Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The French also had a top notch Intel agency during the cold war, on par with Mossad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

France is overall a very competent nation politically, economically, and militarily. The “cheese eating surrender monkey” reputation is really undeserved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

D-d-d-d-double post!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 7, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

CommieGIR posted:

The French also had a top notch Intel agency during the cold war, on par with Mossad.

The Poles had a very underrated cold war Intel agency as well. They ran a lot of ops against the Soviets tho...

Cuba managed some very high level penetrations of the United States as well.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Midjack posted:

France is overall a very competent nation politically, economically, and militarily. The “cheese eating surrender monkey” reputation is really undeserved.

The whole "Americans hating on the French" thing is super recent, and mainly due to them not going along with a lot of our bullshit.

However, Charles de Gaulle was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and an idiot.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Cheese eating surrender monkey started around the time before Iraq 2: This Time We Mean It, when Americans started buying champagne to pour it down the sewers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Cheese eating surrender monkey started around the time before Iraq 2: This Time We Mean It, when Americans started buying champagne to pour it down the sewers.

The first time it appeared anywhere was an episode of the Simpsons in 1995

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Midjack posted:

I think that they have some very painfully learned institutional knowledge built into their structure that Americans just don't have due to pure hubris.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

The whole "Americans hating on the French" thing is super recent, and mainly due to them not going along with a lot of our bullshit.

However, Charles de Gaulle was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and an idiot.

de Gaulle was poo poo.

The French fought hard to stall the Germans at Dunkirk, despite their High Command just throwing up their hands in despair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird cooch posted:

All of my interactions with the French military boiled down to three points.

1.the french are dicks

2.the french are good at their jobs.

3. The dick french that are good at their jobs will run you the gently caress over if you aren't good at yours and leave you there, come what may.

My uncle, a stereotypical republican, was some sort of USMC staff officer at Kandahar and told me in all seriousness that he'd rather work with the French than the Army.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My favorite response to folks raving about how those cowardly French always surrender is to point out that the American Revolution would have been a failed footnote in history if France join in due to their love of loving up the British. Then give us a huge sum of cash to get started and a fancy statue to boot. Y'all can thank Ben Franklin's penis for that.

Also, never forget that Republican hawks in Congress had their cafeteria rename French fries to 'Freedom Fries' after France refused to help us invade Iraq again.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Wild T posted:

Then give us a huge sum of cash to get started and a fancy statue to boot. Y'all can thank Ben Franklin's penis for that.

Franklin was certainly a good, well respected diplomat but the French desire to gently caress over the British was more about hard feelings after they lost the French and Indian War/Seven Years' War. The funniest part of the whole deal was that the French king was basically responsible for radicalizing and training up the same people who would eventually cut his head off. Probably not the outcome he envisioned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scratch Monkey posted:

Franklin was certainly a good, well respected diplomat but the French desire to gently caress over the British was more about hard feelings after they lost the French and Indian War/Seven Years' War. The funniest part of the whole deal was that the French king was basically responsible for radicalizing and training up the same people who would eventually cut his head off. Probably not the outcome he envisioned.

Let them eat cake stoke revolt in the British colonies!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The French playing themselves out of spite is really the most French thing they could possibly do.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Ah, yes the era of “Freedom Fries”, around 2003 when the French said invading Iraq is dumb and pointless, but pretty much every US politician on both sides of the aisle was reading from the same one page talking point flyer about WMD and Iraq Bad, Invade!

Worked out well.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Louis XVI, in the bonnet rouge, the french revolutionary cap. The French Revolution gets loving weird at points, but one of them is Louis XVI pretending that he's pro-revolution.

Idiot story: As I'm driving three people to the bus station who just got fired, one for stealing beer from a store not too far away from center, two for drugs, two of them start talking about enlisting, one in the Navy, the other Army. :cripes:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Scratch Monkey posted:

Thats the natural progression of power.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

A White Guy posted:

Louis XVI, in the bonnet rouge, the french revolutionary cap. The French Revolution gets loving weird at points, but one of them is Louis XVI pretending that he's pro-revolution.

Idiot story: As I'm driving three people to the bus station who just got fired, one for stealing beer from a store not too far away from center, two for drugs, two of them start talking about enlisting, one in the Navy, the other Army. :cripes:

How many did you mentor? Did you read the Sailors Creed to any of these individuals?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

de Gaulle was poo poo.

The French fought hard to stall the Germans at Dunkirk, despite their High Command just throwing up their hands in despair.

DeGaulle was a junior guy who got an honorary promotion for annoying high command enough to the point they gave him some tanks and said “nothing else is working, might as well try your dumb ideas”. He then went on to use that honorary title to make himself into a big deal to the Allies as a political figurehead, which to me seems very much in the spirit of this thread.

I’d also point out that most French people nowadays really don’t like him for his many other big idiot moves.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CommieGIR posted:

You must have seen "A very secret service" on Netflix

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flikken posted:

You must have seen "A very secret service" on Netflix

Actually read a couple books. Ill dig up titles.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The French lost to the dirt poor Algierians who received little material support from the outside world

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The French lost to the dirt poor Algierians who received little material support from the outside world

Insurgencies are tough, OK?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

They had a whole para regiment revolt and start planning a drop on Paris too. Didn't happen of course, but imagine that happening in the US military.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CommieGIR posted:

Actually read a couple books. Ill dig up titles.

A very secret service is a comedy, and it's really good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flikken posted:

A very secret service is a comedy, and it's really good.

I will check it out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

canyoneer posted:

Insurgencies are tough, OK?

Not claiming otherwise. Just like pointing out fallibility.

Look at us, almost as cool as the French.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The French had torrid nasty affairs with it that ended quickly and badly. We decided to drag it out onto loveless, sexless marriages of convenience.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If only we had that French passion

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Check out this badass idiot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliahu_Itzkovitz

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
That guy is a goddamn badass.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
that fuckin owns

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Rat posted:

They had a whole para regiment revolt and start planning a drop on Paris too. Didn't happen of course, but imagine that happening in the US military.

Airborne being useful, now thats a fantasy.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Cenen posted:

Edit: the French still have a waaaay more competent military than England in like every aspect still though.

UK SOF is hella good, UK conventional forces in RC-SW were a goddamn joke. French in RC-E hosed all sorts of TB up, I believe they sustained the second most casualties after US, at a rate way above their troop numbers warranted. It wasn't cause they were bad, it was cause they were always looking to fight. Unlike ze Germans up in RC-N.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

A White Guy posted:

Louis XVI, in the bonnet rouge, the french revolutionary cap.

This silly hat actually has a much longer history than that. It's a phrygian cap, which has been the symbol of a freedman or of liberty in general since the ancient Greeks. You can see it in lots of official seals and state flags here in the US.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think some details are missing here.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Flying_Crab posted:

I think some details are missing here.

Like how much he made that nazi gently caress suffer? I too would be interested in hearing about that.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Scratch Monkey posted:

Like how much he made that nazi gently caress suffer? I too would be interested in hearing about that.

He emptied his MAT-49 magazine into the dude after confirming his identity in the middle of a firefight.

e: I came across the story in Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 8, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

He emptied his MAT-49 magazine into the dude after confirming his identity in the middle of a firefight.

An excerpt from Fall’s Street Without Joy that has the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm bemused that he didn't face any punishment from the FFL for intentional fratricide, but the IDF gave him a year in prison for deserting to get revenge on the concentration camp guard who killed his family. Like, what the gently caress Israel? You should have thrown the man a parade in Tel Aviv.