Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

I saw it brought up elsewhere, but it's neat how this episode shows that Reiner was treated like garbage, even by his fellow Warriors, and only became the Armored because of manipulation on Marcel's part.

And then he gets inside the walls, joins the 104th, and finds that he both excels, and is respected and treated well. By the "Devils".

To be fair, he had it easier inside the walls. Having passed Warrior training and having taken part in an actual war, he was like a college student forced to take a class in an elementary school. It's easy to be the responsible and upstanding one when you are the second best soldier in your unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Gantolandon posted:

To be fair, he had it easier inside the walls. Having passed Warrior training and having taken part in an actual war, he was like a college student forced to take a class in an elementary school. It's easy to be the responsible and upstanding one when you are the second best soldier in your unit.

Especially since the biggest worry on their minds is the Colossal or Armored Titans attacking again, which... well, Reiner doesn't have to worry about.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's funny that despite being shifter titans and actually being in a war, the first time they see a titan one of them gets eaten and they all poo poo their pants and run away

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 21, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

He still outscored Bert and Annie, which is pretty good considering where he started. (Even with Annie sandbagging a bit).

Reiner managed to be the hero he dreamed of being... while betraying everyone who idolized him.

No wonder he snapped.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Really like the idea that the entire titan invasion was something a bunch of kids had to make up on the fly after their actual leader got killed.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
drat Annie, why'd you gotta be like that to Reiner? I didnt see her do anything either when Marcell got eaten

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The thing I'm most curious about is still the framing at the very start of season 4 - that Falco mentions fighting within Paradis even though he shouldn't have any experience of that yet. One idea I've had is that Falco has "already" inherited the Armored Titan at some point in the future, and that this entire segment is him trying to reconcile his existing memories with new, simultaneous ones from Reiner. Yes I have read Slaughterhouse-Five recently why do you ask

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The thing I'm most curious about is still the framing at the very start of season 4 - that Falco mentions fighting within Paradis even though he shouldn't have any experience of that yet. One idea I've had is that Falco has "already" inherited the Armored Titan at some point in the future, and that this entire segment is him trying to reconcile his existing memories with new, simultaneous ones from Reiner. Yes I have read Slaughterhouse-Five recently why do you ask

Well, I feel like an idiot. I assumed that it was because he was an Eldian and the will of Ymir (???) had decided he should get a memory from inside Paradis, but this makes way more sense. The only other character we've seen who had this experience was Eren, and he was injected not long after.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Remember when owl started talking about armin and mikasa and then eren's dad asked him what the hell he's talking about then he just went "uh, dude, I have no loving idea"

I want a follow up on that

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do we have any confirmation that titan shifters die after 13 years? Seems like maybe instead of actually dieing, maybe they get additional insight into the past/future and the Marlyans came up with the "13 years" myth to keep them constantly circulating shifter powers to new people before the old ones get memories of the true history of the Eldians, Marlyans, and Paradis. Not just what they've been indoctrinated to by the Marlyans.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Do we have any confirmation that titan shifters die after 13 years? Seems like maybe instead of actually dieing, maybe they get additional insight into the past/future and the Marlyans came up with the "13 years" myth to keep them constantly circulating shifter powers to new people before the old ones get memories of the true history of the Eldians, Marlyans, and Paradis. Not just what they've been indoctrinated to by the Marlyans.

This crossed my mind (and I want it to be true for narrative and thematic reasons), but I rewatched the scenes with the Owl and noticed that he was coughing blood after he transformed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Uri was about the same age as Rodd and he was looking pretty bad before he transferred the Founding to Frieda.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

“You’re a good guy. I hope you live a long time.”

Really good line in a season that is doing everything possible to complicate who the “good guys” are.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Really like the idea that the entire titan invasion was something a bunch of kids had to make up on the fly after their actual leader got killed.

One scene that got cut that I wish they had included was Bert and Ernie riding on Annie's back while she lured a horde of Titans to the wall before they kicked it. And they were so not in control of the situation and like "gently caress this was a bad idea".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Episode 1 of Ilse's journal is super important. Episode 2 with the cook off and the big poo is not important but great

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really into this season's ED

The OP is pretty good too. I prefer red swan but the visuals in this one are definitely hitting a strong note for me.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Red swan is the best but this op is just so... different, it feels so... wrong. It's good

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Full stop, I didnt fully understand the kenny/annie interaction at first. The "illegitimate daughter" thing was just a bullshit excuse she gave when she was trailing the military police for info about the king behind the walls.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I really love the OP song. The TV size of it is on Spotify, I listen every day.

The full version of the ED is on there too, I listen to that every day as well.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Worried about Eren going on a murder spree on the Marleyan Citizenry. Also drat his face looks so much older and dead inside. He must have seen some something extra lovely to look like that.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 22, 2020

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Annointed posted:

Worried about Eren going on a murder spree on the Marleyan Citizenry. Also drat his face looks so much older and dead inside. He must have seen some something extra lovely to look like that.

I wonder how much of it is Armin getting access to Bertholt's memories and telling them just what the shifters have been through.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
Didn't he also see something when he touched Historia's hand? I don't remember if it actually showed anything last season

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren was already dying inside at the end of last season.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grisha's memories started flooding in when Eren read the journals they found in the basement.

At the very end of last season, after having had a year to digest them, he was nearly in tears because everything they were finding on their trip to the shore was just as he'd seen in the inherited memories - as if he'd been desperately wishing they weren't true.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Thoughts from the rewatch of Ilse's Notebook and a first watch of the contemporary OVAs:

- The cooking one is stupid as hell and I loved it. The other one was whatever. I don't think I got anything more out of a rewatch of Ilse's Notebook, but it did prompt some thoughts on abnormal titans.
- We've seen two pure titans capable of speech: the one that speaks to Ilse and Connie's mother. We don't know if this is related to them being abnormal titans or even what causes abnormal titans to exist at all. Shifters can be capable of speech, but it seems to be a function of their anatomy (Zeke can speak just fine, Ymir has problems but can make herself understood) as opposed to their will.

Small things I've wondered about between the current season and the rewatch:

- It seems like shifters will automatically heal unless they will themselves not to (Reiner and his arm in season 2, Eren and his leg in the present), but that makes some of the characters seem a bit like idiots in retrospect. With all the training injuries that Eren likely got (such as in episode 3, hitting his head followed by the steam in the dining hall), how did no one ever noticed that there was something very strange about how he never stayed injured? Did RBA never notice that Eren was steaming on occasion?
- Why did Annie let Armin go when she was hunting Eren during the scouting expedition? She never gave a gently caress about killing people and Armin was the smartest, so why let him live?
- Allowing relatives to compete for shifter positions seems like a mistake. Marcel promoted Reiner and sabotaged Porco to save his brother, and Reiner is already going down the same path with Falco and Gabi. Are we going to see the same story play out on the other side with Colt and Falco? What does Marley gain from allowing family loyalties to override loyalty to the military state?
- Certain characters are missing character development and I feel like we should have seen something after three seasons (Connie being the most blatant one). Is this a case of there being content from the manga that was cut?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

- We've seen two pure titans capable of speech: the one that speaks to Ilse and Connie's mother. We don't know if this is related to them being abnormal titans or even what causes abnormal titans to exist at all. Shifters can be capable of speech, but it seems to be a function of their anatomy (Zeke can speak just fine, Ymir has problems but can make herself understood) as opposed to their will.

Abnormals seem to be a product of people with strong drives that stay with them even as Titans. So Dina ignored Bert and went to her husband's house (where she killed his new wife) and followed his son, or how one of Ymir's cultists managed to suppress her impulses completely when she thinks she's found Lady Ymir again, only giving in to them when she finds that Ilse isn't Ymir.

Maera Sior posted:

Small things I've wondered about between the current season and the rewatch:

- It seems like shifters will automatically heal unless they will themselves not to (Reiner and his arm in season 2, Eren and his leg in the present), but that makes some of the characters seem a bit like idiots in retrospect. With all the training injuries that Eren likely got (such as in episode 3, hitting his head followed by the steam in the dining hall), how did no one ever noticed that there was something very strange about how he never stayed injured? Did RBA never notice that Eren was steaming on occasion?

Apparently not. But most of the injuries he healed probably looked like minor ones, and Reiner expected the only titan they were after was the Founder. Finding out that there was one in circulation changed things pretty quickly.

Maera Sior posted:

- Why did Annie let Armin go when she was hunting Eren during the scouting expedition? She never gave a gently caress about killing people and Armin was the smartest, so why let him live?

Annie and Armin both passed up a lot of chances to get the other, despite knowing they were the biggest threats. It's a weird little running thing.

Maera Sior posted:

- Allowing relatives to compete for shifter positions seems like a mistake. Marcel promoted Reiner and sabotaged Porco to save his brother, and Reiner is already going down the same path with Falco and Gabi. Are we going to see the same story play out on the other side with Colt and Falco? What does Marley gain from allowing family loyalties to override loyalty to the military state?

Well, they allow families with multiple talented candidates to put them all in the list. Making a rule against it means exchanging a chance of losing a rising star like Gabi for a guarantee. Further, close relatives inherit more memories most of the time, letting them adapt more quickly to the role.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maera Sior posted:

I believe you're severely misunderstanding the person most visibly horrified over Reiner's call to kill Marco, and who later on broke down crying when she still failed to capture Eren after all the blood she spilled in the attempt.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The way I see it, Annie has severe anger problems (kicking Reiner to a bloody pulp, breaking her father's leg in the OVA), but doesn't want to kill people who aren't threatening her. Hence why she mainly attacked soldiers who got in her way or posed some sort of threat. Because even when she was brutal with those kills, she was still horrified when Eren knocked her into the church and made her crush a bunch of civilians. This last episode also made it clear that she doesn't believe the propaganda that Marley spews and has no sense of superiority or patriotism. She's out there entirely for the sake of herself and loved ones.
She and Armin have a bit of a modestly friendly relationship, so she probably wasn't able to distance herself and think of him as an insect
And, as chiasaur11 said, Armin and Annie's strategically reckless back and forth is a bit of a running dynamic.

The OVA is really interesting because you've got Annie struggling with why she's invested in this missing person's case when their end goal will result in everyone's deaths anyway.
And then she eats a donut. Watch "Wall Sina, Goodbye".

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 23, 2020

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

There is at least one instance when it happens while others (including the viewers) are watching.

It's the scene where other recruits are mocking him, so it looks like a comedic indication of shame even for someone who spots it. If we, the people watching the anime, didn't realize something is up, can we really expect Connie Springer to figure it out? Not even Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie could reasonably expect to find the Founding Titan among a bunch of random trainees after all.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Beefstew posted:

She and Armin have a bit of a modestly friendly relationship, so she probably wasn't able to distance herself and think of him as an insect

That would presumably be stuff they cut from the manga, because I'm seeing none of that in the anime itself.

Gantolandon posted:

There is at least one instance when it happens while others (including the viewers) are watching.

It's the scene where other recruits are mocking him, so it looks like a comedic indication of shame even for someone who spots it. If we, the people watching the anime, didn't realize something is up, can we really expect Connie Springer to figure it out? Not even Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie could reasonably expect to find the Founding Titan among a bunch of random trainees after all.

But there was never any other time where a reckless Eren (and we know that's his default mode) was injured during training and healed bizarrely quickly? I would think that almost everyone should have been suspicious that he was either faking injuries ("Just walked it off? Must not have been as bad as you said.") or there was something superhuman about him.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't think Annie is nearly as heartless as she presents herself as. Asking Reiner if he's sure he's ok with killing 'your friends' seems like she's really trying to get out of doing it without actually saying it to me. Especially since Reiner replies that he keeps telling her they're not his friends which makes it sound like its something she brings up a lot.

I do buy that she loving hates Reiner though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unless someone outright regrows an arm I'll probably assume they're just lucky or unusually tough before suspecting they have superpowers. And a small amount of steam can sometimes rise off people due to humidity or sweat so it's not a guaranteed sign for the shifters.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I believe you're severely misunderstanding the person most visibly horrified over Reiner's call to kill Marco, and who later on broke down crying when she still failed to capture Eren after all the blood she spilled in the attempt.

All of this stuff might be explicitly laid out in the manga, but it's not in the anime. Yes, Annie is upset at sending Marco to his death, but there's a lot of other emotions: Uncertainty of what's going on with Eren, fear of Reiner bashing her head in later, fear of being called out for not being sufficiently Marleyan by Reiner (because we know that's a cudgel he likes to use), disapproval at leaving Marco to suffer (because when she does kill humans, she prefers to do so quickly), the cognitive dissonance of her jobs as a cadet and an Eldian shifter. When she was crying in the forest, she had already been captured and threatened with torture, and she literally had Eren snatched from her just when she thought she was going to have a chance go home. She's crying out of rage and frustration and powerlessness, not because a person died by her hands. If she couldn't handle killing, she wouldn't have made it through her job destroying a small country.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Unless someone outright regrows an arm I'll probably assume they're just lucky or unusually tough before suspecting they have superpowers. And a small amount of steam can sometimes rise off people due to humidity or sweat so it's not a guaranteed sign for the shifters.

Aren't they also like 12 or something during training? Normal kids heal stupid quick.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maera Sior posted:

All of this stuff might be explicitly laid out in the manga, but it's not in the anime. Yes, Annie is upset at sending Marco to his death, but there's a lot of other emotions: Uncertainty of what's going on with Eren, fear of Reiner bashing her head in later, fear of being called out for not being sufficiently Marleyan by Reiner (because we know that's a cudgel he likes to use), disapproval at leaving Marco to suffer (because when she does kill humans, she prefers to do so quickly), the cognitive dissonance of her jobs as a cadet and an Eldian shifter. When she was crying in the forest, she had already been captured and threatened with torture, and she literally had Eren snatched from her just when she thought she was going to have a chance go home. She's crying out of rage and frustration and powerlessness, not because a person died by her hands. If she couldn't handle killing, she wouldn't have made it through her job destroying a small country.

Watch Annie's OVA.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Aren't they also like 12 or something during training? Normal kids heal stupid quick.

It's also Eren, who'd try to claim a broken arm was just a scratch if it let him kill Titans sooner. He probably took serious injuries, said it was nothing, and healed so fast it just looked like he was right.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Watch Annie's OVA.

I'll probably get to it next week.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I was thinking more along the lines of artistic liberty. It's not unusual for anime to do odd things like that and not have it be a clue to something more. Back in season one, there was debate as to weather Mikasa's knife charge at a burglar was artistic liberty or a sign of something more, and it wasn't until much later that we learned it was her awakening.

Trying to find hidden clues has been kinda sketchy with this series because something like the steam coming off the body had about the same weight as Sasha's cravings for potatoes.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Maera Sior posted:

(because when she does kill humans, she prefers to do so quickly)

I think that guy she span around like a yoyo would beg to differ :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched Lost Girls last night, and the Annie episodes really helped flesh her out, cos you really don't get much to work with in the first 3 seasons. She's a bit of an enigma. Wish these OVAs were easier to track down/publicized, I had no idea some of these even existed!