Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You know what, I'm actually enjoying SAO now. I haven't scrolled through Reddit or fast forwarded once at my phone once since episode 15. It's not blowing my mind but I'm legit enjoying the show for the first time since the original arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hey, SOMEONE on here has to take one for the team and hate watch that turd. Friend of mine on MAL is doing something similar with the dark fantasy show that must not be named specifically so he can give the most thorough shellacking it deserves and his blog posts and reviews have not disappointed. I greatly look forward to his work on Shield Hero.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the Mother's Rosario arc is legit the best that original recipe SAO gets since Aincrad. As someone who read Alicization, I know that it does have its good bits, but it can be an absolute slog to get through.

Also, there is the "Shows with Slayer in the name" thread that basically got appropriated by Slayers chat (which rules and if you're in the US, you can watch legally for Free on Funi's Youtube Channel), but yeah, if any goon wants to talk Goblin Slayer, by all means go ahead and do so there. Or the Or the Fall Season 2018 thread since it is a fall show. I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

doomrider7 posted:

Hey, SOMEONE on here has to take one for the team and hate watch that turd. Friend of mine on MAL is doing something similar with the dark fantasy show that must not be named specifically so he can give the most thorough shellacking it deserves and his blog posts and reviews have not disappointed. I greatly look forward to his work on Shield Hero.

nobody needs to do this actually

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
im gonna watch wataten cause i want to

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

After subjecting myself to Uzamaid out of morbid curiosity I don't think I'm going to bother with Doga Kobo's next lolicon lesbian show.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Space Flower posted:

im gonna watch wataten cause i want to

he can't keep getting away with it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaYkGlj3PA0

:worship:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

Also if you hatewatch a terrible show just to gripe about how bad it is, maybe don't bother bc we all know the bad show is bad, because we aren't watching it. Spend your time on things you actually like, imo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alicization isn't even worth watching on a "Haha this is dumb but I'm having fun riffing on it" level like the last two seasons.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah it’s just normal good huh.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I barely have time to watch the stuff that I do care about, that seeing "gotta check out Shield Hero lol" is almost offensive to me

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I barely have time to watch the stuff that I do care about, that seeing "gotta check out Shield Hero lol" is almost offensive to me

I've given up trying to watch everything I want to in a season and just binge interesting things later during dry spells or on weekends.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I don't think I'm gonna watch anything this season, that's my pronouncement

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I am pretty blown away by the Mother's Rosario arc. Not only does it use AIDS as a drama device in an effective and respectful manner, it also manages to make an entirely tasteful lesbian joke in the middle of crafting a compelling mother-daughter drama.

I really wish the show was more of this. And not the exploitative incompetence of the other half of the show. This whole arc was brilliant.

Having an ed by Lisa helps too.

Edit: ah gently caress this death scene, I'm legit crying over SAO.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 25, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i watch a lot of terrible garbage, but that's because i enjoy some kinds of terrible garbage.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1077595898656415744?s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Counterargument: Mob Psycho 100.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: Mob Psycho 100.

Just because something is good, does not mean that somebody will want to go watch it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Free my post

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Put it back

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

Also if you hatewatch a terrible show just to gripe about how bad it is, maybe don't bother bc we all know the bad show is bad, because we aren't watching it. Spend your time on things you actually like, imo.

In my friends case it's more of a sense of professionalism and so people can't/don't try the, "but you didn't even watch or finish it" bullshit on his reviews. Outside of that, yeah I'd say give it the ole 3-5 episode try then call it quits when you realise it was crap like you were told all along.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's About Professionalism In Anime Journalism

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:bisonyes:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Studio NUT lol.

Wait, that is not some joke name, they actually named the studio that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Studio NUT lol.

Wait, that is not some joke name, they actually named the studio that?

when u NUT and the show still sucks

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So since I somehow like SAO now I decided to watch the Ordinal Scale movie too, and it was surprisingly good. Decent story, fun action, and and no offensive garbage all the way through. A pretty good movie overall. Aliciazation's gonna have to wait till next year though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ViggyNash posted:

So since I somehow like SAO now I decided to watch the Ordinal Scale movie too, and it was surprisingly good. Decent story, fun action, and and no offensive garbage all the way through. A pretty good movie overall. Aliciazation's gonna have to wait till next year though.

Yeah, like, the logic of the movie still falls apart if you pull at it for more than a few seconds, but it actually has some nice character moments, good visuals, and slightly touches on some of the social issues that arise from AR and the differences between VR and AR

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

Yeah, like, the logic of the movie still falls apart if you pull at it for more than a few seconds, but it actually has some nice character moments, good visuals, and slightly touches on some of the social issues that arise from AR and the differences between VR and AR

It fits together a lot better than I'd expect it to even under the surface level. Also, I like that it found another new perspective to thematically explore the aftermath of SAO with and did that pretty well while also pushing the overall franchise plot in an interesting way, and expands the setting with come pretty cool tech and it's social implications.

It's waaaaay more than I was expecting from an SAO movie.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

A Tin Of Beans posted:

hell,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No bad language on Christmas :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Wark Say posted:

How did that turn out? Heard that it was fairly good, but I couldn't find if it was a weekly/monthly dealio in how it broadcasted.

I'm late as gently caress, but yeah It's pretty solid. It's basically a show about a dude who is good at the game, but ultimately the show is mostly about the Main Character's love of the game he plays and his connections to the Professional Gamer world if. It's also pretty well animated most of the time.
However, the only way I found to watch more than the first Episode recently is to find it one of those random Free Anime Streaming places.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

It fits together a lot better than I'd expect it to even under the surface level. Also, I like that it found another new perspective to thematically explore the aftermath of SAO with and did that pretty well while also pushing the overall franchise plot in an interesting way, and expands the setting with come pretty cool tech and it's social implications.

It's waaaaay more than I was expecting from an SAO movie.
reki kawahara, is a good writer, these days, its just a lot of whats been adapted of sao is from like 15 years ago

the sao progressive novels are really good reads too

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

How did that turn out? Heard that it was fairly good, but I couldn't find if it was a weekly/monthly dealio in how it broadcasted.

I liked it just for animation but there are a lot weird plot holes. Also, a serious imbalance on male and female players 20:2 for an online game. The original writer actually played MMO so it's a semi-reasonable setting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For the last show I get to binge before I have to go do holiday things til next year I decided to watch Megalobox and holy poo poo this might be some of my favorite use of music in an show. Of course it helps that the music is dope as hell too. There needs to be more hip hop in anime.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Youjo Senki looks dumb, much like my posting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Youjo Senki looks dumb, much like my posting.

Yojou Senki is a good show unlike it's protagonist who is a shitbag.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

Yojou Senki is a good show unlike it's protagonist who is a shitbag.

That's honestly the appeal to me. Tanya's sociopathy in this WW1 setting is fascinating to watch. And the light novels have a great hook in that there are 'present day' postwar parts where an investigative journalist tries to find out about tanya and her unit... but all records of her were scrubbed as thoroughly as possible by all sides.

So you wanna know what heinous poo poo tanya did that after the war allies and enemies decided to try and erase her from history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's actually pretty drat bad. Though maybe it should win some sort of award for taking every dumb thing the Germans or Austrians did during WW1 and deciding that no actually the Allies did it to make the protag look better.