Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I wholeheartedly object. You ate onion-based foods, but not the Onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wholeheartedly object. You ate onion-based foods, but not the Onion.

Precisely! Here in the UK, we are unable to have access to the Onion. This, and other ersatz solutions, are the best we can do. You may imagine the word 'Ersatz' inserted into that identifying slogan if you see fit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I personally feel this claim should get higher approval simply for correct use of the word 'ersatz'

Rhumbus
May 11, 2009
https://imgur.com/a/7omFk

My attempt at construction.

Still eating.

EDIT: De-australized images.

EDIT: Finished the "normal" parts, leaving the much less battered lumps of onion.

EDIT: im dying help

EDIT: Tapping out at 3/4 through. The remaining chunks were massive chunks of flavorless, mushy onion, and the radish makes even that sound tasty. Updated the album with result.

Lessons Learned:
- The ration of batter to onion, and the length of frying matter greatly. The solo petals were overcooked, making them thick shells of batter over wafer-thin onion slivers. The onion core, reconstructed bloom, and petal chunks all had much too little batter, making them just mushy onion. The spread out petals were cooked perfectly, and had a nice coating of batter. If I had just done the regular petals, and cooked them to the right time. I might have finished.
- Fried Radish is disgusting.

Depending on how guilty I feel for giving up, I may do a review of the punishment sauce later.

Rhumbus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rhumbus posted:

https://imgur.com/a/7omFk

My attempt at construction.

Still eating.

i like the avant garde upside-down photos

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

I found this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/almost-famous-bloomin-onion-recipe which suggests not cutting the whole way through the onion as Rhumbus did, but only most of the way down. I like the concept of dipping the onion in egg, then putting it on a plate with a lot of flour, covering it with a bowl and shaking it until it's covered, rinse repeat. My LDL cholesterol is over 400 just from reading the recipe unfortunately.

Rhumbus
May 11, 2009

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

I found this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/almost-famous-bloomin-onion-recipe which suggests not cutting the whole way through the onion as Rhumbus did, but only most of the way down. I like the concept of dipping the onion in egg, then putting it on a plate with a lot of flour, covering it with a bowl and shaking it until it's covered, rinse repeat. My LDL cholesterol is over 400 just from reading the recipe unfortunately.

I didn't cut all the way through, it tore under its own weight. You need to cut enough that the petals seperate, but not too much.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Truly this thread is something offal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AJ_Impy posted:

Precisely! Here in the UK, we are unable to have access to the Onion. This, and other ersatz solutions, are the best we can do. You may imagine the word 'Ersatz' inserted into that identifying slogan if you see fit.

a kebab house bhaji is probably going to be closer.

Tell them to make it extra large and cover it in curry sauce and doner

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Geop posted:

mods, help

this is clearly cyber-bullying

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
In my restless dreams, I see that onion.
Bloomin' Onion.
The whole thread said you should eat it, Geop.
But you never did.
Well, Rhombus eats it now.
That terrible onion,
Instead of you.

i don't loving know it's like 4 in the morning and i've been on a silent hill 2 kick

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

In my restless dreams, I see that onion.
Bloomin' Onion.
The whole thread said you should eat it, Geop.
But you never did.
Well, Rhombus eats it now.
That terrible onion,
Instead of you.

i don't loving know it's like 4 in the morning and i've been on a silent hill 2 kick

:golfclap:

Bravo. May an onion be eaten in your stead.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

hmmmm

theres only one outback steakhouse on the peninsula and of course its in daly city lol

team submissions acceptable?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
AJ you are hairier than expected.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When I first saw the commercial for the three-pointer my first thought was that no one on earth should be brave enough to eat it and my second thought was of Geop.

That commercial made me feel physically ill.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even onions may fry.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Blooming Onion, eat the Geop.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
kuvo eat the onion rings

kuvo ate the onion rings

geop eat the onion rings???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man I could sure go for a good burg right now, if nothing else

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Let's class this poo poo up.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo posted:

kuvo eat the onion rings

kuvo ate the onion rings

geop eat the onion rings???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_dIo1sDA_Q

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

This is how you make the thread feel.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
geop eat the onion rings

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Gridlocked posted:

AJ you are hairier than expected.

I'm considering going back to a more clean-shaven visage, but when the onion bell tolled, there wasn't much in the way of time.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

high class!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I do not think I would of eaten anything you just ate

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Herr Tog posted:

I do not think I would of eaten anything you just ate

Plebian. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Quit making sensible onion dishes you morons.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I have eaten the onion from the palace of the kangaroo. Here is my screenshot let's play of it. Unfortunately the thing with steak and crap on top of the onion is not a carryout option at my local Outback.

It begins. I did this at home because even I can not bare the shame of this inside a restaurant.

The first few bites. It's tasty!

Half way. Why am I doing this? Must proceed for the Goons!

Are the heart palpitations normal?

DONE! Now I am going to take a shower because I feel dirty.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
drat, that's going to be hard to top. I'll have to eat mine in-store, and hopefully they'll offer the three point version. Birthday candles maybe?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 2, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'll eat a raw onion on video (it's not like I'm hiding my face, and there's a positive side effect of living in the FSBland in that no psycho from the US can touch me)
Give me until April 11th to arrange

an arrangement

I'll eat it with a spoon

This is a :toxx:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm disappointed that no one has gone for the true three point onion. The menu is very clear about what the three points are:

The points are:
  1. A Bloomin' Onion
  2. Cheese fries
  3. Steak
No credit should be awarded for any attempt that does not include cheese fries and steak.

It turns out that Outback Steakhouse doesn't sell the 3-Point Bloomin' Onion for take-out. You have to actually go there. So our journey starts by actually going to an Outback Steakhouse. I suppose I should mention I'm not doing this alone, I'm dragging my brother and LP co-op victim partner along.

The 3-Point Bloomin' Onion arrives.

It doesn't look that bad from that angle. It's clear that the steak chunks are way larger and less numerous than the menu would suggest. The steak is actually pretty good. Slightly dry and more well done than you'd want if you were eating actual steak, but not bad for chunks of steak.

Once you're done with the steak you're left with what they call "Aussie cheese fries" on the menu but which look suspiciously like regular American fries loaded with American cheeses. I'd have to leave it to any actual Aussies in the audience to explain to me what makes these "Aussie." But the cheese fries aren't that bad either.

However...

Then you're left with what's basically a Bloomin' Onion that had a bunch of fries, cheese, and hunks of well done steak on it.

And even after you've removed that, a Bloomin' Onion is still a Bloomin' Onion.

That's good enough, right? Most of it eaten?

You can actually watch the grease drip off the onion petals.

So close now.

Before doing this I figured it couldn't possibly be that bad. That cis autodrag should be given a chance to eat some fried onions and be done with it. Now, though?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Xenoveritas posted:

Fries, piled high!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
well goddamnit now I guess you have to do a video to do better.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'll eat a raw onion on video (it's not like I'm hiding my face, and there's a positive side effect of living in the FSBland in that no psycho from the US can touch me)
Give me until April 11th to arrange

an arrangement

I'll eat it with a spoon

This is a :toxx:

for posterity.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 2, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:golfclap:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

:unsmigghh:

Also, god drat. I'm both impressed and a little concerned.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Fedule, was your plan to kill everyone in this subforum through a heart attack or something?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Clearly those goons who have tried to have the onion at home, though a valiant effort, did not do as the challenge specifically said. I don't blame them though. They just need the right tools.

:pusheen:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'll eat it with a spoon

Not just going to bite into it like an apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Oh yeah, as an Australian these things aren't cuisine, like a pie floater or lasagna topper.

• Locked thread