Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pinwiz11 posted:

Now that I've got Leatherface to 50, which killer should I look at next in terms of perks? In terms of playstyle I'm learning towards Doctor, but if there's another perk that I should pick up first I may consider it.

Or maybe because now I have Chili unlocked it doesn't matter thanks to all those extra Bloodpoints... :unsmigghh:

Clown for Pop and Bamboozle, Hag if you think she looks interesting, Plague for Corrupt and Infectious.

There are a lot of killers with good perks, but all of those are good general purpose choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Pinwiz11 posted:

Now that I've got Leatherface to 50, which killer should I look at next in terms of perks? In terms of playstyle I'm learning towards Doctor, but if there's another perk that I should pick up first I may consider it.

Or maybe because now I have Chili unlocked it doesn't matter thanks to all those extra Bloodpoints... :unsmigghh:

Plague gets you Infectious Fright (good for killers with a one-shot power on a timer like Myers and Oni, but very good in general for basically everyone as a way to dissuade flashlight saves) and Corrupt Intervention (A+++ perk on basically everyone). Alternatively, Clown gets you Pop Goes The Weasel, another A+++ perk. If you like hexes, Hag gets you a few cool ones and Blight gives you Undying to keep them going. Nurse gets you Thanatophobia and Nurse's Calling if you like to play killers who wound everyone as part of their general gameplay. Doctor is great for Overcharge and Monitor & Abuse, some killers make very good use of those. Legion gets you a perk that lets you know if you have 2 or more people working on a gen, which is great for the start of a match. Ghostface gets you Thrilling Tremors, a good alternative to Corrupt Intervention, and I'm All Ears, which is always fun. Myers gets you Save the Best for Last and Play with your Food if you like to move/attack very fast by messing with people.

There are a few others but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It depends, do you want to play the killer you level up? I've only survived against Clown, and even with good bottles I feel like Clown doesn't really do anything. So they may be a bad idea to actually play, but Pop Goes the Weasel is great and Bamboozle is extremely usable. Plague with BBQ and Chili, Infectious Fright, and Corrupt Intervention might be pretty solid to invest points into without too much pain. The fourth perk won't be great, but it won't be terrible?

That poster plays DBD, so, like all DBD players, that poster is unfortunately toxic 😔.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Studio posted:

It depends, do you want to play the killer you level up? I've only survived against Clown, and even with good bottles I feel like Clown doesn't really do anything. So they may be a bad idea to actually play, but Pop Goes the Weasel is great and Bamboozle is extremely usable. Plague with BBQ and Chili, Infectious Fright, and Corrupt Intervention might be pretty solid to invest points into without too much pain. The fourth perk won't be great, but it won't be terrible?

Good point. Right now I want to play the Killer as I level. I don't necessarily need to earn the BP to level them, but I want to focus on a gameplay style different from Leatherface/Hillbilly. I can always grind BP as Leatherface. Clown doesn't really speak to me but I looked up their perks and :stare:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh if you're going to play with the killer as you level them, then don't play clown. Or do, but keep in mind his kit is very meh. At least he doesn't slow down anymore before throwing bottles!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been playing DBD a lot more, and I'm having trouble with people bombing the poo poo out of hooks. What is the best way to keep people away from hooks? If I smack them and down them when they are waiting to pull someone off right in front of me they just crawl under the hook and become invulnerable because you can't pick them up. Looking at online forums that's been an issue since at least 2019.

Like I don't mind most survivor fuckery because that's the game, but exploiting lovely hitboxes for picking people up is just BM. Yes I am absolutely tilted.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 15, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I just leave the invulnerable slug there and do my usual nearby priorities loop. Face camping is my limit but I'm just fine with doing important things 15-20m away and the presence of the slugged guy already justifies my being near the hook. If a third person comes by for the unhook/pick up I'm close enough to get another down in and I have the three stooges not doing anything too meaningful. If the slug uses his Unbreakable he won't have it later and same as above, chasing and occupying two wounded. If there is a conga line of aggressive survivors trying to do super bold unhooks I always end up about 4 beats ahead in hits, downs and hooks and the game goes to 3-4k. I think there's a point of mid-range experience where survivors(especially friend groups) confuse lack of fear for the killer and altruism for pro play. Exchanges benefit the killer a lot unless you're down to the exit gate and get a first hook or something like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, the general answer for “how do I prevent hook shenanigans” is “slugging.” That, or “play Pyramid Head.”

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah survivors are all about efficiency, if there's a slug underneath a hooked player, that's two players out of the game. If you can chase one person off of a gen, the survivors are getting almost no progress while someone has to head to the hook, unhook, and revive.

Don't stray too far, but with that setup you're very close to a won game if you down someone going for a revive.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got some true galaxy brain Trapping in today. Survivor looped me with a strong window for a bit, eventually got them down, basement was available. Could've trapped the steps for the default "how scared are you right now" 50/50 shot but repositioned a nearby trap for that window instead. Did a big loop, was in the neighborhood as she gets unhooked finally. Realize the stars are guiding me and take an awkward long approach, putting me behind her on one side and the window on the opposite side, perfect 180 compared to my approach.

Snap, Grab, DCed. Thank you TrapperThoughts. :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Huntress with Monitor & Abuse can lead to some hilarious survivor reactions if you land a hatchet from outside your terror radius and they didn't see you coming. That giant hum radius turns into a kind of benefit as they start to get extremely cautious about your potential lethal range. (This is double extra true with Iridescent Head and the +1/+2 hatchets addons, but I hoard my shinies like a greedy crow, so I don't use it often.)

Though my favorite games are the ones where I land 30 meter yeets, but miss someone running in a straight line in lunge range.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 16, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, the general answer for “how do I prevent hook shenanigans” is “slugging.” That, or “play Pyramid Head.”

Lmao I have had to do that, I've been playing PH a lot and several people who tried to crawl for hooks ended up in a cage. Although the cages in general seem kind of weak since they get released so quickly

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cages are an option and are strong when that option comes in handy. The general rule of thumb is "Can I do something meaningful right now instead of taking 10+ seconds to hook?" or "Can I avoid a Decisive/Flashlight?" You can also do things like throw the cage into dead space by finishing a chase in a busy corner and the opposite part of the map has finished gens in it already. And they shut off unhooking benefits, primarily deliverance. By all means hook normally if you can strengthen your pressure in the immediate area doing so, like between a 3-4 gen route, but when in doubt cage is great if you can spend two seconds sending somebody to the shadow realm and immediately begin a new chase.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 16, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You can't send someone to the shadow realm right away, you have to take their duelist points down too. There's a reason why PH's great knife can double as a card playing surface

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

New Code:
DBDDAYJP2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Chainsawed a guy 10 seconds into the game and he disconnected. Weirdly enough the other survivors had the game of their lives afterwards. I swear, somehow they managed to cleanse every totem and stun me with every pallet before all escaping.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 20, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Chainsawed a guy 10 seconds into the game and he disconnected. Weirdly enough the other survivors had the game of their lives afterwards. I swear, somehow they managed to cleanse every totem and stun me with every pallet before all escaping.

Looking at your perks, cleansing totems doesn't really matter versus you, and they don't have anything exceptional perk wise (0 decisive strikes... how I miss it).

Were you constantly keeping pressure, were you trying to chase survivors in areas you'd already chased and cleared pallets in? As Bubba especially, you can start revving a chainsaw and instantly destroy a pallet as a it drops. Bubba is super snowball oriented, so you need to ask yourself what the survivors were doing to slow you, and how/if you can stop that in the future.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think you misunderstood the chain of events, which means my plausible deniability was overly plausible.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:hmmyes:

Gotcha

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Did the shrine reset yet? Hope there is something good on it this week.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It did. It's meh.

Fixated, Iron Maiden, Stake Out, and Unnerving Presence.

None of those are terrible, but there's nothing super amazing either.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

rydiafan posted:

It did. It's meh.

Fixated, Iron Maiden, Stake Out, and Unnerving Presence.

None of those are terrible, but there's nothing super amazing either.

I see some perks got changed too with the mid chapter patch. Interesting. Was thinking I'd give survivor a rest and play some killers, still have a ton of event cakes. Who have you guys been playing lately?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've been playing Blight since he came out and hoo golly, 28 levels later he's finally starting to see Barbecue & Chili, and the sparks are really starting to fly.

Isn't gonna make that "Hit 6 Lethal Rushes in one round" rift challenge any easier though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I've only had the game since the summer sale. I'm a huntress main, but I finally caved in and bought Leatherface to unlocked BBQ. Been playing as him to get a ton of BPs to spend on Huntress until she gets BBQ herself.

Of course now the DLC dam has broken, so I bought Legion to unlock Discordance. So I'm playing Leatherface to get BPs to spend on Legion so I can unlock Discordance so I can level Huntress more etc.

It's a vicious cycle.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I've been playing Blight since he came out and hoo golly, 28 levels later he's finally starting to see Barbecue & Chili, and the sparks are really starting to fly.

Isn't gonna make that "Hit 6 Lethal Rushes in one round" rift challenge any easier though.

I am the garbage killer that doesn't play a killer until I have unlocked the build I want for them first. Not having the core perks and running up against good players sucks any fun out of the match.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still main Huntress. My current build is working well. Monitor and Abuse is more useful for the field of view increase than the terror radius trickery, honestly. That extra 10 degrees can be the difference between someone getting away and making the Kobe throw.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I still main Huntress. My current build is working well. Monitor and Abuse is more useful for the field of view increase than the terror radius trickery, honestly. That extra 10 degrees can be the difference between someone getting away and making the Kobe throw.

Yeah it's a great perk on Huntress for sure.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Meridian posted:

I am the garbage killer that doesn't play a killer until I have unlocked the build I want for them first. Not having the core perks and running up against good players sucks any fun out of the match.
I'm the garbage killer who's had the game for years, hardly plays, and has most people at level 1 except a Leatherface at 35 to unlock BBQ&Chili, so I definitely have about 1 out of every 3 or 4 games where my rank 15 rear end is up against single-digit rank survivors with full loadouts. You get used to it!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I havent played since before Blight came out but I've been thinking about playing again. I didn't finish the last Rift because I got bored of the game oops

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The good news is that there's a solid chunk of rift XP and bloodpoints in the new Rift just for engaging with the Visceral Canker mechanic as a survivor (just another channeled interactable, guaranteed to spawn on your maps until you finish it each time you take it), and just doing the Canker itself gives you like 4k BP.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I wouldn't mind my lvl 16 killer rear end being matched against reds if they didn't wait in the loving exit to twerk. Don't you have better things to do with your time? Just loving escape.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rydiafan posted:

I wouldn't mind my lvl 16 killer rear end being matched against reds if they didn't wait in the loving exit to twerk. Don't you have better things to do with your time? Just loving escape.
Huntress! Huck a hatchet at them for spite.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PMush Perfect posted:

Huntress! Huck a hatchet at them for spite.
The nice thing about Blight is that you can pinball around and swat them in the face when they do that.

Wondering if it works with a Mori now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Meridian posted:

Yeah it's a great perk on Huntress for sure.
Yeah, M&A, BBQ, Whispers and Bitter Murmur. It's a very fun mix that usually ends with either a 4K or a 0K, depending on how hard I tunnel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rydiafan posted:

They're probably trying to get some farm off you. When I get dudes who completely clown on me and are teabagging in the vestibule I just walk off.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You get a little farm too if you hit them and some want to be downed for the crawl out achievement.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, M&A, BBQ, Whispers and Bitter Murmur. It's a very fun mix that usually ends with either a 4K or a 0K, depending on how hard I tunnel.

I run Nurse's instead of bitter murmur. It pairs stupidly well with Monitor.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

For reals, though. Does anybody know what's up with this matchmaking? I'm a 15 killer and I just faced an 11, two 7s, and a loving 2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Meridian posted:

I run Nurse's instead of bitter murmur. It pairs stupidly well with Monitor.
I'll probably run Nurse's once I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rydiafan posted:

For reals, though. Does anybody know what's up with this matchmaking? I'm a 15 killer and I just faced an 11, two 7s, and a loving 2.
I believe it's based on your skill level with the individual killer to some extent, which is perhaps some bullshit because the difference between various survivors vs. various killers will be quite different. And it will probably eventually widen the parameters so that you get a game in a reasonable amount of time.