Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

an eerily accurate outcome of 3 people sleeping in sleeping bags next to each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This show is stupid adorable and pretty.

Glad the OP agrees that Hinata is far and away the best girl.

Has anyone else been checking out the fake Instagram post details? I think the second(?) ep was Hinata's, but her ID was hi720ta. Anyone better at Japanese care to take a guess as to what that means? I know 7 is 'na', but 720?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh its the sequel

https://twitter.com/badass_w/status/956968577676070913?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

:iceburn::owned:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Not an empty quote.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

:perfect::vince::drat:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"What no, we're not best friends from childhood, we've barely even known one another for a month, but this shared interest and goal is enough".

This show is good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

derp

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 29, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Poil posted:

I've just started watching this and it's good, except for that annoying narration. It could easily have been done by the characters themselves instead and it would've been much better. Grumblegrumble.

They make camping seem fun. :)

Wait, are you talking about the Other Best Show Yurucamp, or this one?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I don't remember there being any narration in this show about girls going to Antarctica? Am I experiencing dementia?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait, are you talking about the Other Best Show Yurucamp, or this one?
Ah, wrong thread sorry. Don't sleep deprive and post. :downs:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Poil posted:

Ah, wrong thread sorry. Don't sleep deprive and post. :downs:
watch this show too

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

watch this show too
I'm definitely going to, it seems to be pretty good. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 30, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yay, they're on their way! :3:

Onean posted:

I don't want Mari to lose a friend, but it seems to be the way things are heading.
I'm glad this isn't happening, even with the rotten things Megumi did. I hope she feels better.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Oh, this show! My poor heartses!!!

I'm kinda miffed that they're leaving so soon, even though that's the show, I guess. I just want this to last forever.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
We've got the trip, and Antarctica itself. I would have started to get a little impatient if they weren't under way within another episode or two myself, but that's just me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shirase status: still hilarious mess when she's not spiting her classmates.
Hinata status: No longer the only responsible one (there's also Mari's younger sister.)

Show status: we're on the move!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So the show's basically settled into doing its best impression of a KyoAni character drama ala Eupho or Hyouka - and it's a drat good impression, as it turns out. Episode was ridiculously good. This show's gonna sew up a spot on my AOTY list before we're halfway through February at this rate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the way this show handles dialogue and framing is much, much different from a Eupho or Hyouka - those shows are interested in dialogue as like, a deep window into important truths. Literally every word in Hyouka is super loaded with double meanings inherent to each character. This show's much more interested in dialogue as a window into the characters via literally just the dialogue, the meanings are fairly straightforward and it's how the characters interact and engage with one another that defines them as characters, not some universality to their words. Eupho and Hyouka are all long framing shots and twenty second gaps between words, this show's all energy and banter and quick cuts. They're doing very different things, calling it an 'impression' does a disservice to both of those kinds of things.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fair enough. I guess it's more just appealing to me in a similar sort of way, maybe? I dig both sorts of shows mostly because the casts are well-realized and charismatic and because they do a good job of expressing moods and sensations I can remember from my own teenage years - I'd say it's fair to say they're both very successful in that regard even if they take different routes to get there wrt cinematography and specific dialogue style.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 30, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think the way this show handles dialogue and framing is much, much different from a Eupho or Hyouka - those shows are interested in dialogue as like, a deep window into important truths. Literally every word in Hyouka is super loaded with double meanings inherent to each character. This show's much more interested in dialogue as a window into the characters via literally just the dialogue, the meanings are fairly straightforward and it's how the characters interact and engage with one another that defines them as characters, not some universality to their words. Eupho and Hyouka are all long framing shots and twenty second gaps between words, this show's all energy and banter and quick cuts. They're doing very different things, calling it an 'impression' does a disservice to both of those kinds of things.

Mind you, both Euph and Hyouka are adaptations, so I’m not sure how much of that is the KyoAni house style and how much is those two having styles of writing and dialogue that naturally lend themselves to that sort of cinematography.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, both Euph and Hyouka are adaptations, so I’m not sure how much of that is the KyoAni house style and how much is those two having styles of writing and dialogue that naturally lend themselves to that sort of cinematography.
both hyouka and eupho do a lot to change the material and its really consistent across almost all of yamada's work, even k-on, which is based on a 4koma gag manga, uses a lot of those kinds of shots when it tries to be dramatic. hyouka wasnt a yamada joint and thus it uses Feet Shots less but the dialogue is even more insistent on being super important. see the director's work on haruhi.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This show is so much better than I expected it to be going in, it's fantastic.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Crunchyroll translated a nifty article that was put up on the Japanese website for the show, an interview with a COO of the Shirase.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

100 meters a day! It was really slow.

I watched the toddling Adélie penguins many times, who were quietly passing the side of "Shirase" when she desperately ran with rammings (laugh). Though it was a cute and healing sight, it made me feel a little complicated.

I want to see a video of penguins out pacing the icebreaker so badly.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Megumi may have done some bad things but at least she didn't fail to return a console for years so morally she was in the right

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Megumi a gently caress and should be fed to some seals.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Megumi did nothing wrong

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Insurrectionist posted:

Megumi may have done some bad things but at least she didn't fail to return a console for years so morally she was in the right

This. That's hosed up. You don't gently caress with someone's PlayStation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say that I liked how clearly childish and desperate Megumi's big plan was by the end.

"Hey, Mari, I know you've got a huge life event coming up and you're really excited and all, but, uhhhhhh...oh! Somebody's been talking mad poo poo about you! You'd better cancel everything so you can...uh....shut them up...by....doing...something."

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Probably would have worked on Shirase.

Not even realizing she forgot to go to Antarctica until like a week later.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Explosions posted:

Probably would have worked on Shirase.

Not even realizing she forgot to go to Antarctica until like a week later.

Captain Hot Mess.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Crain posted:

Captain Hot Mess.

That's FORMER Captain Hot Mess. Could not be trusted with the any responsibility.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Finally got around to making some webms of the first 4 episodes.

https://comfy.moe/mkyvcp.webm

https://comfy.moe/xmehjp.webm

https://comfy.moe/jorwvu.webm

https://comfy.moe/riejrd.webm

https://comfy.moe/jwdrfx.webm

https://comfy.moe/fceede.webm

https://comfy.moe/gjqbsr.webm

https://comfy.moe/pdmjmd.webm

I hadn't noticed until making these that when Yuzuki mentions how cold weather would make her nose runny that Shirase rubs hers like she hadn't even considered that till just then. Also, Shirase is the best and I can't wait for all of them to finally see some penguins. Also, is there some way to make embedded webms in to thumbnails, because them breaking the page width on my laptop is a bit annoying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Minor thing, but I really appreciated the gag with weight because Mari actually weighs a reasonable amount. Her scale reports her at something like 68 kgs/149 lbs. she's even a bit on the heavier side. in a world where even chubby characters have official weights of like 110 lbs it's nice.

otoh it isn't really reflected in her character model but hey, she is at least a bit wider than shirase

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

Minor thing, but I really appreciated the gag with weight because Mari actually weighs a reasonable amount. Her scale reports her at something like 68 kgs/149 lbs. she's even a bit on the heavier side. in a world where even chubby characters have official weights of like 110 lbs it's nice.

otoh it isn't really reflected in her character model but hey, she is at least a bit wider than shirase

I'm pretty sure that's the weight of the stack of boxes and not Mari. (You can see the edge of the cardboard on the scale)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I assumed he was talking about the scene where Shirase and Minata refuse to believe Tamaki's own estimation of her weight.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The scale there is clearly at 69 kg, so presumably that's where Endorph got the weight from. I also thought that was her, not the boxes, but looking again, yeah, it's the boxes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

tsob posted:

Also, is there some way to make embedded webms in to thumbnails, because them breaking the page width on my laptop is a bit annoying.

Sadly no. You have to adjust the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think 69kg is quite heavy for a tiny Japanese girl.