Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lectim posted:

I figured it was 'cuz Asta hit him with his magic cancelling sword and all. It wasn't a willful decision on the big bad's part, that's why the rest of his crew had to seal him and run away.

Even though he is the boss he wasn't the strongest dude in their organization. He was acting as a magic reactor for some reason. Aster broke his limiters, and then the magic he had been accumulating burst out all at once. Since they now had a huge gaping vulnerability they had to gently caress off. I mean sure, the basic scenario of bosses fighting but not resolving anything because the mc isn't up to it yet is used all the time. But at least the manga provided a reason for why they all showed up and then left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Maybe people will actually ask questions about why that guy wanted Aster's grimoire? I mean the guy openly talked about it in front of everyone.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I read what was available of this series. It was... okay? There's nothing to make it standout but it was competently done, and sometimes that's enough. No, what actually bothers me is that the main character only has 3 facial expressions. Neutral, open-mouth-shock, sparkly-shoujo-shock. And they always look the same. Across 50+ chapters! It's steadily driving me crazy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rangpur posted:

I read what was available of this series. It was... okay? There's nothing to make it standout but it was competently done, and sometimes that's enough. No, what actually bothers me is that the main character only has 3 facial expressions. Neutral, open-mouth-shock, sparkly-shoujo-shock. And they always look the same. Across 50+ chapters! It's steadily driving me crazy.
Someone made a Black Clover drinking game but I'm not convinced a human being could survive it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Drink every time Black Clover is cool as hell.

*immediate liver failure*

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The chapters were good, the fight was great, and the characters were hilarious. Yami rocks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Aster's sparkly face is my absolute favorite

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i just finished the newest chapter and all the stuff with Licht has been really cool. at first i thought they seriously were just going to chump him, but the two tiered reveals of his stronger subordinates and the power sealed in him for ~reasons~ were paced in such a way that made it exciting and satisfying. the teases of info about Aster's grimoire have me excited for the upcoming chapters, even if the prisoners end up only having information on White Eyes. also i'm glad to see some nobles show a little bit of endearment to Aster because of his skills and tenacity.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wonder who the traitor is. The obvious choice just for being suspicious as all hell is VENGEANCE BILLY, but they could make a good story out of Yami being framed and the adventure to free him of guilt.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's gonna be a framing.

These dudes probably have something in place to keep them from blabbing even if their mental barriers got knocked down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm hoping Vengeance is doing his own evil thing separate from the current bad guys.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm happy as long as we get a cool two page spread of Vengeance being punched in the face and his mask breaks all dramatic like and woahhhhh what's that thing on his face that we've never seen before‽

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

I'm happy as long as we get a cool two page spread of Vengeance being punched in the face and his mask breaks all dramatic like and woahhhhh what's that thing on his face that we've never seen before‽

Is it a nose?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the young newbie doing impressions.

It's cute that Royal Hairdo is irked that newbie is poking fun at his rival.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wonder if they'll pull a trick like having the two mooks be brainwashed the old fashioned way, so when they're made to "tell the truth" they repeat what they were told- which is to accuse the wrong captain.

Aster being bothered means it's either Yami, Vengeance, or Leon (which would make no loving sense).

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The mooks will name Yami as a traitor. No one will believe them because they all think he's too dumb to be a spy.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The traitor is Mayuri, he's a spy for the Shinigami. That's right, this was secretly Kubo's plan all along!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm gonna give this a shot based on the first chapter and it's Actual Friendship. A Friendly Rivalry is something pretty rare in shounen and both characters seem actually likable.

I guess it helps that the most immediate comparison is Naruto which sets the bar so low it has gone through the earth's core, but still. Seems fun so far!

EDIT: using the word actually so much it lost all meaning oops, fixed, now the post is merely bad instead of repetitive

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 24, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's definitely better than naruto.

Even though in my head whenever aster speaks I'm hearing narutos voice.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aster is a more likeable protaganist to me because instead of just saying he's salt of the earth in a world of elites you are shown consistently the prejudice and class system that permates the whole setting. So when a smug wizard gets smashed in the face by a big rusty sword its very effective at making me go hell yeah!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

Aster is a more likeable protaganist to me because instead of just saying he's salt of the earth in a world of elites you are shown consistently the prejudice and class system that permates the whole setting. So when a smug wizard gets smashed in the face by a big rusty sword its very effective at making me go hell yeah!!

What got me to give Black Clover a try was when you posted that picture of Aster saying nope to the bad guys getting away and cancelling their retreat by loving tossing his anit-magic sword at their escape portal thing.

That was loving boss.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I like the girl who can't control her magic and is nobility, but all her family members look down on her

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

I like the girl who can't control her magic and is nobility, but all her family members look down on her

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

But which girl are you talking about

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The once and future waifu

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

But which girl are you talking about

All of them????

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Aster and Juno actually acting like brothers who have grown up together is one of the things I actually really like about this series, instead of the MC having someone they keep calling a "good friend" despite them being a gigantic prick for some reason (looking at you, My Hero Academia).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

Aster and Juno actually acting like brothers who have grown up together is one of the things I actually really like about this series, instead of the MC having someone they keep calling a "good friend" despite them being a gigantic prick for some reason (looking at you, My Hero Academia).

Deku hasn't been good friends with Baron Explodokill since they were 4. They're rivals, which just makes Baron Explodokill angrier. Everything makes him angrier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats his default.
Which is better than the 'too cool for school' rivals every shonen is fond of.

MHA's hot blooded rival is a breath of fresh air compared to the shonen stagnation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bakugou is a character who should've grown out of his exaggerated assholishness before he was pulled out of the plot.

anyway, i'm hoping Luck gets some time in the upcoming chapters. he's my favorite Bull so far

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

Bakugou is a character who should've grown out of his exaggerated assholishness before he was pulled out of the plot.

anyway, i'm hoping Luck gets some time in the upcoming chapters. he's my favorite Bull so far
We haven't been introduced to the main group of Bulls yet so I imagine Agrippa and whatever the disguise guy are probably will get an arc with Aster next?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

new chapter is out

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Singing?
More like Yawning.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

We haven't seen charmy in a while, I'm glad of the beach chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked how that dude just kept running around copying people.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Was the moon always an egg?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Was the moon always an egg?

You dumbass, now Charmy is gonna go eat the moon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

I mostly just read this series when I remembered it existed but literally everything Yami did in the last arc has me watching this now because him talking like an MC was hilarious.

"I was about ready to awaken to my hidden powers when you fools jumped in. How are you going to repay me for this?" when he was about ready to die is one of the best lines I've seen in a shounen in a long time.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

new chapter https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/black_clover/en/0/58/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I like how he didn't even correct her when she starts calling him Bakaster.