Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Xenomrph posted:

I think a lot of those “gaps” in the security were intentional, because ultimately the “trap” for Michael doesn’t work if he doesn’t get inside the house, and Laurie planned it that way.

This is what I thought as well. They even made a point of showing Laurie turn lights off in the house when Michael is coming. I thought the lights outside being on and the lights inside being off was to get him in there. Plus she had every room of the house set up with the cage doors and rigged to set on fire. Even before the “It’s not a panic room” line I figured everything in the house was intentional to get him in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Saw this movie last night and enjoyed it a decent amount. I was hoping for something scarier, but I can't deny the appeal of Terminator 2 mixed with a slasher film (although T2 was already kind of a slasher film...)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh also I want to say wrt to some of the inconsistencies in the house people have been discussing, I actually liked that quite a lot. Yes, it would make more sense for Laurie to have high-power lights inside, or to have landmines in the house, or what have you.

But what's so incredible about how Laurie prepared for Michael is she KNOWS he's a movie villain. Or, at least in-universe she seems to have an understanding that he's something "more" than just human. That's a major recurring theme in this movie, that characters want Michael to say something. To demonstrate to the world that he really is just a mentally-ill murderer. But he's not. He's Michael. And Laurie knows that. She knows the way to lure Michael is to appear weak, to appear afraid.

It's the same reason why the best part in the whole movie is Judy Greer pretending to have a breakdown in order to draw Michael out. Her mother probably straight up told her "He'll come for you when you're at your most terrified" and then they use that as a trap? So loving cool! That's also the moment Laurie appears behind Michael, partially shrouded in shadow, and gives her amazing "Happy Halloween, Michael" line. They were able to defeat Michael in that moment because they'd flipped the table from prey to predator.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 22, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I actually wish they had stretched out the bit with Laurie flipping the script and stalking Michael. Her vanishing from the lawn and appearing behind him from the darkness were awesome, but in a movie so heavily mired in living with trauma and PTSD, it felt like there could have been more done with her taking ownership of the situation like that. Like the predator/prey reversal is there, but I feel like it could have been hit on a little more strongly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

I actually wish they had stretched out the bit with Laurie flipping the script and stalking Michael. Her vanishing from the lawn and appearing behind him from the darkness were awesome, but in a movie so heavily mired in living with trauma and PTSD, it felt like there could have been more done with her taking ownership of the situation like that. Like the predator/prey reversal is there, but I feel like it could have been hit on a little more strongly.

Yeah, I agree. I think the biggest weakness of this movie is a bloat of scenes that didn't really matter at the expense of scenes that did. Like, the whole dynamic with Allyson and her BF never led anywhere but they spend kind of a lot of time on developing it.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Xenomrph posted:

I think a lot of those “gaps” in the security were intentional, because ultimately the “trap” for Michael doesn’t work if he doesn’t get inside the house, and Laurie planned it that way.

Yeah, I was also left with that impression. Laurie's prepper poo poo was shown as flawed right from the start, when she let in the podcasters by taking the bar off the door that had unprotected, easily breakable sidelights. That felt off to me, but I thought that inconsistency might just a symptom of her trauma. Like maybe her emotional instability left her with some blind spots. The point wasn't to keep Michael out though, it was to offer him a target that would keep him from getting in silently while not being defended enough to put him off. And then Laurie's daughter pulled that same trick of showing strategic weakness.

My biggest nitpick was that I wish there had been more of a reaction to the husband's death. I know there wouldn't have been much time to dwell on it, but it felt awkward that it went so unacknowledged.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

deety posted:

Yeah, I was also left with that impression. Laurie's prepper poo poo was shown as flawed right from the start, when she let in the podcasters by taking the bar off the door that had unprotected, easily breakable sidelights. That felt off to me, but I thought that inconsistency might just a symptom of her trauma. Like maybe her emotional instability left her with some blind spots. The point wasn't to keep Michael out though, it was to offer him a target that would keep him from getting in silently while not being defended enough to put him off. And then Laurie's daughter pulled that same trick of showing strategic weakness.

My biggest nitpick was that I wish there had been more of a reaction to the husband's death. I know there wouldn't have been much time to dwell on it, but it felt awkward that it went so unacknowledged.

I don't think she ever really knew he had been killed? I could be remembering wrong, but I don't think anyone but Laurie actually sees the body. And when Karen asks her where he is, Laurie kind of just shrugs it off. After that, Karen's main priority quickly shifts to protecting her own daughter, so I can't blame her for not dwelling on it.

It's kind of funny to me that they even brought him along at all. He's clearly not equipped for this poo poo, and I doubt Michael gives enough of a poo poo about Laurie's son-in-law to go hunt him down. If you think about it, he was kind of killed by his family lol

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 22, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

deety posted:

Yeah, I was also left with that impression. Laurie's prepper poo poo was shown as flawed right from the start, when she let in the podcasters by taking the bar off the door that had unprotected,

How is that a flaw? Laurie isn't a typical prepper, ultra-paranoid about everything. She's prepping for one specific person, and he's not likely to have a podcast.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think she ever really knew he had been killed? I could be remembering wrong, but I don't think anyone but Laurie actually sees the body. And when Karen asks her where he is, Laurie kind of just shrugs it off. After that, Karen's main priority quickly shifts to protecting her own daughter, so I can't blame her for not dwelling on it.

It's kind of funny to me that they even brought him along at all. He's clearly not equipped for this poo poo, and I doubt Michael gives enough of a poo poo about Laurie's son-in-law to go hunt him down. If you think about it, he was kind of killed by his family lol

That makes sense, but in the moment it felt like that non-answer was an obvious answer. I guess I just liked that character and wish he'd have gotten more of a reaction than all those dead randoms. As unhelpful as he was, I think Karen wouldn't have left without him, though it might have made more sense to leave him home in case Allyson finally called or showed up. But even when poo poo started going down, he never really appreciated the danger. I felt like he got himself killed by going out to investigate a trap instead of admitting that he needed to sit down and let his weird mother-in-law run the show.

Jedit posted:

How is that a flaw? Laurie isn't a typical prepper, ultra-paranoid about everything. She's prepping for one specific person, and he's not likely to have a podcast.

The "flaw" wasn't letting the podcasters in. It was barring your front door while there are those narrow side windows on either side that a home invader could smash and use to remove the bar, just like Michael did later. I was just saying that the podcaster scene showed both the bar and the skinny, unprotected windows early on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Having only seen the original I was surprised by how brutal and downright sadistic Michael was in this one. I know a large part is just how horror audiences are different in 2018 from ones in 1978 but drat. Some of this felt a lot more mean spirited than the original and I can be pretty squeamish so certain deaths were a lot.

Good movie though. The funny parts that were very obviously written by McBride were great. Genuinely lol’d at “well that’s a dumb thing to pray for.”

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Having only seen the original I was surprised by how brutal and downright sadistic Michael was in this one. I know a large part is just how horror audiences are different in 2018 from ones in 1978 but drat. Some of this felt a lot more mean spirited than the original and I can be pretty squeamish so certain deaths were a lot.

Good movie though. The funny parts that were very obviously written by McBride were great. Genuinely lol’d at “well that’s a dumb thing to pray for.”

Such a great reaction. He really was a great character, and I liked how he seemed to be the only one other than Laurie who seemed to have a real understanding of the situation they had found themselves in.

While I'm thinking of it, black-guy-with-cowboy-hat is just another character in this movie who had a lot of lines but served no purpose at all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neo Rasa posted:

Do people like not understand what a trap is?

This. The entire loving point of the house was to trap Michael inside and incinerate him. Nothing more. That's the gently caress reason why it's so easy for him to get in, he's supposed to get in.

You and multiple posters are explaining why the house is the way it is, but there are still people in here circular-debating about it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Did anybody else feel like there was a bit of a Chekov’s gun situation with the trap door? Obviously it plays a part in the small twist at the end, but so much time is spent carefully showing it open and close and how slowly it moves, and how it sounds, I thought for sure we were gonna see a head or a limb get crushed in it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

Did anybody else feel like there was a bit of a Chekov’s gun situation with the trap door? Obviously it plays a part in the small twist at the end, but so much time is spent carefully showing it open and close and how slowly it moves, and how it sounds, I thought for sure we were gonna see a head or a limb get crushed in it.

Oh yeah, not to mention the very beginning of the movie has the dad getting his finger caught in a mouse-trap. It that isn't horror movie for "this character is going to get split in half" I don't know what is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

deety posted:

[quote="PantsBandit" post="489102296"]

I have to watch the movie again because I forget specifically why, but during the dinner scene and earlier scenes with that character, I subtly got the impression that Laurie isn't particularly fond of him on a level beyond them not taking her prepper stuff seriously and that he was very distant from his wife and daughter compared to how he behaves around other guys. But when she gave him the pistol and stationed him out front it DEFINITELY felt like she did that intentionally to bait Michael and that she saw him possibly dying as a hey what can you do kind of situation. I mean knowing what Laurie knows why else would you do that.

This actually does also gel with how Laurie raised her daughter too and how she positions everyone in the house, remember this was something the daughter was prepping for too until child services took her away.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 22, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I have to watch the movie again because I forget specifically why, but during the dinner scene and earlier scenes with that character, I subtly got the impression that Laurie isn't particularly fond of him on a level beyond them not taking her prepper stuff seriously and that he was pretty distant from his wife and kid. But when she gave him the pistol and stationed him out front it DEFINITELY felt like she did that intentionally to bait Michael and that she saw him possibly dying as a hey what can you do kind of situation. I mean knowing what Laurie knows why else would you do that.

This actually does also gel with how Laurie raised her daughter too and how she positions everyone in the house, remember this was something the daughter was prepping for too until child services took her away.

Eh, I don't think it was intentionally malicious on Laurie's part. I think he got the pistol because it was the absolute simplest weapon she owned. Intuitive, easy to handle and, like she said, it never jams. Which is good because he wouldn't have any idea wtf to do if it did.

As far as where he was in the house Laurie didn't seem concerned with getting them down to the panic room until she actually knew Michael was there. The dad was the first to actually see Michael, and he only died because he left the safety of the house like a loving idiot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah I don't mean that like, she literally decided that he needed to die and sent him to die, just that once things played out the way she did and given their current situation it seemed reasonable for them to not be too concerned about him in the heat of the moment. But while the pistol choice was obvious I do think she put him on point because it would satisfy his general attitude throughout the movie about how only he knows what's best for his kid while simultaneously putting him in a position where his main purpose to let Laurie know when Michael has arrived, which is the only tactical use she saw in him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah I don't mean that like, she literally decided that he needed to die and sent him to die, just that once things played out the way she did and given their current situation it seemed reasonable for them to not be too concerned about him in the heat of the moment. But while the pistol choice was obvious I do think she put him on point because it would satisfy his general attitude throughout the movie about how only he knows what's best for his kid while simultaneously putting him in a position where his main purpose to let Laurie know when Michael has arrived, which is the only tactical use she saw in him.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Yeah it would fit for Laurie's general detachment for her to see him as a canary in the coal mine. He really is perfect Michael-bait, constantly trying to be a clown, overly confident, incapable of taking the situation seriously.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Yeah it would fit for Laurie's general detachment for her to see him as a canary in the coal mine. He really is perfect Michael-bait, constantly trying to be a clown, overly confident, incapable of taking the situation seriously.

When he said he knew martial arts, I was expecting some sad attempt at using them on Michael.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

When he said he knew martial arts, I was expecting some sad attempt at using them on Michael.

I really hoping for that too and/or that somewhere in the house there'd be a photo of him and Busta Rhymes in a dojo and the lack of that is the only flaw in the movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jedit posted:

I would totally listen to a Michael Myers podcast, despite it being nothing but 60 minutes of silence.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I really hoping for that too and/or that somewhere in the house there'd be a photo of him and Busta Rhymes in a dojo and the lack of that is the only flaw in the movie.

The only redeeming part of Halloween 8 is when Busta Rhymes does his stupid martial arts crap, Michael looks at him, and just walks away. I was hoping he just walked out of the movie at that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People say that and I agree but also let's not forget the part where he electrocutes Michael's dick and Michael makes a supernatural ethereal groaning sound. :laffo:

Spatulater bro! posted:

I would totally listen to a Michael Myers podcast, despite it being nothing but 60 minutes of silence.

Uh I believe you mean 60 minutes of heavy breathing?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah, the silence would be the part of the podcast where you have to worry, because it means he's no longer in the studio and he's right loving behind you for god's sake turn around!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

Silence? I would hope he would invite "special guests" onto the programme. You know - Republicans, MRAs, anyone who thinks Beyonce makes soul music.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

People say that and I agree but also let's not forget the part where he electrocutes Michael's dick and Michael makes a supernatural ethereal groaning sound. :laffo:

Resurrection is a pretty solid summary of how loving dire early 00’s horror was when it was at its worst. The entire movie is just bad choices from soup to nuts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spatulater bro! posted:

Semi-related but Halloween Unmasked is pretty good for anyone reading this thread

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna be honest, I don't hate Resurrection anywhere near as much as I probably "should." Like, I'd put it above 4, 5, and 6, because unlike 4 and 5 it's actually trying to do interesting things, and unlike 6 some of those interesting things actually work.

And I'm sorry but Michael getting spinkicked by Busta is loving hilarious. Michael just has the most perfect :wtc: reaction to it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Resurrection is awful overall but it is absolutely better than 5 and 6.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darko posted:

Well he is The Strongest Man....In the World!

Neo Rasa posted:

Hard disagree on it being better than 6. I could argue on it being worse than 5 but that is the definition of wasted energy. Those are easily the two worst entries in the series. I mean Resurrection has Busta Rhymes and Michael getting chumped by him but 5 has Clown Cops and Michael Crying so is a toss.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 22, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

My ranking of Halloween movies goes '78, '18, H20, Resurrection, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jedit posted:

My ranking of Halloween movies goes '78, '18, H20, Resurrection, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6.

Resurrection that high is insanity.

H 1978, H 2018, H2 2009, H2 1980, H3, H4, H20, H 2007, H6, H5, HR

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Loomis gets so irritating in those later Halloween movies

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

My order would go:

Halloween 1978
Halloween 2018
Halloween II 1981
Halloween II 2009
H2O
Halloween 2007
Resurrection

Edit: I left Season of the Witch out because yeah it has Halloween in the title and I think it's good but it's pretty apples to oranges.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 22, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Halloween
Halloween '18 (i really wish they gave it a subtitle, this trend of just keeping the name for sequels is kind of dumb and i dont think its going to age well)
Halloween h20
RZ Halloween
Halloween 3
Halloween 4
RZ Halloween 2
Halloween 2
Halloween 6
Halloween 5
Halloween Resurrection

i feel like after 4 the enjoyment factor just takes a poo poo and starts feeling like bad slasher shlock without any semblance of suspense. 4, even though it was a late sequel, still left enough decent scares in it and felt closer to halloween 1 did than 2. the shot of the cop in the rocking chair keeping watch on the door while you briefly see the shape's mask down the hallway was probably the best shot of the movie to me. 2 just felt like it was trying to be gorier and have a higher body count than it was trying to instill any sense of fear. the rob zombie movies are an acquired taste i think and a lot of the origin story to me, along with his previous work, i just get this sense of bitterness that he never did get to do the Chainsaw remake he very clearly wanted to get his hands on, but I actually liked the movies for what they were as their own separate universe. 3 was a good horror movie that just has the bad luck of having the halloween title on it and may have had more success if it was released as halloween 2 before the series had its identity tied to the shape.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 22, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

oooh, I get to rank

Halloween 1978
Season of the Witch
Halloween 2018
H20
Halloween 4
Rob Zombie Halloweens
Halloween 6
Halloween 2 (I absolutely hate this movie, it looks like crap, wastes Curtis and is basically a bad Ft13th movie)
Halloween 8
Halloween 5

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i feel like after 4 the enjoyment factor just takes a poo poo and starts feeling like bad slasher shlock without any semblance of suspense. 4, even though it was a late sequel, still left enough decent scares in it and felt closer to halloween 1 did than 2. the shot of the cop in the rocking chair keeping watch on the door while you briefly see the shape's mask down the hallway was probably the best shot of the movie to me. 2 just felt like it was trying to be gorier and have a higher body count than it was trying to instill any sense of fear. the rob zombie movies are an acquired taste i think and a lot of the origin story to me, along with his previous work, i just get this sense of bitterness that he never did get to do the Chainsaw remake he very clearly wanted to get his hands on, but I actually liked the movies for what they were as their own separate universe. 3 was a good horror movie that just has the bad luck of having the halloween title on it and may have had more success if it was released as halloween 2 before the series had its identity tied to the shape.

4 is a decent enough followup to 1 and actually looks very good (although as stated earlier in the thread, probably not the right tone for a Halloween movie).

4 and 5 are very similar to NOES 4 and 5, where you get this bright and slickly directed movie and then follow it up with an ugly over-directed movie with a weird and dumb plot device. And then both 6s are basically "what the hell is that."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

6 is such a weird movie because instead of one mediocre movie you're left with two really bad movies. i grew up having watched some of the movies and was excited when i heard h20 was coming out, i had no idea that 6 was even a movie that had only happened two years prior.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

6 is a fascinating piece of poo poo. I love and hate that movie.

Resurrection is irredeemable trash imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rank

Halloween 3
Halloween 18
Halloween 78
Halloween uh...4?
RZ H2

I haven’t rewatched the rest but imagine they swirl around this area.