Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basebf555 posted:

It is deeply problematic and I don't think it's very well made. I mean, the director is a pro so it's not like it's DTV level but I don't remember the technical aspects of it standing out very much to me.

I definitely think that Brawl in Cell Block 99 can be filed under 'Badly Made', so this doesn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Isn't it the same guy who made Bone Tomahawk? That movie was great.

I actually agree, I really enjoyed that movie and watched it twice. It's a bit tougher now to go back and watch it but I bought it on blu ray before I knew anything about Zahler so the damage is done I guess.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Euphoriaphone posted:

Am I the only one shocked at all the praise 1917 is getting? It just seems like a knockoff version of Dunkirk.

The Academy loves England set films.
If its a period drama in a posh or war setting, it usually gets the vote for something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

1917 is like the best ever video game cutscene, and I mean that in a good way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't buy this line.

I don't think it fits everything but it explains why a lot of the stuff that people are griping about in particular got snubbed.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh--you're not giving people enough credit and being a bit reductive on some of the films you mentioned. The Nightingale isn't about a brutal rape and is a beautiful movie. I don't even like Midsommar, but it's undeniably gorgeous. But at the same time, it's movie nerd talk. Yes, everyone understands that the Oscars is always going to exclude some deserving stuff, but it's also because people want to champion good movies.

What the actual problem is becomes very clear when The Farewell and Little Women--loving Oscar rear end Oscar movies--are getting overlooked.

as above, I agree with you that this doesn't fit everything people are championing- The Farewell isn't that niche, I agree (though I also feel like Little Women isn't actually... getting... that overlooked? I mean it has a BP nomination, Gerwig just didn't also get on the Best Director shortlist. a movie not making a full Ben-Hur/ROTK isn't exactly a snub.)

but like, no, The Nightingale isn't about a brutal rape, it's about brutal rape (and the vengeance for such) as its primary subject matter. it's an actually-artistically-competent, progressive take on I Spit On Your Grave. is it a drat good movie? yes. is it also a movie that i'd fully expect a large chunk of the Academy voters to pass out or vomit while watching? yep.

and yeah, Midsommar is gorgeous, but it also very prominently features a guy getting his head splattered into goo with a mallet because he didn't kill himself properly, and has primary characters die in absolutely horrifying ways that are portrayed about as graphically as Aster could get away with. when you picture Academy voters it is not exactly the type of movie you'd picture most of them enjoying at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chairman Capone posted:

1917 is like the best ever video game cutscene, and I mean that in a good way.

Press F to fall asleep.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Press F to fall asleep.

It's a shame that one guy failed the QTE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Giant poo movie. Giant poo director.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't think it was bad, I just kind of thought it was nothing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
FACT: Red Dead Redemption 2 is a deeper and more relevant work of art than 1917.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think it fits everything but it explains why a lot of the stuff that people are griping about in particular got snubbed.
I feel like you're imagining a consistency in the Academy that just isn't present. Of the two most in contention Best Picture nominations, one involves someone sticking his hand into a gooey torso and one involves graphically smashing a woman's face into pulp and yet both have best picture and best director noms.

But I think by and large the, "Do you really think the Academy would..." game doesn't work. Because you can imagine Birdman or Moonlight or Shape of Water or Get Out or A Fantastic Woman being ignored in alternate universe and easily being able to chalk it up to Academy being stodgy with interesting films. But that poo poo did get rewarded, and it makes the last two years feel fishy by comparison.

And yeah, Little Women got the Best Picture nom--but it's almost definitely out of competition when you consider the lack of Best Director nom which is insane. Especially when loving Todd Philips has a nomination.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but like, no, The Nightingale isn't about a brutal rape, it's about brutal rape (and the vengeance for such) as its primary subject matter.
This is a shallow reading for a movie that ends with the thematic question of if there actually is something fundamentally broken about the culture of white people and uses impeccable research to try to recreate lost Aborigines language.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is a shallow reading for a movie that ends with the thematic question of if there actually is something fundamentally broken about the culture of white people and uses impeccable research to try to recreate lost Aborigines language.

Agreed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So is the theory that the Academy has suddenly become a more reactionary institution in the past 2 years for no apparent reason?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

General Dog posted:

So is the theory that the Academy has suddenly become a more reactionary institution in the past 2 years for no apparent reason?
I mean I think there are theories in this thread. But going from erotic Creature from the Black Lagoon fan fiction where the bad guy is Ronald Reagan to Green Book is a loving jump.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

General Dog posted:

My dumbperson take is that the Academy is in the process of conservative retrenchment after 6 straight years of multicultural 'drift' towards critically acclaimed smaller projects, and a ton of controversy about best practices and industry abuse. A lot of dirty laundry has been aired in the last 2 years, and stodgy industry types hate that kind of unpredictability. They are addressing multiple perceived threats to their traditional business models, between highly successful upstarts like A24 guiding the conversation of new talent, new technology companies like Netflix spending huge sums on loan, and gigantic reliable studio moneywells like Star Wars, Marvel, and DC currently being in flux or between phases.

Studio and academy insiders are playing the safest political and financial game possible while trying to court new international talent, the only completely undeniable force this year having been the unstoppable cultural crossover success of Parasite, literally saving Neon from the financial netherrealm. Otherwise, art darling A24 was sacrificed entirely this year in order to simplify studio politics for a favorable position of either controlling the terms of Netflix's further involvement in the industry or continuing to shut them out. Since the oscars are all about politics, A24 was just muddying the waters of a fight between much bigger interests.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm really surprised the oscars didnt bite on Knives Out, it seems like their thing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

got any sevens posted:

I'm really surprised the oscars didnt bite on Knives Out, it seems like their thing

It says rich people suck regardless of their politics so probably not.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I know Rian Johnson means well, but he just isn't cut out for all this.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I think part of the problem is that people expect niche films to win out in a democratic vote of thousands of people.

Like, The Nightingale was never, ever going to get nominated, because a very large chunk of the Academy just flat out isn't gonna want to watch a movie about brutal rape. Uncut Gems got snubbed because you have to be willing to see an Adam Sandler movie, and also able to enjoy one where he's deliberately playing an insufferable piece of poo poo, to be in its niche. Midsommar requires you to be into gory, nihilistic horror to enjoy it at all. Are these some of the best films of the year? Sure, maybe. Are they gonna get any attention in an awards ceremony that's polling thousands of people across all tastes for nominations and awards? Fuuuuuck no.

I think it's The Hollywood Reporter who every year polls a few members of the Academy anonymously to find out how they voted and why and it is the most revealing thing they ever do. The town is full of vapid morons who couldn't name a decent movie to save their lives.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

I think it's The Hollywood Reporter who every year polls a few members of the Academy anonymously to find out how they voted and why and it is the most revealing thing they ever do. The town is full of vapid morons who couldn't name a decent movie to save their lives.

I mean, granted, but that doesn't explain the last half decade where niche films were nominated in many categories and even managed to win top prizes in certain years, which in 2019-2020 all of a sudden doesn't seem like the case anymore.

Vapid morons still managed to give 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight Best Picture...even if it seems like they were also trying to avoid that, too. A lot of these small movies get seen and appreciated by people.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The year after 12 Years won, one of the Hollywood Reporter interviews had someone saying they didn't have to vote for Selma because they'd voted for 12 Years.

So I think that what's happening is at least still consistent with academy voters being merely dumb idiots (who never stopped having that reactionary bent).

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

I mean, granted, but that doesn't explain the last half decade where niche films were nominated in many categories and even managed to win top prizes in certain years, which in 2019-2020 all of a sudden doesn't seem like the case anymore.

Vapid morons still managed to give 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight Best Picture...even if it seems like they were also trying to avoid that, too. A lot of these small movies get seen and appreciated by people.

Those wins in particular can be credited to their successful marketing to the Academy as "issue movies," because the overwhelmingly old, white and male members (executives and producers are the biggest branches aside from actors) can't conceive of voting for black stories by black filmmakers on their merits.

They'll nominate something like Amour or Tree of Life or Mad Max, but look what movies actually won those years. The Artist, Argo, Spotlight. Pretty conventional picks, and wholly forgettable looking back on them now. If anything, Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave and The Shape of Water were the exceptions and the Academy is just reverting to the mean.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
You also have to keep in mind that even the "niche" movies that win some Oscar nods got picked up at major festivals. Studios pick what gets slotted into the "niche" category, and the same idiots are in charge of that who are in charge of greenlighting remakes and sequels. The industrialization of the indie finished a long, long time ago.

I'd say the biggest difference between the Oscars of yesteryear and now is that occasionally a Palme d'Or winner will make the Best Picture list, but that's still not a guarantee. The Academy'd be damned if its members ever watched something like Winter Sleep, much less nominated it for BP.

Prince Myshkin fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 18, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hand Knit posted:

The year after 12 Years won, one of the Hollywood Reporter interviews had someone saying they didn't have to vote for Selma because they'd voted for 12 Years.

So I think that what's happening is at least still consistent with academy voters being merely dumb idiots (who never stopped having that reactionary bent).

I’m sure some of them won’t vote for a foreign film for Best Picture because “they have their own category”. I don’t think Parasite has a chance due to this, but would be neat to be proven wrong.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Of the stuff on offer in the noms Parasite is the only one that deserves to win BP this year.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Talk about a movie that almost immediately evaporated with no cultural impact.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Talk about a movie that almost immediately evaporated with no cultural impact.

Did you think The Artist was going to cause a glut of silent movies to be made?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Of the stuff on offer in the noms Parasite is the only one that deserves to win BP this year.
Little women and Marriage Story are both really, really, really good. Parasite is the clear winner because it really is the culmination of Bong Joon-Ho's career, the best expression of motifs that have been bubbling under films like Us and Knives Out, and just a fantastic film. It has a relevancy and originality that makes it the most deserving. Still, i wouldn't have been unhappy with Little Women taking it. I think selling something has a 21st century or feminist take just seems trite and empty, but Little Women cuts loving deeper than I think most people expect. It might be one of the greatest film adaptations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Artist was awesome, you ninnies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Did you think The Artist was going to cause a glut of silent movies to be made?

I hoped... :(

Its still a great film tho, i love it

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The only movie that would make me angry if it won Best Picture is Jojo Rabbit. Joker winning would be pretty funny, The Irishman, Once Upon a Time or Parasite would be fine, and the rest would be easy enough to just chalk up to the Academy's typical bad taste.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 18, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pospysyl posted:

The only movie that would make me angry if it won Best Picture is Jojo Rabbit.

Ford v Ferrari for me. Not a bad film but Best Picture? Jesus, no.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pospysyl posted:

The only movie that would make me angry if it won Best Picture is Jojo Rabbit. Joker winning would be pretty funny, The Irishman, Once Upon a Time or Parasite would be fine, and the rest would be easy enough to just chalk up to the Academy's typical bad taste.

Why?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can't speak for OP, but Jojo Rabbit felt trivial to me. All the Waititi humor got weighed down by the Nazi poo poo it was only tangentially addressing.

It might have been better with a more fictionalized setting that aimed to allegorize rather than depict Nazi Germany. I could imagine that working.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If Taika really wants to deal with jokey nazis he should adapt the end of FYAD to the big screen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I finally saw Jojo and Ford v. Ferrari this weekend and actually found them both to be really solid. Really Joker is the only one in the best picture field that I disliked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My expectations are set so low after last year that as long as Joker doesn't win best picture I'll be mostly fine with it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Roger Deakins ups his game with 1917 like he did with Blade Runner. The only negative thing about him is his uncanny resemblance to the British paedophile Jimmy Savile.

I really hope Joker doesn't win big. It felt like a straightforward exercise in misanthropy. It's Taxi Driver in greasepaint.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If Joaquin wins, I hope he Joker dances to the stage to Prince’s Partyman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zqaTU5bGx8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Little women and Marriage Story are both really, really, really good. Parasite is the clear winner because it really is the culmination of Bong Joon-Ho's career, the best expression of motifs that have been bubbling under films like Us and Knives Out, and just a fantastic film. It has a relevancy and originality that makes it the most deserving. Still, i wouldn't have been unhappy with Little Women taking it. I think selling something has a 21st century or feminist take just seems trite and empty, but Little Women cuts loving deeper than I think most people expect. It might be one of the greatest film adaptations.

I'm gonna be the one to say that Marriage Story, while good, feels like a budget version of The Squid and the Whale and will not hold up over time. I absolutely love Parasite but I doubt Joon-Ho has even made the best film of his career yet.

Still, Parasite is the crowd-pleaser with the most artistic flair this year, both domestically and internationally. It's one hell of a film to speak to the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Marriage Story was navel-gazey, kinda insufferable, and completely trivial compared to Parasite. Little Women was a mushy period fantasy — which is right up my alley but, again, trivial. Plus it edges out Nights and Weekends for Gerwig's worst movie.

In a just world, The Last Black Man in San Francisco would be cleaning up. Even in this ever-warming purgatory I figured it would make the lists for, at minimum, cinematography, original score, original screenplay, and supporting actor (e: for Jonathan Majors). It got plenty of hype around June. I just don't get it, idk

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2020