Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Apocalypse Meow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Of all the films in my entire life, this is the one where they were somebody at the end standing with a little computer with a survey for me. I could not have been happier, of all the times for there to be a survey for me.

I had the opportunity to let them know I consider myself an influencer, and I do in fact post on social media.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What did you tell them about Cats?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I have spent the entire night with friends going through a ramshackle collection of movies that includes Bicentennial Man, Mannequin 2: On the Move, Comfort and Joy, ¡Three Amigos! and The Quick and the Dead and all I could do throughout the entire night is just imagining what kind of cat every actor would be. I’m still doing it to people on the bus on the way home. It hardwires your brain. It’s inescapable.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Every showing at my local theater is empty save for a handful of lost souls. I can’t wait to see this.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm so tempted, but I dunno anyone else quite masochistic enough to go with me. On the other hand, my Bad Films Friday group is loving melting down, when it comes out on DVD...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lofi posted:

What did you tell them about Cats?

It exceeded my expectations, I came for Judi Dench and "the cats", I went with a friend, I would tell all my friends to go see it, I would tell everyone on social media to go see it, my favorite part was about a cat wanting to go to heaven, I am an influencer, a fashionista (their word), and white (but I think they could tell).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I began laughing the moment that the cat face shows up in the cloud and didn't stop until the very end, and for a while

That shot occurs in the first 1 second of the movie

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There were points in this movie where these goulish little goblin fuckers would show up onscreen and I would think WHAT THE gently caress IS THA- and then it turned out just to be a cat positioned in a weird angle that made it looked xenomorph-levels of otherworldly. I IDed it the second I saw it in Cats: Herman the Human Mole in The Residents' stage production of Freak Show in Prague, 1995:

This dude is crawling all around the edges of Cats.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's so clear that they just did a stage production of Cats and mapped fur on it.

I shouldn't have to tell anyone, much less a best director oscar recipient, that stage musicals are not movies and that this is not going to work

Among other things, live dancing etc. is enthralling. On the screen it's a completely different feel. And things that are impressive on the stage, because they're realtime, like using wires to yank people around, DO NOT WORK in a FILM.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can't stop thinking about the scene where there's a couple of cat-sized cat people background dancers inside human-sized top hats. I need a high-quality digital copy of this movie so I can take screenshots from it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1208538257274871810?s=20

Dickbutt Rides Again

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If I could find a theater experience like this I’d go in a heartbeat

https://twitter.com/kevintporter/status/1208084345790976001?s=21

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

edit:
https://i.imgur.com/uvCC86T.mp4
(turn on the sound)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 22, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lmao

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Do we think the 1.1 graphics patch is going to change the insanity of this film or is there nothing that could possibly be done to alter that? Asking cause it gets the update tomorrow morning and I can still make an 11pm showing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Apparently it's only changes to the VX, but go tonight because it's part of the experience. It is incredibly jarring, and that's part of why you're going to go see Cats, I assume??

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lmfao

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pick posted:

Apparently it's only changes to the VX, but go tonight because it's part of the experience. It is incredibly jarring, and that's part of why you're going to go see Cats, I assume??

Yeah I wanna get hosed up and go insane

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

Yeah I wanna get hosed up and go insane

tonight!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

weekly font posted:

Do we think the 1.1 graphics patch is going to change the insanity of this film or is there nothing that could possibly be done to alter that? Asking cause it gets the update tomorrow morning and I can still make an 11pm showing.
See it before the roll-out if you can. While I'm curious as to what gets "fixed," I cannot imagine there being a single frame that could be fixed for the better.

I loving swear there was one shot in the film wwhere one of the cats on-screen in a close-up had braces on.

Out of even more morbid curiosity I put on the BBC TV adaptation of Cats and because it was shot without an audience they couldn't go into, they substitute it by simply having every cat on-screen looking directly into the camera. Into you the viewer's soul. I don't want to be seen. Stop looking at me.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I saw this Thursday night and can't stop thinking about it. I'm going to have to watch it again in the coming week and I still don't think I'll be able to get it out of my mind.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I tried looking for the infamous rendering error when I saw the movie tonight and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Idris Elba flaunt his rear end walking up a flight of stairs. I watched what can only be described as a vore scene. All these moments will be lost in time, like the jellico cats. Time to meow.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

General thoughts after leaving the theatre:

The cats are horrifying, and the choreography is impressive but doesn't really do anything that couldn't be done on a Broadway set.

The one song that really works is "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" because it's the only time the choreography justifies keeping the cat-size scale from the play, then escalates it to a level that wouldn't be possible on stage. "Bustopher Jones: The Cat About Town" and "Jennyanydots: The Old Gumbie Cat" do this as well, but they fall flat with disturbing and unfunny jokes as well as confusing cinematography and choppy editing.

I actually saw a group of 50-something girlfriends walk out of the theatre during "Bustopher Jones". It's clear that they were hardcore fans of the play and this was their breaking point.

"The Ad-Dressing of Cats" is shot in the laziest way possible: medium-tight shot of Old Deuteronomy, out of focus background, singing directly to the camera with Victoria and two other cats crowding the frame, with very occasional cutaways to the dancers. After the utter madness of the previous hour, it feels like a total anticlimax. I am dead serious, that's how they shot it.

Ultimately, I can't find it in myself to hate this movie. It's such a pure and honest expression of misguided filmmaking. How can you hate something so bravely wrong when it wears all of its wrongness so openly on its sleeve?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

theenglishman posted:

I tried looking for the infamous rendering error when I saw the movie tonight and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

Often people's hands don't have the cat-texture. When Mistofelees is doing some tricks, for example, you can actually see the sleeves of his shooting outfit peeking out from cat fur To avoid clipping, the collars float "above" the hair. There's a super jarring one with Gus's scarf though. There's just stuff like that all over.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Pick posted:

Often people's hands don't have the cat-texture. When Mistofelees is doing some tricks, for example, you can actually see the sleeves of his shooting outfit peeking out from cat fur To avoid clipping, the collars float "above" the hair. There's a super jarring one with Gus's scarf though. There's just stuff like that all over.

Oh yeah, I saw those. I was looking for an actual Adobe Premiere-style MEDIA OFFLINE tile card or something.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the cat names alone are pissing me off

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Uncle Wemus posted:

the cat names alone are pissing me off

then you are going to LOVE this thing

quote:

You ought to know Mr. Mistoffelees!
The Original Conjuring Cat—
(There can be no doubt about that).
Please listen to me and don't scoff. All his
Inventions are off his own bat.
There's no such Cat in the metropolis;
He holds all the patent monopolies
For performing surprising illusions
And creating eccentric confusions.
At prestidigitation
And at legerdemain
He'll defy examination
And deceive you again.
The greatest magicians have something to learn
From Mr. Mistoffelees' Conjuring Turn.
Presto!
Away we go!
And we all say: OH!
Well I never!
Was there ever
A Cat so clever
As Magical Mr. Mistoffelees!
He is quiet and small, he is black
From his ears to the tip of his tail;
He can creep through the tiniest crack,
He can walk on the narrowest rail.
He can pick any card from a pack,
He is equally cunning with dice;
He is always deceiving you into believing
That he's only hunting for mice.
He can play any trick with a cork
Or a spoon and a bit of fish-paste;
If you look for a knife or a fork
And you think it is merely misplaced—
You have seen it one moment, and then it is gawn!
But you'll find it next week lying out on the lawn.
And we all say: OH!
Well I never!
Was there ever
A Cat so clever
His manner is vague and aloof,
You would think there was nobody shyer—
But his voice has been heard on the roof
When he was curled up by the fire.
And he's sometimes been heard by the fire
When he was about on the roof—
(At least we all heard that somebody purred)
Which is incontestable proof
Of his singular magical powers:
And I have known the family to call
Him in from the garden for hours,
While he was asleep in the hall.
And not long ago this phenomenal Cat
Produced seven kittens right out of a hat!
And we all said: OH!
Well I never!
Did you ever
Know a Cat so clever

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Pick posted:

then you are going to LOVE this thing

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

poo poo, now when people say "the bard" I won't know who they're talking about.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not as horny as people claim. That said, what the gently caress did I just see. Visually it's the closest to Lovecraft's descriptions of the indescribable. Like you know something is wrong but you can't define it because every individual part is wrong despite your brain still registering it as human. And then you remember the monster is supposed to be a cat too and it's almost worse.

And then the plot is like being out with a group of friend's friends and they're telling stories you don't know the context for and using inside jokes. I feel like my brain was deleting content as it received it to protect me.

I have no mouth, and I must meow

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse is doing Rowdy Screenings and I'm so sad I'm not able to make either one they have.
https://drafthouse.com/austin/show/cats-rowdy-screening

Saw it today and I can't get it out of my mind. It's so bad but so utterly bizarre that it's haunting me. I couldn't stop laughing that the cockroaches with faces.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Water Resistant posted:

Saw it today and I can't get it out of my mind. It's so bad but so utterly bizarre that it's haunting me. I couldn't stop laughing that the cockroaches with faces.

Yes. The creatures that could only exist in a world abandoned by god add a layer of unsettling to it that is similar to the feeling you get when driving behind a log truck.

Oh also there were without a doubt times when their faces were sliding around on their heads. I hope that's not fixed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing about the effects is, why were they rushing so hard to meet a release date where they were going to get smashed to bits by Star Wars anyway?

Like if it's an awards qualification thing, they could've pushed it to Christmas Day, right? Since they've got a patch now that probably woulda been enough time.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The effects are generally only 90% finished the whole way through. The ones that jumped out at me were a wide shot where the tiny stage was out of focus but the human mice were perfectly crisp and clear, and a few shots during the sunrise sequence at the end where individual cats weren't blending properly against the light.

To be fair to the artists, the amount of compositing in this film is ungodly and it was probably shuffled out the door in part due to the cost of continuing that. Along with the Sonic redesign and whatever's going on with Maleficent 2, it's killed one of the large VFX studios working on it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing about the effects is, why were they rushing so hard to meet a release date where they were going to get smashed to bits by Star Wars anyway?

Like if it's an awards qualification thing, they could've pushed it to Christmas Day, right? Since they've got a patch now that probably woulda been enough time.

Lets be fair, the people who want to watch Star Wars are not the people who will watch this and vice versa. That said it is...not doing well last I checked.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

This isn’t a movie that you can really call good or bad because it’s operating on rules entirely alien and terrifying to our limited earthly understanding of cinema. Humanity as we exist in the dimension are incapable of judging CATS and I love it and fear it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If they stopped making movies after it I’d be ok with that. No other film will ever be as good and beautiful a capstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Do you think future generations, hundreds of years from now, are going to look back at this era in their holocubes in and wonder just what the gently caress were we doing?