Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm gonna watch Sonny Boy, and probably the PA Works aquarium show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I can't believe I forgot about these, thanks.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Joshlemagne posted:

Okay I just watched the first episode of realist hero. First we get a big exposition dump about how there's a bunch of monsters that want to blow up the world or whatever and the only thing holding them back is this empire, which relies on financial aid from all the countries to sustain this defense (from the world-up-blowing monsters). Then we get a specific scene of one of the empire people being all "Our troops have good morale but it's a good thing all these other countries are giving us financial aid so we can support them, otherwise we would no longer be able to stop the monsters from blowing up the world". Then the entire second half of the episode is all about the main character trying to weasel out of paying the financial aid as though the empire was demanding it through threat of force or something. And his long-term plan is to build up an army for his kingdom, not to help out with the whole keeping out the monsters that want to blow up the world plan, but rather to backstab the empire that is doing that in order to save money. Am I missing something? Is the main character just a complete loving moron?

I nearly nodded off reading that description, the actual show must be indescribably worse.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/1412540603934466050?s=19

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

What is the deal with this show? Are we supposed to like the main character or think he's a piece of poo poo? Like a slice of life about a healthy-ish poly throuple would be cool, but I'm not getting that vibe.

It's a Hiroyuki series which means don't expect to take it too seriously because it's first and foremost a comedy about complete idiots.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My local theatre is showing “Josee, The Tiger and the Fish” on Monday so I grabbed a ticket for it. Gonna go see non Shonen Jump movies at the big theatre before they recover from COVID and have an excuse to never show anime again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Apraxin posted:

I enjoyed the first ep of Kageki Shoujo and it's giant, doofus protagonist.

https://i.imgur.com/4T5mEf8.mp4

That looks like an Oxygen Not Included character.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

My local theatre is showing “Josee, The Tiger and the Fish” on Monday so I grabbed a ticket for it. Gonna go see non Shonen Jump movies at the big theatre before they recover from COVID and have an excuse to never show anime again.

Glad you posted this since it got me to look it up and find out that it's playing near me too. Definitely gonna check that out :cheerdoge:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Glad I could help. :cheers:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

vinland saga s2 will be happening

https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1412744717612290049

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
FARMING SAGA LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The first episode of "Cheat Kusushi no Slow Life" is pleasant enough. It's definitely reordering the story vs. the manga, starting off after the main character is established, though I expect they'll have a flashback episode later in the season. Noela the werewolf is cute, so's Mina the ghost, and they're trying hard to be just a safe, cute show.
The animation is serviceable, but nothing to write home about, same for the voice acting and music. Still a bit harem-y in the storyline, but at least it looks like they've dropped the cringeworthy gay elf plot.

Since the only other shows I'm interested in this season are Jahy (which is a one-shot in August) and Maidragon S (later today), unless something particularly egregious happens I'll stick with it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

jahy's not a one-shot, it's gonna run into fall season so they're starting it late.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Ah, the late start and lack of information on series length confoozed me.

Meanwhile, Maidragon is back, and I'm happy.

And yes, they're doing the story with the dick. :holy:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do we have a Maidragon thread for Season 2?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Doodles posted:

they're doing the story with the dick. :holy:

KyoAni adapt something that isn't kind of dogshit challenge

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

KyoAni adapt something that isn't kind of dogshit challenge

They did this ten years ago with Nichijou and the people rejected their message.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after disasters like Promised Neverland and Shadows House i'm glad someone is out here respecting the source material

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sound euphonium's source material is decent

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lol

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

dogsicle posted:

after disasters like Promised Neverland and Shadows House i'm glad someone is out here respecting the source material

Shadows House was a disaster? I'm not familiar with the source material, but the show seemed fine, just very slow to make progress. Promised Neverland S2 was a train made of garbage that derailed into a toxic landfill.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
eupho has 1 of 10+ novels available stateside so we'll just set that discussion aside

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

shadows house abridged some stuff and added an anime-original climax at the end, it's not a disaster just different

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

eupho has 1 of 10+ novels available stateside so we'll just set that discussion aside
but i read on animefeminist that -

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Do we have a Maidragon thread for Season 2?

Not yet. You volunteering?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

dogsicle posted:

Wasn't Promised Neverland and Wonder Egg Priority both done by Cloverworks? I also recall that they were involved in Darling in the Franxx, so I'm surprised Shadow House apparently turned out well enough

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doodles posted:

Not yet. You volunteering?
I'm bad at those.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Shadows House was a disaster? I'm not familiar with the source material, but the show seemed fine, just very slow to make progress. Promised Neverland S2 was a train made of garbage that derailed into a toxic landfill.

it's not particularly bad i just think it sucks for the changes it made

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

The ED for Idaten has been previewed ahead of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2UXrzoaC5E

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yay. Really looking forward to this.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 7, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Apraxin posted:

I enjoyed the first ep of Kageki Shoujo and it's giant, doofus protagonist.

https://i.imgur.com/4T5mEf8.mp4

Nice to hear Norio Wakamoto again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Wasn't Promised Neverland and Wonder Egg Priority both done by Cloverworks? I also recall that they were involved in Darling in the Franxx, so I'm surprised Shadow House apparently turned out well enough
franxx's writing issues weren't at all cloverworks's fault, is the thing. the director was from trigger and blatantly admitted that they just hit the ground running with no real overall plot planning. and wonder egg priority had an outside celebrity writer who was the cause of all the writing issues, the show had obvious production issues but another writer could have easily actually resolved stuff in the amount of time they had.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yusin posted:

The ED for Idaten has been previewed ahead of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2UXrzoaC5E

Huh the previews gave a different impression.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Nice to hear Norio Wakamoto again.
Isn't this his first role in a couple years? I kinda felt like he was retired besides voicing Cell and M. Bison.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

franxx's writing issues weren't at all cloverworks's fault, is the thing. the director was from trigger and blatantly admitted that they just hit the ground running with no real overall plot planning. and wonder egg priority had an outside celebrity writer who was the cause of all the writing issues, the show had obvious production issues but another writer could have easily actually resolved stuff in the amount of time they had.

I'm willing to place a lot of the blame for FranXX on Naotaka Hayashi, given that his only other lead writer role for an original anime was Plastic Memories, which had a similar 'crappy Evangelion fanfic' vibe.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm willing to place a lot of the blame for FranXX on Naotaka Hayashi, given that his only other lead writer role for an original anime was Plastic Memories, which had a similar 'crappy Evangelion fanfic' vibe.

he also wrote the Steins;Gate VN and Bravely Default which i assume is how he got tapped to write some anime in the first place, shame about the results.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tales of Woe posted:

he also wrote the Steins;Gate VN and Bravely Default which i assume is how he got tapped to write some anime in the first place, shame about the results.

I like at least one of those things!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
edit: wait, nevermind

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 7, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont see the need to blame someone else when the director said outright in interviews that he never wrote sci-fi before and had no real plans or themes in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

People didn’t like Franxx?