Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think that might just be for visual confirmation that they're looking at the wreckage of Officer Dick's plane.

Why would he be touting a pistol with an SAS motto on it, is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

Why would he be touting a pistol with an SAS motto on it, is the point.

Oh, yeah.

...Hm. Yeah, when I first saw it I had assumed it was just a petty war trophy, especially since he called the Britannian ambassador a dog to his face, but it does seem a bit odd that it would come back up if that were all it is.

Also, gifs:

:3:

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011
The action sequence was a bit weirdly paced (That anti-tank rifle firing wasn't quite as exciting as I was hoping it'd be, but I can't really say I'm super knowledgeable about firearms in general).
Other than that I liked the looks back at their pasts a bit more, even if it was mostly flashes and retreaded a bit of what we already knew. Overall it was a good second episode and I'm definitely gonna keep up with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I got the sense the SAS pistol was a war trophy too. He seemed to be fiddling with and fawning over it like it was something he'd just gotten a hold of. It being shown later was more than likely to tell the audience it was that dude's plane more so than serious plot significance.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

The action sequence was a bit weirdly paced (That anti-tank rifle firing wasn't quite as exciting as I was hoping it'd be, but I can't really say I'm super knowledgeable about firearms in general).
Other than that I liked the looks back at their pasts a bit more, even if it was mostly flashes and retreaded a bit of what we already knew. Overall it was a good second episode and I'm definitely gonna keep up with it.

I also know little about firearms, and maybe it wasn't exciting, but at the very least it was hilarious:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's a Luger. It's the most distinctive German pistol out there. The motto is meant to make him out to be some kind of badass spec operator (not so badass when he nearly got blasted by his captive and got smeared across the forest).

Alot of it felt like almost schmatzy stirring of national spirit of times, but that got diluted by the fact that Izetta isn't even a native of Elstadyt. Moral of the story: be welcoming to migrants, and they will put their lives on the line for you.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

It's a Luger. It's the most distinctive German pistol out there.

I've been assuming it's also a minor reference to The Man with the Golden Gun. Of course, that gun wasn't a Luger or anything, but when I see "blocky golden pistol" it's the first thing that jumps to mind :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first thing that springs into my mind when someone says gold Lugers is RE: Code Veronica.

Anyway the SAS didn't exist until 1941, weren't called that until a couple of years later and it would be fairly unlikely to have golden guns with their motto emblazoned on it at that time. Or ever really.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

it would be fairly unlikely to have golden guns with their motto emblazoned on it at that time. Or ever really.

Watch it turn out to be a scathing parody of Donald Trump.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. My apologies, then. That's just how the scene read to me.

I wonder why they put the motto on a Germanian pistol, then.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

AnacondaHL posted:

I also know little about firearms, and maybe it wasn't exciting, but at the very least it was hilarious:

That was pretty funny.

I'm surprised their toes didn't get all frostbitten though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

That was pretty funny.

I'm surprised their toes didn't get all frostbitten though.

Eh, they didn't actually stay on the mountaintops for very long, and there's nothing to suggest it's wintertime down where you'd expect it to be warmer.

I did like the detail of Izetta getting her legs all scratched up from having to walk through the woods in a hospital gown. I wonder if her not noticing until the doctor pointed it out was supposed to be more "I am magically resistant to pain" or "I'm so devoted to the wounded Fine that I don't notice my own welfare?" Probably the latter, but we'll see.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Good show except for the constant HIME-SAMA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is cool

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I thought the new episode was about as good as it needed to be. Safe, and pushed things forwards just enough to be good.

E: didn't realize there was another page, this is for something on the previous one.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think that might just be for visual confirmation that they're looking at the wreckage of Officer Dick's plane.

This pretty much. That was a good shot.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 10, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Sad that the mustached fighter pilot guy turned out to be a Nazi, but otherwise it was a good episode. This show is pretty good

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Moustached fighter pilot lived to moustache another day. I dunno about the Nazi bit, he seemed like the gruff guy just doing it cause it's his career while his younger squadron mates drink the fascism kook aid.
Anyhow, apparently Elystadt's Mary seems to use French uniforms and tanks. I couldn't get a read on the silhouettes of their planes though, I wonder if this was chosen because Austrian equipment would have looked too much like the German stuff or if it's just a case of the stereotypical Japanese love of France.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Sad that the mustached fighter pilot guy turned out to be a Nazi, but otherwise it was a good episode. This show is pretty good

I actually like that not all of the not-Nazis are Literally Hitler. It makes sense that there were at least some people in the army that were there out of a soldier's loyalty rather than being an indoctrinated rear end in a top hat. It helps to humanize the war a bit, instead of it being a purely ideological good vs evil plot mechanism like it is in so many other stories.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I actually like that not all of the not-Nazis are Literally Hitler. It makes sense that there were at least some people in the army that were there out of a soldier's loyalty rather than being an indoctrinated rear end in a top hat. It helps to humanize the war a bit, instead of it being a purely ideological good vs evil plot mechanism like it is in so many other stories.

On the other hand there was a literal not-Einsatzgruppen in Izetta's weird flashback

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

A big flaming stink posted:

On the other hand there was a literal not-Einsatzgruppen in Izetta's weird flashback

I'm still not sure if they're going to have the Mopzies rounding up all the Jypsies and Yews, or just decide to sidestep that bit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Today's episode was alright. A little slower than I would have liked, but the action scenes were cool. I really liked Izetta hulking out on the Tanks, and the sword-shield. RIP King.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, yeah, I never said they didn't exist.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Today's episode was alright. A little slower than I would have liked, but the action scenes were cool. I really liked Izetta hulking out on the Tanks, and the sword-shield. RIP King.

I really liked the slower pacing actually. It made for a really engaging war drama, especially how we got to follow Jonas's perspective of the whole event.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I mean, yeah, I never said they didn't exist.

The point being that not only was everyone under the Nazi regime arguably complicit in its horrors, the eastern theater showed that pretty much everyone became an eager active participant the moment they were provided the opportunity.

e: also THIS is what we could have had if Michael wasn't a hypocritical no-interference loser.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 15, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

The music in this show owns incredibly hard

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like I'm going to write myself into a corner if I keep arguing, so I won't. I just think it's a good thing that the show was willing to humanize one of the soldiers, if only somewhat, instead of making them all sniveling, poo poo-eating assholes or just generic soldier-men like the other guys in his platoon.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
I really liked the latest episode (especially the action sequences!), but the frequent-enough-to-be-noticeable fanservice/butt shots kept on taking me out of the scenes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Weed Wolf posted:

I really liked the latest episode (especially the action sequences!), but the frequent-enough-to-be-noticeable fanservice/butt shots kept on taking me out of the scenes

The only one that really bothered me was when Izetta landed on a tank and was sitting in front of the viewport, but it was pretty egregious, yeah.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only one that really bothered me was when Izetta landed on a tank and was sitting in front of the viewport, but it was pretty egregious, yeah.

That's the only one that really stood out for me too.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Improbable tactical shorts aside, this show seems really loving restrained on fanservice overall. (outside of the OP)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Improbable tactical shorts aside, this show seems really loving restrained on fanservice overall. (outside of the OP)

Yeah, half the reason I even noticed it was because of how restrained it was in the first two episodes - Fine's shower scene and her having to go topless while she got her arm patched up were easy opportunities for the show to get pretty skeevy that it thankfully passed on. I imagine Izetta gets one of her battle dresses from the OP next episode, and neither of them looks super fanservice-y, so hopefully this episode won't start a trend.

Speaking of which, I bet next episode is more of a character thing. Elystadt regrouping, officially working Izetta into the ranks, Germania plotting, Fine grieving for her almost certainly dead dad, and hopefully Izetta getting to provide some emotional support.

Edit: Just rewatched on a whim, and I must say this episode held up a lot better the second time around, for some reason. The music continues to be really good, the animation is generally workmanlike-to-great, the art has a nice eye for small details, and Fine and Izetta's little moment at the end was very sweet - and definitely felt like a real important capstone to the episode.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 15, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blocking a tank shell with those swords was cool as heck.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I really liked the geography in the third episode and how it affected the battle. Those overhead scenes of the area were incredible.

I keep wondering if Elystadt is culturally/linguistically Germanic and related to Germania to a degree or are they just going with Germanic names/anthems just because. Fake history makes things hard.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I'm curious how they will keep playing with the modern vs. classic theme as the show goes on. There are obvious narrative reasons to theme Elystadt as old-fashioned in style and military accouterments (to make them seem all the more outmatched and in need of rescuing), but when we have the weapons of Elystadt medieval nobility overcoming state-of-the-art Germanian tanks and bombers, I'm expecting there will be something more going on thematically down the line. What happened to the original White Witch of legend? Why was Izetta (apparently) attacked by a rural mob as a child? Will there be a darker side to Elystadt's reverence for the monarchy?

That aside, if the show never gets any deeper than "magically supercharging anti-tank rifle shells loving rules, huh?," I won't be all that disappointed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked how Jonas was set up to die with the family photo trope...and then a bunch of other people died and he survived.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man Dancer posted:

I'm curious how they will keep playing with the modern vs. classic theme as the show goes on. There are obvious narrative reasons to theme Elystadt as old-fashioned in style and military accouterments (to make them seem all the more outmatched and in need of rescuing), but when we have the weapons of Elystadt medieval nobility overcoming state-of-the-art Germanian tanks and bombers, I'm expecting there will be something more going on thematically down the line. What happened to the original White Witch of legend? Why was Izetta (apparently) attacked by a rural mob as a child? Will there be a darker side to Elystadt's reverence for the monarchy?

That aside, if the show never gets any deeper than "magically supercharging anti-tank rifle shells loving rules, huh?," I won't be all that disappointed.

I'd be pretty surprised if Izetta getting attacked by a lynch mob turns out to be much more than a bunch of paranoid backwaters going "KILL THE FREAK," though I admit that the fact that they didn't give us the details with the rest of Izetta's flashback in episode 2 makes one assume there's something significant we don't know yet. I will say I'm also curious to hear the whole White Witch legend - the King gave a bit of an impression that he didn't entirely trust the Witch, even if she exists.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Something tells me that at some point we'll get a plot point dedicated to "we have an ultimate weapon now, we should exploit her to the fullest regardless of all ethical and moral consequences" which will inevitably involve Fine as well. It only makes sense for some idiot in the Elystadt army to get in over their heads over how much of a trump card Izetta is only to end up forcing her into a battle against her will

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

doesnt need to be, the wehrmacht happily engaged in mass killings of civilians, sometimes as reprisals, other times because they were of a particular ethnic group

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if Izetta getting attacked by a lynch mob turns out to be much more than a bunch of paranoid backwaters going "KILL THE FREAK," though I admit that the fact that they didn't give us the details with the rest of Izetta's flashback in episode 2 makes one assume there's something significant we don't know yet. I will say I'm also curious to hear the whole White Witch legend - the King gave a bit of an impression that he didn't entirely trust the Witch, even if she exists.

There's at least a 50% chance this is a mistranslation. What I heard was shiroki majo wa warera wo sukuttewakurerusa (i.e., the white witch will save us), and the Japanese subs/internet reaction back that up, so actually in that sense it was definitely mistranslated. However, there seems to be some speculation that it was misrecorded or something, and he was supposed to say sukuttehakurenusa, which would mean the subs are right and the actual audio is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dessel posted:

I really liked the geography in the third episode and how it affected the battle. Those overhead scenes of the area were incredible.

I keep wondering if Elystadt is culturally/linguistically Germanic and related to Germania to a degree or are they just going with Germanic names/anthems just because. Fake history makes things hard.

The ruler was called an "archduke"* at some point, I think. Which I think was only ever used by the Austrians.

*Well, "archduchess", now.

• Locked thread