Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but the mascots are still there because they're cute, it's funny when they fight the evil mascots, and also when they do things like pull out grenades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean I'm going to say that they don't really explore incubators outside of them being (by our standards) amoral so its less a deconstruction and more "what if the mascot character didn't have their best interests at heart". Its a cool dark tw ist that is then used in other anims in worse ways (magic girl raising project)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Namtab posted:

Spec ops asuka where she takes her orders from the military
That show was bad enough that I don't think it had any consideration beyond what those kill Barney websites from the early internet did.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

That show was bad enough that I don't think it had any consideration beyond what those kill Barney websites from the early internet did.
there's probably some people out there that call it a deconstruction because it asks "what if the precure style war against things from another dimension actually was a war"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Namtab posted:

there's probably some people out there that call it a deconstruction because it asks "what if the precure style war against things from another dimension actually was a war"
Which is about as meaningful as a cinemasins video.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

I mean I'm going to say that they don't really explore incubators outside of them being (by our standards) amoral so its less a deconstruction and more "what if the mascot character didn't have their best interests at heart". Its a cool dark tw ist that is then used in other anims in worse ways (magic girl raising project)

MGRP’s evil mascot is obviously partly inspired by Kyubey, but also partly inspired by Monokuma. Not remotely as interesting as either, though. (Really, almost every MGRP character is a take on a archetype done better elsewhere. It reminds me of something I read somewhere about the impossibility of Tragedia Dell Arte.)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This conversation is the real tragedia haha

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, that's basically making Madoka's subtext text. Instead of a talking weasel you have a literal adult male military officer recruiting literal child soldiers.

Gunslinger Girl already exists though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

This conversation is the real tragedia haha

Sorry, that was a pretentious way of putting it. What the book or whatever I’m thinking of said (I can’t locate the source) is that comedy deals in broad archetypes, while the individuality of the characters is key to tragedy. Hence the relative lack of really memorable individuated characters in Shakespeare’s comedies compared to his tragedies, for instance. The problem with MGRP is that characters are defined by straightforward “tragic” flaws rather than properly fleshed out (e.g., Sister Nana is absurdly naive; it’s implied that this is partly because her girlfriend enables her, but we don’t get much of a sense of her beyond that). The end result is that the characters and their conflicts are too obviously artificial for the audience to really care about.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Gunslinger Girl whips, so that's fine.

(I say having basically no knowledge of it besides that The Light Before We Land is an incredible OP)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Draxion posted:

Gunslinger Girl whips, so that's fine.

(I say having basically no knowledge of it besides that The Light Before We Land is an incredible OP)
I haven't watched it in like a decade but I recall the first season being mostly fine. I haven't seen the second season, though. Also what's up fellow The Delgados enthusiast. :hfive:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gunslinger girl was quite good at exploring what youd need to do to develop this programme, i like the manga

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It got a bit weaker when they started focusing on the ex ballerina but looking back with the benefit of hindsight that's because the story had done what it needed to with the original girl.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Right, figured I'd wind up having to justify myself a bit. So, here's what I think Madoka does that's deconstructive (meaning, for the purposes of this conversation, what details of its sources it views in more detail to question their purpose.)

First, as mentioned, it has Kyubey. While mascots are typically benevolent, Kyubey is as morally suspect as you'd expect from someone recruiting child soldiers for a forever war. His primary interest is getting people to accomplish his goals, and if some kids die in the process, well, happens. Bigger things to focus on than a few brief lives.

Second, magical girl shows often have "love", "hope", "friendship" and similar as sources of power in a slightly more literal way than in sports anime, similar to Dragon Ball's spirit bomb. In Madoka, the use of emotions as power is treated as a resource like any other, exploited by an amoral corporation, no matter the harm to those who provide it. If friendship is magic, then a lot of friendships will be formed purely to shoot better fireballs. And if the hopes and dreams of little girls are a power source, there's going to be someone ruining their dreams for a profit.

Third, magical girls tend to be in very dangerous situations, but get out fine. Madoka presents magical girls as working in a line that's nasty, brutish, and short.

Fourth, Madoka has Sayaka showing how too much pressure is going to make people snap, with a normal, even heroic teenage girl being unable to cope with the emotional realities of the line of work.

And finally, Madoka herself is self-sacrificing to a fault... which leads to Homura's whole arc about the impossibility of saving Madoka from herself.

Don't get me wrong, Madoka has plenty of dark aspects that aren't naturally derived from its sources, like having one of the protagonists just use normal people guns, but a lot of its premise comes from examination of the ideas of the genre, even as it concludes that, yeah, hope and such? Pretty good.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Wark Say posted:

I haven't watched it in like a decade but I recall the first season being mostly fine. I haven't seen the second season, though. Also what's up fellow The Delgados enthusiast. :hfive:

I don't know how I started liking a not very well known Scottish band that split up 8 years before I heard of them, but I'm glad I did

Draxion fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 29, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think all deconstruction really means is "uses standard genre conventions, but has a different tone than usual"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Lord El-Mellol Season 2??)

:pusheen:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 29, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Right, figured I'd wind up having to justify myself a bit. So, here's what I think Madoka does that's deconstructive (meaning, for the purposes of this conversation, what details of its sources it views in more detail to question their purpose.)

First, as mentioned, it has Kyubey. While mascots are typically benevolent, Kyubey is as morally suspect as you'd expect from someone recruiting child soldiers for a forever war. His primary interest is getting people to accomplish his goals, and if some kids die in the process, well, happens. Bigger things to focus on than a few brief lives.

Second, magical girl shows often have "love", "hope", "friendship" and similar as sources of power in a slightly more literal way than in sports anime, similar to Dragon Ball's spirit bomb. In Madoka, the use of emotions as power is treated as a resource like any other, exploited by an amoral corporation, no matter the harm to those who provide it. If friendship is magic, then a lot of friendships will be formed purely to shoot better fireballs. And if the hopes and dreams of little girls are a power source, there's going to be someone ruining their dreams for a profit.

Third, magical girls tend to be in very dangerous situations, but get out fine. Madoka presents magical girls as working in a line that's nasty, brutish, and short.

Fourth, Madoka has Sayaka showing how too much pressure is going to make people snap, with a normal, even heroic teenage girl being unable to cope with the emotional realities of the line of work.

And finally, Madoka herself is self-sacrificing to a fault... which leads to Homura's whole arc about the impossibility of saving Madoka from herself.

Don't get me wrong, Madoka has plenty of dark aspects that aren't naturally derived from its sources, like having one of the protagonists just use normal people guns, but a lot of its premise comes from examination of the ideas of the genre, even as it concludes that, yeah, hope and such? Pretty good.
literally all of these themes were explored in sailor moon in the same way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

madoka isn't about magical girls, it's just urobuchi exploring heroism/self-sacrifice. it uses magical girl visuals and plotbeats because he loved hidamari sketch and wanted to just expy the characters from hidamari sketch into a more serious series, and also because he liked nanoha.

questioning the magical girl genre isnt inherently unwoke, there's obvious issues with the general trends in the genre from both writing and marketing perspectives, the same way there's issues with any genre, but madoka isn't really interested in actually tackling any of those issues. its not like the show really engages with, say, unrealistic romantic/sexual expectations for girls, heteronormativity, tying of femininity to capitalism, etc. I guess the last one could be what kyubey is a metaphor for at a stretch, he is a weird person far above them exploiting their gender for his own gains, but they sure don't resolve that by like, finding a paradigm outside of him. and any feminist read of madoka is obviously gonna have to grapple with the weirdness that is 'teenage girls have largest and purest Emotion Energy' being literal text. Or the part where it went back through history and said random female historical figures were actually important because a rabbit gave them magic powers.

And its fine for Madoka to not tackle those issues, I like it, but iunno why people think the problem with the magical girl genre that needs to be taken to task is that mascots are cute and sometimes good things happen. Deconstruction isn't about taking apart the visual or basic storytelling elements of something, it's about examining what's beneath those elements and the assumptions that come with them. Magical girl shows often assume that girls need to be pure and noble, they often function as 22 minute, 50-episode advertisements for cheap trinkets that will be replaced by different toys in a year, and they often tell young women that they're only allowed to have relationships with boys if they're either family or the deepest, most purest love ever. (This constitutes like 50% of the plot of Sailor Moon.) These are some of the issues with the genre that an actual deconstruction would address. Madoka either doesn't or only does so accidentally, due to its warping of common visual elements.

Madoka goes 'what if magical girls died' but it isn't interested in exploring why your average magical girl show is sickly sweet and safe (in terms of consequences for character's actions/risks that they undertake to pursue their goals, not safe in terms of writing choices) in a way shows for young boys often aren't. So it's not a deconstruction. And that's fine.

In other words, the actual magical girl deconstruction is Wixoss.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 29, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OnimaruXLR posted:

This sent me down a little Google journey and from what I can tell, VIT (vitality) was used quite a lot in the golden age of DQ and FF games in lieu of defense or resilience or whatever, so maybe it's someone trying to make a winking nod at old timey video game people, maybe just taking the terminology directly from old games

I just know that when I see "vitality" my mind goes to maximum HP and not damage resistance, but then again, I did play a lot of Dark Souls 1

if you played d&d, vitality is just constitution. it helps tons with surviving in general.

also, RO was really fuckin big in japan, and every point of vit in RO gives some HP and damage resistance, to the point where many enemies will be doing 1 damage to you if you pour enough points into it. especially when combined with high armour values, because armour gives % based reduction first, then vit is point based reduction after that.

so yeah, vit makes perfect sense to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here is the official endorph approved list of magical girl shows you can actually call a deconstruction:

earth girl arjuna
wixoss
the smile precure sequel novel where one of the girls is having an argument with her american boyfriend and she realized she uprooted her entire life for him and so gave him a ton of power over her and that makes her intensely uncomfortable, and also another girl dropped out of high school to be a mangaka and regrets it (why does this exist)
Zetsumetsu Kigu Shōjo Amazing Twins
idolmaster xenoglossia
iunno what musumet is but sure it can be a deconstruction too
the magical girl grisaia spinoff vn thats mostly jokes about one of them having a glock
darker than black: ryuusei no gemini

list of these shows that are good:
wixoss

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Definitely feels like people had that reaction to Madoka since most people who see it as this big deconstruction's only exposure to magical girl stuff prior were like, 6 episodes of Sailor Moon they saw on Toonami as a kid.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I thought we had to be 5 eps into a new season before Madoka chat could start again?

Also friendly reminder for when the season starts: if you watch anything at all post first impressions! I'm sure I'm not the only one that uses these threads as a viewing guide and as a collective ADTRW has pretty good taste

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can we have a magical girl show that deals with the girls depending on in-universe sales of non-magical plastic toys in their likeness, managers not allowing them to use attacks because they don't have the toys ready, and bootleg products taking away the real sales that power up the girls. (Note: I haven't watched Wixoss but keep hearing I probably should. Is it anything like this?)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It isn't, no. That would be a cool story idea though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

Can we have a magical girl show that deals with the girls depending on in-universe sales of non-magical plastic toys in their likeness, managers not allowing them to use attacks because they don't have the toys ready, and bootleg products taking away the real sales that power up the girls. (Note: I haven't watched Wixoss but keep hearing I probably should. Is it anything like this?)
theres a few mecha anime that sort of have this premise, like daiguard

and no, wixoss isnt like that at all. heck it barely acknowledges that the in-universe card game has a real world equivalent, or even in-universe is something that people besides the MCs play, and even when the MCs play it its mostly just treated as a magical battle, its not like yugioh where gaining new cards is treated as a plot point or where they explain the effects of cards they play. The most relevant part of the card game in Wixoss is that the term they use for it is basically one word removed from the Japanese term for same-sex relationships.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

and no, wixoss isnt like that at all. heck it barely acknowledges that the in-universe card game has a real world equivalent, or even in-universe is something that people besides the MCs play.

It does have a scene where the MCs rip open a bunch of booster packs to get the card they want because the store isn’t selling it as a single yet, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

It does have a scene where the MCs rip open a bunch of booster packs to get the card they want because the store isn’t selling it as a single yet, though.
lmao, i did forget that scene

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Endorph posted:

the smile precure sequel novel where one of the girls is having an argument with her american boyfriend and she realized she uprooted her entire life for him and so gave him a ton of power over her and that makes her intensely uncomfortable, and also another girl dropped out of high school to be a mangaka and regrets it (why does this exist)

I'm kind of shocked to find out that the "bad sequel novel" disease that infected Rider managed to spread to Precure

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Deconstructions: They can be kinda middling-to-bad, too? :shobon:

EdgyCoffeeMug
Jan 11, 2019

seems like Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin will continue the chuuni-boi trend started by last season's Chuubyou Boys. i'm in!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

Mecha and magical girls are basically the same tho. It's just whether the hero/ines wear a big metal thing or a fancy dress.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's be real here, Macross is both a mecha and a magical girl franchise.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It is not.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Damnable Falsehoods.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

nielsm posted:

Mecha and magical girls are basically the same tho. It's just whether the hero/ines wear a big metal thing or a fancy dress.

I have also seen Granbelm.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a Mecha and Idol franchise. Slight distinction there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Julias posted:

It's a Mecha and Idol franchise. Slight distinction there.

I mean, when they're using magic music to win wars, I feel like the distinction is breaking down pretty hard. Walkure in particular are definitely magical girls. I mean, when you're blazing away with a sci-fi machine-gun while singing magical J-Rock at the top of your lungs, there's essentially no distance between you and Chris from Symphogear.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 29, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the difference between macross and magical girls is that magical girls let girls do stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the idols are just cultural imperialism