Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/midnight/status/889649208315174912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

You try standing in the middle of a ball of lightning in a thin layer of spandex and see how you like it.

http://i.imgur.com/EFj6oap.gifv

IIRC from some earlier promo shots of how he'll look in Justice League and some rumors it was surmised that he will have more than one outfit in the movie as they work out what materials he can wear that won't like instantly ignite when he moves super fast but also be slightly protective. The other was that he needs to wear some extra protective stuff while time travelling and the time travelling only lets him pop up for a few seconds like we see in BvS so that his abilities won't break the movie. Like a way to sort of take some of his abilities out of the picture like Quicksilver in Days of Future Past but without having to actually lose the character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/vaoaoga/status/889686574840946688

Mr. Apollo posted:

Isn't that how he appears in the comics, with his black suit, after he returns from the dead?

He only came back with a mullet

However, Superbro did sport a sweet beard for a while

And later on, when they brought back the Post Crisis Superman, they gave him a beard to differentiate him from Superbro

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC from some earlier promo shots of how he'll look in Justice League and some rumors it was surmised that he will have more than one outfit in the movie as they work out what materials he can wear that won't like instantly ignite when he moves super fast but also be slightly protective. The other was that he needs to wear some extra protective stuff while time travelling and the time travelling only lets him pop up for a few seconds like we see in BvS so that his abilities won't break the movie. Like a way to sort of take some of his abilities out of the picture like Quicksilver in Days of Future Past but without having to actually lose the character.

Yeah, the DC movies have been thoughtful about building a coherent Justice League. Superman has quick reflexes and is getting faster, but can't do tricks where he stops time and does whatever he wants. The Flash is closer to being that fast, but shoots lightning everywhere and wrecks his surroundings. Wonder Woman is tough, but not bulletproof. Aquaman and Cyborg we haven't seen much of, but they don't exactly need to have their powers kept in check.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SleepCousinDeath posted:

this shot is really weirding me out for some reason

like he doesn't even look like himself

and I just noticed he's holding a cup

Yeah, that's a better way of putting it.
I wonder if it's supposed to be a flash back? He doesn't seem to have any grey hair and his skin is super smooth like he got a ton of Botox injections.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

They were shooting stuff for Return of the King literally three weeks before the movie hit theaters and it won Best Picture for 2004. :laffo:

LOL comparing this mess to Peter Jackson's Return of the King

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The LOTR movies are bad, so yeah, lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

:wrong:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Return of the King is definitely the kind of movie that is amazing in a packed theater on opening night but then you watch it again a couple of years later and

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It's not as amazing as Logan I'll give you that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This trailer has me pretty worried. It feels like it's gonna be one of those superhero movies where 90% of the runtime is "getting the gang together", all culminating in an unsatisfying showdown with a shoddy CGI monstrosity.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope it introduces the League with a multi-song montage + title cards.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That single title card in BvS was awesome and I wish they kept it up throughout the movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

They were shooting stuff for Return of the King literally three weeks before the movie hit theaters and it won Best Picture for 2004. :laffo:
I'm thinking more like 2015's Fantastic Four. :(

I'm pretty oblivious and thick to most symbolism in movies but I'm assuming this

and this

aren't coincidental.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
BvS was basically an entry in a 'recreate as many classic paintings as possible' contest, so shouldn't be surprising.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

This trailer has me pretty worried. It feels like it's gonna be one of those superhero movies where 90% of the runtime is "getting the gang together", all culminating in an unsatisfying showdown with a shoddy CGI monstrosity.

The shoddy CGI monstrosity at least is probably a given considering Doomsday.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The logical end boss would be a resurrected brainwashed Superman.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hes the hardmode raid variant. DC is trying to differentiate itself from Marvel by requiring less people to raid while marvel is still in the 40 man or get the gently caress out model.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Inescapable Duck posted:

BvS was basically an entry in a 'recreate as many classic paintings as possible' contest, so shouldn't be surprising.
I never thought about it like that but yeah I can see that. Especially the shot of Bruce, Diana, and Lois after the death of Clark.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

I never thought about it like that but yeah I can see that. Especially the shot of Bruce, Diana, and Lois after the death of Clark.

someone post the scene of Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lois lane holding Supermans body at the end of BvS.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

someone post the scene of Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lois lane holding Supermans body at the end of BvS.
This? The crosses are a nice touch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Almost as dark as a Grand Manner painting.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

This? The crosses are a nice touch.

Yes, there's also a stunning scene where they Batman hands him down. The screencap you posted is a really dark frame, but there's better looking snaps right around that one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yes, there's also a stunning scene where they Batman hands him down. The screencap you posted is a really dark frame, but there's better looking snaps right around that one.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Hobbit movies are bad, so yeah, lol

Fix't

Violator
May 15, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

I thought the rumors were that this was actually correct, and that a major focus of the film was going to be an evil Superman who believed Lois was killed in the Doomsday fight and blamed Batman for it. Then, when the negative reviews for BvS came in, they altered the story to greatly reduce (or eliminate) the evil Superman bit. And that the reshoots include in part more scenes showing Superman returning and being hopeful. It's all probably made-up donkey talk, but who knows.

I'm guessing that Clark returns somewhere during the film but wants to live his life in peace with Lois? But realizes Superman is needed and that's him returning and talking to Alfred at the end? Who knows.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hate "Lois dies and Superman is now evil" stories.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

It's not as amazing as Logan I'll give you that

Logan is also bad. It's a very dull cinematic experience.

The LOTR movies lack real artistic vision outside of the sheer daring of their scope, so they end up being a superbly produced but bland sword and sorcery epics. It's not aided by the fact that Jackson doesn't even carry over the few strengths of Tolkien's passable novel (let's be honest, Lord of the Rings is no Gormenghast), and instead concedes to the format of a cinematic epic. John Boorman's Excalibur (to force a DCEU connection) is not only the superior Lord of the Rings movie, it's also probably the superior Lord of the Rings story in any medium.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 25, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

An evil Superman would have been dumb anyway. No need to justify Bruce's position in Batman v Superman because it was toxic and bad. If you're script makes people "maybe Bruce was right in Batman v Superman" then you hosed up. Also don't need more xenophobia in the world. It's why I dislike the whole Injustice storyline and all the praise those two games get, especially from people who criticized these films' depiction of Superman.

Because apparently him killing Zod was terrible but him murdering other villains and imposing totalitarian fascism is really awesome compelling stuff. What?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

If you're script makes people "maybe Bruce was right in Batman v Superman" then you hosed up.

I'd say that's a viewer error rather than a script error. Some folks have been flailing their arms about blaming Superman for the collateral damage during his fight with Zod, for God's sake. You can't fix that level of brokebrainness, only regularly remind people that believing such nonsense is implicitly ignorant and misguided. It's the core of BvS hate, after all: the most ignorant and misguided of them all realizes he was wrong, he failed Superman, and they didn't like it.

Expect a lot of angst from those people when they watch the movie and the in-universe people treat it as appropriately good, hopeful thing that Superman is back. I mean, they'll never admit it, but whatever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't know if you're aware of this but over in the Comic Book Thread we literally have a poster saying that killing 2/3rds of the world's population is "actually right if you think about it"

In other words you can't blame the movie for what people take from it. There's always a percentage that takes every satire straight, empathizes and sides with the bad guy no matter how monstrous he/she is, etc. etc. etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Has there been any suggestions for what Flash could have meant with his time travel warning if it wasn't about evil Superman?

quote:

Bruce! Listen to me right now! It’s Lois! Lois Lane! She’s the key! Am I too soon!? I'm too soon! You were right about him! You were always right about him! Fear him! Fear him and find us. You have to come find us, Bruce!

Obviously within BvS, fearing Superman makes sense. But it seems like an obvious creative choice to leave "Superman" or "Clark" out of his message when that would have made it a lot simpler for everyone. It doesn't seem like Steppenwolf would come to earth and be welcomed as a hero but actually be a villain, but is there anyone else that could be a turncoat related to Lois?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Superman being a hopeful figure for the story's universe but an ambivalent one for the audience causes a disconnect and prevents immersion, and is thus Good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Obviously within BvS, fearing Superman makes sense.

The whole point of BvS was that, no, it's not. There's not a fear-Superman character in that movie who isn't chastened by that viewpoint, in the end. Except the main villain, whose madness is best defined by the fact that he fears Superman.

Remember the Capitol building scene. Be the cute blonde in the Superman t-shirt. Don't be the pale Skrillex-looking dude with anti-Superman paraphernalia.

There is no difference between the fear-Superman mentality, both in and out of universe.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 25, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Violator posted:

Has there been any suggestions for what Flash could have meant with his time travel warning if it wasn't about evil Superman?

My guess is that Superman needs to be a symbol of hope for the would-be Justice League to rally around. The public can say what they will about the guy, but his example is what caused Bruce and Diana to believe in people again and get motivated to put the League together.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Jimbot posted:

An evil Superman would have been dumb anyway. No need to justify Bruce's position in Batman v Superman because it was toxic and bad. If you're script makes people "maybe Bruce was right in Batman v Superman" then you hosed up. Also don't need more xenophobia in the world. It's why I dislike the whole Injustice storyline and all the praise those two games get, especially from people who criticized these films' depiction of Superman.

Because apparently him killing Zod was terrible but him murdering other villains and imposing totalitarian fascism is really awesome compelling stuff. What?

Injustice explicitly presents Superman as the villain though. That's the whole point of it. Nobody's saying that they're compelling because they finally got Superman right...

quote:

don't know if you're aware of this but over in the Comic Book Thread we literally have a poster saying that killing 2/3rds of the world's population is "actually right if you think about it"

...Apart from that lunatic apparently.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

(let's be honest, Lord of the Rings is no Gormenghast)

You're full of surprises Lamps.

Violator
May 15, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

The whole point of BvS was that, no, it's not. There's not a fear-Superman character in that movie who isn't chastened by that viewpoint, in the end. Except the main villain, whose madness is best defined by the fact that he fears Superman.

Remember the Capitol building scene. Be the cute blonde in the Superman t-shirt. Don't be the pale Skrillex-looking dude with anti-Superman paraphernalia.

There is no difference between the fear-Superman mentality, both in and out of universe.

Ah, I meant from Batman's perspective at the time he saw the Flash. Batman already hates Superman so the Flash's message makes sense at that point to him, but could the Flash have been talking about someone else that would be readily apparent without Batman's feelings about Superman clouding his perspective?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Injustice explicitly presents Superman as the villain though. That's the whole point of it. Nobody's saying that they're compelling because they finally got Superman right...

I think compelling was the wrong choice of words. "Interesting" is probably better. I guess Superman only works in extremes for some people. Paragon of absolute pure goodness with no flaws or Absolute Evil Tyrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

could the Flash have been talking about someone else that would be readily apparent without Batman's feelings about Superman clouding his perspective?

I figured that was rather obvious and blatant. Dude is crazy and thus fears Superman, misreads a partial message that seems to justify his madness, will eventually learn Flash was talking about someone else.