Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zodack posted:

Got through Volumes 8 and 9 last night, definitely got a good chuckle out of the resolution to Wrath.

Volume 8 felt like it didn't even happen, I finished it and went "oh okay, moving on". Nine on the other hand was pretty strong. The Wrath chapters and conflict imo were fairly uninteresting but everything else was hitting the cadence I was hoping for.

How did you like the end of 9 and the meeting with D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

How did you like the end of 9 and the meeting with D?

It was an interesting sequence. I liked the reveal, the "I'm drawn to her, am I in love with her?" stuff felt out of place but other than that it was a solid twist. I'm not sure how many things I believe Okina has set up from the beginning but it checked out really well and answered some lingering questions about Kumo's reincarnation. The story and conflict at large have done very little to make me care about D other than the mystery of her identity. Ostensibly the antagonist is Potimas and beyond that, "saving the world" but that doesn't seem like it's related to D so much as it's related to MA energy and the predecessors of the system. D's been an antagonist so far as she's hindered admins but that's about it. Ten volumes in though I'm a little tired of an invisible, ephemeral carrot being hung in front of my nose so Pomitas getting ready to do something is a relief. Even though it seems like it's going to be incredibly horrific. I've got my money on "stick reincarnation brains into human-type Glorias" somewhere down the line.

If I had to have a gripe about Volume 9 it would be White arbitrarily getting her powers back after getting drunk. From a story-moving-forward perspective I am very glad she's a combatant again but from a writing perspective it, like a lot of things that have happened recently, felt fairly arbitrary. Though I guess a silver platter and a cliche is how everything is set up for the reincarnations in this world.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zodack posted:

It was an interesting sequence. I liked the reveal, the "I'm drawn to her, am I in love with her?" stuff felt out of place but other than that it was a solid twist. I'm not sure how many things I believe Okina has set up from the beginning but it checked out really well and answered some lingering questions about Kumo's reincarnation. The story and conflict at large have done very little to make me care about D other than the mystery of her identity. Ostensibly the antagonist is Potimas and beyond that, "saving the world" but that doesn't seem like it's related to D so much as it's related to MA energy and the predecessors of the system. D's been an antagonist so far as she's hindered admins but that's about it. Ten volumes in though I'm a little tired of an invisible, ephemeral carrot being hung in front of my nose so Pomitas getting ready to do something is a relief. Even though it seems like it's going to be incredibly horrific. I've got my money on "stick reincarnation brains into human-type Glorias" somewhere down the line.

If I had to have a gripe about Volume 9 it would be White arbitrarily getting her powers back after getting drunk. From a story-moving-forward perspective I am very glad she's a combatant again but from a writing perspective it, like a lot of things that have happened recently, felt fairly arbitrary. Though I guess a silver platter and a cliche is how everything is set up for the reincarnations in this world.

With regard to White being drawn to her, if you look back at her and D's meeting in LN7 you'll note that D names her Shiraori, stating the naming of a god creates a special connection between the namer and namee. I'm only an English LN reader, and so only know up to LN11, but I believe that is where White's infatuation with D came from.

It also, interestingly, parallels her connection with Mother and kin-control back in LN3 and 4, so I wonder (future LN theories, don't know if they are right or wrong) if it will prove to be a point of weakness for D like Mother's connection to Kumoko turned out to be when she sent her parallel minds to attack Mother.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 21, 2021

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I recalled the Naming process during the reveal, I just didn't expect it to manifest quite in that way. I'm looking forward to eventually popping back to Shun's perspective with the knowledge of just how wildly outmatched they are. That cliffhanger went from "White and Sophia are strong and easily win this" to "oh poor Shun"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think there's also the fact that Kumoko was also an entity that spent time in the class while then having Wakaba's memories grafted onto her. There seems to be some sort of leaking divinity thing coming off of D since all the reincarnators mention some level of how beautiful and attention catching and everything she was. Like, the whole school seems to have looked at her from afar. So the spider part of her soul probably also spent lots of time looking at her, which is jumbled up in the memories and the true name linking.

Which makes sense given general Satan mythology about temptation, attraction, narcissism, and all that jazz. White's also got some real maternal complex poo poo going on too what with Oka and Ariel in addition to D.

Which, reminds me that I'm really interested in how team Demon Lord roped Sue into their plot. Did they threaten her with Shun, or did they promise her Shun? She at least seemed to feel real guilty about Julius, so I'm half hoping it isn't all just magical Alabama stuff with her.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
That's a great observation. I was thinking during the reveal how it was clever that Sophia talked about her old parents, yet Kumo basically said "I can hardly even remember their faces". Sophia and Fei also both comment on her allure which surprised me for a long time during the LNs as the anime painted her as some kind of... well, more typical isekai protag. Shut in gamer, if you will.

Sue is at the top of my "what is going on here" list, along with wanting to see how Shun reacts to maxing Taboo. I'm also curious as to how Sophia and co. can be so brutal and callous to their old classmates but the later volumes paint a decent picture with "can't defy the demon lord" and "Seven Deadly Sins skills alter your personality". Since I'm consuming this all at once I've got a bit of whiplash from the LN dropping that plotline like a hot potato.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

When I was reading the WNs it didn't even dawn on me for several chapters that the "cool beauty" everyone else kept mentioning was actually supposed to be Kumoko.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges posted:

Which makes sense given general Satan mythology about temptation, attraction, narcissism, and all that jazz. White's also got some real maternal complex poo poo going on too what with Oka and Ariel in addition to D.

It's kind of funny how on the nose D is with being Satan.

The evil god D
D evil
Devil.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In Sophia's case it's a combination of being raised by two spider monsters, literally being corrupted by jealousy, and the fact that everyone in the class treated her like poo poo.

Oni boy and the guy who just popped up to drop off an exploding sword haven't really done anything that bad to their former classmates. Like, sure beating them up is bad, but all of them are OP and there's loads of healers around.

I am interested on finding out whether Yuri has been a deep cover plant the whole time or if she actually got super brainwashed by Hugo. Especially since her religious zealotry is both out of character for her old life and out of character for the other Church reincarnators. Yaana's brief appearances indicate being a Saintess doesn't come with that level of religion either.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The evil god D
D evil
Devil.

Yeah, and then the maid lady showed up to take her back to hell.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Having come off volume 11 my interpretation was that the class was actually being nice to Sophia, she just assumed otherwise through Envy. That seems like how this author would do it anyway.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

Oni boy and the guy who just popped up to drop off an exploding sword haven't really done anything that bad to their former classmates. Like, sure beating them up is bad, but all of them are OP and there's loads of healers around.

I might have read the part in the WN instead of the LN, but I am pretty sure he straight up kills Anna (who is body shielding Shun) and then glibly says "Oh poo poo Shun sorry man I wasn't gonna kill you". Though I guess when you're OP for so long everyone who isn't a reincarnation starts to look like an NPC. Struck me as pretty callous

I'm not through LN10 or 11 yet but people keep talking so much about how Julius turned into dust and how a Rot attack destroys your body and I am fully prepared for his soul to still be around and have some other purpose.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 21, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Gyges posted:

Yeah, and then the maid lady showed up to take her back to hell.

That's a weird pun. "Meido" is a part of the Buddhist afterlife, also called Yomi.

I think D is Death. She's the grim reaper. She hates her job, though, and just wants to play video games and eat potato chips.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Having come off volume 11 my interpretation was that the class was actually being nice to Sophia, she just assumed otherwise through Envy. That seems like how this author would do it anyway.

They called her Real Horror Girl and vampire because of her fang and pale skin. I don't think she misinterpreted that.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
The bits of the LN from Sophia's pov where mostly where she had envy issues even before being reincarnated, where she was jealous of all the other girls in the class and hated the "Rihoko" nickname. Hilariously, she was all "New world, new me" after being reborn and then everything went to poo poo very quickly, then being raised by Kumoko and getting the Envy skill pretty much ruined any chance of that.

Gyges posted:

I am interested on finding out whether Yuri has been a deep cover plant the whole time or if she actually got super brainwashed by Hugo. Especially since her religious zealotry is both out of character for her old life and out of character for the other Church reincarnators. Yaana's brief appearances indicate being a Saintess doesn't come with that level of religion either.

Yuri's zealotry has been explained in that after being abandoned after being reborn she pretty much clung to the only thing that made sense in this new world, which is that the System's voice speaks to her in Japanese which was a link to her old life, so when she's introduced to a religion that is pretty much "The voice is actually good" she was 100% down for that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I can definitely see the draw of a religion where God speaks directly to you whenever you do a good enough job to improve yourself in some way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zodack posted:

I might have read the part in the WN instead of the LN, but I am pretty sure he straight up kills Anna (who is body shielding Shun) and then glibly says "Oh poo poo Shun sorry man I wasn't gonna kill you". Though I guess when you're OP for so long everyone who isn't a reincarnation starts to look like an NPC. Struck me as pretty callous

Anna jumped in front of the sword. Yes, she did it to protect Shun, but the level of a strike sufficient to kill Anna and one sufficient to kill Shun are pretty far apart. Given all the actions up to that point it seems way more likely he actually wasn't trying to kill Shun.

Team Deamon Lord do really hate elves though, for vey good reasons. So it is possible he put a little more into the swing when he realized Anna was in the way. Alternatively it was all part of a plan to make Shun max out Taboo so his side would listen to reason.

quote:

I'm not through LN10 or 11 yet but people keep talking so much about how Julius turned into dust and how a Rot attack destroys your body and I am fully prepared for his soul to still be around and have some other purpose.

Yeah, there's a whole lot of built in back doors for both he and the rest of his party to actually be alive. I don't think they are, but definitely a few outs for him to pop back up.

x1o posted:

Yuri's zealotry has been explained in that after being abandoned after being reborn she pretty much clung to the only thing that made sense in this new world, which is that the System's voice speaks to her in Japanese which was a link to her old life, so when she's introduced to a religion that is pretty much "The voice is actually good" she was 100% down for that.

That's what Shun and the gang deduced. Which isn't necessarily wrong, but we've already got fake brainwashed Sue and lots of as yet paid off talk about how super scheming Duncan is. I could see her as either working with White or playing up the zealotry on Duncan's orders to better cover for faking brainwashing.

Sue was either purposefully acting suspicious, is a bad actor, or is feeling some real deep guilt. All of which are possible, but the Church was in on this scheme so if Sue isn't actually brainwashed others could also be playing along.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

That's a weird pun. "Meido" is a part of the Buddhist afterlife, also called Yomi.

I think D is Death. She's the grim reaper. She hates her job, though, and just wants to play video games and eat potato chips.

Hah, I didn’t get the Meido pun. Thanks for that.

White seems to be the one getting the grim reaper role, with her scythe, infused with her own divine power and wearing long robes.

How “repent” kept getting repeated when Kumoko reached taboo 10 in the anime makes me think that D was turning Isekai world into one of the levels of hell in Yomi.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zodack posted:

I'm not sure how many things I believe Okina has set up from the beginning but it checked out really well and answered some lingering questions about Kumo's reincarnation.

The webnovel definitely had a bunch of parts where the author made up things as they went (including one plot point where they had to improvise to fix a plot hole, which kinda came back to bite them later).
The printed release is basically them writing the story a second time (almost no text was directly taken from the WN past volume 3, even when it describes the same events), so there's a lot more room for setup that only pays off much later.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

Anna jumped in front of the sword. Yes, she did it to protect Shun, but the level of a strike sufficient to kill Anna and one sufficient to kill Shun are pretty far apart. Given all the actions up to that point it seems way more likely he actually wasn't trying to kill Shun.

Team Deamon Lord do really hate elves though, for vey good reasons. So it is possible he put a little more into the swing when he realized Anna was in the way. Alternatively it was all part of a plan to make Shun max out Taboo so his side would listen to reason.

I realize this line of thinking is fairly arbitrary but with as much as the LN talks about Kumo and others having high levels of time perception and other reflexes to keep up with Skanda and the other high speed skills, Wrath could have easily stopped his strike before it hit Anna. I'd be interested to know if it was a ploy to max Shun's Taboo. I don't think they've spoken much about the plan on the demon side at all regarding the hero or the reincarnations other than now I know they really want to wipe out the Elves (or at least Potimas).

Do they talk about why specifically they needed to kill Julius? Pass the Hero title on to a reincarnation? Protect Ariel from a strong Hero title user? For as much time as the LN seems to be about to spend on his past and making out what a good person he wanted to be it seems like an easier solution would be to capture him and have him max Taboo. Would make recruiting Shun and the others much simpler.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zodack posted:

I realize this line of thinking is fairly arbitrary but with as much as the LN talks about Kumo and others having high levels of time perception and other reflexes to keep up with Skanda and the other high speed skills, Wrath could have easily stopped his strike before it hit Anna. I'd be interested to know if it was a ploy to max Shun's Taboo. I don't think they've spoken much about the plan on the demon side at all regarding the hero or the reincarnations other than now I know they really want to wipe out the Elves (or at least Potimas).

Do they talk about why specifically they needed to kill Julius? Pass the Hero title on to a reincarnation? Protect Ariel from a strong Hero title user? For as much time as the LN seems to be about to spend on his past and making out what a good person he wanted to be it seems like an easier solution would be to capture him and have him max Taboo. Would make recruiting Shun and the others much simpler.

The fact that they are (presumably) revisiting Julius's death in the next volume makes me think that there's probably more to his death than meets the eye. Maybe he's not actually dead and his hero title was removed or disabled somehow (Sophia can disable skills and titles, Oka can remove them entirely, people can also surrender them voluntarily)

Or perhaps he was betrayed by one of his party.

I imagine the hero sword is important given its introduction in LN11.

My guess is White and co needed the hero sword for their plan to break the system or free Sariel or kill Potamis, so they needed to keep him alive until he recovered it. We know in LN11 that very specific directions were given to Julius about the location of the sword in the last chapter, which seems really suspiciously like someone was trying to get him to recover it. Perhaps they killed him after he recovered it for their own use, or planned on making the next hero use it in a way they wanted and pumping Shun's Taboo was a ploy to get him aware of the System and make him amenable to joining their side.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Nitrousoxide posted:

The evil god D
D evil
Devil.

Despite her claims, D has been more benevolent than evil so far. She didn't have to save her classmates. She didn't have to hook them up with special abilities. She didn't have to leave backdoors in the system (presumed). To me it seems like she couldn't wait any longer for the locals to figure out how to fix the world, so she brought in the reincarnations to stir things up.

She's the administrator of the underworld, not the circles of hell. That's a much more neutral position. So what if she wants to have a bit of fun while saving a planet? You can hardly blame her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

She did create tentacle rape monsters as described in LN 11.

I mean, I presume she created them. I suppose it's possible they predated the system or someone else created that monster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They probably do want the hero sword for their plan, or at least White wants it for ant-Potimas/Gulie/D insurance. Being able to possible kill Ariel is also a good reason to off him, and between Gulie, White, and whatever assortment of system hacks D left at her house there's a decent chance they could control who gets the title next.

Most likely they needed Julius to live long enough for Potimas to try and machinate with the sealed Hero sword. The hero sword being sealed away in the castle does seem to indicate that someone else found a way to gently caress with who gets the hero title in the past though. Otherwise it would be sealed like the Demon Lord sword, at Hero headquarters.

All that aside, Julius was a leading figure for stopping the war and didn't seem to possess any skills that would raise his Taboo. He may have instinctually not trusted the elves, but a new and weaker hero would be better for The Plan. Especially if they could make sure Shun gets the title and then work to raise his Taboo, which seems way easier for the riencarnators to do. Successfully getting the Hero at least semi-on their side would be very helpful in reining in other groups and giving a pliable leader to the non-Demon Lord aligned reincarnators. Especially since Oka burned the hell out of that bridge trying to save them all.

I wonder if Sue was the back up plan to raise that taboo.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, I presume she created them. I suppose it's possible they predated the system or someone else created that monster.

I'd lean toward another successful Potimas random idea sold for research funds.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if she did create them, being an "evil god" that loves video games it'd be totally something she'd do for shits and giggles, not caring about the horrifying results.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

New manga chapter is out and lol

Also, my boy Julius

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 22, 2021

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/FjUSkIO/1/1/

Ah there it is. Is mangadex ever getting back up again jeez.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nitrousoxide posted:

New manga chapter is out and lol

Also, my boy Julius

Now which of the two is he talking about here?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As usual, the manga's design for Ariel is both better and simpler than the LN/anime design.

They probably could have saved themselves a ton of trouble if they'd just let them do all the anime designs.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

As usual, the manga's design for Ariel is both better and simpler than the LN/anime design.

They probably could have saved themselves a ton of trouble if they'd just let them do all the anime designs.

???

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's certainly not the coloring I would have gone with but my point stands.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Sindai posted:

That's certainly not the coloring I would have gone with but my point stands.

Okay, now I'm curious: Do you also prefer Dawn of Sorrow's Soma Cruz design over the Aria of Sorrow design?

Not meant as an insult. That's just the kind of difference in aesthetic I feel between the LN art and the manga.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PV out and we see the scale of the puppets and they are probably between 3 and 4 meters tall.

https://youtu.be/jXg-PWXs6SU

Rael is gonna look like this in the anime.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Out of curiosity, how much about D and White's true backstory do you think Ariel knows? She's pretty much the only person White actually holds real conversations with, and they do drink together. Does she know her girl is a double spider and a memory fragment of a top tier god?

Nitrousoxide posted:

PV out and we see the scale of the puppets and they are probably between 3 and 4 meters tall.

https://youtu.be/jXg-PWXs6SU

Rael is gonna look like this in the anime.

Weren't the puppets genderless until someone got bored and started making upgrades?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, how much about D and White's true backstory do you think Ariel knows? She's pretty much the only person White actually holds real conversations with, and they do drink together. Does she know her girl is a double spider and a memory fragment of a top tier god?

Weren't the puppets genderless until someone got bored and started making upgrades?

I'm pretty sure, despite White's occasional use of the term "brother", that all the spiders are female, since Ariel basically described the Egg Laying skill as parthenogenesis.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, all the spiders are female. I meant the puppet shells themselves, not the spiders inside.

I find it hilarious that despite being spider monsters they're all super into human girl poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Next episode is called “Am I getting ahead of myself” so it’s FOR SURE the beach episode.

Looks like they’re skipping the return to the human kingdoms to save Katia’s family to go directly to the elf village and next episode is their entrance to the Labyrinth, so human beach episode will line up.

No complaints about the animation this week so that’s good.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Haha, I saw at least one person who observed the puppet taratect do the finger-controlled-web-puppeting thing and now thinks the Demon Lord is a more lifelike Puppet Taratect.

I mean...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nitrousoxide posted:

Next episode is called “Am I getting ahead of myself” so it’s FOR SURE the beach episode.

Looks like they’re skipping the return to the human kingdoms to save Katia’s family to go directly to the elf village and next episode is their entrance to the Labyrinth, so human beach episode will line up.

No complaints about the animation this week so that’s good.

That's a weird choice, since going back is important for Shun maxing out his Taboo. Also it's when they explain his power.

I haven't watched it yet, did they at least keep Anna being brainwashed?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges posted:

That's a weird choice, since going back is important for Shun maxing out his Taboo. Also it's when they explain his power.

I imagine people are just going to give more Taboo per mercy use than they did in the Novel. He probably got one level for unlocking Mercy, 3 for Katia, will get 3 for Anna, and maybe another 3 levels of taboo for someone else.

Honestly better that each person give more taboo than have him use it on a bunch of nobodies like Katia's parents who are literally just Taboo pińatas with no characters for Shun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Gyges posted:

They didn't actually, unless they somehow work it in just before the Labyrinth. And the fight Shun has with Ronaldo during the rescue is also important I'd say, since it provides context for where the human protagonist stands compared to the spider one.