Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad to see there are folks out there turning the room into a more "giggle/squee" type of experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Squallege posted:

My friends and I had no clue about the scripted heckling bits when we went until we got a pamphlet of what we're supposed to say and when. The clear answer was not to do that because that's dumb.
The gently caress? That never happened at any screenings I went to...

And nah, it's pretty fun to join in :v:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tucked In The Cut posted:

Glad to see there are folks out there turning the room into a more "giggle/squee" type of experience

What's giggle/squee?

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I really go back and forth on the room. I have always loved B-movies because behind all of the badness there is a heart. The Room really has no real heart so much as self-aggrandizing. That said it is so insane and so over the top that I keep coming back to it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Optimist with doubt posted:

I really go back and forth on the room. I have always loved B-movies because behind all of the badness there is a heart. The Room really has no real heart so much as self-aggrandizing. That said it is so insane and so over the top that I keep coming back to it.

I think it all comes down to Tommy Wiseau just being a fascinating human being. It's almost like a tragedy playing out in real time and you keep struggling to justify whether it's real or not. Have any of you seen the "Tommy Wi-Show" where he plays video games on youtube? It's something else.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014

I disagree. I feel that part of The Room's appeal is how bizarrely sincere the entire thing is. Tommy feels that good people are manipulated, so make a character drive somebody to suicide. Tommy feels that drugs are a problem, so show that drugs can lead to violence, and have the most morally questionable character smoke pot. The dialogue, if the book is to be believed, is a mixture of Tommy's speech and an editor's desperate attempt to make is all comprehensible. This leads to the charmingly confused narrative and a heartfelt lunacy.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Dusseldorf posted:

What's giggle/squee?

In essence, something that appeals to 13-17 year-old girls, i.e. Rocky Horror. It makes it a semi-mechanical, easily digestible weirdness as opposed to the collective mockery/comedic bits of the collective. It scripts a series of highly-memenic responses inciting giggles as opposed to off the cusp joker-y and jovial-ness.

In summary, something goons don't like.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 20, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

But there's definitely heart and it's what separates The Room from SciFi Movies of the Week. Wiseau clearly had his heart destroyed at some point and this disaster was the best way he could channel that anguish into something that let him tell his story. That's beautiful.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Rocky Horror... something goons don't like.

Are you from Bizarro World? The only person I've seen saying anything negative about Rocky Horror (or even the particular variation of it you're talking about) in my entire time on SA was met with everyone immediately jumping down his throat.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Are you from Bizarro World? The only person I've seen saying anything negative about Rocky Horror (or even the particular variation of it you're talking about) in my entire time on SA was met with everyone immediately jumping down his throat.

S/he was referring specifically to the "giggle/squee" concept, and describing the concept (and the animosity towards it) pretty accurately. It basically boils down to "you're not liking it right," combined with a generally anger towards "sheeple" commodifying the "weird."

Maybe the edit came after your post, but I don't think they were stating any personal opinions about Rocky Horror. Also, there a lot of goons who get really mad about Rocky Horror (there was just a thread that descended into a pages-long derail on the very subject).

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The Modern Leper posted:

S/he was referring specifically to the "giggle/squee" concept, and describing the concept (and the animosity towards it) pretty accurately. It basically boils down to "you're not liking it right," combined with a generally anger towards "sheeple" commodifying the "weird."

Maybe the edit came after your post, but I don't think they were stating any personal opinions about Rocky Horror. Also, there a lot of goons who get really mad about Rocky Horror (there was just a thread that descended into a pages-long derail on the very subject).

Pretty much nailed it. The edit was just general grammar/word usage fixing, the overall message was the same. And certainly Rocky Horror would be an amazing experience to witness, provided the audience you see it with. Chances are, I wouldn't watch it today in today's context. A notable portion of today's modern audience that watches/preforms it now are more than likely is less in love with the community and abnormal community experience and more with the Cult Of Rocky. For these people it's a script to learn, in order to recite for no audience in particular, rather than an attempt to preform for everyone else in the room. My fear is that for those that treat Rocky as a religious experience that they'll smite down anyone that deviates from the script. I'm afraid that they dare to shush someone because they dared to punctuate "'Janet!' 'Brad!' 'Rocky!'" with "No! This is Patrick!". That they slap in the face of the first group who decide to preform a shadow theater production, that they insult those who piled up a bag with rice to throw at the screen, to the first person to scream slut just because they thought it was funny. That is what I'm scared that what a screening of Rocky has come to. A bunch of teenagers who have been told to do it because they're abnormal, because it's what people have been doing for decades, because it was in Perks of Being a Wallflower (which I liked) or an episode of Glee (which I don't). It's the difference of being an art collective and a hive mind.

That said, I have not ever been to a screening. I have wanted to since middle school, but I know that I would not want to go to a screening that was filled with a hundred 15-year-old versions of me. Especially since the person I first I knew who liked it was back in the 6th grade, a girl who was very 'quirky', fairly dumb, and as has been reported to me, kinda bitchy. I especially would not want to be filled with a room full of her. At most I would have wanted to go to one back 20 years ago when it was very much established, but still underground and chic. But alas, I must be cursed with smart phones, cheap video games, and more tolerance for non-hetero-normative groups and cannabis use.

And one last thing, thanks for not assuming gender, even though I am a guy. It's just nice to have someone not make assumptions and jump to defend, among the infinite mass of goonery.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

Fair enough, I think I sorta misread the post.

That said, though, that derail was what I was talking about. It was one person and everyone jumped down his throat for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heads up: I was listening to the latest How Did This Get Made podcast, and in one of the ads, Paul Scheer gives a link to get a free 30-day trial for Audible with credit for 1 free audiobook. I'm not an Audible subscriber already, so I used it and got the audiobook version of The Disaster Artist (read by Greg Sestero himself!) for free. It's 11 and a half hours long, so it's gonna take me a decent amount of time to get through this, but still.

So if you haven't read the book or if you have but want to read it again, you can listen to it for free this way :) And Audible has apps for all smartphones and tablets and stuff, so you can listen on the go.

Here's the link:
https://www.audiblepodcast.com/how

edit: Hahaha yessssss, Greg does his Tommy impersonation :allears: I can't wait to listen to this for 11 hours.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 21, 2014

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Pretty much nailed it. The edit was just general grammar/word usage fixing, the overall message was the same. And certainly Rocky Horror would be an amazing experience to witness, provided the audience you see it with. Chances are, I wouldn't watch it today in today's context. A notable portion of today's modern audience that watches/preforms it now are more than likely is less in love with the community and abnormal community experience and more with the Cult Of Rocky. For these people it's a script to learn, in order to recite for no audience in particular, rather than an attempt to preform for everyone else in the room. My fear is that for those that treat Rocky as a religious experience that they'll smite down anyone that deviates from the script. I'm afraid that they dare to shush someone because they dared to punctuate "'Janet!' 'Brad!' 'Rocky!'" with "No! This is Patrick!". That they slap in the face of the first group who decide to preform a shadow theater production, that they insult those who piled up a bag with rice to throw at the screen, to the first person to scream slut just because they thought it was funny. That is what I'm scared that what a screening of Rocky has come to. A bunch of teenagers who have been told to do it because they're abnormal, because it's what people have been doing for decades, because it was in Perks of Being a Wallflower (which I liked) or an episode of Glee (which I don't). It's the difference of being an art collective and a hive mind.

That said, I have not ever been to a screening. I have wanted to since middle school, but I know that I would not want to go to a screening that was filled with a hundred 15-year-old versions of me. Especially since the person I first I knew who liked it was back in the 6th grade, a girl who was very 'quirky', fairly dumb, and as has been reported to me, kinda bitchy. I especially would not want to be filled with a room full of her. At most I would have wanted to go to one back 20 years ago when it was very much established, but still underground and chic. But alas, I must be cursed with smart phones, cheap video games, and more tolerance for non-hetero-normative groups and cannabis use.

And one last thing, thanks for not assuming gender, even though I am a guy. It's just nice to have someone not make assumptions and jump to defend, among the infinite mass of goonery.

Is this sort of spergin' common with dumb cult films or is it just you?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SomeJazzyRat posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Look man there's only one way to laugh at a movie, MY WAY.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about.

I think that's half a page to say "Man it's really annoying to see Monty Python and the Holy Grail with a room full of nerds because they yell out all the lines" but I'm not really sure.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Anyway, how's your sex life?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Heads up: I was listening to the latest How Did This Get Made podcast, and in one of the ads, Paul Scheer gives a link to get a free 30-day trial for Audible with credit for 1 free audiobook. I'm not an Audible subscriber already, so I used it and got the audiobook version of The Disaster Artist (read by Greg Sestero himself!) for free. It's 11 and a half hours long, so it's gonna take me a decent amount of time to get through this, but still.

So if you haven't read the book or if you have but want to read it again, you can listen to it for free this way :) And Audible has apps for all smartphones and tablets and stuff, so you can listen on the go.

Here's the link:
https://www.audiblepodcast.com/how

edit: Hahaha yessssss, Greg does his Tommy impersonation :allears: I can't wait to listen to this for 11 hours.

Do you get to keep the audiobook after you cancel the subscription?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cyra posted:

Do you get to keep the audiobook after you cancel the subscription?

Yeah, you can download it as an .aa or whatever file and then cancel.

They make a few offers to you as you try to cancel too so even if you want to keep the service I would start the cancellation process just to get that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SomeJazzyRat posted:

As someone who has gone to midnight screenings of Rocky numerous times I have no idea what you are talking about here. The whole thing about going to something like a midnight screening is that it is a fun shared experience. No-one is going to ostracise you if you have never seen the movie before or gone to a screening before. No-one is going to hunt you down and tell you that what you shouted at the screen is wrong. It sounds like you are being paranoid about being found out as a fraud or something. Get over yourself and just go out and see if you have fun or not.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Madkal posted:

As someone who has gone to midnight screenings of Rocky numerous times I have no idea what you are talking about here. The whole thing about going to something like a midnight screening is that it is a fun shared experience. No-one is going to ostracise you if you have never seen the movie before or gone to a screening before. No-one is going to hunt you down and tell you that what you shouted at the screen is wrong. It sounds like you are being paranoid about being found out as a fraud or something. Get over yourself and just go out and see if you have fun or not.

Fair enough. Most importantly I'm dumb, admit that was a poorly thought out post and response. I'm just hoping to nip this derail in the bud right here.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Anyway, how's your sex life?

loving terrible :haw:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Do we need the loving Rocky Horror derail again :cripes:

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
When is the baby due.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Because of this thread I have ordered the book and it should be arriving soon, but I am just way too curious so I got to ask: does the book ever mention the mother's cancer and why that plot point was dropped so suddenly in the film? That was one of the most jarring things in the film for me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

fingerpaint posted:

I disagree. I feel that part of The Room's appeal is how bizarrely sincere the entire thing is. Tommy feels that good people are manipulated, so make a character drive somebody to suicide. Tommy feels that drugs are a problem, so show that drugs can lead to violence, and have the most morally questionable character smoke pot. The dialogue, if the book is to be believed, is a mixture of Tommy's speech and an editor's desperate attempt to make is all comprehensible. This leads to the charmingly confused narrative and a heartfelt lunacy.

This sums up my feelings on this film perfectly. Accusing of it of having no heart is hugely wrong. This movie is pure passion, but from a crazy person's perspective.

I've watched PLENTY of "bad movies" and plenty of them had heart, but very few succeed at putting you so deep inside the mindset of the film maker like this film does. Watching "The Room" is like having the fever dream of a crazy person mainlined into your cerebellum.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Keep your stupid comments in your pocket.

Madkal posted:

Well you will be ostracized at Rocky you'll just have to eat a cookie off a fat vagina or something. I lied through my teeth the first time I went.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 21, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tripwyre posted:

When
is
thebabydue.

Fixed that for you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

weekly font posted:

Well you will be ostracized at Rocky you'll just have to eat a cookie off a fat vagina or something. I lied through my teeth the first time I went.

Oh yea, the virgin stuff. All in good fun though. Not everyone has to do that though, and for every screening I have been to the people who go on stage to do the virgin stuff are into it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

One of the best parts of showing The Room to new people is explaining that that's pretty much just Peter. It's usually the part where their brain breaks and can't recover.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
You invited all my friends to the party. Good thinking!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Madkal posted:

Because of this thread I have ordered the book and it should be arriving soon, but I am just way too curious so I got to ask: does the book ever mention the mother's cancer and why that plot point was dropped so suddenly in the film? That was one of the most jarring things in the film for me.

If by jarring, you mean awesome. Actually, that's one of the highlights of the Rifftrax for me: the guys just constantly reminding us after that point that she has cancer. Ok, the best part is just Bill screaming "CANCER!!!"

And while it does mention it, no it's never explained. Which is probably for the best, really.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's just something about the way Tommy says "In a few minutes, bitch" that makes me laugh every time. He sounds like he's some brat playing his Xbox whose mom just called him up to dinner.

Also, I love how awkwardly the "I like you, very much....lover....boy" line is delivered. Not that I can blame Lisa's actress. Nobody in The Room talks like a human. I'd still kill to see a version of this movie in the original script though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

Not that I can blame Lisa's actress.

I don't blame any of the actors. Well, except that Steven guy, gently caress him. Everyone gave it their all, but there's only so much you can do with that kind of dialogue.

(I don't count Tommy, because, well, he isn't acting.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If you throw spoons and do not help pick them up, a pox upon your house.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So. The audiobook.

You need this. Watch the movie, read the book, listen to the book. In that precise order. My god it's awesome, and Greg's Tommy accent is a thing of beauty. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So. The audiobook.

You need this. Watch the movie, read the book, listen to the book. In that precise order. My god it's awesome, and Greg's Tommy accent is a thing of beauty. :allears:
I actually got through a nice chunk of it today and it seems like Greg's Tommy impression just gets better and better the further you get into it :swoon:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So. The audiobook.

I so wanted the audio book :( but I live in Australia and apparently you can't download it outside the US. Very sad.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I actually got through a nice chunk of it today and it seems like Greg's Tommy impression just gets better and better the further you get into it :swoon:

I just reached the "I did not hit her!" bit and oh my god, this is now not only the greatest thing I've ever read, but now heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I just reached the "I did not hit her!" bit and oh my god, this is now not only the greatest thing I've ever read, but now heard.
Haha I know, right? It's like Tommy's right there with him reading his parts!

• Locked thread