Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I always get a laugh out of the scene with
"Jesus! You were going to kill that guy!"
"Of course; I'm a Terminator."

It's goofy but totally in-character for this essentially mindless killing machine that has just been told to "take care of these guys". And the joke goes into actual character development for the Terminator and especially John, who moments ago was thrilled about having this insanely powerful murdertoy at his disposal, and now realises that holy poo poo, this is actually a huge responsibility and I have to be careful with it.

It also sets up the scene later where he brutally maims an entire SWAT team. That scene would have been less painful if he'd actually been killing them instead of blasting kneecaps and capping guys with gas rounds.

I do always like the readout reading "Casualties: 0.0" after he blasts their cars with the minigun. What counts a fraction of a casualty?

Edit: I do think the film pulled its punches a little with him not killing any of the bikers in the bar. They offered much more resistance than the three punks in the first film's intro and he punched through one of their chest cavities. I get that they wanted to establish that Arnold was the hero, but I mean, they're bikers, cinema's generic bad guys.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They didn't explicitly show that all of the bikers survived, right?

I think the reason the comedy works in T2 is more Cameron's underrated comedic directing than anything else. True Lies is basically an entire movie as an extension of T2's comedy and it mostly works really well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Cameron has done this with every Terminator project he hasn't been involved in: Prior to release, he goes all "Yeah, I've seen it, it's really true to the spirit of the franchise and they did a great job."

Then a month after the turd drops, he reverses course and says, "I have no loving idea what they were trying to do."

Cameron is executive producing this one, not just nebulously offering his blessing.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Cameron is executive producing this one, not just nebulously offering his blessing.

Has the extent of his involvement been spelled out? I'm curious how much time he takes away from his Avatar sequels and how much he has left in the tank to be a positive influence in this production.

Avatar was a huge success of course, but it also had a very easily criticized story carried by amazing effects. We're 10 years removed from the first one and it'll be interesting to see if he's still got "it" or if he's gone down his own George Lucasian path, except unlike Star Wars, Avatar has no where name the same level of social capital.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

I unironically love this scene and it's better than anything else in that movie.

Oh by far and I don't even particularly dislike Terminator 3.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Has the extent of his involvement been spelled out? I'm curious how much time he takes away from his Avatar sequels and how much he has left in the tank to be a positive influence in this production.

Avatar was a huge success of course, but it also had a very easily criticized story carried by amazing effects. We're 10 years removed from the first one and it'll be interesting to see if he's still got "it" or if he's gone down his own George Lucasian path, except unlike Star Wars, Avatar has no where name the same level of social capital.

Well, Stan Lee had exec producer credits on most of the Marvel movies, while also blind and in his 90's, so executive producer can mean a lot of things, including "We'll pay you to put your name on this."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Narzack posted:

Remember, he also thought AvP was great

James Cameron liked AvP? Wow he has good tastes.

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/22405

quote:

QUINT: I remember before Paul W.S. Anderson did ALIEN VS PREDATOR it came out that you kind of made an offer to do another ALIEN film with Ridley Scott...
JAMES CAMERON: Yeah. Ridley and I talked about doing another ALIEN film and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th ALIEN film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, "We've got this really good script for ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I got pretty upset. I said, "You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind." Because to me, that was FRANKENSTEIN MEETS WEREWOLF. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.
QUINT: Milking it, totally.
JAMES CAMERON: Milking it. So, I stopped work. Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.

OMG

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think it is kinda nebulous in what an executive producer does. I looked up what they are on wikipedia and it doesn't seem like they do alot more than generate the funding. I kinda doubt its more than just name only.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 6, 2019

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
"Third best Alien movie" is one hell of a backhanded compliment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not really. There are four excellent Alien movies (well, three with Alien in the title) and one okay one, none of which are AvP.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really. There are four excellent Alien movies (well, three with Alien in the title) and one okay one, none of which are AvP.

Well at the time it was just Alien, Aliens, Cubed, Resurrection, and AvP

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can try to act like disowned movie Alien Cubed is good, but the rotoscoping is not laugh-out-loud funny enough to make up for mentally ill bald guy Highlander.

That being said, at least it's a college try and not AVP

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Well at the time it was just Alien, Aliens, Cubed, Resurrection, and AvP

He probably wasn't counting his own movie so it was probably a super backhanded compliment.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alien 3 at least has Charles Dance and Pete Postlethwaite who always own

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darko posted:

He probably wasn't counting his own movie

He was definitely counting his own movie.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
There are only two good Alien movies, the first and second. I'll die on this hill. Though, the AvP games from 98 and. . .03? were good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally saw the trailer for this, before King of the Monsters.

Oh goodie, two terminators we've seen beaten before. Three if you count Arnie. Four if you count butch lady who looks like she's doing a Sam Worthington from Salvation as a terminator who thinks she's human.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

He was definitely counting his own movie.

When he was talking to Scott he self depreciated Aliens and said Alien was way better and he couldn't even touch what Scott did.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darko posted:

When he was talking to Scott he self depreciated Aliens and said Alien was way better and he couldn't even touch what Scott did.

That doesn't require him to be anything more than honest.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drew Curtis’ Fark Date

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't know, I feel like Cameron genuinely liking AvP makes sense when you think about where his sensibilities lie. It's a big dumb popcorn action movie in a way that most of both franchises kinda aren't (the Predator movies tend to be somewhat lower-key, for all their perception).

If he's just talking personal taste, I can see it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It just doesn't really match his taste on the sci fi series he did. I think he only barely mentioned AvP in passing in the aliens episode, just like he mostly ignored any Terminator he had nothing to do with in the time travel one. Yet, he really focused on or gushed about stuff like Blade Runner, Robocop, Interstellar, and Starship Troopers - his tastes seem to pretty much jibe with the majority here.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The fact that the Terminators are sentient killing machines who don't really desire to be human yet can change and grow is one of the best parts of the mythos. It's something the TV series explores, the idea that, no matter what, a Terminator is a killing machine. On some level, it wants to kill. Not out of malice or anything, but just because that's what they were made to do - it's what they are. That "Of course" line is right on that.

I thought it was cool how the TV series explored the T1000s with Shirley Manson's character and showed that even Skynet was afraid of what it had created since they reached sentience. It kinda put Skynet in the same position that humans were in.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

AceOfFlames posted:

Yes. Specifically they arrive at the top secret bunker where Skynet's core was supposedly located and there's nothing there: both Kate's dad and the T-800 tricked them into going there to ride out Judgement Day because Skynet doesn't have a core: Skynet is a completely decentralized system whose software was embedded in every device ever connected to the Internet, and thus impossible to destroy. It's great because it plays with how technology evolved since the first two films in a way that helps the story.

Terminator 3 at least kept the loving R rating too.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

I thought it was cool how the TV series explored the T1000s with Shirley Manson's character and showed that even Skynet was afraid of what it had created since they reached sentience. It kinda put Skynet in the same position that humans were in.

There was the bit where Shirley Manson turned into a urinal and a guy pissed in her, then she killed him.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Quote-Unquote posted:

There was the bit where Shirley Manson turned into a urinal and a guy pissed in her, then she killed him.

:laffo: I totally forgot about that scene. I should rewatch that show sometime, it had its moments. John Connor having an uncomfortably sexually-framed scene where he's fist-deep in the female Terminator's guts was another highlight for me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wild T posted:

:laffo: I totally forgot about that scene. I should rewatch that show sometime, it had its moments. John Connor having an uncomfortably sexually-framed scene where he's fist-deep in the female Terminator's guts was another highlight for me.

The urinal scene is probably the single worst scene in TSCC. I did a a pretty thorough rewatch in TV/IV a year or two ago. The bizarre relationship between John and Cameron is definitely a highlight, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

James Cameron liked AvP? Wow he has good tastes.

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/22405

OMG

I think it is kinda nebulous in what an executive producer does. I looked up what they are on wikipedia and it doesn't seem like they do alot more than generate the funding. I kinda doubt its more than just name only.

The thing that pisses me off the most about this is Cameron getting the name of the movie wrong, it's Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man, not the Werewolf, and that movie is loving great! Why the hell is Cameron dissing it?! I bet he doesn't like Abbott and Costello meet the Wolf Man either.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

The thing that pisses me off the most about this is Cameron getting the name of the movie wrong, it's Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man, not the Werewolf, and that movie is loving great! Why the hell is Cameron dissing it?! I bet he doesn't like Abbott and Costello meet the Wolf Man either.

I guess I can understand the concern, because when Universal started using the monsters for laughs it was the end(at least for a long while) of any opportunities to use them in serious horror films. The fact that those movies often ended up being really fun and entertaining doesn't matter so much to another director, in this case Cameron, who might have more of an interest in treating the subject seriously. And once the studio sees the monsters as fodder for jokes it becomes hard to convince them that it's worth getting serious again.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Alien 3 at least has Charles Dance and Pete Postlethwaite who always own

Postlethwaite is basically an extra in that movie.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Geara of war 5 dark fate tie in content trailer from e3

https://youtu.be/kSaZPvtSIBs

Pretty meh on the idea since its most likely multiplayer skins but a t800 with a lancer is a drat good image.

Rumor still has a t800 in MK11 as well as ash williams.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Speaking of which, Salvation itself is dogshit but it has a not horrible Gears clone based on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecr2WN3H9rs

T-800 and Ash Williams would be amazing in MK11. They could have the Terminator rip folks hearts out as described/briefly seen in T1.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Reddit has multiple sources leaking the plot from an early test screening in LA.

e: vvv, yeah I noticed that too, but if anyone's interested in plot spoilers, it's there.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 11, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Reddit has multiple sources leaking the plot from an early test screening in LA.

It's also a magnet for alt-right shitheads because it's another woman-led cast and that can't be allowed to stand.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's also a magnet for alt-right shitheads because it's another woman-led cast and that can't be allowed to stand.

But...Terminator has been that way since day 1.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The plot sounds absolutely garbage.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The plot sounds absolutely garbage.

It's a Terminator movie made after 1991, so of course it's absolute garbage.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

But...Terminator has been that way since day 1.

When screaming into the void because women won't have sex with you, being sensible or using facts is just frustrating.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Y'all can't just say it sucks, throw it behind spoiler tags.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

l33tfuzzbox posted:

https://youtu.be/kSaZPvtSIBs

Pretty meh on the idea since its most likely multiplayer skins but a t800 with a lancer is a drat good image.

Rumor still has a t800 in MK11 as well as ash williams.

There's also some kind of Terminator thing coming to Ghost Recon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Y'all can't just say it sucks, throw it behind spoiler tags.

Behold the dark fate. I've gone through it and consolidated the various leaks, and cut out the weird alt-right parts.

Dark Fate opens immediately post T2 with Sarah and John in a bar deciding where to go next. A T-800 arrives and blows John Connor away.

Jump to modern day. Sarah VO says that they stopped Skynet, but it sent many Terminators back to find John. Another T-800 came back with the T-1000 which is the one that killed John.

In the modern day, Grace (essentially a Marcus-type Terminator) is protecting Daniella from the Rev-9. Sarah arrives and saves them because she's been receiving mysterious texts with coordinates on them corresponding to evil Terminators. Grace has those same coordinates on her body. They follow them and find the T-800 who killed John, who has developed something of a conscience after killing John and calls himself Carl. He's the one sending Sarah the texts.

With Skynet prevented, there is now an evil AI called Legion (anti-terrorist program, essentially Skynet) which has sent the Rev-9 back.

They team up to fight the Rev-9. The Rev-9 kills Grace. Sarah pulls out her power core and Carl the T-800 uses it to kill himself and the Rev-9.

There are future war scenes. Linda and Arnold and Mackenzie give good performances. No Terminator theme on the soundtrack.