Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

When a hoss no-sells their opponent's strikes, goading them to hit harder, and then proceeds to turn them inside out with a lariat

This reminds me of when a guy no-sells a strike, goads them to hit harder, but instead of absorbing more shots the next strike knocks them on their rear end. That is a cool thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Blind tags rule, too

I like blind tags where the team is a "team of rivals who don't get along"(tm). I especially like it when the guy on the outside tags in, and the guy on the inside looks aggrieved and they argue, with the ref having to break them up,

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I like blind tags where the team is a "team of rivals who don't get along"(tm). I especially like it when the guy on the outside tags in, and the guy on the inside looks aggrieved and they argue, with the ref having to break them up,

Related, when they tag out by basically chopping their partner in the chest.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

DeathChicken posted:

Guys who are on the Total Loser tier of wrestlers pulling off shock wins is great stuff. 1-2-3 Kid over Razor Ramon, Barry Horowitz over Skip.

Hell they don't even have to win, just make it close. Mr. Perfect had squash matches on Superstars where the jobber would somehow kick the poo poo out of him, until he went into serious mode and ended it.

Slight variation, and he didn’t get the win, but the TAKA vs HHH title match when TAKA hires the APA to watch his back is one of my favorite one of these.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

When a wrestler walks into the ring thinking it's a squash match but their opponent shows tremendous fighting spirit that earns their respect

BikerTaker/Jeff Hardy was exactly this and drat did it rule

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Ric Flair climbing the turnbuckle and having it backfire on him

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

You. Can’t. Powerbomb. Kidman.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wrestlers using the camera as a weapon, especially a camera on a crane!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mister Perky posted:

Ric Flair climbing the turnbuckle and having it backfire on him
I remember it once didn't backfire against Carlito and the GDT flipped the gently caress out.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I remember it once didn't backfire against Carlito and the GDT flipped the gently caress out.

It is apparently a callback to Flair's 1st World Championship win, in which he successfully came off the top rope for the finish.

It's a clever bit of long term storytelling, then, to have Flair never give up on the tactic that worked so well the first time no matter how many times it's failed him since, but it requires periodically explaining/reminding the audience of that bit of trivia to provide context, which is just the sort of historical acknowledgment wrestling has always been deliberately bad at providing (especially Vince), and so without that it just becomes this dumb thing Flair inexplicably always does.

J.J. Sefton
Jun 30, 2005
The Tower Of Power, Too Sweet To Be Sour
Heels cutting off hot tags.

Babyfaces waiting for the hot tag clapping their hands or stomping their feet on the apron to inspire the fans to do the same.

Heels pointing to their heads to indicate their intelligence.

Heels overselling offense during the babyface comeback.

Wrestler/manager mugging in the background while their partner/charge cuts a promo(Missy Hyatt was great at this).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I always remember the Flair vs Edge TLC match on Raw because it was so awesome and against his skill set

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

J.J. Sefton posted:

Babyfaces waiting for the hot tag clapping their hands or stomping their feet on the apron to inspire the fans to do the same.

Hell yes

Heels overselling their reaction to a face bringing back or teaming up with a heel's former partner.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If Flair was wrestling as a face, he'd hit the top rope move

If he was wrestling as a heel, he'd always get caught.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

J.J. Sefton posted:

This reminds me of the gif of Undertaker waiting for a hot tag, running back and forth like a crazy person and dumping bottles of water on his head. This may have also been the match where he accidentally set himself on fire during his entrance

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeathChicken posted:

This reminds me of the gif of Undertaker waiting for a hot tag, running back and forth like a crazy person and dumping bottles of water on his head. This may have also been the match where he accidentally set himself on fire during his entrance

the former was a house show, the latter was an elimination chamber ppv

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
when a babyfaces music hits and the heel hops in place and draws his arms up like hes in scooby doo. see: every Jeff Jarrett segment

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

J.J. Sefton posted:

Wrestler/manager mugging in the background while their partner/charge cuts a promo(Missy Hyatt was great at this).

Roman Reigns mugging in the background while Ambrose cut a promo about literally rearranging Rollins' face. Good poo poo.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Roman Reigns mugging in the background while Ambrose cut a promo about literally rearranging Rollins' face. Good poo poo.

Someone please post the gif

Y'all know the one

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

blast0rama posted:

I feel this is such an understated rule in wrestling.

Also, the concept that unless reversed either as soon as it happens (or they either hold onto the ropes on the first rebound or jump over or through them after the first bound to attack someone outside the ring), an Irish whip will never end and the whipped wrestler will be doomed to run the ropes over and over until they're out of stamina. Sheamus did it to Curtis Axel one time and it was great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hoss Corncave posted:

Also, the concept that unless reversed either as soon as it happens (or they either hold onto the ropes on the first rebound or jump over or through them after the first bound to attack someone outside the ring), an Irish whip will never end and the whipped wrestler will be doomed to run the ropes over and over until they're out of stamina. Sheamus did it to Curtis Axel one time and it was great.

This rule's incredibly rare breaking was one of the great little parts about the infamous barbed wire christmas tree match Rellik (I T I S " K I L L E R " S P E L L E D B A C K W A R D S) got irish whipped towards the tree and just slammed on the brakes.

6:43 if it doesn't cue up

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

blast0rama posted:

I had never heard this before. I was watching Wrestling with Wregret and he was covering like Superbrawl 2000 and mentioned this same thing

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, people who otherwise had never attempted a powerbomb in their life would magically try and fail to powerbomb Kidman

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

When the drop down trip actually works.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

never knew about this "Kidman cannot be powerbombed" thing and it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bYLp6jqMw

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
^^ It must be emphasized that everyone tried to powerbomb Kidman even if they don't usually do one. I seem to remember that in their infamous match, even Hogan did it.

DJExile posted:

This rule's incredibly rare breaking was one of the great little parts about the infamous barbed wire christmas tree match Rellik (I T I S " K I L L E R " S P E L L E D B A C K W A R D S) got irish whipped towards the tree and just slammed on the brakes.

6:43 if it doesn't cue up
When the referee is a corner, a wrestler gets whipped towards them but manages to stop themselves before impact and the other wrestler just slams into them anyway.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Big Men doing super athletic stuff. The most clear non-rare example is when John Cena jumps over like a 7 foot opponent and still had like a foot of clearance. Or Undertaker walking the ropes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Big Men doing super athletic stuff. The most clear non-rare example is when John Cena jumps over like a 7 foot opponent and still had like a foot of clearance. Or Undertaker walking the ropes.

Goldberg did a full flip bouncing off his hands to avoid a move by DDP in their Halloween Havoc match that loving ruled.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yelling BRAIN BUSTAH

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Luchasaurus blows my mind right now when he does high kicks and standing moonsaults. I just keep thinking holy poo poo where did this guy come from and how did they misuse him for years, because it really does seem like he came out of nowhere

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
He's basically been using a variation of this same gimmick in Lucha Underground for years now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

He's basically been using a variation of this same gimmick in Lucha Underground for years now.

I've never seen a single LU thing so I suppose I should because I love Luchasaurus and Pentagon

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

I've never seen a single LU thing so I suppose I should because I love Luchasaurus and Pentagon

Lucha Underground is weird. When it's good, it's really good, but it gets kind of lackluster and spotty as it goes on. It's a show that doesn't take itself seriously. It's also a "serialized drama" that is also a wrestling show. You really have to suspend disbelief when you watch it. The King of Trios final match from season 1 has one of the most insane spots ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
AEW should also just steal Aztec Warfare and make that their default battle royal.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
The huge giant getting kicked into the ropes, stumbling and then getting tied up between middle and top rope.

The corner mount ten punch combo on taker which turns into a last ride.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

SalTheBard posted:

The King of Trios final match from season 1 has one of the most insane spots ever.

https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/477948/s01_e24_trios_champions

Start at 41:00. So insane Vampiro took his headphones off, got up, and marked the gently caress out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

IronCladBurrito posted:

Start at 41:00. So insane Vampiro took his headphones off, got up, and marked the gently caress out.

jesus loving christ :stare:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I'm a fan of the very simple stuff, done right.

My absolute favourite is:

Heels using a numerical advantage, usually after a loss in the ring.

Who will stop this carnage?

OH MAH GAWD, that's X's music! The victim's closest ally and friend!

Faces clean house and stand tall.

Heels swear revenge after running away.

It's not hard, WWE.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

IronCladBurrito posted:

DJExile posted:

jesus loving christ :stare:

Thank you for sharing! I love that match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NutShellBill posted:

It's not hard, WWE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55epUQD0NKs