muse.

I actually just double-checked, and it seems that Hulu is actually simulcasting it on a slight delay. (Episodes up after they air in Japan.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OWLS! posted:

I actually just double-checked, and it seems that Hulu is actually simulcasting it on a slight delay. (Episodes up after they air in Japan.)

so Netflix didn't secure exclusive rights after all?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Oh Snapalope posted:

Huh, that's a lot more watchable. Cautiously optimistic for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Hahah true. You know what I mean :).

I have a feeling the Cg is still going to look terrible. It was bad in berserk and they had a lot more resources to do that and it still looked bad.

• Locked thread