Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Wow they got Pete Davidson to perform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope Gorillaz successfully sues and gets legal ownership of all the stupid ape pics

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

jesus christ the zipper on my pants broke and my weiner was just flopping around

luckily everyone was at lunch

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
And the battle is going again
And the heart is uneasy in the chest
And Lenin is young once again
And the young October is ahead

And Lenin is young once again
And the young October is ahead
The news is flying to all ends of the world
Believe us, oh ancestors
There will be new victories
New warriors will rise!

(check the numbers)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

We need Elon to post something vague to make the crypto bros sell their kids insulin, STAT!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sacrist65 posted:

Wow they got Pete Davidson to perform

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/slavomir_YU/status/1467004625505210369

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glad to see that El Salvador is the official owner of Tether.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/garyvee/status/1467303982519492619

hugs and kisses for the preteen NFT artists

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Creepy guys asking under age kids for things and cryptocurrency, a tale as old as time

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

So, who gets the AV?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

StratGoatCom posted:

So, who gets the AV?

are there any nft defenders in cspam? I think they be a good candidate

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
so do crypto people even want it to be an actually usable currency at this point because not knowing much about economics it seems like that would tank the cash value of their internet tokens?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

so do crypto people even want it to be an actually usable currency at this point because not knowing much about economics it seems like that would tank the cash value of their internet tokens?

more people using bitcoin should increase the price as demand increases

the reason it loving sucks as a currency is that its not stable. imagine trying to pay your rent with bitcoin only to realize the price dropped and you are now short on money

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

babypolis posted:

the reason it loving sucks as a currency is that its not stable. imagine trying to pay your rent with bitcoin only to realize the price dropped and you are now short on money

or that you overpaid your rent

or you overpaid your rent and your landlord refunds however much bitcoin but it lost value between overpaying and getting the refund

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

why exchange any currency for alcohol when you can endogenously ferment your own inside your guts via auto brewery syndrome? that’s called passive income

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Cryptocurrency would also be terrible as an actual currency because it's inherently deflationary. If you know the supply of your currency is limited, you won't spend it because it'll be worth more in the future. The goon-written book Attack of the 50-Foot Blockchain talks a lot about this subject, relating it to the Capitol Hill Babysitting Cooperative. The currency of the cooperative (scrip) was deflationary and limited so people stopped going out and spending it.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

or that you overpaid your rent

or you overpaid your rent and your landlord refunds however much bitcoin but it lost value between overpaying and getting the refund

"I demand a protated refund for this 3/4 of a pizza immediately! Faster, dammit, it's mooning!! IT'S MOON- wait, gently caress, I need that pizza back now."

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

babypolis posted:

but also there’s like 7 more reasons it sucks as a currency

the global 10ish transactions per second maximum is fundamental to the design, for instance

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
All the people trying to use things like proof of stake want it to be a currency. Like the ethereum guy does, but he's already a billionaire so he's more than happy to play fun games with it. Other proof schemes are super controversial though because there's a fear it will make crypto "inflationary" (i.e. stop being tulip bulbs for dweebs).

Getting rid of proof of work just highlights the dozens of problems with crypto that aren't proof work though so it doesn't really matter.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly--this took him nearly a minute just to buy a beer. But the nature of the blockchain means that every additional transaction means the next transaction will take longer, right? So transactions become more time-consuming and less efficient over time, right?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Not necessarily, the increasing time with Bitcoin comes from a difficulty factor that increases over time, but it increases at key breakpoints and eventually caps out, and most types of crypto don't do that. The block chain doesn't get slower with each block, only the hash of the last block is used in the current one. It does get slower as more compute power enters the system, though, so... that's nice.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

30.5 Days posted:

It does get slower as more compute power enters the system, though, so... that's nice.

How does something get slower with more computational power?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

babypolis posted:

it’s just not a currency at all. the value of the currency shouldn’t matter. it can only be a currency if all goods are available denominated in that currency. it doesn’t count if it’s denominated in dollars with an exchange rate multiplier.

bitcoin is a currency like a share in mutual fund is a currency

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

currency

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Vomik posted:

it’s just not a currency at all. the value of the currency shouldn’t matter. it can only be a currency if all goods are available denominated in that currency. it doesn’t count if it’s denominated in dollars with an exchange rate multiplier.

bitcoin is a currency like a share in mutual fund is a currency

I want to make this poo poo dumber.
Is there anyway to make another blockchain layer, and another layer to bitcoin, to make a functional currency.

Like, do I need to make a Bitcoin nation, and then make bitcoin-coins?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xanderkish posted:

it is designed to take 15 minutes to complete a block, if it takes less time, it increases the difficulty going forward
it can lower the difficulty if it takes too long but the amount it can lower it is capped so it is possible for it to get stuck and never complete blocks in a "reasonable" time frame

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

the literal way it works is that a very big random number is picked to be the next block winner, and all the computing power is being used to guess that number

more computers = number is found faster
therefore if the time to guess the winning number starts to get low, the numbers get larger

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So it's a case of self-regulating artificial scarcity.

This is starting to sound a bit like the centralized currency that Bitcoin proponents criticize. Only instead of a government that modifies the injection of cash based on market conditions, it's a single program (controlled by a single person or group) that outputs its currency at a constant rate regardless of economic conditions, and that incentivizes effectively ritual displays of waste in order to obtain it at random probability, thereby favoring the people who already have the money to afford the ritual displays, but fundamentally allocating it in random and arbitrary ways.

If I'm understanding this correctly, Bitcoin reinvented the Fed, only now it's the Fed after inhaling large amounts of carbon monoxide and sustaining permanent brain damage.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

not really, no

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I mean don't get me wrong bitcoin is dogshit and tulip insanity for the modern age but you're off the mark there

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
major push in celebrity and mainstream media endorsement of crypto lately, along with hilarious “woke” framing on how it can benefit marginalized communities

oddly enough the kind of libertarian or post-left shithead who can’t stop bitching about liberal celebrities/media or “woke” culture is still completely confident that crypto will liberate people from the tyranny of fiat

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I mean don't get me wrong bitcoin is dogshit and tulip insanity for the modern age but you're off the mark there

Wouldn't surprise me. I've been reading about how ridiculous Bitcoin is for years, and even though I know the broad strokes of how it's stupid, I can never seem to grasp the finer details in-between the technobabble and psedutechnobabble.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Xanderkish posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. I've been reading about how ridiculous Bitcoin is for years, and even though I know the broad strokes of how it's stupid, I can never seem to grasp the finer details in-between the technobabble and psedutechnobabble.

it's understandable, everything about how it works is computer nerd bullshit and like so much computer nerd bullshit is a mostly useless nerd geegaw that has been forced into a tool to peel money from people

if you care (you shouldn't) no single entity (or program, for that matter) controls or manipulates bitcoin. The thing that increases complexity based on solve/mining times is baked in to the system in a complicated math thing that can't really be extracted from the system. It is, like they say, actually decentralized and can't be (directly) hosed with for the most part. This is the "crypto" part of cryptocurrency.

The complexity increasing produces something sort of, kind of like scarcity (but weirder and dumber) where doing the math to produce new bitcoins out of thin air -- which used to be very easy in the beginning when bitcoin was worth nothing -- has become so computationally hard that it is only profitable if you have access to cheap energy and tons of computing power, and if the price of bitcoin stays very high. Lots of economic conditions can affect this relationship between computation cost and bitcoin generation, but you're right in as much as that it is only really profitable for people who have the resources to throw at mining new bitcoins. If the price of bitcoin went down (because of regulation, say), or energy prices spiked, mining would no longer be profitable no matter how many resources you could devote to mining.

Bitcoin essentially "works" in that it's math/software that for the most part does what it says on the label. Unfortunately what that does is mostly worthless for almost any real-world use case.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/dz/status/1469424767488962570

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/CoinCornerMolly/status/1469321657311543298

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CoinCornerMolly/status/1469321657311543298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/bitocrates/status/1469392465253777408?t=nd7_pCsQR19HtqcSYDDqng&s=19