Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Wait, I just rewatched Episode 4 and did anyone else notice that the cat Hidomi barks at is loving Miyu Miyu???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also at some point the medical mechanica factory got adjusted to no longer be at an angle, like it was at the end of the original.

I think that's actually an entirely separate plant, not the same one from FLCL. Episode 3 shows there's a bunch of them all over the drat place, apparently.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

I think that's actually an entirely separate plant, not the same one from FLCL. Episode 3 shows there's a bunch of them all over the drat place, apparently.

Yeah. Hidomi's mom commented how there was one the last place they lived to.

As for timing, we know it can't be too long after the first one because of Eyebrows, but the closing credit shots rule out it being too short. 18 years, same as the gap between the shows, seems about right.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

As for timing, we know it can't be too long after the first one because of Eyebrows, but the closing credit shots rule out it being too short. 18 years, same as the gap between the shows, seems about right.

I mean he has a different voice actor, doesn't he? I'm assuming a different dude until proven otherwise. Have we heard his name?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I mean he has a different voice actor, doesn't he? I'm assuming a different dude until proven otherwise. Have we heard his name?

It's a different character entirely. He's just kinda vaguely slotting into the role Amarou played in FLCL 1. Ballcap's name is Masurao.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funkmaster General posted:

Wait, I just rewatched Episode 4 and did anyone else notice that the cat Hidomi barks at is loving Miyu Miyu???

They even got Steve back!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

He's called Marurao. Commander Amarao was in FLCL 1. One name each, which makes that less useful for eliminations.

The VA thing was the first thing I looked at. In the Japanese version, they're voiced by the same guy.

Looks the same, acts the same, similar jobs, same VA. Not exactly a lock, but it's looking plausible right now.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

He's called Marurao. Commander Amarao was in FLCL 1. One name each, which makes that less useful for eliminations.

The VA thing was the first thing I looked at. In the Japanese version, they're voiced by the same guy.

Looks the same, acts the same, similar jobs, same VA. Not exactly a lock, but it's looking plausible right now.

Huh, would be a shame if it is the same guy and we didn’t get the same voice actor in English. I really loved his VA, too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Huh, would be a shame if it is the same guy and we didn’t get the same voice actor in English. I really loved his VA, too.

Looks like he's gone union and semi-retired.

Not sure if Progressive is a union dub. If it isn't, he might not have the pull some of the bigger names involved here do to get away with non-union work.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I can't believe it took them this long to do a manga sequence.

Also, they finally said Atomsk's name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HE ARRIVES

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy powered up Hidomi looks sweet.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Art in this episode was on-point. The story was also on-point. Hyped for next weekend. ATOMISK returns!

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Love the film board of Canada-like oil-paint animation, enjoyed the more josei-like motion-comic look for the manga sequence (such a subtle touch,) and most of all dig how it's not aping the original with referential moments, and still seems to be saying something much different, and that really, at this point, I can't even quite tell where it's going. Though, Hidomi's indictment of Haruko's behavior is certainly something bigger than the original series was getting at. At most, Hidomi's death drive/possessive passion and Haruko's unrelenting pursuit of jouissance are going to collide in a very different way than the latter collided with Noata's immature attempt at maturity.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
whoever mixed the sound in this series needs to be sent to forever jail

how dare you make I Think I Can so muted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also iide appears to have been eaten by canti, which in turn woke up atomsk

haruko had better hope like hell that another pubescent boy didn't get her bird husband's power because i don't think this one's going to go in for a kiss at the last second

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

whoever mixed the sound in this series needs to be sent to forever jail

how dare you make I Think I Can so muted

I agree the mixing isn't great, but it did kind of fit the scene there.

Iide is trying to pull a Naota, but he's not good enough. So you get Naota's triumphant theme playing soft, because the guy trying to channel him isn't bringing it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe my memory is bad but it felt like the whole show shifted to a different and better art style. Or maybe all the effort just went into the last two episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The director of this particular episode has a distinct style and it shows.

It's really refreshing for Haruko to be called on her bullshit and be acknowledged as the bad person she is rather than idolizing her as the manic pixie dream girl people remember her as.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 1, 2018

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Huh, so apparently they are in middle school, which changes my idea from earlier a bit.

Agreed that this episode was much better done. The pacing was good and the musical choices were better (mixing aside). I wish the rest of the show had been like this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really refreshing for Haruko to be called on her bullshit and be acknowledged as the bad person she is rather than idolizing her as the manic pixie dream girl people remember her as.

Well she has been a much more direct antagonist this series then the old one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sindai posted:

Maybe my memory is bad but it felt like the whole show shifted to a different and better art style. Or maybe all the effort just went into the last two episodes.

there were about 4 different art styles during this episode:

the really cool coal painting-looking one from the dream at the beginning
the primary style of the episode with rougher lines and more simplistic character designs
the brief moment where it turned into a romance anime at the theme park
the manga scene (which was dope as hell)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Really digging how downright monstrous Haruko is throughout the season

Also, casual mass destruction using an amusement park

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

This episode was also produced by a different studio: Signal.MD, which is another IG Port subsidiary. They mostly do grunt work for other shops but notably they produced Cyborg 009: Call of Justice, and Atom the Beginning.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why did that one guy look like a human dog?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
IIIIIIITS THE CLIMAX

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think my major issue with it so far is how much of a non-character Hidomi is. I get her thing is shutting out the world and depression, but she does so little that it honestly feels like Ide is the actual main character. I know it’s probably hard to write a character who’s thing is that she has totally withdrawn from the world, but only in episode 5 are we really seeing her rise above the status of a prop. I dunno, maybe I’m dumb.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

I think my major issue with it so far is how much of a non-character Hidomi is. I get her thing is shutting out the world and depression, but she does so little that it honestly feels like Ide is the actual main character. I know it’s probably hard to write a character who’s thing is that she has totally withdrawn from the world, but only in episode 5 are we really seeing her rise above the status of a prop. I dunno, maybe I’m dumb.

I kind of agree, but we’ll see how it ends and how she feels on rewatches. It does feel like we’re watching the original from Ninamori’s perspective at this point.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
What's the deal with the space station?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I'm not sure if I'd really say Progressive is particularly written from Hidomi's perspective in the way the original (and even Alternative so far) was, which very specifically had diary-like narration from Noata though out, and often specifically, capping the episodes. Yes, we see Hidomi's dreams, but largely it seems like it's a much more 3rd party perspective than the original. We have very little of anyone's internal monologue this time, but particularly Hidomi's. We have her emotions and motivations in broad abstract strokes via visuals and dream narration, but not her speaking to them much as events that had occurred. I'm not sure if that itself is meant to speak to something or just to keep anything from being spoiled due to over explanation, but to me, it's the biggest style shift between Progressive and the original.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

redsniper posted:

What's the deal with the space station?

it's a Dept of Interstellar Immigration warehouse used to store refuse of alien origin

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
There was some nice stylish animation in this episode, but I didn’t get much out of it beyond that. There’s one episode left and i still don’t particularly know or care about any of the characters, or feel any urgency about what’s happening.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Up front: I appreciate these last 5 episodes and am looking forward to watching Alternative when it comes out.

I've been following this pattern: watch an episode of Progressive, then wait a day or two and watch it again, then watch it's numbered equivalent of the original.

The original is loving magical, so a followup was doomed to fail, but I'd prefer that the sequels at least batted for the fences and went for the same level of weird/standalone/stylistic as FLCL classic. I appreciate that Hidomi is an amazing late-Millennial character to focus on with her "my generation will be known for wanting to die and also memes" embodiment, but I think it's a wasted moment to not have some Classic FLCL/Wonder Years bookends of why my generation feels this way, and have some extended dialogues about the lack of job opportunities despite having a degree or two and the ubiquity of life-crushing debt.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MadJackal posted:

Up front: I appreciate these last 5 episodes and am looking forward to watching Alternative when it comes out.

I've been following this pattern: watch an episode of Progressive, then wait a day or two and watch it again, then watch it's numbered equivalent of the original.

The original is loving magical, so a followup was doomed to fail, but I'd prefer that the sequels at least batted for the fences and went for the same level of weird/standalone/stylistic as FLCL classic. I appreciate that Hidomi is an amazing late-Millennial character to focus on with her "my generation will be known for wanting to die and also memes" embodiment, but I think it's a wasted moment to not have some Classic FLCL/Wonder Years bookends of why my generation feels this way, and have some extended dialogues about the lack of job opportunities despite having a degree or two and the ubiquity of life-crushing debt.

Now I’m curious how wide-spread / common this disillusioned millennial type is in Japan. I was under the impression that it was more of a western thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It wouldn't be too surprising to have some western sensibilities seeing as it's an American coproduction.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Now I’m curious how wide-spread / common this disillusioned millennial type is in Japan. I was under the impression that it was more of a western thing.

The Lost Decade has still never ended, and the young getting shut out of the traditional job market due to lifelong hiring practices and market stagnation, and thus being forced into the equivalent of a highly exploitative and abusive gig economy are very much things over there too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This has me wondering how we're supposed to interpret the weird amount of emphasis on most of our characters being employed.

Hidomi and Jinyu worked at Hidomi's mom's cafe (Except the mom is closing the shop down now), Ide works in a junkyard, the one kid works at the amusement park that was also a combining type super robot, the one girl is a rent-a-girlfriend etc.

Hell even freakin' Haruko got a job as a teacher. Like obviously there are explicit plot reasons for some of these too, but its something worth pointing out.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Raxivace posted:

This has me wondering how we're supposed to interpret the weird amount of emphasis on most of our characters being employed.

Hidomi and Jinyu worked at Hidomi's mom's cafe (Except the mom is closing the shop down now), Ide works in a junkyard, the one kid works at the amusement park that was also a combining type super robot, the one girl is a rent-a-girlfriend etc.

Hell even freakin' Haruko got a job as a teacher. Like obviously there are explicit plot reasons for some of these too, but its something worth pointing out.

This is why I wanna see if the line Haruko says about Hidomi being a middle schooler is a translation error or intended. The job thing, and that speech Haruko gives in episode 1 makes more sense for high schoolers since that's usually the end of the line "adolescence" wise. It doesn't really fit well for middle schoolers.

Middle schoolers having a job is usually a big no-no, and openly having a job even more so. Now granted, only Marco falls into that category since Ide and Hidomi's situations would probably already be covered by caveats (Ide's is clearly under the table/self dealing and Hidomi is working at a family business). Also rent-a-girlfriend's job is grey market regardless of middle school or high school (or adult life for that matter). There's been plenty other anime this season and recently that have "kid gets a job and tries to hide it" as a plot point. Hinamatsuri being the bigest example, so it's a weird little thing to throw in there casually.

If you compare the topic to the original FLCL, there's really only one upfront mention of kids working and that's in episode 4 when Naota runs into Masashi, Gaku (I had to google their names), and Ninamori doing deliveries for Masashi's father. And they were keeping it on the down low, and not only because kids shouldn't be driving. Also They got paid in water pistols so lol. But other than that, and the truck being a minor beat in a plot point in episode 6, that's all there was to it. I suppose Naota worked in the family bread shop too, but that's one of those caveat situations.

I'm not sure there's really much to it though. I think at best it's just window dressing used to show how times have changed, or how the generations have changed.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Pants Donkey posted:

We'll have to see how this pans out, but I've felt like Hidomi and Ide have been co-protagonists, or at least their relationship is the main driving force of the season. As a whole I've really been enjoying it, though it definitely doesn't rise to the level of the original series.

Crain posted:

This is why I wanna see if the line Haruko says about Hidomi being a middle schooler is a translation error or intended.

Hidomi also says she's a Junior High student in the first minute of Re:Start. Pretty sure that's the intended setting.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
On the other hand, Hidomi literally monologues in episode 1 about how she has nothing she wants to do or be when she grows up, which fits into the themes of unemployment and the lost decade.

Also in episode 1 she explicitly describes herself as a middle school student. I guess to be fair that was during a dream sequence. I am under the impression though that in Japan high school is more viewed as college lite, requiring entrance exams etc. I assume some people just don't go to high school and instead start working after middle school, just like how some people do the same with university? Are there specific job-targeted high schools in Japan, like there are computer science schools or whatever over here? I could see Japanese middle school being closer adolescence-wise to western high school compared to western middle school.

• Locked thread