Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

There's also the part where 3/4 known victims being girls isn't really a pattern and it could easily just be the result of picking at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
True. I guess I was viewing the murders as more of a sexual predator kind of thing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AnoHito posted:

There's also the part where 3/4 known victims being girls isn't really a pattern and it could easily just be the result of picking at random.

Random would be a horrible cop-out given the majority of serial killers IRL are very specific about their victims. It just means the connection between each victim isn't their sex.

I also wonder if the mother's death was planned to trigger the sons Revival given that it wasn't an emotional stabbing (Multiple stab wounds/slicing and dicing), it was pretty calculated. A pedophile extracting revenge for losing out on a potential victim would make their target 'pay' rather than ending their life so unceremoniously.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Rangpur posted:

I forgot it was set in Hokkaido, too. That's not, like, Alaska-levels of isolation but they're basically living in Japan's equivalent of a town in northern Maine. Complete with serial child murderer!

Same here. This information has forced me to reevaluate some of my older speculation.
My new theory is that Cool Mom was the only actual murder victim in the show. All the children were mauled by bears.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If they're in Sapporo then no, it's not actually like living in a smaller town. It's actually one of the bigger cities in Japan.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
gently caress, this is sum good poo poo. Grips you from the first episode as opposed to waiting around for 3-4 to get good.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

EP4 Can't say I didn't see that coming

Edit: I think this also confirmed the teacher isn't involved in the kidnappings/murders, just planning for their birthday

Demicol fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 28, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This sure was dramatic irony the episode.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I don't really want to call it a translation mistake, because it's a tricky line to handle, but...

(ep 4)When he looks at her face and lets slip "Kao, kirei da na" and it's subtitled as "You're pretty" the least I can do is whine about things getting lost in translation.

In Japanese, the word "kirei" is heavily contextual, and in some cases it will mean "pretty, beautiful" while in others it will mean "clean, unmarked".

Here we have the backdrop of last week's scenes where Satoru realizes the reason Hinazuki is always late on Mondays is because she's beaten on Saturdays, and the "drowning" where mommy attempts to bring down Hinazuki's swelling after a heavy beating. Now Satoru stages the date to spare her this awful fate, and when it succeeds, he's relieved to see her face free of bruises. Hence "kao, kirei da na" == "Her face is unmarked."

However, seen from Hinazuki and the classmates' side, it's a straight compliment on how pretty her face is, and they obviously explode in mirth at this hapless Don Juan statement. In this context, "kao, kirei da na" == "You(r face) look(s) pretty."

In short, it's an intentionally ambiguous line where the subtitles unfortunately might have people scowling at the 29-year-old protagonist. Not sure how to fix it, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shiiiiiiiit. It was pretty obvious what would happen but it doesn't make it any less depressing.

That said, it's interesting and heartening to see that we're not in a closed time loop. It's not like Stein's;Gate where someone is fated to die at a specific point in time no matter what anyone else tries to do. In fact I'd say Satoru's biggest mistake is fixating on a single date. I mean, what's one more day, week, month to a serial killer?

darkgray posted:

I don't really want to call it a translation mistake, because it's a tricky line to handle, but...

(ep 4)When he looks at her face and lets slip "Kao, kirei da na" and it's subtitled as "You're pretty" the least I can do is whine about things getting lost in translation.

In Japanese, the word "kirei" is heavily contextual, and in some cases it will mean "pretty, beautiful" while in others it will mean "clean, unmarked".

Here we have the backdrop of last week's scenes where Satoru realizes the reason Hinazuki is always late on Mondays is because she's beaten on Saturdays, and the "drowning" where mommy attempts to bring down Hinazuki's swelling after a heavy beating. Now Satoru stages the date to spare her this awful fate, and when it succeeds, he's relieved to see her face free of bruises. Hence "kao, kirei da na" == "Her face is unmarked."

However, seen from Hinazuki and the classmates' side, it's a straight compliment on how pretty her face is, and they obviously explode in mirth at this hapless Don Juan statement. In this context, "kao, kirei da na" == "You(r face) look(s) pretty."

In short, it's an intentionally ambiguous line where the subtitles unfortunately might have people scowling at the 29-year-old protagonist. Not sure how to fix it, though.
Proread right there.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It seems an odd statement to make anyway, because doesn't Kayo's mom avoid hitting her face? It'd be pretty hard for a casual observer to miss otherwise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It seems an odd statement to make anyway, because doesn't Kayo's mom avoid hitting her face? It'd be pretty hard for a casual observer to miss otherwise.

Satoru isn't a casual observer, and his adult-voice overlapped with his child-voice, which happens when he's accidentally thinking out loud.

Dude's just got a real bad poker-face.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Strange Quark posted:

I present to you this scene from last week's episode:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

Satoru isn't a casual observer, and his adult-voice overlapped with his child-voice, which happens when he's accidentally thinking out loud.

Dude's just got a real bad poker-face.

I mean it in the sense Kayo's mom wants to fool everyone else. And she's pretty successful as long as nobody looks too close at Kayo.

darkgray posted:

I present to you this scene from last week's episode:

If her face hadn't shown up at school before, I wouldn't think it would happen now. I guess I think it's weird to focus on the face when Kayo gets bruises everywhere.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think something like "you look good" would get close to the same meaning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I mean it in the sense Kayo's mom wants to fool everyone else. And she's pretty successful as long as nobody looks too close at Kayo.

If her face hadn't shown up at school before, I wouldn't think it would happen now. I guess I think it's weird to focus on the face when Kayo gets bruises everywhere.

Satoru's become experienced in spotting Kayo's bruises. It's quite plausible that he could tell whether she's been beaten from a quick once-over.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Barely started this episode, but his internal monologue slipping out always makes for a great scene.

So smooth.

E:
gently caress

gently caress!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 28, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fuuuck I was scared of finishing this epsidode because I knew this was going to happen one way or another. I was really hoping it wouldn't

But the future refused to change.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

how much of the manga did this episode cover?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

In fact I'd say Satoru's biggest mistake is fixating on a single date. I mean, what's one more day, week, month to a serial killer?

I think the idea he had was he thought she was targeted because she was alone/easy to pick off and that by being around her all the time, he'd change that. Clearly he was wrong.

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe

Radio Spiricom posted:

how much of the manga did this episode cover?
All of chapter 11 and the remaining pages of chapter 12 that weren't covered in episode 3.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I spent that entire episode nervously waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I thought it would be in the form of another student being murdered. I was expecting them to kill off the girl who tried to frame Hinazuki, since it seems like Satoru has inadvertently made her into the most isolated student instead of Hinazuki. They drew attention to her in this episode but I guess it was a red herring.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This show is boss, and I'm glad to be around it from the beginning this time like Rokka so I can join the speculations. :)

Same here, I was expecting there to be a different kid murdered.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AnoHito posted:

I think the idea he had was he thought she was targeted because she was alone/easy to pick off and that by being around her all the time, he'd change that. Clearly he was wrong.

This alone makes me think it's likely the killer has some kind of connection to her specifically.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Same here, I was expecting there to be a different kid murdered.

Ditto, however is it possible that the ending was just a red herring? And everything is okely dokely the next day?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

SweetBro posted:

Ditto, however is it possible that the ending was just a red herring? And everything is okely dokely the next day?

It's possible. She'd mentioned that she was skipping out on sleep working on Satoru's present, and she really played up the whole "I'm absolutely going to finish this for you for tomorrow" thing, which makes me think that she'd slept in.

I guess it's also possible that Satoru's mother sic'ed DCF on the family earlier than initially planned, since she wasn't initially part of the equation, just the teacher.

That being said, I expect that Satoru's going to get framed for something in Timeline2-1988 also, given that he was casing the victim's house at 12AM, in the middle of winter, the day before she disappeared.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that Kayo has two major threats to her health. Making her less isolated might drive off the local serial killer, but it's still only a matter of time until her mum gets too carried away when beating her. Satoru might have prevented one just to set up the other.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm half-expecting that she wasn't even killed by the serial killer in the first place. Like, maybe her mother just got really angry and hit her too hard one day, and the timing happened to coincide with the other killings so the serial killer got blamed for it.

Also, I'm not sure why Satoru ever put so much faith in her specific time of death. She just went missing one day and her body was found months later, right?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Clarste posted:

I'm half-expecting that she wasn't even killed by the serial killer in the first place. Like, maybe her mother just got really angry and hit her too hard one day, and the timing happened to coincide with the other killings so the serial killer got blamed for it.

Also, I'm not sure why Satoru ever put so much faith in her specific time of death. She just went missing one day and her body was found months later, right?

I've wondered about that. My theory has been that in Timeline One Kayo got beaten badly after she defied her mother to go to the Science Museum (and ran into Satoru by chance when she did), and when he noticed her on the day of her death she was too afraid to go home, fell asleep in the park, and froze to death. The police found the evidence of the beatings on her body and concluded that she was murdered by the serial killer.

In this, Timeline Two, Satoru's mom put enough pressure on Kayo's mom to keep her from getting the weekend beating, and her inclusion in to the group of friends (and Satoru being with her that evening) kept her from staying out alone...which means she didn't freeze, but now the serial killer did get her. :cripes:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Honestly, I really thought he saved Kayo there but someone was going to die in her place. Mainly the that girl that sits beside him or Hiromi who we got that scene of splitting off from Kayo and Satoru during the day Kayo disappeared. Then those death flags appeared just before the end and...

I'm going to guess that the murders and the time looping won't stop until Satoru goes after the murderer instead of taking a more protective apporach.

Kytrarewn posted:

That being said, I expect that Satoru's going to get framed for something in Timeline2-1988 also, given that he was casing the victim's house at 12AM, in the middle of winter, the day before she disappeared.
There's no way a police agency, even a showa Japanese one, will suspect a 11 year old boy of premeditated murder.

jng2058 posted:

My theory has been that in Timeline One Kayo got beaten badly after she defied her mother to go to the Science Museum (and ran into Satoru by chance when she did), and when he noticed her on the day of her death she was too afraid to go home, fell asleep in the park, and froze to death. The police found the evidence of the beatings on her body and concluded that she was murdered by the serial killer.
I don't know about that. Her body was clearly found under a mountain of garbage.

Clarste posted:

I think it's fair to think that went a person goes missing and they show up death later on, the time they went missing is the day something happened to them.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 29, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zettace posted:

Honestly, I really thought he saved Kayo there but someone was going to die in her place. Mainly the that girl that sits beside him or Hiromi who we got that scene of splitting off from Kayo and Satoru during the day Kayo disappeared. Then those death flags appeared just before the end and...

What were the death flags? I ask as for me it's merely an assumption on my part that something bad is going to happen or there's no story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man I could tell that was coming but, urgh. :(

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

What were the death flags? I ask as for me it's merely an assumption on my part that something bad is going to happen or there's no story.

Hinazuki saying "I promise I'll give you your present tomorrow" was definitely an indication that that thing would not happen

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well of course something bad would happen, the question is what is it and how.

Stuff kept happening that showed nothing actually deviated from the main timeline, like having the same conversation despite different circumstances, or even that explicit animation of the metaphorical film reels aligning, giving good cues that the outcome would be the same.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

It's possible. She'd mentioned that she was skipping out on sleep working on Satoru's present, and she really played up the whole "I'm absolutely going to finish this for you for tomorrow" thing, which makes me think that she'd slept in.

I guess it's also possible that Satoru's mother sic'ed DCF on the family earlier than initially planned, since she wasn't initially part of the equation, just the teacher.

Bolded is my current thoughts on the matter. This show's pretty good at dropping red herrings all over the place (the secret meeting with Kenya and the teacher in Ep 3... just planning for their birthday!), which in one sense is kind of annoying but it also keeps me on my toes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think if the ending is a red herring it would be mid episode to be honest.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

The cool thing about the cast in this is that you can make literally every adult character that isn't his mum seem ominous, threatening, and inscrutable just by putting the camera at the kids' eye level for a single cut. It's an endless ocean of red herrings and they can just keep doing it forever. It's great! :allears:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Jostiband posted:

The cool thing about the cast in this is that you can make literally every adult character that isn't his mum seem ominous, threatening, and inscrutable just by putting the camera at the kids' eye level for a single cut. It's an endless ocean of red herrings and they can just keep doing it forever. It's great! :allears:
Being a 10 year old is scary.

Also this is my favorite anime about a 29 yo dating a 10 yo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just started watching the new episode and god Satoru's mom is the coolest person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

I just started watching the new episode and god Satoru's mom is the coolest person

She's great, and even if i wasn't obviously against mom-stabbing in general, i'm extra against her murder in particular.

• Locked thread