Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
This series loving rules. I'm glad they were able to take the whole "[old series], but now the modern internet exists" thing in a really fun direction, and seeing Lupin immediately taking advantage of the situation to basically just broadcast his goofy bullshit worldwide is just so good.

I also like how this part has been handling all the main cast for the most part, despite the slightly offputting thing with Amy's Ami's backstory. Seconding the comments that it would be nice to see some episodic stuff later in the series as well, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I appreciate "Lupin with internet" having--what is it, two accusations so far that he's in a relationship with male associates? It's gotten a good laugh or two out of me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I appreciate "Lupin with internet" having--what is it, two accusations so far that he's in a relationship with male associates? It's gotten a good laugh or two out of me.

The Lupin-Jigen and Lupin-Zenigata relationships really are written pretty homoerotically sometimes. The way Jigen's attitude towards women is sometimes written doesn't help. (He even calls himself an "aristocratic bachelor" in one Red Jacket episode.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh absolutely! It's funny to see people just call em out on it, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Three times. There were comments if he was in a relationship with Goemon.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

funny, since goemon is the only unequivocally heterosexual member of lupin crew

don't @ me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Goemon has never seen a boob. I don't think he knows what a boob is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Goemon has never seen a boob. I don't think he knows what a boob is.

He saw boobs in TWCFM. It was a profound experience for him.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/EsPyramid/status/984467622359166977

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Goemon is volcel.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Srice posted:

I think I prefer an incompetent Zenigata since he's usually like that in wackier eps and these days you don't get a lot of that. But I also enjoy when he's competent in an incompetent way, like beating up and arresting a bunch of drug dealers only to be yelled at later because those drug dealers were actually undercover cops.

If you're talking about Lupin III: Episode 0 - First Contact, Zenigata is still the most competent cop in that entire film. It's a really fun flick, btw.

Part IV also had some darker stuff next to slapsticky comedy with the whole kidnapped by women smugglers thing, but it felt somehow more integrated into the setting. In part V, it's just not given any weight at all right now, and I feel like they should do something meaningful with it.

I also hated Zenigata's early characterisation in Fujiko Mine when he solicits sexual favours from Fujiko. It's never really adressed in any way, so I guess it's just supposed to be shocking. Being gritty for no good reason like that is kind of pointless.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I can't believe Lupin is definitely, for real dead, with no way out.

Didn't even keep the hoax up for half the episode. And it didn't fool Zenigata for a second.

All planned from the beginning. And all ending with Zenigata getting a collar big enough to go back to his old job with no trouble.

Ami's out of the picture for now. Wouldn't be surprised to see her back in play later, but that's the first arc neatly wrapped up.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mah boy anime chris hardwick has returned

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looks like we're going to get some of that desired episodic stuff next week. I hope we're not gonna abandon the theme of Lupin meets the Internet entirely, though.

Also, Pink Jacket next week?!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
The next episode looks significantly wackier and high-concept. I suspect there's going to be a tonal shift depending on the jacket.

Like this was a more serious, Part 4-style adventure. Perhaps later there will be a red jacket story where Fujiko tricks Lupin into stealing something for her or a green jacket episode where they fight some weirdo villain.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 2, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really love the background art in this show.

EDIT: Is it just me or is Fujiko drawn in a completely different style in the next episode preview? :psyduck:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 2, 2018

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chiasaur11 posted:

I can't believe Lupin is definitely, for real dead, with no way out.

Didn't even keep the hoax up for half the episode. And it didn't fool Zenigata for a second.

All planned from the beginning. And all ending with Zenigata getting a collar big enough to go back to his old job with no trouble.

Ami's out of the picture for now. Wouldn't be surprised to see her back in play later, but that's the first arc neatly wrapped up.

If this were your first time with Lupin, you might have been surprised. Everyone else might have been a little thrown that the sniper team was Jigen and Fujiko instead of Jigen and Goemon.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ironically, in order to open a safe which adjusts itself to your iq, Lupin is going to be for real brain dead at the end of the next episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

I really love the background art in this show.

EDIT: Is it just me or is Fujiko drawn in a completely different style in the next episode preview? :psyduck:

Pink Jacket. They're doing a homage to a previous series, and Fujiko changes her look pretty often.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I liked the ending and the fact they didn't damsel Ami. Pink Jacket for next week kinda of threw me for a loop though

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I love the sunset scene at the vat of water in the desert. I feel it's a great arc to give Ami, where she starts to see the beauty in the world. Given how Lupin ends that whole episode, it's easy to forget the beauty of that scene.

I wonder if we have seen the last of her.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Where can I get the wallpaper of the end of the episode, with lupin and jigen looking at the castle in the background. Some serious Cagliostro vibes. I need it!

Great show so far!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I love the sunset scene at the vat of water in the desert. I feel it's a great arc to give Ami, where she starts to see the beauty in the world. Given how Lupin ends that whole episode, it's easy to forget the beauty of that scene.

I wonder if we have seen the last of her.

She learned in this arc that crime is cool and fun. I’m sure she’ll be available on call if the Lupin gang needs her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm still waiting for the final heist to be Lupin redoing the Lupin Game and recruiting the entire world as his accomplices, and I'm sure Ami will be involved in that.

Is there any particular symbolic meaning in the way Lupin keeps misreading Ami's name? (AH-mi instead of ah-MI?)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's just Lupin being Lupin.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanna know how goemon and jigen delivered the kiss cover singer and the rear end in a top hat lady to the police

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I wanna know how goemon and jigen delivered the kiss cover singer and the rear end in a top hat lady to the police

Spider-Man methods, presumably. They’d just doxxed them to the whole world as criminal kingpins, so I’d guess they could just tie them up and leave them outside the nearest major police station.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No wonder he's wearing a pink jacket, this episode is aggressively 80s

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plutonis posted:

No wonder he's wearing a pink jacket, this episode is aggressively 80s

It's aggressively pink jacket Lupin.

Interesting to have such a throwback of an episode. Wonder how many more in this style they'll do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Let's cancel blue jacket and make this into a pink jacket series, this ep was the best of the season so far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm real glad that, even if only for an episode they dropped whatever was going on with Lupin and Fujiko in order to have some classic hijinx.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Srice posted:

Let's cancel blue jacket and make this into a pink jacket series, this ep was the best of the season so far.

I enjoyed this last episode as a nice distraction and throwback but I am glad they're not going to make the whole show like that. This Fujiko was too aloof and cartoony. I prefer when they have her show more competence.

Mind you, Lupin can be portrayed in many different ways. They're all fine by me and so it is cool that the new series is willing to show this diversity. The blue jacket version has a more grounded tone that works with a more contemporary setting and I want to see more of it too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It basically seemed like a whole different show, but not a bad one. It's nice that they can just completely swap genres by making Lupin change clothes!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lupin is probably the anime that is most like a Marvel/DC comic in that it has had so many genre shifts during the years but it's still Lupin.

This episode was great and was a mix of both looking back on Pink Jacket lovingly yet also making fun of it as well

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

wielder posted:

This Fujiko was too aloof and cartoony. I prefer when they have her show more competence.

While Zenigata's variable competence across the franchise has often been commented on, Lupin and Fujiko both suffer from it it as well. I think Jigen is the character who's most consistently not an idiot, and has the most consistent characterization in general.

(In b4 someone digs up a Red Jacket or Pink Jacket episode in which Jigen is written as an idiot.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was rad. I hope they sprinkle in a couple more silly episodes later.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ami's super cool and I think they really miss a good opportunity if they don't bring her back, with her being such a good hacker you can involve her in any scheme and she can play a key role remotely, it's basically the perfect position for an interesting Lupin side character to be in and fills a super vital role for a modern thief. I'm also a real sucker for her voice in the show, it just really works for me.

Edit: I looked her up and she also voices Hestia and Rem, no wonder I found myself super soothed by her dulcet tones. Now that I know it I totally hear the connection, but it didn't pop until then when it seems so obvious now, especially with how much she sounds like Rem.

I liked Lupin just using force of personality and will to punk out the Marco Polo guy without even having a working gun. Perfect way to show the difference in class between the two.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Although you kind of have to hand it to the Marco Polo dudes for replacing most of the underworld while just being three nerds who don't know anything about doing crimes.

But they should have known to quit when they were ahead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Although you kind of have to hand it to the Marco Polo dudes for replacing most of the underworld while just being three nerds who don't know anything about doing crimes.

But they should have known to quit when they were ahead.

Dude. They’re bitcoiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Dude. They’re bitcoiners.

I didn't say it was unrealistic!

• Locked thread