Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just replace the valve, it's simple and does not take a lot of time and the best way to do this repair barring tearing out all that copper and switching your house to pex. Bernzomatic even sells a soldering kit with flux, solder, and torch for like $30, the valve will be like $10 at the most, probably closer to $5.

This basically. Was what I was advised when mine started leaking.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You can try to replace the core and seals in the valve but honestly it's probably corroded and that's why it's leaking.
You've got plenty of pipe to work with, just hack the old valve off, sand the pipe, and sweat on a new valve. ORRRRRR see if you can get a valve that has the shark bite fitting if you don't trust yourself to play with fire.

I successfully used a Shark Bite on the one I'm talking about above. No issues thus far (a year or two.) The one I used had a captive braided steel line to the toilet, though. I don't play around with lines that are constantly under pressure.
I know how to solder - had to fix my water main twice, so far, and got coached by kastein's videos. There's a few things to remember (make it CLEAN!) but it's not hard - but I didn't want to. Mainly due to how cramped that area is in my bathroom.

Elviscat posted:

Rhyno, don't bother trying to sweat a new valve on their, it can be tricky, and any water contamination will gently caress it up, just use one of these guys it installs in like a minute with tools you have, uses a little brass compression ring and nut to clamp on the copper, they work well, and if they go bad are super easy to replace.

Got one of those in the other bathroom. Caveat: the copper needs to be straight and round. And probably clean, too.

keykey posted:

I used compression fittings on my own house back in 2003 and the bathroom pipes are still leak free, they were super easy to install. Slip the 2 parts over pipe, then the valve, screw on with 2 wrenches and done. In all honesty, the shark bit thing seems overpriced and unnecessary.

Maybe, but it's impossible to overtighten a shark bite. You just shove it on. Only thing is to make sure you shove it on far enough (I mark the pipe beforehand. They're even pretty easily removable. That said, compression fittings work fine, and soldering isn't difficult - worth learning, but practice on scrap first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
are we still talking about this? How is this not fixed yet?
We posted sharkbite fittings like 2 hours ago.
Rhyno what the gently caress are you doing with your life? You will spend more time standing in line to pay for the loving thing than you will installing it.

Seriously though. They are a touch pricey, but goodgoddamn they are easy to use and so quick.
They're always a good thing to have on hand, especially if some idiot sawsalls through the pipe and you can't be arsed to go find the shutoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvl4n9obTsU&t=62s

Darchangel posted:

Maybe, but it's impossible to overtighten a shark bite. You just shove it on. Only thing is to make sure you shove it on far enough (I mark the pipe beforehand. They're even pretty easily removable. That said, compression fittings work fine, and soldering isn't difficult - worth learning, but practice on scrap first.

keep in mind that your scrap piece will be pretty small and not have any water in it.
The pipes in your house likely will especially if they're level.
It can take a hilariously long amount of time to sweat a pipe that has even a little bit of water in it nearby. So just be prepared for that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 2, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Because there are hundreds of thousands of bigoted thickos desperately searching for a buttplug of confirmation bias to further stretch out their rectum of ignorant opinions.

I like the way that is an adequate description (presumably - I don't know who he is, either) and gets across an opinion on quality at the same time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

keep in mind that your scrap piece will be pretty small and not have any water in it.
The pipes in your house likely will especially if they're level.
It can take a hilariously long amount of time to sweat a pipe that has even a little bit of water in it nearby. So just be prepared for that.

Oh, definitely. I had to re-do the first joint I did on the water main, because either I still had a little water in there, or, more likely, because the very bottom of the original pipe was still dirty. That's why I stressed the CLEAN! so much. Solder wicks around a clean copper joint like magic. It doesn't do that if it isn't pretty much shiny.
In my defense, the water main was 18" in a hole in my yard, and it was cold (we found the leak when there was no snow in that spot) *and* it was my first rodeo. Second try involved an inspection mirror. The real bitch was that I ran out of propane on a Sunday evening after the home supply stores closed, and, of all things *Walmart* doesn't carry propane bottles. They have the solder, the torch heads, and everything else, but not the propane. I had just enough vintage SolidOx left to use MAPP gas and finish off the joint.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno broke the shitter again. Break out the hot sauce.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Elviscat posted:

You literally cannot seal a hose connection on the threads, because of the swivel joint in the back, also o-ring or gasketed seals are superior to threaded ones in nearly every instance.

Damnit, how am I supposed to have any fun if I can't hide one bad piece of advice in an otherwise solid post?

:colbert:

I realized after taking the picture that the ptfe tape actually served no purpose and removed it. :downs:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 2, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Yes.

I <3 Macho Man. I was him for halloween a couple years ago, randomly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q&t=28s

Ok, here's the rest. Performing his hit single "Be A Man" which is a sick diss track against Hulk Hogan :v:

And the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbcOC5dS5k

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I resolved the totaled WRX replacement project last week in a sensible and not at all midlife-crisis-esque manner, with a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack M6.

PS: need gas money plz see my gofundme

mewse
May 2, 2006

AnnoyBot posted:

I resolved the totaled WRX replacement project last week in a sensible and not at all midlife-crisis-esque manner, with a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack M6.

PS: need gas money plz see my gofundme

Congrats, buy less candles

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to sleep for 5 hours, woke up to a bone dry bucket. Also the flange replacement continues to not leak. Bathroom is almost functional!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rhyno posted:

Went to sleep for 5 hours, woke up to a bone dry bucket. Also the flange replacement continues to not leak. Bathroom is almost functional!

Just poo poo in the bucket next time, it's less hassle than plumbing

Move in day is tomorrow, and we are all freaking out. The room isn't ready, she's not packed, it's too wet to just leave the dogs out tomorrow so we can move, poo poo easily, her family is sure we are going to kill her and has threatened me with the cops 3 times tonight. Hoo boy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey guys (GnarlyCharlie4u in particular), how bad are the EcoBoost F-150s? Stepdad's looking at a 2015 with the 2.7, 50k miles, CPO w/100k drivetrain warranty (via Ford).

I've heard some horror stories about them, but thought they'd fixed most of the issues by 15.

Rhyno posted:

Thought I'd bounce this off you guys before I posted it in DIY

I got the toilet back in the master and while the flange repair works (yay!) the supply valve has started leaking at the knob. When open it's about 3 drops per minute, when closed it's about 1 drop a minute. I have a bucket there for now and it cranked closed so I don't have to dump it every other hour.

Get a quarter turn valve. They make life so much easier when you have to turn poo poo off in the future to replace the fill valve.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

mewse posted:

Congrats, buy less candles

...and the loving battery wouldn't crank it just now. gently caress. I'm tempted to get my money back from Carmax tomorrow, which is the last day to do that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've got CCTV covering my garden at home and there was a murder/manslaughter attempt in my garden last night and my drat CCTV didn't record it...

Unifi clearly make rubbish motion detection software :(

The crime scene:

This is where the recording of the perpetrator cuts off as 60 seconds of buttwiggle.gif isn't enough to trigger motion detection and the actual strike was clearly so fast that it also didn't get captured.

The lovely Unifi software records me 100 videos every day of the sun coming in and out behind clouds and moving the shadows, or bugs flying about but can't record the action that I really want to see :(

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Does anyone know of any good antique/used machinery shops around San Francisco or Los Angeles? I'm heading over there for a vacation this fall, and I want to pick up some small tools if I can find them. Stuff like tap holders, calipers and such. A good vice would be nice as well, but the overweight charges would probably be something else!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

afen posted:

Does anyone know of any good antique/used machinery shops around San Francisco or Los Angeles? I'm heading over there for a vacation this fall, and I want to pick up some small tools if I can find them. Stuff like tap holders, calipers and such. A good vice would be nice as well, but the overweight charges would probably be something else!

Need to ask Lobsterboy if he will give away secrets

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

everdave posted:

Need to ask Lobsterboy if he will give away secrets

How's your noggin these days

edit: almost asked about your noodle, but that could also imply another part

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Where the gently caress did spog go?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A random person say at my table in the pub so I broke taboo and started small talk with them about the weather. Only after I spoke I realised he had headphones in so I frantically hand signalled it wasn't important.

Such is life in United Kingdom

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why would you have headphones in while in the pub?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Move in day is tomorrow, and we are all freaking out. The room isn't ready, she's not packed, it's too wet to just leave the dogs out tomorrow so we can move, poo poo easily, her family is sure we are going to kill her and has threatened me with the cops 3 times tonight. Hoo boy.

I take it they're just not cool with the whole dynamic?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

freelop posted:

A random person say at my table in the pub so I broke taboo and started small talk with them about the weather. Only after I spoke I realised he had headphones in so I frantically hand signalled it wasn't important.

This is the most British post ever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

This is the most British post ever

I see no mention of tea, crumpets or cricket.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cricket is cool, so is tea.

What is a crumpet tho

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What is a crumpet tho

It's a fluffy squidgy bready breakfast thing

Rhyno posted:

I see no mention of tea, crumpets or cricket.

You're obviously not British

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

What is a crumpet tho

It's when you cum in a trumpet

crumpet

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

You're obviously not British

No but I watched lots of Faulty Towers and Are You Being Served so I'm something of an expert.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

An expert would know it was Fawlty Towers

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

What is a crumpet tho

Crunk Trumpet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

What is a crumpet tho

Inside-out English muffin

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

getting awkward when you realize you've misread a social situation lol those wacky Brits, couldn't happen anywhere else

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

No but I watched lots of Faulty Towers

Apparently not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's how we spell it in the colonies.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Alright ladies and gentlemen, here is my followup to my offer from last month:

We had 28 donors in total, and overall we raised something just shy of $1,700 US for some very deserving charities. I am absolutely blown away by your generosity, everyone, well done!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a slight pain in my shoulder and elbow and I saw here worrying about a visit to the doctor for a good 5 minutes before I remember that I have really good insurance now.

Despite 9 months at this job I still slip back into the mindset of "being sick will ruin ne" I had at my old job.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there an ai discord?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What is a crumpet tho

Hayley Atwell

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I’m just slightly mind blown that you weirdos solder wear items like taps directly onto your water pipes... has the idea of a threaded socket not made it to the US yet?

I don’t think I’ve EVER seen hard attached fittings in any Australian build. Sure, some of the nearly 100yr old places with galvanised pipes may as well be welded on now with rust but even they were threaded to start with!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

freelop posted:

Hopefully you sat there getting silently more and more infuriated that they were eating your packet of biscuits, only to realize later that your packet was underneath your folded copy of The Times' crossword puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

always be closing posted:

Is there an ai discord?

There are several accords

:haw: