Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So the equations on the board:

Actual things of gobbledygook? This looks like advanced physics or mathematics so that's past my understanding.

The ones here look a little more familiar. I think that's the equation for an ellipse on her chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I admit, when it was just Jinba Lemon, I heard it as Jinba Raimont and thought it was just weird pronunciation. I didn't know or really care what it meant, just thought it was interesting.

I can't imagine translating Hanamichi On Stage or Dai Dai Dai Dai Dai Shogun was fun.

It's funny you mention Hanamichi On Stage because that's one where I left it alone and probably the one thing I left unchanged that I got more questions about why I didn't alter it, since the translation uses "To the Stage". Which is funny because despite what I said about hearing one thing and reading another, this one just never bothered me.

Caphi posted:

Much of Gaim's terminology falls into this category because it's so Japanese (literally Japanese history) that you're trapped between leaving it in Japanese and leaving viewers with no idea what anything is, or putting the Wikipedia entry for jin-baori into a TL note. "Raiment" is a bad compromise intended to pass along some amount of meaning as unobtrusively as we could figure.

Yeah, and like you mentioned earlier with the whole Warring/Sengoku thing getting reignited later, when it's dealt with weekly, you have a small window to just pick what you think makes sense and hope it doesn't bite you later. I've seen people throw shade about the Warring/Sengoku thing or the Go-Buster Oh/King thing with Over-Time's Go-Busters subs. It's easy to look at it now and know just what the correct option is, but that luxury isn't there for the initial release unless you happen to have access to toy scans or something at just the right time for it to matter. So when Gaim combines that aspect with "just how much do we have to explain", it's no surprise that there's no one-size-fits-all approach to handling it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I think my favorite translation quirk was when OT translated the Go-Busters' 'Go-BusterOh' as 'Go-Buster King'...

...only for the series to later introduce a mecha called Go-Buster King, so they just called it Go-BusterOh. :v:

The naming scheme actually worked out better that way, IMO. It fit better with the origins of the mechs and the show's theming, but still. Translation is an imperfect art, and we are lucky to live in a golden age of toku fandom with so many great teams blessing us with their work.

Starting episode 25 of Ex-Aid. You guys weren't joking when you said that Kamen Rider Chronicle was literally Pokemon Go, huh?

EDIT: Nico is still super annoying. I can deal with annoying characters if they actually add something to the plot, but...ugh. She's done next to nothing since her introduction. She's easily my least favorite character in the whole thing.

On to episode 26.

SHIN EDIT: Of loving course there would be a Gashat based on a dating sim. :allears:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 6, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/majimagoro_/status/905078014626562050

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
So Build and Double crossover movie?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Episode 27: Nico getting a Gashat and becoming a Rider is pretty much the worst thing. :argh:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Counterpoint: It's the best thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Counter-counterpoint: I can't stand Nico so it's the worst.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How does it feel, being history's greatest monster?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Counter-counterpoint: I can't stand Nico so it's the worst.

We mortals cannot fix bad taste, but maybe our God, Shin Dan Kuroto, could create a Gashat that fixes it. Pray to the Game Master to fix your bad taste.

Also Ride-Players aren't really Kamen Riders.

Unconnected, goddamn do I love the Go-Busters mecha. I wish we had this level of complexity all the time instead of only in one specific season that ruined itself for Bandai due to being too good for marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUJ0VHcpdIg

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Caphi posted:

I didn't think Jinba was contentious. I feel like I wanted something like "Warcoat" or "Mantle" but there was nothing really wrong with "Raiment."

A dumb thought I had when I realized what Jinba was referring to was "Lemon Garnish" to get a silly-rear end "garment" pun forward with the fruits theme, but then again I don't think about these things as hard as y'all do and that's probably a good thing. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel like Gaim is ripe for a gag-sub full of terrible puns and renames.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ORANGE ARMS

ORANGE YOU GLAD I DIDN'T SAY BANANA?

BANANA ARMS

BANANA SLAMMA!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/tonamikanji/status/901837009790033920

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

How does it feel, being history's greatest monster?

I've been called worse. :v:

Blaze Dragon posted:

We mortals cannot fix bad taste, but maybe our God, Shin Dan Kuroto, could create a Gashat that fixes it. Pray to the Game Master to fix your bad taste.

Eh. She's just not doing anything for me. :shrug: In the twenty-seven episodes I've watched, she's done nothing save for yelling at Taiga to beat up Emu, and then following him around and just generally being annoying.

Episode 27 is an attempt at doing something with her and trying to make you feel something for her, but...it's just falling flat for me. She's had no character development up to this point and really she barely has a character, other than 'mad because Emu beat her at Tekken'. Maybe she gets better from here on out, but for now, she's coming across as an unneeded and generally annoying side character.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Ride-Players aren't really Kamen Riders.

Unconnected, goddamn do I love the Go-Busters mecha. I wish we had this level of complexity all the time instead of only in one specific season that ruined itself for Bandai due to being too good for marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUJ0VHcpdIg

Personally I feel the opposite and think that Go Busters has some of the worst mecha designs in the last decade or so of the franchise, at least in Toy Form(same with Shikenger and Gokaiger)

Indeed at least when it comes to the Toy versions of the mecha, of the last decade or so I'd say these are the top 5;

1) Boukenger*

2) Nininger**

3) ToQger

4) Kyuranger

5) Goseiger

*I'm kinda cheating by including Boukenger, but it ended in 2007 so good enough for me

**indeed for Shurikenjin there's only really two complaints I have with it's design; the Dog robot might as well not exist for how little it contributes to the robot, and how the arm that the dump truck contributes has nowhere to go on any of the alternate configurations Shurikenjin has besides Drago where it stays on(one of my biggest pet peeves regarding Sentai mecha design is when a combination results in parts having nowhere to go)

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

drrockso20 posted:

**indeed for Shurikenjin there's only really two complaints I have with it's design; the Dog robot might as well not exist for how little it contributes to the robot, and how the arm that the dump truck contributes has nowhere to go on any of the alternate configurations Shurikenjin has besides Drago where it stays on(one of my biggest pet peeves regarding Sentai mecha design is when a combination results in parts having nowhere to go)

The arm hangs awkwardly off the back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

no go on Quiznos posted:

Weird I've never noticed that before, never seen anyone do that on the Toy version either

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/krshitpost/status/904460406000947200

Seems Kamiya is into Ryuki. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So is Gen Urobochi

Though you can see that from how it's influenced his personal works, and you know, Gaim

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

I've been called worse. :v:

Eh. She's just not doing anything for me. :shrug: In the twenty-seven episodes I've watched, she's done nothing save for yelling at Taiga to beat up Emu, and then following him around and just generally being annoying.

Episode 27 is an attempt at doing something with her and trying to make you feel something for her, but...it's just falling flat for me. She's had no character development up to this point and really she barely has a character, other than 'mad because Emu beat her at Tekken'. Maybe she gets better from here on out, but for now, she's coming across as an unneeded and generally annoying side character.

I'm honestly in the same boat as you are. Especially when I was at the same point in the series. Nico exists purely as a character for Taiga to bounce off of/care about because he lives over at the unlicensed hospital and doesn't regularly do the same with the other characters until near the end of the series (and even then it's mostly on a screen). She largely exists for the benefit of Taiga.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

no go on Quiznos posted:

can you find a more perfect metaphor for Ninninger then 'the dog mech does nothing for the robot and the dumptruck is awkwardly hanging around waiting to do something'

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/905455946926784512

I don't think I need to explain

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fun fact, but the game we call Destiny 2 in the west is actually called Eternia in Japan.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Basically how Gaim was pitched to us.

Schwarzwald posted:

Fun fact, but the game we call Destiny 2 in the west is actually called Eternia in Japan.

:yeah:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If this had happened in Gaim, I would love that show more than anything else in the world

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, there weren't really dance-offs in gaim, were there?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, there weren't really dance-offs in gaim, were there?

Not in Rider Form, anyway. And actually now that I think about it there really weren't dance battles, huh? Rival dance squad would show up and have a pokemon battle with Lockseeds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember that was one of my biggest complaints at the time when that was still part of the show

I'm something of a dance fan, I have a working knowledge of ballet and some more modern dance trends

You could have some loving amazing dance fights. And NO genre is better for it than tokusatsu

Might be for the best. Of the dance troupes we saw, I think maybe one of them could dance? The rest were all slow and stiff and awkward as gently caress even with the most basic of motions.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this talk of Gaim just reminds us that they wanted us to believe Kouta was from a down on their luck family struggling to make ends meat, and yet, they chose to dress Kouta in all kinds of designer clothes.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
IIRC Kaito's actor is like, literally a professional dancer or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

IIRC Kaito's actor is like, literally a professional dancer or something?

There's only so much one person can do when they're the only one who knows what they're doing

And more over, bad direction can kill even a good performer.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

this talk of Gaim just reminds us that they wanted us to believe Kouta was from a down on their luck family struggling to make ends meat, and yet, they chose to dress Kouta in all kinds of designer clothes.

Still less weird than all the unique clothes Eiji in OOO has despite being literally homeless at the beginning of the series and working part-time for a restaurant after that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just as a reminder since I brought Nexus' theme up

Kuuga has a really loving good theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHidMoqE1w

Weeping voices are calling for you, Kuuga!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

We already had a perfect dance battle in W so there was really no point in trying to top it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

gourdcaptain posted:

Still less weird than all the unique clothes Eiji in OOO has despite being literally homeless at the beginning of the series and working part-time for a restaurant after that.

for Eiji you could come up with the idea that he bought that stuff before he went on the road or traded for it in his travels. With Kouta it's just inexplicable and weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the whole dancing thing is one of many instances of Urobuchi struggling to reconcile his style and ambition with the realities of a mainline Kamen Rider series, a compromise to have a gang aspect that he could segue into the Rider War without actually implying anything about gang violence.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If he could have only known that Kamen Rider Amazons was going to offer a valid older audience alternative to Kamen Rider

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Urobuchi would have absolutely been more comfortable in an Amazons situation. A shorter series aimed for an older audience that's not primarily driven by toy sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Urobuchi would have absolutely been more comfortable in an Amazons situation. A shorter series aimed for an older audience that's not primarily driven by toy sales.

Yeah, he did not roll gracefully with the toy punches. You've got writers that can do it especially gracefully (Kobayashi comes particularly to mind, OOO manages to make the Candroids work), there are writers who are outright disdainful (the bit in Faiz with Takumi recieving Accel by literally having it chucked at his head, bouncing off, and going "clink" on the ground is a favorite of mine) but Urobochi just seemed generally uncomfortable and awkward with it. Gaim is weirdly a show I get less fond of as time goes on because it was easy to get caught up in at the time but its rough parts keep becoming more apparent as time goes on, Yoko dying is still the worst, Kouta's pretty bland IMHO, and there's just all sorts of wasted potential or dubious bits.