Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hobo Clown posted:

Hahaha did I just see Wonder Woman lasso a cloud

Edit: followed by her lassoing a lightning bolt

Metallica's Ride the Lightning was released in 1984.

I want to believe that was a deliberate reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Hey so what happened to the nukes that were launched that weren't wish nukes?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The far superior movie involves cutting out 90% of Maxwell scenes for Barbara and Diana doing a "will they / won't they" budding lesbian romance hunting down the origins of the stone interrupted with the return of steve, ending with a flip where Barbara is the one who gets the love and truth and meaning appeal to renounce and Maxwell gets loving zapped tbh.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Oh man the woman that gets offend by her husband in the tea shop is credited as "Nasty Woman", Jesus.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Grem posted:

Hey so what happened to the nukes that were launched that weren't wish nukes?

I’d completely lost the plot by this point, I can not help you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why is she so smug that she didn’t own a tv then has an entire room just full of tvs? It’s not even played as a joke or anything

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Clown posted:

I wonder what Bruce Wayne was up to during the Magic Wish Crisis of 1984

kid was at Disney World with his temporarily resurrected parents

coolusername posted:

The far superior movie involves cutting out 90% of Maxwell scenes for Barbara and Diana doing a "will they / won't they" budding lesbian romance hunting down the origins of the stone interrupted with the return of steve, ending with a flip where Barbara is the one who gets the love and truth and meaning appeal to renounce and Maxwell gets loving zapped tbh.

man, if only they'd make that kind of movie

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Why does the plane have fuel!?!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Why does the plane have fuel!?!

Why does it have munitions under the wings?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Wonder Woman ejected a bullet then punched it into a lamp and the lamp went in the evil genies eyes

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hobo Clown posted:

I wonder what Bruce Wayne was up to during the Magic Wish Crisis of 1984

Do you think he wished to have his mom back? Do you think he then later wished for her to die so everything would be fixed?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wonder Woman ejected a bullet then punched it into a lamp and the lamp went in the evil genies eyes

I thought she was going to fire the bullet by hitting it just right in the air, but nope.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The tone of this movie is confusing, both incredibly horny but goofy as hell and somehow not gay enough.That fanny pack I swear.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 26, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Why is it a Tornado with a tandem cockpit? Where'd they get the fuel to fly *back*? Why didn't they need oxygen in the cockpit?

Seriously, this movie makes me very nervous about Rogue Squadron. This movie tried to be too goddamned much, and that's one primary thing that made the newer SW movies suck.

I would have preferred the ending Maxwell Lord got in the comics - there, he had mind controlling powers and took over Superman. WW manages to get the lasso around him, and asks him what she'd have to do to stop him. He says "kill me," and being the Amazonian warrior she is, she snaps his neck like a twig. But he anticipated that, and the visual of Wonder Woman killing him in cold blood is broadcasted worldwide.

I also really didn't appreciate the OOH LOOK HE'S JUST LIKE TRUMP dog-whistling. That collapses when he suddenly cares about his son.

But the worst part is how cheesy her flight revelation was. You could just imagine they THOUGHT that was going to be the landmark scene, but it fell flat.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 26, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
First Wonder Woman also looked cheap but people showered that movie with praise

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

hump day bitches! posted:

The tone of this movie is confusing both incredibly horny but goofy as hell.That fanny pack I swear.

Should have went goofy with it hut Gal Gadot only has the emotional range of a brick wall

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I liked the Lynda Carter cameo during the credits, at least, god drat she's still an amazing-looking woman, and maybe that paves the way for Nubia, Donna Troy, and the other "Wonder Women."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Do you think he wished to have his mom back? Do you think he then later wished for her to die so everything would be fixed?

It's pretty wild to think that every single person in the world renounced their magic wish and world peace was finally achieved but then everything goes back to the status quo by the time Batman Vs Superman happens

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This was alright, Pascal was fun to watch and the scenes of him rapidly granting wishes while being nervous and sweaty were the most engaging parts of the movie.

I also appreciated that at the end Lord is demanding more wishes at the expense of all life on earth while standing at a white house podium.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only thing missing from the end was the ultimate product placement with everyone breaking into a chorus of "I'd like to buy the world a Coke."

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It was bizarre that they did an entire 80s movie with seemingly no 80s music.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Alexander Hamilton posted:

They spent their budget for that using it in the trailers.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mcmagic posted:

I couldn't help but cringe at them showing Gal Gadot, literally an Israeli soldier, saving some little Arab kids.

It reeks of some social media intern at WB/DC letting the suits know that there's a lot of criticism of Gal Gadot for her involvement and propagandizing of the IDF on Twitter, Tumblr, etc and then they give Jenkins a note saying "HAVE WONDER WOMAN SAVE SOME BROWN KIDS".

It might've worked better if the whole sequence didn't look so loving cheap. The fan made superhero re-enactments on YT have better quality.

Grem posted:

Oh man the woman that gets offend by her husband in the tea shop is credited as "Nasty Woman", Jesus.

Gotta stick it to Trump!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Flying Zamboni posted:

This was alright, Pascal was fun to watch and the scenes of him rapidly granting wishes while being nervous and sweaty were the most engaging parts of the movie.

I also appreciated that at the end Lord is demanding more wishes at the expense of all life on earth while standing at a white house podium.

All the stuff where he used the magic artifact to become an evil genie was pretty great, especially the scene where the connects with Barbara and the two of them do a super team up, that ruled.

Now imagine if instead of being about Wonder Woman, it was just some random archeologist who wished for something important to her, emotionally. And instead of going to Egypt, they did anything else. And instead of the action scenes, the movie was forty minutes shorter.

It'd be a pretty good movie!

(Also ditch bringing back the dead, it's gross to have to kill tons of loved ones to save the day)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

They did nothing with the setting other than some visual gags about the fashion. You could have set this today and not needed to change anything other than having to explain why the rest of the Justice League aren't helping.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The one part of the movie with any gravitas was Diana being "selfish."

It's the scene you always wish you'd see in a Superman movie, where he's in his adolescence and he's forced to hold back and blend in when he knows he could take over the world with minimal effort. Seeing WW be vulnerable to that is just another aspect of this movie lost in the noise.

I also agree that even in 1984, her just having a job at the Smithsonian with no discernible academic credentials and being seemingly ageless for decades just doesn't wash. At least in The Man From Earth they explain it that he just "moves on" every decade or so.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This armor was forged by all gods to defeat all armies on earth simultaneously also the wings fall off if you punch them also it having wings is unrelated to me being able to fly

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This armor was forged by all gods to defeat all armies on earth simultaneously also the wings fall off if you punch them also it having wings is unrelated to me being able to fly

It's also just in my closet. No, why should I use it?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why is it a Tornado with a tandem cockpit?
It was a F-111, but yeah the more I think about the movie the less it makes sense. It was started up and flown by a guy that’s been dead for almost 70 years and is confused by an escalator.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what if just one guy watching TV had been like "drat bro I really wish you'd shut the gently caress up and let me get back to watching transformers"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

It was a F-111, but yeah the more I think about the movie the less it makes sense. It was started up and flown by a guy that’s been dead for almost 70 years and is confused by an escalator.

Nah, trust me, it was a Tornado with an F-111-style cockpit, which makes even less loving sense in either eventuality because the F-111 and Tornado were still front-line aircraft very much in use in 1984.

I mean, why not a Tomcat for full 80s nostalgia?!?! WHO CARES? TAKE THAT, TOP GUN 2! :shepface:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't find the post but someone mentioned the inconsistency of Diana saying she didn't have a tv and then later having a whole closet full of them and being confused about it not being played as a joke.

I was wondering the same. To be :goonsay: about it, they appeared to be mostly security monitors, which brings up the question "hey why does she have a closet full of security monitors?" But regardless they wouldn't really get commercial broadcasts.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did the son renounce his wish or not? Is it okay because he granted it nonmagically?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was wondering the same. To be :goonsay: about it, they appeared to be mostly security monitors, which brings up the question "hey why does she have a closet full of security monitors?" But regardless they wouldn't really get commercial broadcasts.

It was her "war room" presumably where she bases her superhero operations out of. The WW equivalent of a Batcave. Lol that they made it a closet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why is it a Tornado with a tandem cockpit? Where'd they get the fuel to fly *back*? Why didn't they need oxygen in the cockpit?

When the plane was first on screen it shows a 2 seat cockpit but the passenger seat is behind the pilot seat. Then all of a sudden the seats are next to each other. :cripes:

This movie does not make me hopeful for Warner Brothers 2021 films.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that the whole opening flashback is to establish "you can't get what you want by taking shortcuts" as a theme, which is a totally reasonable theme for a movie about wishes. But then that is never ever the theme and the theme is something more like "if you get what you want you will only want more" but then NEITHER theme applies to what the character is doing where she wishes to have a dead love back, and then just arbitrarily is faced with "you have to give it up or you lose your power, also you have to give it up or everyone dies directly, I guess the powers thing didn't really matter" like no connection to anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The more I think about it, WW84 surpasses Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad for worst DC comic book movie of the last 10 years.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
WTF when did she switch to the bird armor? She was just swinging from lightning out in the middle of nowhere.

This movie makes no loving sense.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 26, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like that the whole opening flashback is to establish "you can't get what you want by taking shortcuts" as a theme, which is a totally reasonable theme for a movie about wishes. But then that is never ever the theme and the theme is something more like "if you get what you want you will only want more" but then NEITHER theme applies to what the character is doing where she wishes to have a dead love back, and then just arbitrarily is faced with "you have to give it up or you lose your power, also you have to give it up or everyone dies directly, I guess the powers thing didn't really matter" like no connection to anything.

Brenda got the best deal out of all of it minus turning into cat woman at a furry convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Hello, my character arc is that I am so in love with wonder woman I want to become her, no wait, that doesn't matter, I take it back my new wish is to become a cheetah instead. Oh well, I died easily.