Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Special mention WTF award to Sacred Slayer Matoi for actually airing a recap episode this week after the conclusion last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

1. Love Live Sunshine
Great music, great characters, interesting approach to reusing the same general plot of OG LL. Lots of small, striking moments that stuck with me. Hyped for season 2.

2. Flip Flappers
Nothing about the premise of this interested me, but the screenshots were too pretty to not give it a shot. This show is just beautiful. The way the environments they visit factor into characterization is lovely. It all feels very intricate. I was disappointed with the ending, but this is still something I'll be coming back to. OP/ED are both fantastic too.

3. Space Patrol Luluco
I'm not well versed in Trigger shows, so most of the references went over my head. Regardless, this was a funny, frenetic show that packed as much as possible in it's 7 minutes a week. Also another great ED.

4. Re:Zero
Only show this year I had to take a break from because it got too heavy. Much more focus on interpersonal relations and anxiety than I expected from an overused premise.

5. Diamond is Unbreakable
The Jojo anime is still good.

Honorables:

Magic of Stella - Excellent use of long silences and quick cuts for humor. Great ED. Honda is adorable.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou - As a fan of fried food and electronic music, I was glad to see them both get their due, in anime.

Kiznaiver - Very pretty, very good start, Excellent character study in the middle. Shame about the last like, 5 episodes.

Yami Shibai Season 3 - They made it decent again after season 2 was such a bummer. Let's see how season 4 looks in January.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 30, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Has anyone actually seen Twin Star Exorcist? Why do sunnis love it so much?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i didn't realize italians were so devoid of good taste

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

Has anyone actually seen Twin Star Exorcist? Why do sunnis love it so much?
Crunchy's library varies a lot based on region, so it might just be a case where that's the only halfway watchable thing available on crunchy in those regions.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I forget, was Twin Star the Persona hidden dimension thing or the cult raising children as their chosen one thing? Was it both? I think it might have been both.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xinder posted:

You'd think they'd watch 91 Days, unless it was a little close to home

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Some spoilers over the results so far:

- 68 posters have voted so far. I don't know when voting closes, but this is kinda low compared to prior years.
- Votes are very spread out (52 titles have at least 1 Top5 vote!), due to the higher number of quality of shows this year. This is further highlighted by the low number of voters.
- The 1st place vote is mostly locked up, but 2 through 17(!) are all pretty close.

Get your votes in!

The year hasn't even finished yet and it is open for two weeks after that anyways.

Also all votes for Euphonium before it finished should be disqualified as a matter of course. But not Flip Flap.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Ok I'm watching now and looks like the first episode starts with the MCs town getting burnt down and everyone he knows dieing.

Maybe the arab world can relate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
euphonium and flip flappers are both good, so don't discount votes for either of them

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Popularity on that CR thing was defined as first-ep viewcount.

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
1. Mob Psycho 100
I didn't expect a whole lot from this going in, because I haven't touched the manga yet and I've been getting kind of bored with the OPM manga, but man, does this just do everything right. The visuals are amazing, and there's so many lovable characters.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
A solid drama wrapped up in a fascinating cultural showpiece. Can't wait for S2.

3. KonoSuba
One of those shows that I dismissed immediately, but then got beaten over the head with tons of recommendations. It's far funnier than it has any right to be, and a big part of that is the VAs really nailing the material.

4. Yuri!!! on Ice
I'm a-OK with the fujoshi takeover if it means more shows like this and Rakugo. A lot of characters, Victor in particular, are infectiously likeable.

5. Keijo!!!!!!!!
Love me some straight-faced absurdity. This show is mostly a vehicle for delivering hilarious attack names, but it's a lot of fun. By all accounts I've seen, the manga is much better, so I'll have to dive into that sometime.

Honorable Mentions (or rather, shows that would almost certainly be on my top 5 if I were caught up on them):
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Haikyuu!!

2016 seems to have been a pretty drat strong year for anime. And looking at these lists, there's still a lot of shows I haven't seen that sound interesting. Although I still don't know what the hell to think about Re:Zero because I've seen such divided opinions about it from the word go, and it seems to be on a lot of Best and Worst lists even here in ADTRW. I guess I'll at least give it a shot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You'd think they'd watch 91 Days, unless it was a little close to home

That's an American gangster story

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Xinder posted:

They have better taste than he rest of the world actually, and people love old anime there so it's the place where most raws for old anime and manga come from

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

They have better taste than he rest of the world actually, and people love old anime there so it's the place where most raws for old anime and manga come from

They even got the best anime of 2016 back in 2015.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Latin speakers > Anglo speakers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lunatic Crossing posted:

2016 seems to have been a pretty drat strong year for anime. And looking at these lists, there's still a lot of shows I haven't seen that sound interesting. Although I still don't know what the hell to think about Re:Zero because I've seen such divided opinions about it from the word go, and it seems to be on a lot of Best and Worst lists even here in ADTRW. I guess I'll at least give it a shot.

the first three episodes are really rough, but after that it has some really consistently great character work and only starts to get a bit shaky towards the end

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

American fansubbers: I didn't like this one particular episode of a show so I'm going to stop fansubbing it forever.

Italian fansubbers: Ciao Minna! Today I bring a speciale episode of my favorite anime, Ryu, il ragazzo delle caverne (or Genshi shonen Ryu!) Also, here is every soundtrack for the show from every country in the world. Anime brings love to world World Peace Goodnight!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That being said ReZero sucks and I'm disappointed by Brazil once again

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Best 5:
1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
2. Orange
3. Re:Zero - I know it doesn't hold up to marathonning, but the experience of watching it along with the thread here and trying to figure out what was going on between the insanely-good pacing and cliffhangers was wonderful.
4. Anne-Happy. I really like dark humor, and Anne-Happy delivered wonderfully on that front.
5. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

HM: Qualidea Code (interesting setup, good characters, just suffered from poor animation), Masou Gakuen HxH (self-loathing "powerup through sex" ecchi/harem/comedy show, made me laugh uproariously every week), Netoge, Dagashi Kashi, Bijutsubu, ReLife, KonoSuba, New Game.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 31, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sorry, if anyone can see it, where did Re:Life do well?

(color blindness :argh:)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
mongolia and india and a few parts of southwest africa

e: well i guess it's more of central africa but ehhh

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Both Congos, the CAR, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Mongolia, Cambodia and Malaysia.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Alright. This year was actually a lot of catch-up for me, watching poo poo I missed from years past. Regardless, in no particular order!

Re:Zero: I don't get the hate on the ending. I mean, it wasn't Steins;Gate or Madoka level awesomeness, but it was perfectly serviceable. Honestly, I wish they had gone those extra 2 minutes for the next arc's twist. My head would've exploded if they had the balls to do that.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: Awwwwwww, yeeeeeeeeeeeah. :c00l:

Osomatsu-san: My kind of comedy. I have an affinity for shows like Nichijou, Nichi-bros, and Joshiraku, and this did not disappoint.

Mob Psycho 100: What is there to say that hasn't already been said?

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled: I'm going to give this a shout out because it is Code Geass, and I will always pine for more notLelouche. And the action scenes were so awesome even if they went a little too Michael Bay on us with the close-in panning low telephoto shots.

Things I haven't finished that still get an honorable mention:
Occultic;Nine
91 Days
Kiss Him, Not Me

Things I haven't watched but probably should by everyone else's lists:
Flip Flappers
Euphonium (S1 + S2)
Sakamoto-san

Honorable Mentions from yesteryear that I missed:
Your Lie in April: Holy gently caress, this show. :cry:
Birdy the Mighty: Decode (especially season 2)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 31, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
1. Flip Flappers
I had a hard time composing my thoughts on this. It was enjoyable to watch, but I wasn't quite sure what I thought about the second half, mainly the discussions of the relationships between the characters that sprang up after episode 9. I'm honestly still a little undecided. Ultimately, though, the first seven episodes of this show were a great watch, and the second half of the show brought up lots of really interesting imagery and themes that it ultimately delivered on fantastically, and even when the show started hitting production issues, it handled them so gracefully you could very easily blink and miss it. It wasn't a perfect show, and I would have liked to see how the second half would've turned out with Ayana Yuniko staying on for the whole run, but I think what we got in the end is really great, full of energy and excitement with a really great message and I'm excited to see anything Oshiyama might direct in the future, as well as to continue looking at things he's worked on in the past (the rockman.exe movie is actually kind of good?!)

2. Sound! Euphonium
I don't think there's anything I can say about this that hasn't been said already. Thirteen episodes, and it only really tripped up on one of them, and it immediately made up for it a week later.

3. Mob Psycho 100
Just on a conceptual level, Mob is a more interesting premise than the show most people would compare it to, but while One-Punch Man is a crazy fun shining pinnacle of smooth, flowing action, Mob might be even better for how it not only is filled with equally beautiful animation, but often uses its loose style to go absolutely loving nuts and experiment with different animation styles in ways One-Punch Man could never even begin.

4. Space Patrol Luluco
Out of the two shorts I watched this year, I'm gonna have to give the medal to Luluco because I ultimately found a lot more charm and pure fun in it, and the final arc was the kind of thing I want out of every Imaishi show that he hasn't quite delivered on in a while: crazy, heartwarming, explosive, fun and cathartic.

5. Magic of Stella
Stella had plenty of issues, and it wasn't quite as well animated as the show people like to compare it to, but in the end I really loved how it tackled its premise, it had a fun cast of characters and an occasionally great sense of comedic timing. I've pushed shows like New Game and Amanchu pretty hard, but in the end I feel like Stella beats out both of them.

Honorable Mentions
Re:Zero
Amanchu
New Game
Concrete Revolutio
Osomatsu-san
Heybot!
TO BE HERO
Tales of Zestiria the X
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Konosuba

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I would have liked to see how the second half would've turned out with Ayana Yuniko staying on for the whole run

I've been thinking about this quite a bit myself, especially since it sounds like she got dragged away by some outside factor rather than getting fired or anything. I loved the ending we got, but I loved what little I've seen of Yuniko's stuff as well, so I'll wonder for a while how and where she might have changed the back end of the show. Probably would have been true to the same themes, but would they have been delivered radically differently? Or maybe just been less wordy? At any rate, I hope I see her name on something else again soon, because between the first half of Flip Flappers and Locodol, her stuff has had an easy warmth to it that I've enjoyed a whole lot.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
1. Flying Witch. Super relaxing show where everything is pleasant all the time. I just loved how utterly engrossing the show makes everything it covers, whether that be checking out the ruins on the back of a flying whale or making pancakes. Also managed to be pretty funny when it wanted to be.

2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. This is my favorite Jojo arc so far (having only watched the animes), both for style and substance. I really liked the few low-stakes episodes with stand users using their powers for stuff other than trying to kill the protagonists (like Harvest and the Italian restaurant), and on the opposite end of the spectrum everything from Bites the Dust to the end was thrilling.

3. Re:Zero. The first and last few episodes are a bit weak but I greatly enjoyed the rest. The show really manages to make Subaru suffer despite his infinite redo thing, which is both interesting to watch in its own right and makes for nice catharsis when he does finally get through.

4. Space Patrol Luluco. A high energy ride full of comedy, foolish love, and justice. I enjoyed seeing the Trigger Cinematic Universe too.

5. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. A charming comedy starring a bunch of wonderfully goofy folks.

All of those started in spring. Coincidence? Maybe!

Honorable mentions:
ERASED: It would probably have gotten on my top 5 if its last few episodes were as good as the rest. They're not bad but they're sort of a letdown.
2 Sound 2 Phonium: I'm probably judging this too harshly just because I didn't like it as much as the first season.
The Lost Village: An often hilarious parody that tried to be a bit too sincere for its own good sometimes.
Miss Bernard Said.: Miss Bernard's enthusiasm for books, though perhaps not the reading of them, is a lot of fun to watch.
Konosuba: Didn't care for it as much as a lot of others did, but Megumin is the best.
Mob Psycho 100: Didn't care for it as much as a lot of others did, but Reigen is the best.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Top Five After Much Deliberation
  • 1. Flip Flappers Beautiful, fun, creative, emotional. I love it and hope it gets a stateside release so i can stick it on my shelf

• 2. Osomatsu-san Ridiculous. Hilarious. There's things in it that make me laugh just by remembering that they happened.

• 3. Concrete Revolutio: the last song An amazing second half to an amazing series. Homages and allusions and some stellar animation and a great cast make this on likely to be one of my favorites for years to come

• 4. Sound! Euphonium 2 While not quite as rock solid amazing as the first season, Eupho 2 continues with its nuanced, varied characters and some top notch work by KyoAni

• 5. Flying Witch Low key magic and a lively, cute, funny cast.

The Also Really Good Rest of Them In No Particular Order

Mob Psycho 100: amazing animation, great cast, for all intents and purposes this is actually tied with Flying Witch, but gotta stick with 5 so.
Kiss Him, Not Me: Funny as hell. Cute as hell
Kuromukuro: Big and fun cast, some cool fights. I hope there's more to come.
My Hero Academia: I expected either cynicism or cheese, but i got neither. It's fun, i cheered, i'm looking forward to more.
Orange: I'm a big emotional baby and this played me like a fiddle while i loved every minute of it.
Re:Zero I didn't expect anything from this at all, and ended up being hooked. I hope there's more to come!
Sweetness and Lightning: Really great single dad manga, great kid, great dad, great show
ERASED: Really got under my skin. I should probably read the manga now as well.
Konosuba: everyone is an idiot and kind of a jerk and that's hilarious

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 31, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Top Five:
1. Mob Psycho 100: Not much to say that hasn't been covered already. Some of the themes hit close to home (emotions are okay - importance of guidance - self-improvement is about weaknesses, not strengths), so it takes the top spot.
2. Flip Flappers: I finally watched Madoka this year, and came out of it wanting a slightly more optimistic take on some of the same themes. Talk about nail-on-the-head from all the way out in left field. I can't recommend this enough.
3. Konosuba: This is the show that does the 'gamer in fantasy world' gimmick right, while at the same time nailing the comedic pacing throughout.
4. JJBA: DIU: It's Jojo. Might be my favorite arc now.
5. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: I have a secret love for Gundam, but only ever the side stories. I love the 'swap' of archetypes from the O.G. Gundam that it parallels (Io ~ Char, Daryl ~ Amuro).

Honorable Mentions:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Rule of Cool. I didn't watch Attack on Titan, so I liked this. That seems to be the deciding factor with anybody.
Assassination Classroom S2: How to adapt a manga perfectly without filler or Gainax endings.
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto: Like Kabaneri, this was entertainingly ridiculous.

Backlog award:
Madoka Magica: I knew something was up with all the apparent animosity for Kyubey, but stayed unspoiled. Very solid show but I think they might have written into a corner and Rebellion didn't help much.

Placement Denied:
Re:Zero: Subaru is the dumbest motherfucker I have ever seen in anime and he almost manages to invoke Ferrell's Law*. Just an un-loving-believably incompetent main character that gets carried through most of the plot by excessively shoehorned companions. I see the appeal, but Subaru ruins it by being dumber than dirt. Konosuba does everything better.

Things I'll probably watch next:
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Kiss Him, Not Me
Yuri On Ice

*Ferrell's Law: A Will Ferrell movie is only good if he is not playing the dumbest character in it, or more specifically a Will Ferrell movie's badness scales with the difference between his character's intelligence and the supporting cast. Stiller's Law is a direct inversion.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 31, 2016

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Top Five:
1. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
2. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt (space jazz)
3. ReZero (how lovely can main protagonist's life get)
3. Drifters
4. Mobile Suit Gundam ironblooded orphans (mgs5 gundam edition)

Honorable mention
Concrete Revolutio: the last song
Mob Psycho 100
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. , for some reason i liked previous JoJo more

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Top 5

5. Flying Witch/Sweetness & Lightning: Both of these shows were wonderful SoL shows that were great in their own ways, and I had so much trouble picking between the two that I had to cheat and pick both of them. Flying Witch was soothing in the same way that Sweetness & Lightning was heartwarming.

4. Magical Girl Raising Project: This show easily could have stumbled over its own premise, but instead it was a unique series that gave its story and characters meaning and impact.

3. Space Patrol Luluco: High-energy, over-the-top action and comedy that packed more into its short running time than most shows can do in a whole half-hour.

2. Love Live! Sunshine!!: Love Live! was already a great show, and Sunshine actually improved on everything that made the original so great.

1. Flip Flappers: Visually stunning, emotionally engaging, and symbolically clever in the best ways. An excellent use of the medium of animation.

Honorable Mentions
Things I wish I could put in the top 5.

Drifters: good old fashioned Hellsing-type history porn.

Brave Witches: Much like Sunshine!!, it was an impressive improvement on an already good series.

High School Fleet: It didn't reach the same level of quality that Girls und Panzer did, but it made an admirable enough effort.

Dagashi Kashi: Propaganda for the Japanese snack industry that entices you to eat junk food with Hotaru's hypnotic eyes.

Show By Rock S2: Cute, sweet and fun, like an anime dessert.

2016 was a really good year for anime. 2017 has a lot to live up to.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Xinder posted:

forget italy why the gently caress is Big Order the most popular anime in Iran

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

forget italy why the gently caress is Big Order the most popular anime in Iran

- it's based only on the number of unique views of episode 1
- territories outside North America/Canada/UK have way fewer options when it comes to series

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I make a personal and maybe a little pretentious distinction between shows that are just really top-notch entertainment and shows that are something above and beyond. This was a terrific season / year for the former but the only thing that kind of vaguely smelled of the latter was Flip Flappers, and it didn't pan out in the end.

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

Not my favorite Jojo or my favorite part, but Kira makes up for it.

2 / 3: Bungo Stray Dogs

This show leans pretty heavily on its gimmick but it's the perfect gimmick for me.

2 / 3: Mob Psycho 100

Fables as a mode of fiction rarely turn out well. Mob Psycho makes it work while looking fantastic.

4. Re:Zero

A clever, well-considered take on an otherwise tired genre.

5. Flip Flappers

Like others have said, the first half has great visual storytelling, great atmosphere, then it shifts to more conventional character drama and loses a lot of what made it special. Still pretty decent.

Honorable Mention: Kiznaiver

Where Flip Flappers is half brilliant and half ehh, Kiznaiver is constantly right on the edge of doing something genuinely interesting without ever getting there. It's a frustrating show with a lot of unrealized potential.

e: I skipped over a couple of shows that got new seasons but didn't start this year. Durarara!! and Natsume Yuujinchou might have made the list otherwise. Ushio and Tora would probably not have made the list but I want to call it out for how perfectly it resolves the issue of "what do we do with a villain who is pure evil made manifest, if not kill him?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 31, 2016

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I suppose I can delurk a bit.

5. Planetarian - a great translation from the game to anime form. As usual, Key can quietly murmur "you won't be needing that anymore" as they rip your heart out. Probably made my list because I'm a sucker for sad robot girls.

4. Flip Flappers - would clearly be higher on my list, if the last couple of episodes hadn't seemed to lose a bit of the thread of the story. (I tend to put more weight on well-executed endings than most folks do.) Wonderful ED that takes up residence in your head for a few months.

3. Amanchu! - a great slice-of-life show, with good characters and a nice story, very good animation quality, and the way the characters' facial expressions were animated really appealed to me

2. Konosuba - didn't take itself too seriously, made me laugh, likable characters, made me laugh, good balance of semi-serious 'quests' and general silliness, a profound philosophy of explosions, oh and it made me laugh

1. Flying Witch - great animation, gentle tone, interesting world and characters, and stayed consistent to itself throughout it's entire season. (I really like SoL, as my list probably makes quite clear). Best OP of year (IMO).

Honorable Mentions:
Hibike! Euphonium 2 - would have made my main list if it hadn't relegated Sapphire and Hazuki to cameo status. (I'm hoping the BD specials show both of them being picked up by Luluco for space adventures, while Kumiko Deals with Senpai Again)

Magic of Stella - good solid SoL, nothing spectacular, just thoroughly nice show. Best ED of year (IMO)

Myriad Colors Phantom World - very good animation, good stories (they used the phantoms well to include wider variety of individual story styles within each smaller story arc). What was supposedly the overall storyline seemed tacked onto the beginning and end, but ignored in the middle, which kept the whole from hanging together all that well. I also don't object to a bit of fanservice.

Haifuri / High School Fleet - okay, the rat thing was silly, but sometimes you get your plot where you can. Battle sequences were generally okay, but sometimes a bit unclear. Pretty good show overall, besides, girls bonding over yazuka movies was rather touching, and toilet paper really is important, you know.

Ooya-san wa Shishunki! - this was just a short, but I was really impressed over how much story was squeezed into those few minutes, and in every episode, too. It's like they took an admittedly moe SoL show and distilled it down to concentrated form.

Anne Happy - I'd have been assigned to that class. (Well, if I'd been an anime schoolgirl)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sweetness and Lightning - probably not gay unless you squint a lot and write fanfics about dad guy and his friend

Hibike Euphonium - standard kyoani ambiguity, the radio plays are pretty gay though

Yuri on Ice - kinda chickened out towards the end, might have a gay engagement? Seems like gay unrequited love.

Flip flappers - wedding dress transformation, then flying off with her highly problematic girlfriend. ULTRA GAY

100 Mob Psycho - i might be gay for the body improvement club

Runners up:

Izetta: might be gay? I stopped watching though

Space patrol luluco: the straightest thing I watched this year

A Silent Voice: what do you mean the main character doesn't end up with nagatsuka

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

wheelgun wielder posted:

girls bonding over yazuka movies was rather touching, and toilet paper really is important, you know.

it still drives me nuts how cute yet snappy the char writing could be with stuff like this, and yet the rest of the show is consigned to Aniplex's "sorry, we're not giving you guys enough resources to make a good show even though the show's premise hits a desirable but just barely untapped corner of the market." and it's like, look how popular it got for having literally zero advertisement before airing and for being constrained by a budget that wouldn't allow them to flesh out the naval surface combat like they wanted to.

friggin' fail production committees. who looked at the premise here sitting between GuP and KanColle and said, "woah, ww2 ships? high school girls in military combat? we should bet safely here." i am platinum mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Things I might watch based on others' lists: Konosuba (though I was going to watch this probably anyway), Flip Flappers, and Osomatsu-san. For some reason I thought Osomatsu was the one about the weirdly drawn lady going around to bars or something. Maybe Mob Pyscho though I'm really not that much of a One-punch man fan so that's been holding me back.

• Locked thread