Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"The grave of Senator Binks has been desecrated!"

"It appears there's bantha poodoo alllll over."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Aww they made a sincere speculation video rather than troll Star Wars fans more. I guess guessing what happens and getting it right was just too tempting.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think their prediction about the plot of The Force Awakens as basically a mirror image of ANH is dead-on, unfortunately. I can't see Luke as a villain though, maybe as someone who continues to struggle with the dark side but ultimately comes around to good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I always liked the idea that Luke finished Vader's work of bringing balance to the Force by synthesizing the Jedi and the Sith into a new way of doing things that viewed the Force as a single entity instead of two competing factions. Dropping all the dumb robot monk poo poo of the Jedi while not bringing in the megalomaniac power mad stuff of the Sith. Embracing emotion but not being ruled by it.

I mean I guess he could go into self imposed Exile because he didn't want the Jedi and Sith to gently caress poo poo up again, but people are still going to be Force sensitive and then they're just going to be figuring poo poo out on their own through trial and error. Which is probably worse for that galaxy far, far away.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, I wish :allears:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

exquisite tea posted:

I think their prediction about the plot of The Force Awakens as basically a mirror image of ANH is dead-on, unfortunately. I can't see Luke as a villain though, maybe as someone who continues to struggle with the dark side but ultimately comes around to good.

It's almost too dead on, it can't be so, but I have to admit it sounds really, really likely.

I was thinking that if Ken Rylo dies in the movie, the big reveal won't be clones so much as gasping revelation that, "there are others like me..." and there's a whole class of thousands of Sith with dumb helmets and laser swords in the next sequel (not clones, like an underground Section 13 style school), heroes on both sides blee blee bloo bloo. Doesn't this go against the (really stupid) idea that there can only be two dark Jedi in the entire universe, or did I misinterpret the prequels? Anyway if that's so it should pop a lot of corks in the audience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

doctorfrog posted:

It's almost too dead on, it can't be so, but I have to admit it sounds really, really likely.

I was thinking that if Ken Rylo dies in the movie, the big reveal won't be clones so much as gasping revelation that, "there are others like me..." and there's a whole class of thousands of Sith with dumb helmets and laser swords in the next sequel (not clones, like an underground Section 13 style school), heroes on both sides blee blee bloo bloo. Doesn't this go against the (really stupid) idea that there can only be two dark Jedi in the entire universe, or did I misinterpret the prequels? Anyway if that's so it should pop a lot of corks in the audience.

It's something like "there's always a sith master and a sith apprentice but also there's these other evil Jedi guys who are just kinda hanging out"

the prequels had Dooku, Palpatine, and Maul all alive at the same time so.

And yeah their predictions are probably almost 100% on the money, especially the "death star hidden in a planet, at the end it sheds the planet skin" thing.

Really doubt Luke will be evil, but he might be the antagonist anyway.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Gyges posted:

I always liked the idea that Luke finished Vader's work of bringing balance to the Force by synthesizing the Jedi and the Sith into a new way of doing things that viewed the Force as a single entity instead of two competing factions. Dropping all the dumb robot monk poo poo of the Jedi while not bringing in the megalomaniac power mad stuff of the Sith. Embracing emotion but not being ruled by it.

Well now I want this even though I know I probably won't get it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Best of the Worst is easily my favorite content from RLM. I skip plenty of Half in the Bags but new BotW are super exciting events for a given month or whenever they come out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gyges posted:

I mean I guess he could go into self imposed Exile because he didn't want the Jedi and Sith to gently caress poo poo up again, but people are still going to be Force sensitive and then they're just going to be figuring poo poo out on their own through trial and error. Which is probably worse for that galaxy far, far away.

Even going with the most cynical possible reading of the Jedi (hello Karen Travyss, why are you still getting work?) the Sith are basically nothing but mass murdering psychopathic monsters, I really don't see what you could learn from them, except shooting lightning out of your hands.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Darth Maul: *cleaving through a crowd of bystanders* I'M EXPRESSING MY-SELF

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lurdiak posted:

Even going with the most cynical possible reading of the Jedi (hello Karen Travyss, why are you still getting work?) the Sith are basically nothing but mass murdering psychopathic monsters, I really don't see what you could learn from them, except shooting lightning out of your hands.

You can learn not to bottle up your emotions and realize that using those emotions to harness the force can be very powerful. Sure they're always the bad guys so they are 100% evil, but at it's core the Sith is just a full embracing of the "Dark Side" of the force. Of course when you just dive into letting your emotions rule you, the group as a whole is probably going to get out of control. Conversely the Jedi are some weird caricature of enlightened monks, no love or happiness for me, thanks. Wouldn't want to become evil. Synthesizing the two results in you neither being ruled by your emotions nor burying them deep down and pretending they don't exist.

This is shown by Luke being passionate about his friends and mission, but keeping it in check when he was going too far.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never really got an "emotions are bad" vibe from the real Star Wars movies. It was more about ascending beyond short-sighted needs and avoiding actually negative emotions like anger and fear, and not rushing in without thinking. Obi-wan wasn't some boring creepy emotionless rear end in a top hat, he was just really wise and laid back. Like Gandalf or something.

Hell even Yoda played comical pranks on Luke and kept giggling.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Personally, I wish he was unceremoniously dumped in an unmarked hole in the ground.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

King Vidiot posted:

Personally, I wish he was unceremoniously dumped in an unmarked hole in the ground.

"Why hasn't the grave of senator Binks been desecrated today?"

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I never really got an "emotions are bad" vibe from the real Star Wars movies. It was more about ascending beyond short-sighted needs and avoiding actually negative emotions like anger and fear, and not rushing in without thinking. Obi-wan wasn't some boring creepy emotionless rear end in a top hat, he was just really wise and laid back. Like Gandalf or something.

Yoda and Obs are well-meaning liars who discount Luke's needs as much as his aunt and uncle did.

Also all Star Wars movies are equally real for better or worse

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's noteworthy that pretty much all this Jedi/Sith emotional dichotomy comes from the prequels. Presumably by the time of the OT everyone's evened out a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Or George Lucas just got rid of all the people who told him his original script for Star Wars was boring and weird.

I've read the old "The Star Wars" draft and it's full of really long political debates and the Dai(Jedi) come off like obnoxious, over-disciplined, controlling freaks. There's also really weird sex humor and like 300 named characters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

Yoda had been living alone in a swamp for nearly 20 years at that point and had pretty much gone stir crazy loco.

Crazy ol' Luke Skywalker hobbling around a swamp cackling to himself would be amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lurdiak posted:

That was before he revealed his identity since he was intentionally testing Luke's patience. He wasn't doing it for kicks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Or George Lucas just got rid of all the people who told him his original script for Star Wars was boring and weird.

I've read the old "The Star Wars" draft and it's full of really long political debates and the Dai(Jedi) come off like obnoxious, over-disciplined, controlling freaks. There's also really weird sex humor and like 300 named characters.

I'm the space libertarian with very strong opinions on why the empire is going to nationalize my moisture farm.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Lurdiak posted:

I think george lucas being a weird boring freak with bizarre ideas about basic human emotion is kind of the least surprising thing about him

well that and it turns out he's a bad filmmaker

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah but for some reason people seek in-universe explanations for his bad movies instead of realizing they're just poorly made by a weirdo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Case in point: wanting Indiana Jones to be a pedophile.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 7, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the creepy sex things that happens in the original The Star Wars draft is the Luke Skywalker character exiting a broom closet followed by a 14 year old maid readjusting her clothes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

One of the creepy sex things that happens in the original The Star Wars draft is the Luke Skywalker character exiting a broom closet followed by a 14 year old maid readjusting her clothes.

Is that from the same draft where Luke was a grizzled war vet in his 30s?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that from the same draft where Luke was a grizzled war vet in his 30s?

A cyborg war vet, yeah. The Luke equivalent character is a 17-18 year old guy named Starkiller. And there's like 8 different bad guy generals who have long boring political conversations, while the rebels have equally long boring political conversations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

A cyborg war vet, yeah. The Luke equivalent character is a 17-18 year old guy named Starkiller. And there's like 8 different bad guy generals who have long boring political conversations, while the rebels have equally long boring political conversations.

"I may have gone too far in a few places"

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

these details sound like a bit in a RLM video where they're improvising bad star wars EU storylines

but it's real

isn't it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cat doter posted:

these details sound like a bit in a RLM video where they're improvising bad star wars EU storylines

but it's real

isn't it

It read like a Star Wars prequel written by a horny college creep.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's kind of hilariously sad that a broken brains creep could have an entourage of talented people to help shape his vague ideas into a solid series of films, which in turn made him rich and influential and turned his company into a powerful brand with worldwide recognition. The original Star Wars movies are still considered classics and George Lucas gets most (if not all) of the credit to this day.

Even if people are starting to come around to see George Lucas for what he's always been, it's hard to grasp exactly how hosed up it all is. George Lucas is not a creative person, he's one of those "Ideas Guys". He's just the most successful Ideas Guy of all time.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
I love that Rich is admittedly not a huge Star Wars fan, but is still a big enough nerd to know what TIE stands for.

But yeah, if you look back at the original scripts for Star Wars that Lucas wrote, it's a lot easier to see how the prequels ended up like they did.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I knew something was horribly wrong with the narrative that george lucas was the creative mind behind star wars since attack of the clones, I'm not terribly old (only 28) so when it came out I was still a huge idiot kid, but it was the second poo poo star wars movie in a row, I knew something was up

thinking about that moment still makes me kinda mad, I loved star wars, but hated that movie, that's an uncool experience for a dumb little nerd

but thinking about the level of denial I'd need to still worship that fat idiot into adulthood, it's better this way

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They tried adapting those original scripts into a comic (named The Star Wars) and it really is just basically unreadable garbage that seemingly goes on forever.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

It's kind of hilariously sad that a broken brains creep could have an entourage of talented people to help shape his vague ideas into a solid series of films, which in turn made him rich and influential and turned his company into a powerful brand with worldwide recognition. The original Star Wars movies are still considered classics and George Lucas gets most (if not all) of the credit to this day.

Even if people are starting to come around to see George Lucas for what he's always been, it's hard to grasp exactly how hosed up it all is. George Lucas is not a creative person, he's one of those "Ideas Guys". He's just the most successful Ideas Guy of all time.

I'll still go to bat for American Graffiti.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ignoring that it's spectacularly unfair to assume George Lucas is literally some kind of shambling paedophile monster because he made some films you don't like, the point of first drafts is that they get rewritten. The relevant script for Star Wars is the one George Lucas filmed and released.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'll still go to bat for American Graffiti.

Yeah that and THX-1138 are problematic to the thesis that "George Lucas is just bad". He clearly, at one point in time, had talent.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

precision posted:

Yeah that and THX-1138 are problematic to the thesis that "George Lucas is just bad". He clearly, at one point in time, had talent.

When he had constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

josh04 posted:

Ignoring that it's spectacularly unfair to assume George Lucas is literally some kind of shambling paedophile monster because he made some films you don't like, the point of first drafts is that they get rewritten. The relevant script for Star Wars is the one George Lucas filmed and released.

But I've done nothing with my life and want to hate a thing!

• Locked thread