Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's kinda lovely because if you just stayed at home those folks would get the day off. I think it's weird too since I spend the day with family and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's kinda lovely because if you just stayed at home those folks would get the day off. I think it's weird too since I spend the day with family and poo poo.

Eh, they're a bunch of teenagers and they usually get time and a half.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The holidays are loving depressing for a ton of people too. Family and all. Doesn't really take that many people to run a movie theater.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

It's always been super weird to me that Americans think going to the movies on Christmas day is a good idea.

Like the only things open on Christmas are Waffle House and movie theaters. :911:

You realize there are lots of people that don't celebrate Christmas, right?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who has worked on multiple Christmases, I don't really mind it. I get time and a half, and between the lonely, the people wanting to get away from their families for a few hours, and those who don't celebrate Christmas, the 25th ends up being a very busy day for a movie theater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

You can play with your action figures.

They don't let me bring them in the theater. :(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The guys at We Hate Movies brought up a solid point:

When a theater wants to see a movie, they'll call the distributor, hash out a deal, then get the movie sent to them. What they think happen is that they spouted their mouth off before making the call to get TA, didn't/couldn't get it for whatever reason, and then had to scramble to announce a reason why they couldn't get the film.

Yeah, I'm guessing, since Alamo uses digital projectors, they had the thought to just go buy the Blu-Ray off the shelve at Best Buy and play it instead of requesting a copy from Paramount. They tried to circumvent their own system.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

I see that Secret Cinema are hosting a few screenings of this, but seeing as I wouldn't have watched it anyway there is no chance I paying £25 a ticket for it now.

indy link

It wasn't The Interview, it was an as-yet-unannounced movie that turned out to be The Great Dictator.

Nobody outside of Sony has seen The Interview yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Pirate Jet posted:

Nobody outside of Sony has seen The Interview yet.

That's not true. There are plenty of reviews of the film which means there were critics screenings before the poo poo hit the fan.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CPL593H posted:

That's not true. There are plenty of reviews of the film which means there were critics screenings before the poo poo hit the fan.

Er, yeah. And that. Sorry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seth Rogan just showed the movie in Denver a week or so ago. I missed out and was thoroughly bummed.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

CelticPredator posted:

Seth Rogan just showed the movie in Denver a week or so ago. I missed out and was thoroughly bummed.

I got on their email list for this as soon as it was announced, and never heard anything back, not sure if it even actually happened.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just broke within the hour: Sony is releasing the movie to any independent cinemas that want it on Christmas Day. Keep an eye on your local listings.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Just broke within the hour: Sony is releasing the movie to local independent cinemas on Christmas Day. Keep an eye on your local listings.

Awww, yea.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DivisionPost posted:

Just broke within the hour: Sony is releasing the movie to any independent cinemas that want it on Christmas Day. Keep an eye on your local listings.

Man, what a complicated and wasteful ARG.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
At this point the dead cat is squarely in the backyard of the exhibitors, and they've got nowhere else to throw it. I wouldn't be shocked if they cave at some point soon.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

As someone who has worked on multiple Christmases, I don't really mind it. I get time and a half, and between the lonely, the people wanting to get away from their families for a few hours, and those who don't celebrate Christmas, the 25th ends up being a very busy day for a movie theater.

That's mostly because new movies open on the 25th and they're usually Oscar darlings so everybody goes out to see them. Even without The Interview, there are still four big movies opening on that day.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Look through relevant Tumblr tags if you want to see some massively stupid opinions on this whole thing from the general public.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Look through relevant Tumblr tags if you want to see some massively stupid opinions on this whole thing from the general public.

Yeah no, not gonna blow into that particular gaping anus.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah no, not gonna blow into that particular gaping anus.

It's not even a loud minority opinion there as far as I can tell; it seems to be the majority opinion of the tag.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
...what's the opinion, exactly? Guessing it's that Sony is racist and North Korea are the heroes?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...what's the opinion, exactly? Guessing it's that Sony is racist and North Korea are the heroes?

Also that the blame for terrorist attacks lies with the party who provoked them.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Also that the blame for terrorist attacks lies with the party who provoked them.

Well, Sony should have known better than to dress like that. Did you see how short its skirt was. Can't blame North Korea. Regimes will be regimes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You can feel free to call bullshit until I dig my source back up, but Sony is also confirming a simultaneous VOD release.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

You can feel free to call bullshit until I dig my source back up, but Sony is also confirming a simultaneous VOD release.

And here we are.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I forgot to mention the part where it's common knowledge there that Sony orchestrated the hacking themselves in order to boost sales and garner acclaim. Never mind the ugly secret poo poo that got leaked alongside the threats.

EDIT: I also hate this common line of "we're being total hypocrites, we would have destroyed North Korea if they'd made an equivalent movie about assassinating our President!", because it is literally false. So loving literally false. We would not have given a poo poo.

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 23, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Congratulations, you've figured out that crazy people on the Internet exist. We're all very impressed. Next, check out the comments section of this website named YouTube.com...

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Pirate Jet posted:

Congratulations, you've figured out that crazy people on the Internet exist. We're all very impressed. Next, check out the comments section of this website named YouTube.com...

I find Tumblr particularly interesting/scary because I feel that, rather than representing the crazy underbelly of humanity that's already existed forever, it represents the coming crazy dominant generation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Tumblr is a lot of dumb kids, I wouldn't be too concerned. I prefer it to kids raised on 4chan, honestly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I find Tumblr particularly interesting/scary because I feel that, rather than representing the crazy underbelly of humanity that's already existed forever, it represents the coming crazy dominant generation.

Yeah, god knows old people are so level headed and post such reasonable and thoughtful arguments on the internet.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The existing dominant generation was posting poo poo just as stupid 15 years ago. Some of it here. We'll live.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Has it been confirmed if it's just going to be out on Crackle or if it's going to be a multi-platform release?

I swear, if North Korea wasn't bluffing and I wake up to a nuclear hellscape on Christmas morning, this is definitely going to be in the bottom 3 Christmases in recent memory.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Emerson Cod posted:

Has it been confirmed if it's just going to be out on Crackle or if it's going to be a multi-platform release?

I swear, if North Korea wasn't bluffing and I wake up to a nuclear hellscape on Christmas morning, this is definitely going to be in the bottom 3 Christmases in recent memory.

Probably the most surreal way for the world to end: a Seth Rogen movie accomplishes what the entirety of the Cold War could not.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Emerson Cod posted:

From what I'm hearing, it's going to be a video-on-demand simul-release where you can rent it for off iTunes/Amazon/Vudu probably for $7-$12. It could be more considering most simul-release titles at that price are independent productions. I'm wondering if it'll be like Snowpiercer where you could actually buy the digital copy during the theater run for $22.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Actually, it's a dogwhistle hate for women.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Actually, it's a dogwhistle hate for women.

Congrats on cracking my secret code! :downsbravo: In the future I'll remember to agree with people's lovely opinions if they're statistically more likely to be women.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Emerson Cod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is that a reference to something, or a bad joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak posted:

Is that a reference to something, or a bad joke?

The name thing? Obama called him "James Flacco" the other day.

• Locked thread