Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i saw a bunch of people mocking the kids taking the red candy for the cameras and poo poo, but the subtext in the show seemed to be saying it was a form of drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

i saw a bunch of people mocking the kids taking the red candy for the cameras and poo poo, but the subtext in the show seemed to be saying it was a form of drug

Yeah, they were stealing that poo poo for drugs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it was kind of odd, but then when the kid said "I stole that gear and you gave me almost nothing for it" and the guys response was "yeah, well, who else were you going to fence it to?" I figured the candy thing was that the kids genuinely love candy, are good at stealing, have no other way of turning theft into candy, and the dude is such a cheapskate that he doesn't even give them one candy each for stealing high end cameras for him

This theory falls apart as soon as I realise that they could just steal from a candy shop, but something about the children all being drug addicts just feels off from any other scene or aspect of their portrayal. It's the kind of thing I'd like to see more evidence for before I conclude that the candy is drugs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was drugs, he was addicting the kids to drugs so he'd have a steady supply of stuff to hock.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They aren't going to explicitly call it drugs so they can get away with having the kids take it, so instead all the contextual information and animation clues the viewer into why the red candy is so important to them.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Long as it doesn't become a gimmick of the kid having to yell how to dodge every episode they should be alright.

The fact one of them came running up with a circular saw of all things to help fight though :shittypop:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I get that, but the kids don't seem terribly concerned with getting cutoff from their supply and the guy doesn't bring it up in any fashion to attempt to control them either, so I don't really see why the writers would decide to make it drugs outside of some additional, hidden layer of edge, since it's clearly not something of actual significance to the kids

Unless there's a bunch of extra visual cues in the background that I missed or something?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Like if he actually just gave them a big bag full of candy I wouldn't see any reason to believe it's drugs, him being weirdly stingy with candy is the only real hint towards that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man no candy is going to let you forget about the poo poo life you are living unless its laced in opiates. The dealer himself straight up says that its an escape for them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man no candy is going to let you forget about the poo poo life you are living unless its laced in opiates. The dealer himself straight up says that its an escape for them.

They're frigging trippin balls the second they start eating it too, its not subtle lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the fact that they specifically refer to it as Red Candy, rather than just candy. That's a street name.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

People missing subtle and unsubtle narrative clues unless theyre pointed out to them 3 times as bluntly as possible isn't exclusive to anime but it seems to happen a lot more in this medium than others I've followed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It’s possible it’s not a particularly physically addictive drug, just something that feels real nice and special. You know, like weed or LSD.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ninjewtsu posted:

I get that, but the kids don't seem terribly concerned with getting cutoff from their supply and the guy doesn't bring it up in any fashion to attempt to control them either, so I don't really see why the writers would decide to make it drugs outside of some additional, hidden layer of edge, since it's clearly not something of actual significance to the kids

Unless there's a bunch of extra visual cues in the background that I missed or something?

the kid loving cuts the guy when he's cheated of his piece. he seemed p damned concerned about his supply being cut off

also, if it were regular candy, i think these kids would have the resources to steal it themselves considering they can steal better guarded and more valuable poo poo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Condiv posted:

also, if it were regular candy, i think these kids would have the resources to steal it themselves considering they can steal better guarded and more valuable poo poo

ninjewtsu posted:

This theory falls apart as soon as I realise that they could just steal from a candy shop

Yeah I already caught that bit man

I'll give the scene a rewatch and see if it looks more obviously like the kids are drugged out, I wouldn't be surprised that I missed some stuff but that's an odd detail to not have come up at all again during the conflict with the store owner. I think a lot of stuff that you guys are bringing up I read as cartoonish exaggeration over how much kids like candy, ed edd n eddy style. Which certainly doesn't really fit the tone of the rest of the show

Thinking back on it, one of the kids staring blankly off into space while sucking a lollipop when they were running from the camera guy is kinda strange! Would make sense if the kid was a bit out of it from going on a little trip, though the candy they got from the shop guy wasn't lolipops

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Horse to water.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm apparently not the most obtuse square lame-o I thought I was because even I caught the fact that that poo poo was drugs lmao

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It seems perfectly normal to knife someone over candy imo. Candy's fuckin good

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I read it as the kids getting candy. That is dark.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The kids are awesome and having an entourage of pint sized fans who believe in Joe is vital to the Joe myth. Haters begone

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
If it were just regular candy, there's no way they'd be haggling between 3 or 4 pieces over a bag full of expensive cameras, he'd just give them a whole drat bag of it. It has to be drugs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GyroNinja posted:

If it were just regular candy, there's no way they'd be haggling between 3 or 4 pieces over a bag full of expensive cameras, he'd just give them a whole drat bag of it. It has to be drugs.

in this hellscape future, cameras grow on trees, while sugar costs nearly as much as gold

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah I already caught that bit man

I'll give the scene a rewatch and see if it looks more obviously like the kids are drugged out, I wouldn't be surprised that I missed some stuff but that's an odd detail to not have come up at all again during the conflict with the store owner. I think a lot of stuff that you guys are bringing up I read as cartoonish exaggeration over how much kids like candy, ed edd n eddy style. Which certainly doesn't really fit the tone of the rest of the show

Thinking back on it, one of the kids staring blankly off into space while sucking a lollipop when they were running from the camera guy is kinda strange! Would make sense if the kid was a bit out of it from going on a little trip, though the candy they got from the shop guy wasn't lolipops

sachio asks the dude if he has "the stuff" and then they all go nuts over the proper noun, Red Candy, to which Nanbu says "that stuff's gonna rot your brain" before you see two of the kids absolutely blissing out on the candy.

the darkness is not really emphasized, and they aren't shivering with withdrawal symptoms but there are definitely tells that it is a drug. it def fits in with this lovely wasteland world where tons of people aren't even considered citizens, and our entry point was shady underground fights.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, i feel like it works either way.

if it's drugs, the meaning is obvious. if it's candy, it essentially says that we're looking at the absolute worst kind of late capitalism, where people have to scrape by for the most basic things to the point where even a couple pieces of candy are a huge luxury.

honestly, i feel like the latter gels really well with what we've seen of the setting so far, just the same as the drugs interpretation would.

e: that said, i'm... honestly getting really strong vibes that this show is going to get extremely loving grim by the end, so I wouldn't be surprised if a) it's totally drugs and b) they're way way worse drugs than they immediately look.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We also had what was heavily implied to be Nanbu drinking a dude when he talked to his yakuza boss.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

We also had what was heavily implied to be Nanbu drinking a dude when he talked to his yakuza boss.

that was just a bomb shot, like a shot of jameson in teh beer

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

also horrible screaming that may or may not have been a man getting raped in the background through that entire conversation

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

that was the dude getting chop shopped whos identity they took

im losing faith in yall

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also horrible screaming that may or may not have been a man getting raped in the background through that entire conversation

ok the candy was drugs but this was definitely not what was happening

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i honestly figured it was a different dude and this yakuza organization just kills a lot of people in really, really nasty ways

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok the candy was drugs but this was definitely not what was happening

i mean... all we hear is really nasty screaming that kind of gets muffled at a few points, like whoever's loving him up is covering his mouth or putting a bag over his head. i'm not really sure what the gently caress was happening to that guy except that it was Something Really God drat Horrible and either rape or some kind of horrible torture seemed on the money.

e: and i mean this literally happens amid a discussion about turning people into soup stock so insane horrible poo poo is clearly not outside this yakuza org's lane.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 21, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this is some good fuckin candy lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
show: character is served a mysterious soup by a murderous gangster who keeps talking about how to render people into soup while a man is heard screaming in the background.

:goonsay:: hmm... clearly someone is being raped.

Seriously, when did David Cameron get a Something Awful account?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

People missing subtle and unsubtle narrative clues unless theyre pointed out to them 3 times as bluntly as possible isn't exclusive to anime but it seems to happen a lot more in this medium than others I've followed.

I think I have to agree

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

lmao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

show: character is served a mysterious soup by a murderous gangster who keeps talking about how to render people into soup while a man is heard screaming in the background.

:goonsay:: hmm... clearly someone is being raped.

Seriously, when did David Cameron get a Something Awful account?

i think it's kind of telling that we've had two people authoritatively state what happened to the dude, and you and sharkopath came up with completely different answers (you thought he was the guy getting drank by yakuza boss, Sharkopath thought he was the guy they chopped up to give Joe an ID)

like, jesus christ, y'all are fixating really loving hard on what was literally just me spitballing. my only point here is that we basically have no clue what happened to the dude; i'm totally willing (and frankly happy) to concede it wasn't rape, but i feel like pretty much any concrete answer we give to what was happening to that dude is gonna be straight out of the poster's rear end, because the show really gives us no clear context.

i only even brought it up because regardless of what was happening to that dude, that loving horrifying screaming is probably a good sign that this show won't be happy fun times.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 21, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no duh

the original ashita no joe has him accidentally kill his boxing rival and eventually die boxing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also obviously you need to chop the guy up before you can render him into soup stock

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That extended shot of Joe's trembling hand got me wondering if he's already got brain injuries from all his rigged fights.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I love that Sachio knows tech and isn't just obnoxious hijinx kid or even #1 fan. He wants in on it for real and I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think it's kind of telling that we've had two people authoritatively state what happened to the dude, and you and sharkopath came up with completely different answers (you thought he was the guy getting drank by yakuza boss, Sharkopath thought he was the guy they chopped up to give Joe an ID)

like, jesus christ, y'all are fixating really loving hard on what was literally just me spitballing. my only point here is that we basically have no clue what happened to the dude; i'm totally willing (and frankly happy) to concede it wasn't rape, but i feel like pretty much any concrete answer we give to what was happening to that dude is gonna be straight out of the poster's rear end, because the show really gives us no clear context.

i only even brought it up because regardless of what was happening to that dude, that loving horrifying screaming is probably a good sign that this show won't be happy fun times.

haha whaaat

• Locked thread