Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

again, the young people he revives will eventually become old. unless he plans to purge everyone who hits a certain age, it is inevitable. fetishizing youth doesn't change human nature or stop time.

He doesn't care about the young aging, where did you get this idea, he just sees old people as too set in their ways to be part of his new world whereas young people will follow him and his ideology more willingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

again, the young people he revives will eventually become old. unless he plans to purge everyone who hits a certain age, it is inevitable. fetishizing youth doesn't change human nature or stop time.

The idea is that Tsukasa believes their society corrupted its youth so each generation would become like the one preceding it, greedy, self-centered, and toxic. By making a clean break and only reviving the young, he thinks he can resume society with more of a fresh start and no corruption from the previous generation. Whether his ideology hold up in practice or not isn't the point, his methods and Senku and Taiju's refusal to adhere to his messed up plan are the real conflict.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god.

Tsukasa is Yoshiyuki Tomino. Now it all makes sense.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

tsukasa's ideology will lose but the threat he poses to senku personally is very real. tsukasa winning might not stop technology from progressing but it will slow it down by literally thousands of years, which is probably enough for him since I doubt he's thinking about what happens after he dies anyway

The thing is Tsukasa's goal seems to be kinda ill-defined and stupid. If he wants to try to create a new society without science, he's doomed for all the reasons I mentioned before.

If he only cares about his current life and doesn't care about anything beyond, then he can still revive adults without issue. The world has changed to the point that reviving adults will still not change it back to the old corrupt system anytime soon. It'll take decades if not centuries to reach the point where people can think about more than simple day-to-day survival and actually worry about politics and land ownership and the like. If anything he's actively making things harder and worse for himself by not reviving farmers who can work the land better, engineers/mechanics who can make living simpler by creating better tools, and doctors who can actively help with the numerous health issues that arise from living like ancient humans. The health issues of living in the society he's creating alone are nightmarish to me.

It reminds me of an old joke : "200 years ago people had no vaccines and ate organic, unprocessed food with no additives and lived to the ripe old age of 'died in childbirth'".

khy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 18, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Kohaku is a goddamn treasure.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I, too, wish for Harlem to return.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can't decide which face is best. Gen has so drat many great ones in this update.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mulderman posted:

Kohaku is a goddamn treasure.

I wish she wasnt The cheesecake delivery platform.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Mangastream was painful, have Jaimini's Box:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/24/page/1

Sorry to say no Harlems in this one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really like that Senku makes the jump from having iron to building a dynamo (now, how he intends to use the dynamo is another question entirely, but hey). I think a lot of writers would try and use iron as the big advantage in and of itself--better weapons, sturdier tools, that kind of thing. But Senku immediately goes "Okay, no, I can turn this into a giant magnet, and from there I can bootstrap electricity, and with that I can...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wasn't the iron just a middle step towards making an anti-biotic until that stage magician distracted him, anyway.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

a cartoon duck posted:

I, too, wish for Harlem to return.

Gen likes to dabble in the black arts.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't get it

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Weren't they going to use that iron to make penicillin?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

SgtSteel91 posted:

Weren't they going to use that iron to make penicillin?

Yes.

Power Generators are just an unimportant step along the way!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That last pose though :/ someone gaffed it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man I thought I was done with WSJ and I've never been super fond of "let's science the poo poo out of this" nonsense but there's something about this thing that really does it for me

I think it's the faces

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We don't deserve Boichi

Also from last week the VIZ translation of the 'trick' is much clearer along with a bunch of other stuff.

JB

VIZ

I love this manga so much it's so goddamn fun and I love how excited they all get over everything. Boichi's art really brings everything to life because there's always so much going on in the background. Suika is incredibly good and pure and I loved how amazing a stage magician would be to cavemen.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

Wasn't the iron just a middle step towards making an anti-biotic until that stage magician distracted him, anyway.

yeah he realized he needed something big to stop the magician from selling him out to tsukasa

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Elfgames posted:

yeah he realized he needed something big to stop the magician from selling him out to tsukasa

I think Iron into Dynamo was always the plan--in the big roadmap to the antibiotic, iron leads into electricity, so he can use electrolysis to get sodium hydroxide. It just *also* happens to be incredibly impressive to magician dude. Incidentally, I love how quickly he tosses aside the privileged position/all the ladies thing he'd be getting with Tsukasa, because the promise of eventually getting modern appliances is just so much better.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Electrolysis of salt water produces chlorine gas and NaOH. If you direct the chlorine gas back into the solution, it turns into chlorine bleach. You can use charcoal as an electrode.

Also apparently the recipe for ether is just sulfuric acid and ethanol, which makes it pretty depressing no one was using it as an anesthetic until the 1800s. I've read a lot of wikipedia articles about chemicals.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jazu posted:

Electrolysis of salt water produces chlorine gas and NaOH. If you direct the chlorine gas back into the solution, it turns into chlorine bleach. You can use charcoal as an electrode.

Also apparently the recipe for ether is just sulfuric acid and ethanol, which makes it pretty depressing no one was using it as an anesthetic until the 1800s. I've read a lot of wikipedia articles about chemicals.

The amount of reading I've had about chemicals jumped up about 600% or more when the science roadmap showed up. I'm curious why the sodium Bicarbonate image is a dog peeing though and not a box/can of baking soda.

E: The problem with looking this stuff up on Wikipedia is that it doesn't go into much detail about production. Why do you need Sodium Hydroxide to make Ammonia? It's not listed! Waiting to see how Senkuu does it is fun but doesn't satisfy immediate curiosity...

khy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 25, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jazu posted:

until germ theory everybody agreed that illness was caused by evil spirits and a poor blend of humours

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jazu posted:

Please keep posting because these are super informative and neat!

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Venuz Patrol posted:

until germ theory everybody agreed that illness was caused by evil spirits and a poor blend of humours

They did do surgery, and I'm sure people tried various things as anesthetic. My best guess is that ether is almost boiling at room temperature, so it's probably being produced as a gas, and you would have to pipe it into a flask or whatever immersed in cold water.

And gasses seem to have been a major conceptual gap in things, as far as I can tell. People seemed to just think of "air" most of the time. The first person who produced CO2 called it "fixed air", and oxygen was called "dephlogisticated air", and then there was the "nature abhors a vacuum" thing. Solid-liquid-gas is child-level chemistry now, but if you don't think of it as a basic property of all substances, you wouldn't be looking for stuff that goes from liquid to gas at body temperature, so you have to deliberately condense it, but then it will stay in a bottle without much trouble.

Or maybe it was just that anyone who decided to see what it smelled like gassed themselves to death in their tiny poorly-ventilated room and everyone went 'lol alchemists'. I guess gas as a medicine might be a pretty big leap.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Sounds to me like some of you might enjoy reading [url= http://www.thetoasterproject.org/]The Toaster Project[/url]: British dude decided to make a toaster from raw materials he himself extracted from nature, and turns into quite a journey.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

khy posted:

The amount of reading I've had about chemicals jumped up about 600% or more when the science roadmap showed up. I'm curious why the sodium Bicarbonate image is a dog peeing though and not a box/can of baking soda.

E: The problem with looking this stuff up on Wikipedia is that it doesn't go into much detail about production. Why do you need Sodium Hydroxide to make Ammonia? It's not listed! Waiting to see how Senkuu does it is fun but doesn't satisfy immediate curiosity...

Sodium bicarb and ammonia were switched places by mistake.
Which is weird since mangastream got it right this time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good timing for this video imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ExwOAjLNw

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't want series to ever go back to Tsukasa. Watching Senku just do SCIENCE! is so fun and optimistic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ha Kurita

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Galvanik posted:

I don't want series to ever go back to Tsukasa. Watching Senku just do SCIENCE! is so fun and optimistic.

Oh, I don't know. If Tsukasa and his fathomless stamina had been around they'd have made the Iron even quicker and progressed towards the Sulfonamide drug that much quicker. Besides which, he made an excellent idiot for Senku to play off of.

And eventually Senku needs to give him the Smartphone he's been dying to have, you know.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'll be sad once we have the eventual need for like, conflict and stuff. I could read 20 pages of Senku sciencing the poo poo out of the world every week for decades :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bet once the fighting starts, it'll force senku to build a rail gun or some other ridiculous thing

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Senku's currently busy building medicine while the strongest high schooler and his eventual posse's gonna die of dysentery or whatever.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wonder what's up with Chrome on the last page?

EDIT : I just realized something.

Someone with artistic skills, try drawing what's under Suika's helmet. Be sure to put her eyes in the same place the holes are in the melon!

khy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 31, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She's like a DaS Basilisk, there's actually much smaller eyeholes you just can't see unless you look veeeeery carefully.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
She is the melon, the child is her host.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
those arent eyeholes, theyre just drawn on. she navigates by echolocation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the final chapter will be in a seinen mag because it'll just be senku firing an orbital laser