Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of manga series only get picked up for official licenses because of the interest generated by scanlations of the series, you realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Captain Invictus posted:

Irc? What are you, a loving old?

I knew I should have keep that gopher site in reserve for just such a day as this. Ah, the mistakes of youth.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

the whining about corporations is unneeded when they have very little to do with batoto shutting down

Yea it sounded like it was a stressful hobby that was only gonna become more of a problem if the place kept running. I can't blame 'em for getting out.

DisDisDis posted:

I think the immense popularity of some mangas' scanlations was probably a big factor in them later getting localized. It's also only recently that any of the actually readable homo stuff (with a few notable exceptions) is getting localized.

I've heard interviews that suggest some of the English manga publishers definitely keep an eye open on that popularity. They usually don't outright say it but they have implied it's helpful as a boost to the more niche releases in particular.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I meant it as "we're helpless to stop the continuing closing of the scanlation sites and I fear there will one day be no free manga option."

ah

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I meant it as "we're helpless to stop the continuing closing of the scanlation sites and I fear there will one day be no free manga option."

this one just got closed because the guy got tired of doing it. there will always be free manga options even if that option is a guy on 4chan posting the untranslated pages and then posting a text translation

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Speaking of digital manga sites, anybody else remember when MangaBox was semi-good? Free, official chapters on a regular basis, with a mobile app. But it blocked old chapters entirely (you couldn't even pay for them if you wanted to :psyduck:), and started randomly dropping series with no warning.

Wonder if it would have gotten to be a big name if it was run better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Anime Scanlators are ftw but all will eventually be pushed out by corporations, and left with nothing to show for their work. A terrible fate.

Some official subbers used to do fansubs, same for game localizers and fan tls, so I assume the experience at least helps if it's not strictly a hobby.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Davincie posted:

the whining about corporations is unneeded when they have very little to do with batoto shutting down

corporate shilling ftw

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Speaking of digital manga sites, anybody else remember when MangaBox was semi-good? Free, official chapters on a regular basis, with a mobile app. But it blocked old chapters entirely (you couldn't even pay for them if you wanted to :psyduck:), and started randomly dropping series with no warning.

Wonder if it would have gotten to be a big name if it was run better.

In Japanese the app still has a decent number of series so it's possible they just couldn't get people to translate in a timely manner/at all (at a guess they weren't paid a great deal since the app is free and doesn't even have ads), but yeah, it's unfortunate that the English version is nearly dead and I doubt they'll be adding anything new after the few existing series finish, if they get that far.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

A lot of manga series only get picked up for official licenses because of the interest generated by scanlations of the series, you realize.

This

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

Captain Invictus posted:

Irc? What are you, a loving old?

Yep. Getting older every day.

Did you know I still watch anime with my friend in California where we sync up our video files and comment to each other over IRC?

I AM OLD GET OFF MY LAWN.

True story, Seven Seas gets a lot of their licenses from browsing 4chan. No seriously, their lead editor said so himself at AX.

Seven Seas are also stand up dudes, so support them. They actually understand how scanlation helps the industry and don't get on my rear end about it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tarage posted:

True story, Seven Seas gets a lot of their licenses from browsing 4chan. No seriously, their lead editor said so himself at AX.

This explains their current collection pretty well actually

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^^I believe this. I've no doubt titles like "My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness" wouldn't have gotten picked up if not for fan interest (due to a fan translation existing), and while it kinda fits into the idea of "monster girl's are the new hotness, let's license monster girl series left and right", jitsu wa probably got more consideration over other titles because of interest generated by the fan translations you guys worked hard on.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jackard posted:

Except now it no longer links to their websites! Enjoy~

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=44023
they still list the group names by chapter release so it's a matter of doing an additional step of searching

anything that makes manga/anime less available to the masses/lazy is a good thing imho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i rate that post a 1

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Let me know when one of you fixes it, thanks.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

just double or triple up on your ad condoms if you're using kissmanga

How are none of you using Manga Rock app? No need to suffer through lovely ads.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
RIP Batoto, son of Nartoto.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Well that's a drat shame. I've used the site for a few years now and it's probably the least troublesome way to follow manga out there, and I've found a lot of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise read or small/weird mangas through the new releases on the front page. (and also a lot of terrible garbage)

Is there any site out there that lets you export your followed stuff? If not I'm just gonna copy everything to a text file and make a note of what chapters I'm on. (That's a feature I'd really like for any follow-on site, a function to place a bookmark for your last-read chapter on a series.)

Mordaedil posted:

I'm not downloading your goddamn app.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Not really my app, I'm genuinely curious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why does anyone use irc when discord is a thing

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I lose sleep over this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Why would I use a tablet or phone to read manga when I have a nice computer monitor

Jose posted:

Genuinely good question

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

El Burbo posted:

People just liked the “all pages in one” thing. That’s it.

I never really cared for that, clicking for a new page is much closer to the page turning experience anyway. Pages ain’t meant for ya to scroll onto em :colbert:

The only time I like that is for action sequences I click through rapidly. I don't see the appeal otherwise.

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Does the free version still show you ads while reading, that also cause the app to crash, freeze, etc? Or ask for all the permissions when installing?

Just use Tachiyomi instead of that shady garbage.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Why would I use a tablet or phone to read manga when I have a nice computer monitor

I read on the throne or in bed basically. But otherwise yeah, sure.

Sarpsa posted:

Does the free version still show you ads while reading, that also cause the app to crash, freeze, etc? Or ask for all the permissions when installing?

Just use Tachiyomi instead of that shady garbage.
I dunno, it was recommended to me by a friend, but I wasn't aware of Tachiyomi was a thing, but anything is better than a browser.

I don't think I had to pay for it and it doesn't have ads, that's kinda the point.

It struggled with batoto for a while and recently got that fixed, so it kinda sucks that batoto is shutting down now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why would I have my phone out while blasting the pan?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah thats what the switch is for

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mangastorm is the best manga app i've used but i think it's dead and ios only. i gave up trying to find one for android because most of them suck and reading manga on a phone is awful

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the batoto man should just give me the keys to the website. i will keep it running.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Why would I have my phone out while blasting the pan?

Yeah, why would you? I just have a dedicated tablet for that, that I got as a gift from work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's more like it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

Some people are just used to using it so unless they want stuff like VoIP, IRC works just fine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean in the context of this is it possible to widely share/distribute files on discord like IRC?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I mean in the context of this is it possible to widely share/distribute files on discord like IRC?

There are protocols you can run like XDCC that allow for downloading files. It's not uncommon for some older manga scanlation groups to do this so you just hop into their irc channel and run whatever command is needed to call for the file.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

discord has fairly small filesize limits for uploads iirc, and i have no idea how long those are hosted

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You can host a website for like 50 dollars a year.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You can host a website almost for free, it's the terabytes of bandwidth that you need to pay big money for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There is also hosting in a country that won't get shut down since the whole website revolves around piracy.

• Locked thread