Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Imagine decades down the road having to explain to someone that yes, in 2018 the head of state of one of the most powerful nations in the world made a public statement about how his dick was so big and he could use it to end the world if he wanted to.

e:

My doggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah, it would probably need a constitutional amendment. I think if we make it to a post Trump political universe such an amendment may become a possibility.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The only way you could actually do anything to save this country is through the de jure death of the GOP, because there is no way in the world they will ever stop getting worse, much less fade away in any democratic fashion.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, it would probably need a constitutional amendment. I think if we make it to a post Trump political universe such an amendment may become a possibility.

This seems like a great political environment to have a constitutional convention in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If we could get a constitutional amendment to that effect, we wouldn’t need one, because Congress would have the will to impeach a corrupt executive.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Petr posted:

This seems like a great political environment to have a constitutional convention in.

You could probably do it with a democratic president.

To cut your dumb post off at the pass, that would be in 2021.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Petr posted:

I mean, if the blue wave fails and the Republicans finally get their 3/4s state legislatures, it absolutely will.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

If we could get a constitutional amendment to that effect, we wouldn’t need one, because Congress would have the will to impeach a corrupt executive.

Wouldn't need it then but might need it later etc. We have to start thinking about future needs not just crisis to crisis musical chairs.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

dunno I could see it happening if he is actually factually incapable of even rubber-stamping executive orders

also, strictly speaking, they don't need Congress

They do need congress. If Trump sends a letter to congress saying "Fake News! I am totally capable of being president! gently caress Pence, MAGA!!!", then Congress has to vote in favor of Pence and the cabinet by some kind of supermajority or Trump gets his powers back.

edit: 2/3 majority of both houses

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 3, 2018

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

axeil posted:

https://www.verywell.com/the-clock-drawing-test-98619

quote:

These researchers concluded that these six errors were predictive in identifying dementia based on the clock-drawing test. Notice that simply refusing to complete the test can be indicative of a problem.

please add to the op for the inevitable 8 million questions we'll get this year

Refusal being grounds for dementia is such bullshit. Back when she was alive (and 102 goddamn years old) grandmother would respond to psychologists saying, "HOW ARE YOU TODAY, MRS PORTER?" by snubbing the hell out of them. And then mom would have to cross the commonwealth and go demonstrate that grandmother could have a perfectly normal conversation with anyone she didn't hold in seething contempt.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mystic Mongol posted:

quote:

Refusal being grounds for dementia is such bullshit. Back when she was alive (and 102 goddamn years old) grandmother would respond to psychologists saying, "HOW ARE YOU TODAY, MRS PORTER?" by snubbing the hell out of them. And then mom would have to cross the commonwealth and go demonstrate that grandmother could have a perfectly normal conversation with anyone she didn't hold in seething contempt.

Yeah that sounds vaguely kafkaesque nightmarish

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

You could probably do it with a democratic president.

To cut your dumb post off at the pass, that would be in 2021.

Wait, are you sure? I'm pretty sure you made a math error or something here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mystic Mongol posted:

[/quote]

There's a definite bullshit element -- of course people in a nursing home don't know what day of the week it is, it doesn't matter -- but none of that stuff is supposed to be the only deciding factor in the test -- they're screening questions to tell you "ok, either this person is severely addled OR taking the piss, so we need to do a more detailed examination." Same with the clock thing -- it's not decisive by itself, maybe the person's just blind, but if they screw it up time to take a closer look.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I didn't realize the clock thing wasn't just a TV (Hannibal) thing and learned something.

Thanks Trump Thread! :eng101:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Where can I buy one of these?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

stolen gifts for the new thread

https://i.imgur.com/tqZm14R.mp4

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

axeil posted:

The clinician (often a doctor, psychologist, or social worker) gives the person being tested a piece of paper with a pre-drawn circle on it and asks him to draw the numbers on the clock.

if the left "circle" was pre-drawn by a doctor then the doctor might very well have Alzheimer's. That patient didn't stand a chance when trying to drawn a clock on a pear.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
La fille complice

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Katt posted:

if the left "circle" was pre-drawn by a doctor then the doctor might very well have Alzheimer's. That patient didn't stand a chance when trying to drawn a clock on a pear.

Cmon. Anyone in their right mind draws 12-3-6-9 at the cardinal points first, then fills in the other numbers to make an evenly spaced clock, even on a pear.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Doctor: draw a clock

Me:

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Blitz7x posted:

John Titor turns 20 this year, just in time to lead the resistance after Washington falls

what a loving failure of a time traveler this dipshit was/is/will be

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
"The man make a tweet" was a perfect and constantly relevant thread title and I hope it returns at some point.

Every single day the man make a tweet.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Glad to see we aren't dead or in the throes of economic collapse yet. But we still have time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kavros posted:

Glad to see we aren't dead or in the throes of economic collapse yet. But we still have time.

We are less than a quarter in and the insurance mandate and dreamers are hosed. The stock market is resembling Bitcoin in that prices are bloating as corporations buy back as much stock as possible to reap huge dividends next year off tax cuts alone, not increased productivity that actually generates jobs. Carrier and others are getting subsidies to offshore more work, and Republicans aren't holding them accountable. The nuclear taboo is being toed, with open threats now normalized.

Dude, we can't sustain this rate of loss, looting, and human tragedy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Henry Crustwheel posted:

what a loving failure of a time traveler this dipshit was/is/will be

Yeah. Apparently he was on the rural side of a rural/urban civil war and consider Russia to be their ally in the nuclear exchange for blowing up all the cities. Russian then becomes Neohick USA's largest trading partner...

...I don't know like where this is going.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah. Apparently he was on the rural side of a rural/urban civil war and consider Russia to be their ally in the nuclear exchange for blowing up all the cities. Russian then becomes Neohick USA's largest trading partner...

...I don't know like where this is going.

There's the plot twist: Titor was a villain all along trying to keep their hell timeline on track.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Trump is absolutely so sociopathic and narcissistic that he would want to be the one known forever as destroying the world and civilization in a nuclear fire.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I would bet a lot of money that he has joked about that at least once with the most uncomfortable staffer in history.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Saladin Rising posted:

New thread, insanity still reigns:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948355557022420992
Seriously I can't loving believe this is a real tweet.

This is the first time I saw a tweet I thought for sure was a parody that ended up being real.

Good loving god.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/brendannyhan/status/948197152349704192

Though some warnings about online “echo chambers” have been hyperbolic, tendencies toward selective exposure to politically congenial content are likely to extend to misinformation and to be exacerbated by social media platforms. We test this prediction using data on the factually dubious articles known as “fake news.” Using unique data combining survey responses with individual-level web tra c histories, we estimate that approximately 1 in 4 Americans visited a fake news website from October 7-November 14, 2016. Trump supporters visited the most fake news websites, which were overwhelmingly pro-Trump. However, fake news consumption was heavily concentrated among a small group — almost 6 in 10 visits to fake news websites came from the 10% of people with the most conservative online information diets. We also find that Facebook was a key vector of exposure to fake news and that fact-checks of fake news almost never reached its consumers.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
what you're saying is that every conservative needs to die, as they are a pestilence without rhyme or reason

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
We live in a Verhoeven movie and it rules.

Until it doesn't, but whatever.

Kiss me quick before I wake up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aves Maria! posted:

what you're saying is that every conservative needs to die, as they are a pestilence without rhyme or reason

I've been saying that about boomers for years.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Another year, another set of insane Trump tweets. I wonder why???

Oh anyways, this op ed is real fuckin good
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/opinion/republicans-investigation-fusion-gps.html

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My only hope is that when Trump does try "pushing the button", his staff just loads up a modded version of the Fallout 4 opening where everyone looks Korean.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

the_steve posted:

My only hope is that when Trump does try "pushing the button", his staff just loads up a modded version of the Fallout 4 opening where everyone looks Korean.

The button just causes his chair to fall down a trapdoor that deposits him in the White House garbage containers. Amongst the many discarded boxes of filet-o-fish his administration has created.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How does implementing something like that work? Is a majority required in Congress? The Senate? What sort of numbers would be required to force this through?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moreau posted:

How does implementing something like that work? Is a majority required in Congress? The Senate? What sort of numbers would be required to force this through?

Two‐thirds of both houses of Congress.

Three‐quarters of the state legislatures.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Platystemon posted:

Two‐thirds of both houses of Congress.

Three‐quarters of the state legislatures.

Friendly reminder that at this moment we're closer to an ultra-regressive freedom-killing Constitutional Convention than a liberal paradise-producing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Saladin Rising posted:

New thread, insanity still reigns:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948355557022420992
Seriously I can't loving believe this is a real tweet.

He must have seen this and felt the need to set the record straight.

• Locked thread