Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
An old super bowl commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwJzTsb2QQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 8 - Water And Sand Are Different Things

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The episode title and the video description fill me with joyful anticipation on how you learned these facts.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Good news, Pik-cruits! Serving under Faerie Fortune, your chance of a tragic demise is only 25%!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FeyerbrandX posted:

The episode title and the video description fill me with joyful anticipation on how you learned these facts.
I was not disappointed when I discovered how she learned these facts.

Also I like to pretend the Pikmin are a bunch of puppies to explain the pathfinding.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

You get two updates today because that's just the kind of nice person I am!

Bonus 1 - We Found Challenge Mode
Episode 9 - Frog Nuggets

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Frogs are not terrifying, Fae.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Whoops, double post

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I think I explain this story next episode, but I'm gonna post it here because its a :3: as hell story about frogs.

So, the origin of the term "frog nuggets". That little buddy in that video up there is called the Desert Rain Frog and when its not screaming at you and covered in sand, it looks like this

They're cute little buggers and I actually based an RPG character on them, the little froggie spirit, Poptart. I was talking with a friend and asked them if they knew about the cute squeaky frogs and they said no they did not. So I attempted to google for it but I forgot what they were called. Literally the only words I could think of to describe them were "frog nuggets" so I figured what the hell and typed it into google.

The first result was that video. Ever since, I've called them frog nuggets because its just such a perfect description for a perfectly round frog with the worlds best :saddowns: face. And now you will too!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wait a second, I thought that if you leave pikmin in the ground when you come back the next day they'll have turned into full flowers? Those blue pikmin you left yesterday were still leaf!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Haven't caught up with the latest episodes yet but have some doodles:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love it look at that Pikmin kitty oh goodness :swoon:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Fae, do you feel bad yet? Look at all those who have given their lives in your name. Look, and feel bad.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

The Kitman does have a certain charm to it, yes.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
You seem to be having trouble with depth perception on things such as targeting the flying stuff. Switch camera height angle with Z(I think) to fix that with a better overhead view to help deal with that. Keeping an eye on different camera angles helps eliminate blind spots, which are just asking for an enemy or pellet to get missed, and it's even MORE important in challenge mode where you have no radar.

If you want to really do challenge mode, you want to make sure that, especially early on, you are matching as many pellets to their onion color as possible. Put three of the matching color and two of the other colors on those 5pellets ASAP. You want to quickly get enough that you can have most of them be carrying back something of their matching color at all points, and picking in batches.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Pikmin lore generally makes cute things seem horrific, so I'll lean more towards aaaaaaaaaaaaaa look at that Pikmin kitty OH GOODNESS :stonk:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
You shouldn't set the maximum number of pikmin to carrying something unless you have to - it just takes too many pikmin away from you. After you killed that first frog you lost almost half your pikmin just to carrying all the loot back, which meant you couldn't deal with the second frog. After you swarm an item, use quick whistles to call some of the carriers back.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Bravo posted:

Wait a second, I thought that if you leave pikmin in the ground when you come back the next day they'll have turned into full flowers? Those blue pikmin you left yesterday were still leaf!

Pikmin actually unflower if left in the ground too long. It's a full cycle, not just a linear upgrade. After a set amount of time in the ground (I think its 3 or 4 minutes or so), they advance one stage. If they are still in the ground as flowers when it is time for them to advance again, they become leafs.

Night time advances everything in the ground by 1 stage no matter what, so all those leafs were probably already flowers.

Teddles posted:

You shouldn't set the maximum number of pikmin to carrying something unless you have to - it just takes too many pikmin away from you. After you killed that first frog you lost almost half your pikmin just to carrying all the loot back, which meant you couldn't deal with the second frog. After you swarm an item, use quick whistles to call some of the carriers back.

IMO the best strategy is to not have them carry anything back until everything in the area is dead, but both Fae and myself have very short attention spans and I'm not gonna get all up in arms about MY OPTIMAL STRATERGIES in the middle of the videos. Carrying early is fine too, and there wouldn't have been a problem if she'd handled the second frog as well as she handled the first. She didn't, but past me didn't expect that.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The thing is not only is more pikmin faster in the case of jumpers and fliers it weighs it down

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

gnome7 posted:

both Fae and myself have very short attention spans and I'm not gonna get all up in arms about MY OPTIMAL STRATERGIES in the middle of the videos

I'm so bad for this. I played every day of Pikmin 3 at least 3 times. Once to scout, once to practice, and then realtime grindrun getting as much crap done as possible.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Fae, when you get your pikmin stuck on something. Dismiss your current group, get the stragglers, then pick up the group again so you aren't going in circles.

e: Also I recommend letting two or three gently caress off so you can babysit a dozen.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 3, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

gnome7 posted:

Pikmin actually unflower if left in the ground too long. It's a full cycle, not just a linear upgrade. After a set amount of time in the ground (I think its 3 or 4 minutes or so), they advance one stage. If they are still in the ground as flowers when it is time for them to advance again, they become leafs.

Night time advances everything in the ground by 1 stage no matter what, so all those leafs were probably already flowers.

IMO the best strategy is to not have them carry anything back until everything in the area is dead, but both Fae and myself have very short attention spans and I'm not gonna get all up in arms about MY OPTIMAL STRATERGIES in the middle of the videos. Carrying early is fine too, and there wouldn't have been a problem if she'd handled the second frog as well as she handled the first. She didn't, but past me didn't expect that.

Carrying things is fine. Unless it's the end of the day it only needs the listed number though. Unless it's a "gotta run back to get more pikmin anyhow" moment. Because Hauler Pikmin generally don;t get too badly lost.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 10 - Bomb Rock Safety

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bomb Rock Safety...is not demonstrated in this video.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Remeber Fae, light the blue paper, then RETIRE.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
If there were a Pikmin warcrime court you would be there Fae, ... or is that what actually happened with the mushroom?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Panboy posted:

If there were a Pikmin warcrime court you would be there Fae, ... or is that what actually happened with the mushroom?

Actually, there is a warcrimes count.

World
Jan 30, 2012

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
I've been following along with the LP having never played the games and... Oh, wow. :catstare: Watching all of those pikmin turn into fungi and kill Olimar was really jarring, especially after the sweet, relaxing tone the game started off with. Not what I expected! The fiery blowhogs were bad enough, I wonder what other interesting enemies we'll see in the rest of the game and in others.

Anyway, really enjoying the LP, Fae!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Bomb Rock Safety...is not demonstrated in this video.

I am struggling to think of any type of safety exhibited in this video.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

A jargogle posted:

I am struggling to think of any type of safety exhibited in this video.

Well, she was making the yellow pikmin safe from the threat of being eaten by exploding them. Now that they're all dead nothing can hurt them, it's the safest way to be!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't it that great statesman Ben Franklin who said that those who give up safety for pikmin end up with neither?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, she was making the yellow pikmin safe from the threat of being eaten by exploding them. Now that they're all dead nothing can hurt them, it's the safest way to be!
Surely this is the logic of a great leader!

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I never got past the first several days and only read about this game in Nintendo Power, so I had no idea you could get mauled to death by your own cordyceps-ified Pikmin :stare:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
That's a cordys-oops.

mozman
Nov 3, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Kill yourself so nothing can hurt you! #lifehack

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This thread inspired me to finally take a crack at this game after thinking about it for a decade, thank you for that! I just finished on my first time with all 30 parts on my 30th day. My sweet triumph turned sour when the final count of the fallen came in and I realized that my safe return in full capacity was dearly bought... This game is so good at being really horrible while being really, really cute and awesome.

And yeah, I too got a heart attack when my whole troop suddenly got turned into zombie mushrooms which summarily proceeded to murder me. The nature-red-in-tooth-and-claw aspect of the game makes these videos feel a bit like following a really weird nature documentary, which I also love.

This is awesome. And horrible. Just like Pikmin, really!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Naxuz posted:

The nature-red-in-tooth-and-claw aspect of the game makes these videos feel a bit like following a really weird nature documentary, which I also love.

I want a video with Fae doing her best David Attenborough.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Fae and I just did a recording session. Major spoilers behind this image:

:getin:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

gnome7 posted:

Fae and I just did a recording session. Major spoilers behind this image:

:getin:[/spoiler]

You magnificent bastard!

Oops.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 7, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Somehow that picture isn't getting spoilered in your quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Spoiler tags can't coexist with timg.

• Locked thread