Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

someone should make some creative new snipes to put into that valeyard plug-in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it looks splotch

just had another idea what I want to so but my rig is broken down and in boxes ready for transport

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

yeah it looks splotch

just had another idea what I want to so but my rig is broken down and in boxes ready for transport

is it a bug, or is it accurate?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!
todays draw

(photoshop, wacom intuos pro)

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
here's a photo:

and here's some erosion/deposition simulation/toy thing:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

is it a bug, or is it accurate?

I think basically it's uneven in it's progress towards convergence of the correct solution

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

this thread makes me want to do artistically morbid mods for minecraft.

i have no loving idea why. as if i wasn't a slave to my muse already.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

I think basically it's uneven in it's progress towards convergence of the correct solution

ah, okay. so either maybe some more render time, or it will never get there

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

TRON JEREMY posted:

todays draw

I didn't know photoshop could emulate watercolors this way, I thought this was more of a corel painter specialty? but in this case maybe it's more of a tablet pressure thing?

also I could swear those lines came from a real pen, drat technology is amazing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TRON JEREMY posted:

todays draw

vary naice

crap nerd posted:

here's a photo:

and here's some erosion/deposition simulation/toy thing:

cool erosion yhing. how u do that???

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ah, okay. so either maybe some more render time, or it will never get there

maybe idk. there is a thing in the renderer and you can paint on areas you want it to focus on and I did that but suspect maybe I painted unevenly so that's why it happens and I guess eventually it would even out but take days maybe??

the gpu bidirectional path tracer doesn't do dispersion so that could have produced better product faster but no

there's a thing called the BDRF and I think that's how it goes and it's a theoretical concept for rendering and it's a simple equation to simulate objects and light but to solve the simple equation requires a lot of effort and older ray tracers etc tried to do so but they are biased renderers, no matter how long you give them they will never correctly answer the solution. they cheat, but are fast and often good enough. path tracing and in particular bi directional path tracig is a way of solving that equation accurately but they are very slow and produce a noisy image like a photo taken without enough light. the longer you render the less noise and closer to
convergence and solving the equatio

the equation doesn't represent real world perfectly and doesn't account for fluorescence and other things but it does a
great job for most objects which is why the resultant images are
somewhat believable/plausbile

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidirectional_reflectance_distribution_function

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I meant this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_equation when I was talking about the equatio

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!

Symbolic Butt posted:

I didn't know photoshop could emulate watercolors this way, I thought this was more of a corel painter specialty? but in this case maybe it's more of a tablet pressure thing?

also I could swear those lines came from a real pen, drat technology is amazing

the watercolors are courtesy of a clever brush set i found with google, forget where exactly. it even emulates the water flow a bit; drawing two lines near each other in one stroke cause them to run together and darken as you'd expect. there's a little faking in there still - the run on the lower-left was drawn in and then painted over with the background color to get it to fade properly. tablet pressure does a lot to help too, of course

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fractale posted:

this thread makes me want to do artistically morbid mods for minecraft.

i have no loving idea why. as if i wasn't a slave to my muse already.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

akadajet posted:

I'm trying to learn ~*photography*~ beyond just taking pictures of friends and stuff but I'm not very good at it

i like this photo

have you considered photoshopping out all of the ghost people on the steps?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

getting less and less satisfied with my photos until i have spent hours in post removing all traces of reality

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shot with an iPhone 6+

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

maxe posted:

i like this photo

have you considered photoshopping out all of the ghost people on the steps?

i kinda like the ghost people

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I love this old manual "don't be a litterbug!"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

And it works! Have a crappy late night long exposure mirror selfie of a skinnyfat nerd...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
rad

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i shoot b&w film and make wet prints using my home darkroom the old fashioned way. its a spectacular waste of money but it means i can produce photographs completely separated from a computer which is kind of therapeutic sometimes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also the man can't spy on it

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

speaking of rainbows and whathaveyou

DSCF2579_DNG by -, on Flickr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fudking florious mate

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

akadajet posted:

Amazon sells the 4.5v, already got one delivered. Waiting on the film and camera to get here.

As far as the canon goes I'll probably look for some FD mount primes for it. My father tells me he regrets not going with the canon lenses.

Lmfao what a waste of money.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TRON JEREMY posted:

the watercolors are courtesy of a clever brush set i found with google, forget where exactly. it even emulates the water flow a bit; drawing two lines near each other in one stroke cause them to run together and darken as you'd expect. there's a little faking in there still - the run on the lower-left was drawn in and then painted over with the background color to get it to fade properly. tablet pressure does a lot to help too, of course

substance painter has a thing where you can use particle effects as a brush. at first it seems awesome but the reality isn't as much coz imagine if the particles when collected ran like paint the possibilities

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

echinopsis posted:

cool erosion yhing. how u do that???

shallow water fluid equations and height maps, i'm using this paper as a guide and expanding on it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I meant, sofywAreqosr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
software wise

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
unity but I'm planning on trying out unreal 4 soon and implementing it using spherical coordinates so I can have a little planet thing

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

that's a hell of a callback

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

holy poo poo i haven't seen that comic in years.

edit: got it confused with this person.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

crap nerd posted:

unity but I'm planning on trying out unreal 4 soon and implementing it using spherical coordinates so I can have a little planet thing

:monocle:

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
now with vegetation that spreads, grows, dies and holds soil together better

maybe this should be in the other thread idk

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
no its cool leave it here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that owns post moar

new Internet connection on house needs tech support so no uploads from me till that's fixed :[ doing an 18 hour render right now I hope it turns out righteous

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

are you doing these in blender? thats some really nice light stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TRON JEREMY posted:

todays draw