Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

The F-35 isn't quite as bad as people assume.

It's just the victim of a hillariously gamed procurement process and a pretty sketchy rollout, but the F111 killed loads of pilots and cost shitloads more than it was supposed to, and the RAAF apparently loved the poo poo out of it.

It has gotten cheaper as production has ramped up (although we're probably still paying the 2012 pricing for it because Liberals) and it IS notably better than the F18 it's replacing, in terms of range and loiter time. It's still arguably of little use to us but good luck convincing anyone in government not to buy fighter jets.

I'd still rather we didn't buy any. They're probably not going to fall out of the sky, and they are definitely not inferior to anyone else's planes; it's just that if we ever had to use them in anger, we'd never be able to put enough of them into the air to make any difference.

gb2gip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
can't wait for air forces to go back to using prop planes due to running out of money for increasingly expensive jets.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
They'd be about as useful to us in a shooting war with anyone in our part of the world. The only thing we use fighter jets for is following America into Pointless War #2437.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

if we ever had to use them in anger, we'd never be able to put enough of them into the air to make any difference.

They link directly to US Skynet a divert to defend the United States automatically

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

its ablo

its albo time

albo

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
im a young ablo man

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
A
L
B
O

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Reality check time. How will Albo get past the fact that he recently split up with his partner? Who will he parade around during the election when trying to convince people of his family values?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
australians dont really care about that poo poo. when has it ever come up in a campaign before?

thats more of an american line of attack

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I mean. Barnaby is still around

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Slugnoid posted:

australians dont really care about that poo poo. when has it ever come up in a campaign before?

thats more of an american line of attack

Don’t they? When was the last time a candidate for prime minister wasn’t at least attached, even cursorily like Gillard? Even Hawke had Hazel, much to her admirable sacrifice.

Its not even a line of attack for the LNP, I doubt they would bother and everybody seems to have some sort of truce about not dragging family into politics, but I definitely think it’d be causing some second guessing in the Labor party.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Don Dongington posted:

The F-35 isn't quite as bad as people assume.

It's just the victim of a hillariously gamed procurement process and a pretty sketchy rollout, but the F111 killed loads of pilots and cost shitloads more than it was supposed to, and the RAAF apparently loved the poo poo out of it.

It has gotten cheaper as production has ramped up (although we're probably still paying the 2012 pricing for it because Liberals) and it IS notably better than the F18 it's replacing, in terms of range and loiter time. It's still arguably of little use to us but good luck convincing anyone in government not to buy fighter jets.

I'd still rather we didn't buy any. They're probably not going to fall out of the sky, and they are definitely not inferior to anyone else's planes; it's just that if we ever had to use them in anger, we'd never be able to put enough of them into the air to make any difference.

Putting like 2 planes in the air is enough to make a huge difference bud.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

NTRabbit posted:

Hi please don't blame the staff at centrelink please blame the politicians and at least some of the executive levels thanks

don't worry, we don't

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

Putting like 2 planes in the air is enough to make a huge difference bud.

I mean sure*

*Provided whatever they're intercepting is within 1000km of wherever they're based

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Les Affaires posted:

Reality check time. How will Albo get past the fact that he recently split up with his partner? Who will he parade around during the election when trying to convince people of his family values?

he's literally a bastard

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Could be worse.

At least we arent the US or the UK

Give it time. It's Australia. Things move slower and with less intensity but mostly imitate our larger cousins.

As suggested in this article, Shorten was Aus labor's Miliband. Use that to judge how many years we are behind the UK and extrapolate out to predict a date for when we catch up to them, which (if my calculations are correct) will involve an election where a completely failed lnp still decisively beats an improved labor but falls behind a new fringe right party formed when Pauline Hanson walks away from her own party to start a new even more narrowly focused but equally nationalistic one.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i'm looking forward to when we leave the QU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/27/its-a-myth-that-aussie-battlers-handed-the-coalition-its-election-victory

quote:

The Coalition remains disproportionately the party of high-income business owners and the Labor party lower-income workers, the disabled and low-income parents.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Moon Atari posted:

Give it time. It's Australia. Things move slower and with less intensity but mostly imitate our larger cousins.

As suggested in this article, Shorten was Aus labor's Miliband. Use that to judge how many years we are behind the UK and extrapolate out to predict a date for when we catch up to them, which (if my calculations are correct) will involve an election where a completely failed lnp still decisively beats an improved labor but falls behind a new fringe right party formed when Pauline Hanson walks away from her own party to start a new even more narrowly focused but equally nationalistic one.

As an expat economic immigrant from the UK, it really does seem remarkable how closely Australia tends to follow UK political trends. Generally about 5 years back. Good news because everything is going just great there at the moment!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I can’t wait for breaking news that Morrison hosed a pig at uni.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Small statue of Bill Shorten in Scott's office with "I stopped him" underneath next to the boat statue.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Many of these claims are based on confusion between aggregate movements in vote choice and the behaviour of individuals. They find that electorates with lower than average incomes, lower levels of education, and more renters, moved towards the Coalition. Besides linking (often small) swings with overall levels of support, they are also committing ecological fallacies.
All this data tells us is that electorates with these characteristics swung towards the Coalition. You cannot make inferences about individuals from aggregate data.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anthony Albanese is in Cairns at the moment drinking beer with locals at 8:50AM.

I poo poo you not the press pack is with him on Sky and he is drinking beer at 8:50AM with locals who seem to do this NORMALLY

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Anidav posted:

Anthony Albanese is in Cairns at the moment drinking beer with locals at 8:50AM.

I poo poo you not the press pack is with him on Sky and he is drinking beer at 8:50AM with locals who seem to do this NORMALLY

Queensland strong

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

To be fair, if I lived in Cairns I'd start drinking at 8:50am too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

when in qld

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I’m in country nsw and some pubs open at 8 30.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Anidav posted:

Small statue of Bill Shorten in Scott's office with "I stopped him" underneath next to the boat statue.

What gets me about that "I stopped these" trinket is just how incredibly boring and tasteless it is on a physical level. It's not even a model, just a cheap-as-poo poo laser-cut outline of a cartoon boat. Not a depiction of anything real, but a flat image.

Just like his public persona I guess

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Don Dongington posted:

I mean sure*

*Provided whatever they're intercepting is within 1000km of wherever they're based

I really think it needs to be a bit more macro viewed than this. The F35 is hilariously ridiculous in its process to getting here but essentially the very reason why we support it (close ties with the US) is the very reason we don’t need it (close ties with the US.

We have it so that tie remains strong, the annoying part is dumb forever wars by idiot US presidents but if we ever got into anything the US would be there in two seconds

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
We...shouldn't be drinking at 8:50AM? Any union goons have experience with United Voice? Are they pretty helpful? I might need their help sometime soon.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

It won’t be a problem because he’s not a woman.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

What gets me about that "I stopped these" trinket is just how incredibly boring and tasteless it is on a physical level. It's not even a model, just a cheap-as-poo poo laser-cut outline of a cartoon boat. Not a depiction of anything real, but a flat image.

Just like his public persona I guess

I was thinking about this too. Part of me thinks it was given as kind of a joke gift and he took it seriously. I can't believe they really think the policy is about saving lives at sea so the statue is commemorating what? The successful poisoning of the discourse with the phrase "stop the boats"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tarantula posted:

We...shouldn't be drinking at 8:50AM? Any union goons have experience with United Voice? Are they pretty helpful? I might need their help sometime soon.

UV are great if you're in an industry that they're active in, otherwise they're poo poo. What kind of work?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

United Voice doesn't exist anymore though. You need to join uWu

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

EoinCannon posted:

I was thinking about this too. Part of me thinks it was given as kind of a joke gift and he took it seriously. I can't believe they really think the policy is about saving lives at sea so the statue is commemorating what? The successful poisoning of the discourse with the phrase "stop the boats"

He definitely had it made himself. He even gave one to Roman Quaedvlieg.

https://twitter.com/quaedvliegs/status/1042893343645024256

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep/22/we-stopped-these-roman-quaedvlieg-says-scott-morrison-gave-him-boat-trophy

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

JBP posted:

UV are great if you're in an industry that they're active in, otherwise they're poo poo. What kind of work?

In security (kind of, basically a parking officer), never had to lean on the union for anything before.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

United Voice doesn't exist anymore though. You need to join uWu

The merger isn't done. It's UV for the time being. There may be improvements to their organising when they join with NUW because their organisers might be allowed to learn how to do things other than pressure sales.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Mad Katter posted:

To be fair, if I lived in Cairns I'd start drinking at 8:50am too.

Cairns resident here. Can confirm existence is pain and I do everything I can to dull it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

JBP posted:

The merger isn't done. It's UV for the time being. There may be improvements to their organising when they join with NUW because their organisers might be allowed to learn how to do things other than pressure sales.

All mergers should be settled by who can sing Solidarity Forever the best, the winner takes all (and redistributes it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol after being returned to the Senate, Sinodinos immediately retired to enable himself to be appointed Ambassador to the US, and Jim Molan will almost certainly be chosen to fill the vacancy. lmao lol lol