Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
That hole was made for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

El Burbo posted:

Their whole society is a weird cult based on a hole. They already send these orphans hundreds of meters down, of course they think it's good and cool that this is happening

Then they wouldn't have that weird whistle-based system of depth permissions. I'm not surprised they're telling her to do it, I'm just surprised they're not telling her to do it later.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's really only the two people supporting her decision while the societal rules would have anybody else stop her. They​ both have enough of an understanding of Riko to know she's determined to a level beyond what they could deter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the abyss has an inexplicable power to compel those who live around it to throw their lives in exchange for petty baubles

the pit is capitalism

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Phobophilia posted:

petty baubles
Reg and his balls disagree

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The series is kinda slow in places, so don't expect it to be jam-packed action all the time. Don't expect Riko and Reg's descent's pace to keep up either.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think it's just going to be a product of the storytelling. the manga has many pages of: riko stews up some disgusting looking concoction from the remains of the denizens of the abyss, the hungry travellers look on with trepidation: it tastes great! you can knock that out in a few pages, while it takes up minutes in motion

this is a story that's going to be deliberately paced in the adaptation, it cannot be rushed to fit in every plot beat from the manga

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sindai posted:

Reg and his balls disagree

the squishy ball artifacts he found were literally boobie toys

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Phobophilia posted:

the manga has many pages of: riko stews up some disgusting looking concoction from the remains of the denizens of the abyss, the hungry travellers look on with trepidation: it tastes great! you can knock that out in a few pages, while it takes up minutes in motion

Honestly I'll be fine with the show continuing to channel Dungeon Meshi

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The adults in this setting are *amazingly* irresponsible.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fangz posted:

I love it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

Just like in real life.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Their whole society is a weird cult based on a hole. They already send these orphans hundreds of meters down, of course they think it's good and cool that this is happening

That's because their whole economy is based on pulling up poo poo from the hole and making sure they're the only one that does. It's like coal, ore or gem mining.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
On the bright side, all the kids we've seen so far look super hyped to fling themselves into the death pit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
their indoctrination system is very effective

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I don't think you have to really try all that hard to get kids to dig holes in the ground in search of treasure.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Extremely. For instance: I want to go, to the pit.

...with extensive preparation, a large team, and an elephant gun or two.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
On the bright side, I bet the kids sleep well at night knowing they only have to avoid giant spiders and carnivorous flying monsters during the day!

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

MachuPikacchu posted:

Without going into too much detail, it very much isn't. Or at least, altitude/pressure sickness is the tip of the iceberg..

ive only just watched episode 2 but you retards realize this basically is spoiling stuff, your giving away aspects of the world building that purposefully havent been introduced yet.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Surprisingly Dope posted:

ive only just watched episode 2 but you retards realize this basically is spoiling stuff, your giving away aspects of the world building that purposefully havent been introduced yet.

It tells you right after the opening of the second episode.

Or does loss of humanity sound like decompression sickness to you?

-e-
The symptoms also set in at trivial depths. People don't start puking just by changing elevation a few hundred meters.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 2, 2017

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Lurking Haro posted:

-e-
The symptoms also set in at trivial depths. People don't start puking just by changing elevation a few hundred meters.

I believe he meant the people revealing that the show is gonna get disturbing/horrifying. The sickness reveal tells you that something supernatural is going on in the hole, and is presented in lighthearted little graphics. I likewise had no idea what the show was about and am a bit disappointed people have revealed the tone twist, even though they've stayed away from revealing content.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
If that's what he meant then he worded it extremely poorly

That said, :agreed:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Yak of Wrath posted:

I believe he meant the people revealing that the show is gonna get disturbing/horrifying. The sickness reveal tells you that something supernatural is going on in the hole, and is presented in lighthearted little graphics. I likewise had no idea what the show was about and am a bit disappointed people have revealed the tone twist, even though they've stayed away from revealing content.

Revealed the tone twist? The very first episode has characters narrowly escape being eaten alive and finding ancient corpses buried while in prayer. At what point does the tone actually change any?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

There Bias Two posted:

Revealed the tone twist? The very first episode has characters narrowly escape being eaten alive and finding ancient corpses buried while in prayer. At what point does the tone actually change any?

I'm not talking about adventure/shounen style danger, but those who've been hinting at some yet to come horror twist. But I should just drop this before starting a pointless argument on the tone of the show and just enjoy it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Yak of Wrath posted:

I'm not talking about adventure/shounen style danger, but those who've been hinting at some yet to come horror twist. But I should just drop this before starting a pointless argument on the tone of the show and just enjoy it.

That is horror as far as I'm concerned. The tone of those examples was not light-hearted or whimsical.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yak of Wrath posted:

fwiw, the light-hearted graphics are depicting a spelunker vomiting, bleeding from all orifices, and then dying as he mutates into some stone creature. it's just the show trading on the already established juxtaposition of cute designs with dark elements of the world. it's also the first moment i'd say falls firmly into traditional horror. though i do feel like the visual of the anti-sickness box quickly follows up on this by having a baby riko wreathed in some ungodly thing made of muscle and stone.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Made in Abyss is published in a seinen magazine and its content isn't like Madoka's. It's not really a "twist" and honestly not mentioning that it gets a bit hosed up later is incredibly dishonest.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Made in Abyss is published in a seinen magazine

Manga Time Kirara is a seinen magazine as well though.

That said, I agree that warning people about disturbing elements is better than tricking people into watching a cute looking show they'll have to drop half way through because it's very much not what they wanted to see.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol come i came for a characters-dealing-with-adversity show its fine yall baby bitches

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Lurking Haro posted:

-e-

its more just the constant wink wink "this is the tip of the iceberg thing," you dont really need to say that, you didnt have anyone doing that when you were reading the manga i bet! its kinda like in the jojo thread manga readers hyped up the italian food episode to a ridiculous extent leading to people being disappointed, even if your not giving actual details your still effecting how people are going to experience it by giving whatever expectations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's more people getting into hysterics about vague hints than there are people dropping vague hints

if you get mad about spoilers you should take a break from fiction in general

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

there's more people getting into hysterics about vague hints than there are people dropping vague hints

if you get mad about spoilers you should take a break from fiction in general

nice victim blaming. you manga readers make me sick to my stomach.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol

anyway it's definitely true that those hints are hella annoying and i wanted as few in the thread as possible. i also think the idea of a tone spoiler is ridiculous. revealing the presence of darker elements as a service to potential viewers (when done properly) is perfectly fine.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, gently caress video game ratings too. Why they gotta tell me there gunna violence and sexual themes? Might as well spoil the whole plot.

At this point I'm expecting the girl's head to explode into vicera for shock value, and the robot just continues on without her. Maybe he starts eating the hearts of his enemies to gain their power.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spoiler warning, this is actually the Duke Nukem anime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There is a cool new place for spoilers now:
Made in Abyss manga thread

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I approve of the manga thread. That should have been started a while ago, and I thought about doing it, but felt like there was some sort of unstated reason why one hadn't been made. Glad to see it's there.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

New episode is out, again covering two chapters. Next episode should cover more ground.
They also covered that exposition quite well.

I really liked that anime-original grapple ropeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Really good episode, some of that grimness that everyone was talking about showed up.

• Locked thread