Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm gonna let analogy chat run until next week, but considering that second-best girl Futaba's arc is next (I believe), I'm willing to lock the thread for a bit if things get too heated.

It doesn’t look like this is gonna stop, and the arguments are only getting dumber. I think it maybe best to just lock the thread until the next episode, or at least give it a time out for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, I still think the complaints aren't well founded, but I'm obviously not convincing anyone here so whatever. What's really getting my goat is describing a harmless genre convention as something as real world harmful as pseudoscience. You're obviously entitled to feel however you want to feel about how the show presents itself in whole and part.

KomeradeCanadian posted:

How about a better thought: do you think we're getting a third reality warper next arc?

It is interesting to me that we've gone from having a phenomenon that seems to be externally imposed on a character (Mai's dropping out of the public perception in an extremely literal way) to one that's being imposed by a character in the rest of the world, or at least a perfect replacement of it. So I'm assuming what we see next won't match either of the first two, but be something altogether different.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

I mean I get that she's a nerd who drinks out of beakers in the chemistry lab, so she wants to use sciency metaphors. But that makes her a dumb nerd misusing sciency metaphors, not someone explaining actually how the magic works.

Her metaphors work as intended, providing a different viewpoint of what is going on that might help Sakuta and ultimately do help him in his situation. Metaphors aren't meant to be equations, just helpful tools for explaining something that may not be easily understood as-is. And her choice for scientific metaphors to use are on-point as each matches the situation at hand very well and can be understood on multiple levels, providing increased entertainment for people who think too literally to understand what she is going for.

paragon1 posted:

It is interesting to me that we've gone from having a phenomenon that seems to be externally imposed on a character (Mai's dropping out of the public perception in an extremely literal way) to one that's being imposed by a character in the rest of the world, or at least a perfect replacement of it. So I'm assuming what we see next won't match either of the first two, but be something altogether different.

Mai's situation was self-imposed. She put herself in the Cat-Box because she no longer wanted to be observed. Also like a cat, she's too dumb to figure out how to get out of the box.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Well, I still think the complaints aren't well founded, but I'm obviously not convincing anyone here so whatever. What's really getting my goat is describing a harmless genre convention as something as real world harmful as pseudoscience. You're obviously entitled to feel however you want to feel about how the show presents itself in whole and part.

Personally I agree with you that these explanations are completely harmless and that some people are getting way too hung up on them, but the back and forth between both sides isn’t really getting anywhere.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Captain Cappy posted:

Mai's situation was self-imposed. She put herself in the Cat-Box because she no longer wanted to be observed. Also like a cat, she's too dumb to figure out how to get out of the box.

Hmm, that's a really good point. And then he resolves the situation by doing something to force Mai to be "observed" by the school and presumably thus the rest of the world.

On a different note one thing that was really impressive to me was how the show managed to make Koga incredibly relatable in this arc. Like drat, my life is nothing like hers but I 100% get feeling the need to way way overthink an upcoming awkward social situation.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
So the whole bunnygirl thing was just her testing the limits of her in-perceptibility? I wouldn't call her dumb, her mother forgot she exists and her name was erased. I don't think there was anything she could do, maybe pay Sakuta to rent a billboard?

Also, crazy prediction: one character will split into several to solve a love triangle. Scientific backing is none, but Doctor Manhattan did it and he's... quantum.

KomeradeCanadian fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 10, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Personally lookin forward to seeing the nonsense explanation for how the Shoko girl time travelled

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

El Burbo posted:

Personally lookin forward to seeing the nonsense explanation for how the Shoko girl time travelled

After Sakuta and her parted ways, she became part of a harem anime, orbiting around a Harem Protagonist. Since Harem Protagonists are the densest things known to man, things orbiting around them experience extreme time dilation. In this manner, the laughable Shoko girl experienced time much more slowly compared to Sakuta and the others. This explains why she appears young compared to everyone else. It also provides an explanation for why nothing of consequence never seems to happen in a Harem anime; to us it may go on for years with no noticeable changes, but to the characters themselves only a day has passed while we observed them.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Look at that pout. That is a strong pout.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The pout game is strong

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
>I need a hairclip to show my love of Tetris

>>I got you fam

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

The pout game is strong

It is, but consider:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm gonna let analogy chat run until next week, but considering that second-best girl Futaba's arc is next (I believe), I'm willing to lock the thread for a bit if things get too heated.
I think the thread managed to more or less pull up and I sorta understand why it got heated for a spell: For a few goons, it kinda felt like a "Please don't do this, show :doh:" moment, since it felt like maybe it could've been done without feeling like an infodump of sorts, but I think that there's a purpose to the explanations, beyond Sakuta and Futaba's funny back and forth that often ensues as a result. It's less a "this is an absolutely proper scientific explanation, 100% solvable" and more of a "Sakuta goes to Futaba for advice, and Futaba gives her advice trying to frame it using things she's familiar with, based on how much or little she got out of what Sakuta told her".

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Look at that pout. That is a strong pout.
Everything about this image is both cute and intensely funny. Thanks for sharing. :3:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 10, 2018

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Can't believe they printed it backwards`

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The show's about weird supernatural things happening that seem to be driven by people's collective beliefs. The silly pseudoscience explanations turn out to be correct because they person observing the phenomena believes the explanations.

there you go

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yay ponytail Futaba time.

Y'all with pseudoscience issues are going to have a loving conniption this episode.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Y'all with pseudoscience issues are going to have a loving conniption this episode.

You got me. I sort of zoned out there. But good ep overall.

ponytail Futaba was good and Mai teasing her boyfriend was very good

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

That one second frame of Kaede when Mai's phone rang gave me chills man.

That's the face of a girl with PTSD.

Anyway another week another great episode. We got more Mai/Sakuta which is always the highlight of the show for me. Futaba looks amazing with a ponytail.

The direction and shot composition is on point.

And the modified ED is great. Like how both Kunimi and Sakuta are there. Can't wait for next week.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah Kaede freaked me out there. I think this arc only has one more episode going for it sadly, because this might be my favourite version of the ED. Her mid-walk costume change is cool as hell.

Also, updated the OP a bit with a good shot of our favourite logical witch.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 14, 2018

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Some real good cattes this episode :3:

Mai and Sakuta moments are also my favorite part of the show, so I'm glad this episode had a lot of them.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah Kaede freaked me out there. I think this arc only has one more episode going for it sadly, because this might be my favourite version of the ED.

If we go off what the BD’s list, then this arc and the next one are only two episodes, while the last one is back to three.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ibblebibble posted:

Powerful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All these comments and nobody posting screencaps

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Okay.

bunnygirlsenpai.jpg

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

TheKingofSprings posted:

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Also, crazy prediction: one character will split into several to solve a love triangle. Scientific backing is none, but Doctor Manhattan did it and he's... quantum.

moshi-moshi! Cassandra desu

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Oh also, girl broth

This series is full of new kinda gross kinda cute euphenisms.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hahaha Mai didn't tell any of her showbiz people that she's dating someone.

It's great because it's in character and hilarious.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh that's not at all how my adult calico reacted when I brought home a kitten.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nasuno has already hissed at Hayate the customary 437 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Sn91t1V4g

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah most cats adjust to kittens pretty quickly. I just acclimated a kitten to an adult cat and it took like, a day.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah most cats adjust to kittens pretty quickly. I just acclimated a kitten to an adult cat and it took like, a day.
I think you're the lucky exception there. Most websites recommend keeping new cats in separate rooms for several days to slowly adapt to each other's smell and eventually sight of each other. My calico is a non-confrontational diva so instead of outright violence it was just several weeks of her keeping the kitten in sight at all times like a creepy stalker and hissing whenever the kitten moved a millimeter closer.

This episode was okay. I'm guessing Futaba split into two versions because of her unrequited romantic tension? One version ignores the guy, the other openly pursues him?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think of it as more one is ignoring her lust and the other is indulging in it.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
And his friend, the object of Futaba's lust is dating the angry ginger, right?

edit: have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2dJQ_fgca4

KomeradeCanadian fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 15, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Now that was a dense episode.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Oh also, girl broth

This series is full of new kinda gross kinda cute euphenisms.

A lady's used bathwater is not a new concept in japan.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g9ihd-d2UY

These girls harmonise very well. Also, Futaba's little glasses push looks ridiculously cool.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 15, 2018

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

I'm guessing there's three Futabas if only because that bit at the start with the Japanese idiom. Doesn't fit with her name (futa = 2), so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g9ihd-d2UY

These girls harmonise very well. Also, Futaba's little glasses push looks ridiculously cool.

whoosh... i had no idea the intros were different

That's gorgeous