Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

The glimpse of the way the cockpits are laid out in that preview... I... hate it.
Finally, the surprise Daimidaler sequel we've all been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

doggystyle in the franxx

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

The glimpse of the way the cockpits are laid out in that preview... I... hate it.

It's a metaphor for bees jamming their stinger in a flower to get it pregant.
Helllllloooooooooooooooo ART101 is calling, you need to go back to school

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Literal love handles.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm kinda annoyed the MC is such a turd because in the first episode he comes off as a generic LN-type self-insert who is being held back by society and a hot girl of mysterious origin shows up to grant him awesome power so he can be the hero he always knew he could be. Hopefully he just remains a piece of human garbage forever and dies at some point and gets replaced by someone more interesting.

Also who goes to look for an injured animal bleeding all over the place and then drops the search and lets it die because he caught the sight of tity

e: I forgot that he thought she was drowning even though she was clearly swimming just fine in what is an artificial lake that is probably like 2 feet deep

Eej fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 19, 2018

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Eej posted:

I'm kinda annoyed the MC is such a turd because in the first episode he comes off as a generic LN-type self-insert who is being held back by society and a hot girl of mysterious origin shows up to grant him awesome power so he can be the hero he always knew he could be. Hopefully he just remains a piece of human garbage forever and dies at some point and gets replaced by someone more interesting.

Also who goes to look for an injured animal bleeding all over the place and then drops the search and lets it die because he caught the sight of tity

e: I forgot that he thought she was drowning even though she was clearly swimming just fine in what is an artificial lake that is probably like 2 feet deep

This actually pretty nicely sums up all of my problems with this show so far. Like the animation and artwork and character designs are all brilliant but if the show continues with the tone the first episode set (where it isn't playing it tongue-in-cheek pretty much at all) I just don't know if I'm gonna be able to stick with it. I'll definitely try but yeesh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Those loving cockpits, im legitimately impressed with how loving stupid they are

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eej posted:

If I was a virgin teenager and had the choice of looking for a bloody bird or peeping some tittays the choice would be rather obvious. I do agree in hoping he dies though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eej posted:

These are pretty strong words about hating a character we've had basically zero time with at all, as well as a weird misrepresentation of what actually happened in the episode. Hiro isn't being held back by the society he lives in, he's explicitly holding himself back despite society making every effort to push him forward by refusing to take the pass they gave him to stick around when he and his partner failed the test. It looks like he's got some major self-loathing and guilt issues. As for the second part, 02 didn't grant him power, she used him to empower herself. He explicitly says he has no memory at all about what happened in the cockpit, the robot is very clearly female-controlled(to the point where the main robot's spoke with 02's voice), and 02 has used up and killed all of her previous partners. Being used as a battery by someone else isn't really the standard "random guy falls into cockpit and is an awesome pilot" setup.

Like Hiro's not a particularly interesting protagonist yet but he's done pretty much nothing wrong besides I guess letting a bird die because he got caught up in a conversation with 02. We don't know poo poo about why he was ready to sail his happy rear end back to the orphanage(or likely to his death since they basically state that failed pilots don't get to home) despite being given a pass to not and we don't know why he's so gloomy. Obviously at some point he wasn't, given that he gave Naomi and possibly the others their names.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
The only good/entertaining template for a MC in a robot show is Mikazuki, or that one cool dude in Gundam thunderbolt who listen to Jazz while murdering everyone.

02 is quirky and all but she can't carry the series alone.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mikazuki was one of the most boring Gundam main characters, and I'd have trouble picking between him and Heero for the least interesting stoic Gundam main characters, though Heero was at least more entertaining a in "this is dumb as hell" way.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 19, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually the emotionless murder child was better than this poo poo-rear end protagonist I've only known for 23 minutes and have projected the entirety of other shows/genres onto

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The way people were talking I thought I missed episode 2 or something

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hiro’s interesting because he’s the only character who’s been set up so far to question and eventually come into conflict with this hosed-up society. In contrast, Zero-Two is basically an avatar of everything that makes said society so destructive - callous hedonism masking a terror of being found useless that exceeds anything as mundane as a fear of death.

Hiro so far looks like the only person who is likely to push for these kids to live, have fun, and be kids, which is a worthy contribution to the show, and could result in some entertaining friction with Zero-Two.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

dogsicle posted:

actually the emotionless murder child was better than this poo poo-rear end protagonist I've only known for 23 minutes and have projected the entirety of other shows/genres onto

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Pretty clearly a lot of the plot is gonna deal with adolescence and relationships in their dystopian child-hellscape, and they've clearly decided to just make the imagery text instead of subtext.

It's an easy topic to gently caress up though, I hope they don't because I do like Trigger stuff.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Hiro so far looks like the only person who is likely to push for these kids to live, have fun, and be kids, which is a worthy contribution to the show, and could result in some entertaining friction with Zero-Two.

That'll likely put some friction less with Zero-Two and more with the adults. By itself, the fact that he had the gall to actually name people in a society where the children are seen as nothing but disposable sacrifices who must die glorious deaths and as such do not need names because that'd be humanizing can't give him a lot of points with his superiors. Though two out of three named superiors are numbers themselves, so we don't know to what extent the number naming goes - maybe even those adults are seen as disposable, or maybe they were pilots themselves that managed to survive brutal battles with mecha dinosaurs.

That said, I agree with the posts about people just projecting everything into Hiro, holy poo poo you people. We had one episode. It's like you all came out of Apocrypha and are extremely scared of having another Sieg.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, I agree with the posts about people just projecting everything into Hiro, holy poo poo you people. We had one episode. It's like you all came out of Apocrypha and are extremely scared of having another Sieg.

:agreed: I think Hiro is going to learn and grow and change! Isn't that what main characters are supposed to do? If he's still just an annoying cipher in four episodes, feel free to give me poo poo.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Prediction: they will flip "wimpy MC thrown into a Black Widow situation" into "MC is actually The One and not only survives but also starts plowing through as the Darling of multiple Franxxs, harem hijinks ensue". It's the most have cake and eat it too scenario I could come up with.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AnacondaHL posted:

Prediction: they will flip "wimpy MC thrown into a Black Widow situation" into "MC is actually The One and not only survives but also starts plowing through as the Darling of multiple Franxxs, harem hijinks ensue". It's the most have cake and eat it too scenario I could come up with.

This, but the MC is 02

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I hope they double fakeout and 02 kills him like the rest :getin:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eela6 posted:

:agreed: I think Hiro is going to learn and grow and change! Isn't that what main characters are supposed to do? If he's still just an annoying cipher in four episodes, feel free to give me poo poo.

The last Trigger thing I watched was Kiznaiver and their handling of high minded concepts like "people discovering the concept of empathy" was... muddled and missed the mark at best. But yeah, I have zero interest in an MC who starts as an edgy teen moping about how broken he is until a babe shows up to shatter his world. The first episode could've been vastly improved by just making the MC a girl and not just for dudes who are really into yuri.

Kanos posted:

These are pretty strong words about hating a character we've had basically zero time with at all, as well as a weird misrepresentation of what actually happened in the episode. Hiro isn't being held back by the society he lives in, he's explicitly holding himself back despite society making every effort to push him forward by refusing to take the pass they gave him to stick around when he and his partner failed the test. It looks like he's got some major self-loathing and guilt issues. As for the second part, 02 didn't grant him power, she used him to empower herself. He explicitly says he has no memory at all about what happened in the cockpit, the robot is very clearly female-controlled(to the point where the main robot's spoke with 02's voice), and 02 has used up and killed all of her previous partners. Being used as a battery by someone else isn't really the standard "random guy falls into cockpit and is an awesome pilot" setup.

Like Hiro's not a particularly interesting protagonist yet but he's done pretty much nothing wrong besides I guess letting a bird die because he got caught up in a conversation with 02. We don't know poo poo about why he was ready to sail his happy rear end back to the orphanage(or likely to his death since they basically state that failed pilots don't get to home) despite being given a pass to not and we don't know why he's so gloomy. Obviously at some point he wasn't, given that he gave Naomi and possibly the others their names.

I will concede that him being a battery instead of an active pilot makes him less of the standard setup. If he stays a useless lump of of a human being then sure, that's okay, but then you still end up with

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I can see why people are so ready to jump on it. When you deliverately echo the style and setup of Evangelion, you had better be ready for real criticism.

I guess my questions are:

1. What do you want?
2. What do you expect?
3. Is there anything wrong with playing the genre tropes straight :rimshot:, if they're done well?"

I think FranXX will be more ambitious than this, but I would be totally fine with 'lonely boy learns to love' if it's carried off with Trigger's characteristic style and panache.

I've only been back into anime for a couple years now, but honestly, I don't see a lot of Mecha shows with a focus on straight relationships around. Is there anything wrong with that?

For me, what I want is something along the lines of Gurren Lagann, something straightforward that that wears its heart on it's sleeve, with lots of rousing emotional moments punctuated by cool music and explosions.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 19, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0TfoDlkSQ

How the gently caress is this already out? We don't even have a TV version. This is so weird.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0TfoDlkSQ

How the gently caress is this already out? We don't even have a TV version. This is so weird.

Distribution of the song started today.
The website also mentions Ending song collections, so there might be several versions?

-e-
Yup, Ending Collection vol. 1 on sale March 28th, vol. 2 on June 27th.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 19, 2018

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This show introduced so many Strict Rules Of Society in the first episode that I would be very surprised if it's not planning to seriously question some of its world's initial assumptions as things go on. They have everyone living in an ominous death cult that's designed to pair them up, create sexual tension between them, and directly tie those feelings to their ability to pilot, and I don't think the show's conclusion is going to be "actually the manipulative death cult was good all along".

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

esselfortium posted:

This show introduced so many Strict Rules Of Society in the first episode that I would be very surprised if it's not planning to seriously question some of its world's initial assumptions as things go on. They have everyone living in an ominous death cult that's designed to pair them up, create sexual tension between them, and directly tie those feelings to their ability to pilot, and I don't think the show's conclusion is going to be "actually the manipulative death cult was good all along".

Showing the death cult is normalizing death cults and thus supporting death cults. That's what John Mccintosh tells me at least.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eela6 posted:

I can see why people are so ready to jump on it. When you deliverately echo the style and setup of Evangelion, you had better be ready for real criticism.

1. What do you want?
2. What do you expect?
3. Is there anything wrong with playing the genre tropes straight :rimshot:, if they're done well?"

I think FranXX will be more ambitious than this, but I would be totally fine with 'lonely boy learns to love' if it's carried off with Trigger's characteristic style and panache.

I've only been back into anime for a couple years now, but honestly, I don't see a lot of Mecha shows with a focus on straight relationships around. Is there anything wrong with that?

For me, what I want is something along the lines of Gurren Lagann, something straightforward that that wears its heart on it's sleeve, with lots of rousing emotional moments punctuated by cool music and explosions.

1. more robo dinos
2. not enough robo dinos, too many lingering rear end shots
3. yes because the medium is rife with "sad boys destined for greatness hook up with powerful girl that enable them to reach their fate", you can't play it straight without just being pandering at this point and the trope itself inherently diminishes the agency and value of the female character since she is written and designed around the requirements of the main character ("the main character is actually useless! ha ha!" is a mild subversion of the trope and would thus not count as being played straight fwiw)

I'll stick around because Trigger is still really good at animation but I fully expect to roll my eyes hard enough for them to fall out of their sockets if the show starts dumping :biotruths: on us about the nature of heterosexual love

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eela6 posted:

I hope they double fakeout and 02 kills him like the rest :getin:

That would be legitimately good.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Eej posted:

1. more robo dinos
2. not enough robo dinos, too many lingering rear end shots
3. yes because the medium is rife with "sad boys destined for greatness hook up with powerful girl that enable them to reach their fate", you can't play it straight without just being pandering at this point and the trope itself inherently diminishes the agency and value of the female character since she is written and designed around the requirements of the main character ("the main character is actually useless! ha ha!" is a mild subversion of the trope and would thus not count as being played straight fwiw)

I'll stick around because Trigger is still really good at animation but I fully expect to roll my eyes hard enough for them to fall out of their sockets if the show starts dumping :biotruths: on us about the nature of heterosexual love

Cool. Thanks for responding to me seriously! I don't know if I agree with #3, but you make a good point. Only thing to do now is find out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I’m really not sure that Zero-Two is Hiro’s enabler, though, except in the most negative sense. She’s giving him the tools and motive to succeed as a member of the death-cult, whereas he seems like the person most primed for the true victory of rejecting the death-cult altogether. If anything, I feel like he exists to be her salvation and a challenge to her perspective (assuming, of course, that he succeeds).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Hiro’s interesting because he’s the only character who’s been set up so far to question and eventually come into conflict with this hosed-up society. In contrast, Zero-Two is basically an avatar of everything that makes said society so destructive - callous hedonism masking a terror of being found useless that exceeds anything as mundane as a fear of death.

02 is introduced griping about the lack of facilities in this society and seems to regularly evade handlers to pursue her own desires. She's not outright questioning the society, but she's at least as set up to do so as Hiro after the first episode. Not to mention that she is an apparent outsider, both literally and figuratively; not trained in the garden like other pilots, a half human in some manner and with a much more relaxed attitude to sexuality and life in general than anyone bar Hiro himself. More than him in some ways.

Eej posted:

The last Trigger thing I watched was Kiznaiver and their handling of high minded concepts like "people discovering the concept of empathy" was... muddled and missed the mark at best. But yeah, I have zero interest in an MC who starts as an edgy teen moping about how broken he is until a babe shows up to shatter his world. The first episode could've been vastly improved by just making the MC a girl and not just for dudes who are really into yuri.

I fail to see how changing Hiro's sex would have made things any different really. Mopey girl whose life is shaken up by the entrance of a magical new girl in to her life and with possible lesbian overtones or mopey girl whose life is shaken up by a magical boy is both the same problem with only a tiny switch and not much less cliche. It's just a fairly standard yuri or shoujo plot instead of shonen plot as far as I can tell.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Eela6 posted:

1. What do you want?
2. What do you expect?

1. Since it's only episode 1 instead of going what I want for the whole series I'll go with what I want in the immediate future: to see more of this hosed up order this world has. The one that's instilled such a rigid sense of utilitarianism in everyone and comically insidious manipulative adults and popeking father. and more of 02's eccentricness.
To break my promise i started out with, I also just kind of want it to be earnest and exciting.

2. I kind of expect this to follow a common framework in Trigger's past: kid(s) coming of age in an oppressive/overly orderly society and the appearance of the outsider who will start the gears of an upheavel and just keep the rising action going

3. Personally, i don't think so. If I end enjoying a show, or it has a large impact on me, but it didnt offer something innovative or break new grounds I can't really say that makes me enjoy something less. But on the other hand I think the bar kind of rises and what is considered "done well" can definitely become stricter, and not every work can just stick with convention either. But I think that shows that will want to explore something new will so as long as it doesn't get boring/stale/repetitive I'm not gonna arbitrate what has to bear that burden

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tsob posted:

I fail to see how changing Hiro's sex would have made things any different really. Mopey girl whose life is shaken up by the entrance of a magical new girl in to her life and with possible lesbian overtones or mopey girl whose life is shaken up by a magical boy is both the same problem with only a tiny switch and not much less cliche. It's just a fairly standard yuri or shoujo plot instead of shonen plot as far as I can tell.

If the show does end up about breaking free of society then 02 being bi and making Franxx work with a same sex pairing when they are apparently only supposed to work with opposite sex pairs gives the writers more material to work with. They would lose their Jian metaphor though (not a big loss)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

to put that last point another way:

I'd rather whoever is the creative force behind a project make the project they want to make, wether that's something daring or something that plays it safe. That won't absolve a work from being boring or stale if thats what it ends up doing, just like something shouldn't get a free pass just floundering around in the name of being different either. That's also not to say that there's no benefit in having a balancing force to reign someone, or that restrictions, wether self-imposed or from external pressure havent elevated works, but i think no matter what whoever is the creative force has to have their heart in it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eej posted:

If the show does end up about breaking free of society then 02 being bi and making Franxx work with a same sex pairing when they are apparently only supposed to work with opposite sex pairs gives the writers more material to work with. They would lose their Jian metaphor though (not a big loss)

It's possible that subversion you're looking for is already baked in. From the preview of ep 2 we see, while the robots are clearly female-coded, the cockpit configuration has the guy in the center seat with the girl in the motorcycle position in front of him with literal handles popping out of their hips while wearing a bridal gown-inspired pilot suit. In ep 1, when we see 02 pull Hiro into the cockpit, she falls back into the center seat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

If we're placing bets, while I don't think it's impossible for 02 to pair with another girl, it wouldn't really address her central motivations, and since Hiro's co-lead, it's probably not going to happen.

The opening monologues seem to set them up as having paired arcs. 0-Ni finds the dependent nature of the birds beautiful, and combined with her serial relationships it indicates that she finds value in having someone else to weigh herself against (Even if her argument is reasonable, it seems significant that she seems to put no particular value on her own life the second she stops having a partner.) Meanwhile, Hiro hates the need for someone else to have value. If we're going paired arcs, Hiro's probably going to learn to accept his need for others, while 02 has to learn to stand on her own without her whole serial black widow gig.

Their relationship is going to be a central part of the plot, however it goes, so it's unlikely either of them's going to pilot without the other, leaving the whole same sex mech piloting to someone else, at least long term. (I agree it's pretty likely something's going to happen with that, to be clear. Just thinking 02's not the most likely narrative vector.)

(There was more here once, but it was just me being an rear end and a loving idiot, so it's gone now.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 20, 2018

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

It's anal, after all,

Are you being 100% serious with this because I seriously cannot tell.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Are we gonna have to have the talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It's 2018 media, it's anal.

• Locked thread