Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Holy Christ this show is still amazing. I’m glad Mob is developing as a person and I’m scared at what’s coming given the light tone of these first two episodes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Couldnt stop laughing at the dash granny bit. This show is amazing in so many ways.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/MobPsychoOne/status/1085627750378016768

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

He's going to get all of Twitter possessed at this rate.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

That ending is just full of avatar material.

Also, show is still good. The animation team better get a raise by the end of this.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 17, 2019

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Eat that dog treat, Terror :kimchi:

It's good to see more Mob fights, and Mob fights with actual plot significance even if they're still curb stomps ("Mob exerting his will over others" as character development and "Mob still can't read the room" as a power he really would rather not have)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still haven't watched all of the first season since the actual writing of Mob never grabbed me. What a great adaptation though regardless; you can tell Bones is legit having fun with it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i personally think the writing of mob is my favorite thing about it, but the events of season 1 will play into season 2 so maybe watch the fun recap ova on crunchyroll if you just wanna know like who people are and what happened at the end

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The last few eps of season 1 are definitely must-watch if you're going into season 2.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chii did some cute fanart

https://twitter.com/chii_gid_mtf/status/1087290688809496576?s=19

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm a little bothered by the translation choice of "I wonder if anyone will yell at me" vs "I wonder if anyone could/would stop me" I remember the manga uses, I don't think the former sells Mob questioning the teetering balance of his life.

Still, I love this slow burn of the first three episodes, and I think they kinda test whether you'll pick up what Mob's putting down, the constantly building drama that eventually has to be released

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I also thought that translation was really weird. It almost feels like a punchline.

"If I go crazy one day and start killing people, I wonder if anybody will tell me that that is a no-no and put me in time out?"

Other than that, I loved how the scene with the family of spirits was handled.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

next week is gonna be so good

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Unit24 posted:

I also thought that translation was really weird. It almost feels like a punchline.

"If I go crazy one day and start killing people, I wonder if anybody will tell me that that is a no-no and put me in time out?"

Other than that, I loved how the scene with the family of spirits was handled.

If I hadn't read here that there was a translation discrepancy then I would have thought the line was supposed to be funny.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So glad that the anime continues to be as good as Mob deserves

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It might have been meant to be a joke! I just remember the manga giving me a much starker impression of Mob considering his own power and the ethical use of it and I liked that

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure it's a fairly big translation error. Mob seriously thinking 'If I did something bad, could anyone actually stop me?' is a real holy poo poo moment and the culmination for all the build-up seen in this episode. Mob is being totally serious in the questions he's been asking, which is why Reigen realised him half-assing stuff can't cut it anymore, you're supposed to take it seriously too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think it has a different meaning but I don't know if one or the other is correct. From the way the episode is structured, I'd kinda argue the CR version makes more sense. His issue is not that the others don't have the power to stop him, his issue is that he's morally adrift, he's worried that if he was evil, the people around him wouldn't even recognise it. Like if he nuked the ghost family, Reigen wouldn't even know, only Dimple would and Dimple is hardly a great judge. Ethically he thinks there is a big deal about using his power against the bullies, but all the people on his side think he should just defend himself. The moral certainty around him is being broken down, and no one seems to be an authority any more.

The point is not that he fears he would/could not be stopped, he's validating Reigen's thought, that because he occupies such a different world, he's being relied upon to make moral judgements on his own about things no one else can understand, and that's an awful lot of pressure knowing that even if he was evil, he would not even be yelled at, let alone stopped.

Maybe someone who actually knows Japanese might have a different point of view.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 21, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay yeah here's the unofficial translation

and I don't think that it really disagrees with this interpretation:

Fangz posted:

The point is not that he fears he would/could not be stopped, he's validating Reigen's thought, that because he occupies such a different world, he's being relied upon to make moral judgements on his own about things no one else can understand, and that's an awful lot of pressure knowing that even if he was evil, he would not even be yelled at, let alone stopped.

Mob's realizing that he can really only rely on his own moral compass, and if he ever does stray from it, he's terrified that no one would be able to know or stop him from going any further, much less in an actual physical encounter.

Reigen telling Mob to just follow his feeling is a great sentiment, his time with Emi taught him that same thing, but if his feelings are ever "wrong", the consequences could be terrible

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
These episodes are getting heavier and heavier. Whatever you're all bouncing in your seats for, I don't want any part of it...except I do, because Mob Psycho 100 is fantastic and I don't want to miss a single second.

WRT the translation talk: I did laugh out loud at Mob saying "Will anybody yell at me," though I got the gist of him worrying about whether or not anybody could keep him in line if he flew off the handle. I do agree that "Will anybody be able to stop me" serves the same purpose in a less incongruous manner.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Again, I think the 'will anyone be able to stop me' invites the interpretation that it's about power - as opposed to *moral authority*. In that translation, 'will there be somebody to stop me' is closer to the CR version in intent, I think, which is a bit amusing because it's being misremembered.

EDIT: Having talked to someone who knows Japanese, they think the CR sub is reasonably accurate.

quote:

them:I think it's about right?
them: yell?
them: I mean, that's vague but essentially he's asking if someone will reprimand him if he does lose control
me: so it is reprimand as opposed to 'stop'?
them: or punish
them: the literal translation is "will someone take any action against me for it?"
them: Regardless, if you want my opinion as a working and fluent translator, then I think the implied connotation from the Japanese is "will someone be there to stand up agianst me?"

quote:

Italics is CR subs, Bold are my translations:
もしボクが誰かを呪いたくなったら
If I ever end up wanting to curse someone...
If I ever end up wanting to curse someone... (No change)
もしボクが犯罪に力を利用したら
If I ever end up using my powers for evil...
If I ever end up using my powers to commit crimes...
もしボクが霊じゃなく人を退治したいなんて考えてしまったら
If I ever end up wanting to eradicate people rather than spirits ...
If I ever end up thinking I want to eradicate people instead of spirits...
誰かがボクを懲らしめてくれるのかな?
I wonder if anyone will yell at me for it.
will someone stand up against me?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 22, 2019

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the way fangz explains it makes a lot of sense and i get why they worded it that way, but it just sounds weird on its own

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Yeah, I think "will anyone yell at me?" is a pretty accurate thought pattern for a middle school kid concerned with morality. I think it carries a more clear depiction of Mob's train of thought, because he's a kid.

I get manga readers are probably just jarred by a significantly different translation but I think the line as given by the CR subs has good punch, in part because it's framed "childishly".

It's a reminder that Mob isn't some Superman-style alien, he's a confused kid who's spent a really long time suppressing his emotions and opinions and is now coming to terms with the fact that he doesn't agree with the people who he normally leaned on, and wondering if he's "right" to disagree with them or not.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Anime only person here. Mob's line at the end felt really significant to me. Not jokey at all. I just wanted to give him a hug. He's such a good boy but he has to deal with some serious poo poo.

I lost it at all his friends helping out with his bully though. Especially the body improvement club. They're such fantastic friends.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Each individual boy* in Mob Psycho 100 would be the best boy in any other series easily. So to be the best boy in Mob Psycho is to be the best boy to ever exist be it past, present or future.

And that best boy is Reigen Arataka.

* - not the villains.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It felt like an awkward translation to me. I took it to mean something along the lines of "would anyone even stand up to me enough to tell me what I'm doing is wrong"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that translation did feel like a bit of a stumble.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Reigen owns a lot Holy poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ZenVulgarity posted:

Reigen owns a lot Holy poo poo

Yeah

E: The animation on GHOST DAD turning into a monster only to give up and go into begging position is one of my favorite bits of animation from this show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was super impressed with the voice actress in the first segment: she sounded fuckin scared, then later she sounded convincingly pissed off too.

e:

https://twitter.com/Color_Division/status/1087649403790344192?s=19

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 23, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This was prob my favorite shot of the episode. I remember seeing in trailers and wondering what the heck that scene was.

Turns out it was only a five second mental abstraction! i totally believe them when they said they've hid the best stuff from the PVs

e: the eyecatches have also been really great! i loved this week's of them getting a ride back in the truck, those have all been anime original

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 23, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

a kitten posted:

I was super impressed with the voice actress in the first segment: she sounded fuckin scared, then later she sounded convincingly pissed off too.

e:

https://twitter.com/Color_Division/status/1087649403790344192?s=19

Counterpoint: ONE's Reigen lets Mob have the tv remote.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I've been putting off reading the second half of Mob 100 Psycho just for this show and boy is it delivering. Love every bit of it.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

having the eyecatch actually being a nice little still that progresses the story (in this case having the bro give them a ride back to town) is really good and keeps the episode flowing

mob psycho 100 has a lot of bros in it

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

mabels big day posted:

This was a 100% true post.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im vibrating with excitement, im mad i have to wait another week.

this episode went really fast, the manga had a lot more dialogue, but I don't think anything was skimmed over my favorite shot of the episode was probably the glass breaking behind reigen, just a really good jumpscare bit

also the anime's website has confirmed this season is 13 Episodes

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 28, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I love how Reigen, knowing he's about to get slammed in the ground. Is still clever enough to cup his head in his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mulderman posted:

I love how Reigen, knowing he's about to get slammed in the ground. Is still clever enough to cup his head in his hands.

The man is a pro.