Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm not even talking about them running around like buffoons, there are entire subforums that will probe you for posting a single anime picture for any reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's true and I hate it, but at the very least I like to think that most of SA is open to the fact that there's plenty of cool and good anime nowadays, and that the performance anime is bad haters are just old dinosaurs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

it apparently doesnt matter at all anymore but this is a real lovely way to frame the problem people are having that grouchio and invictus, perennial forums problem causers, causing yet more problems in the thread they like. come on man.

Just ban them and also re-perma cuntllectual who either is making up accusations about current and former posters and mods or knows deep secrets about who is really a pedophile, perhaps because cuntllectual hangs out in similar circles (No idea for sure, just pointing out possible connections much like cuntllectual.)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah, we once again come down to: the problems in vtuber posting are by and large being caused by specific people, people that can easily be identified by having multiple probes from the vtuber thread alone. It's not a very hard solve. It is a solution that will get a lot less aggravation than what we're doing now (unless of course the problem is that someone else entirely is yelling at Julias to not allow a vtuber thread that is in turn not going to show their face here)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Patware posted:

Yeah, we once again come down to: the problems in vtuber posting are by and large being caused by specific people, people that can easily be identified by having multiple probes from the vtuber thread alone. It's not a very hard solve. It is a solution that will get a lot less aggravation than what we're doing now (unless of course the problem is that someone else entirely is yelling at Julias to not allow a vtuber thread that is in turn not going to show their face here)

you can yell at someone else soon

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Patware posted:

Nah, that was ultimately my decision, and honestly a misstep on my part. Not necessarily closing it at the time, but not opening it up sooner and punishing people harshly.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Patware posted:

i'm not even talking about them running around like buffoons, there are entire subforums that will probe you for posting a single anime picture for any reason

no its part where you said people here, in adtrw, are like that now, but about vtubers. when as you yourself are pointing out its a problem with specific users that like basically every problem this subforum has is left to just fester until it becomes extremely aggravating. but since the way people who arent you handle that aggravation in a way thats less reasonable or whatever, theyre just like 40 year old gbs psychos.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

no its part where you said people here, in adtrw, are like that now, but about vtubers. when as you yourself are pointing out its a problem with specific users that like basically every problem this subforum has is left to just fester until it becomes extremely aggravating. but since the way people who arent you handle that aggravation in a way thats less reasonable or whatever, theyre just like 40 year old gbs psychos.

yes, a sliver of people here were complaining in increasingly overwrought ways about vtubers just about every time they saw a vtuber post. that's a fact, it is what was happening. i'm not gonna go dig up a bunch of quotes because i'm levelling BTN

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think there is an issue with some of the deep vtuber fans where they're extremely enthusiastic, incapable of chill and unable to realise how their posts may be read. Recent events may have been stupid but the complaints weren't entirely baseless either, it wasn't all non-adtrw regulars that were the problem.

the whole thing reminds me of the forum resection to bronies all those years ago, and there's an saclopedia entry thats particularly apt.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Patware posted:

yes, a sliver of people here were complaining in increasingly overwrought ways about vtubers just about every time they saw a vtuber post. that's a fact, it is what was happening. i'm not gonna go dig up a bunch of quotes because i'm levelling BTN

thats not the same thing, as even your own example. and its a bad way to frame the issue that even you agree is an issue. honestly shut up if youre not gonna take the iota of a moment to go "hmm, this is not the exact same as gbs, to me".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

There is a new My Little Pony cartoon recently. Somebody posted a thread about it in the TVIV claiming it was better written than most kids' cartoons (in a still-for-little-girls way, not an Adventure Time way). The creator even said it was designed so that you didn't have to be a little girl to enjoy it, although to be honest if you're looking to appeal to all audiences don't write loving My Little Pony cartoons. Originally I think most people thought it was a joke post, like that thread about the new series of Power Rangers from a while back.

Then some people actually started watching the cartoons, because it's Alright To Do That. And then more people did and suddenly people were saying "whoa, this show is actually really good!" and then they started raving about it and buying themselves avatars. Bear in mind that this cartoon still isn't written, like, say, Earthworm Jim or Rocko, where everyone thinks it's great because of allegories and references or because he's a worm in a suit. It's a show about ponies doing girl things like having prom or arguing about hairstyles. Some people even got all uppity about it, buying avatars that say things like "Ponies. Problem?" like we're the ones who are weird for thinking it's creepy for mature male adults to really, really enjoy My Little Pony.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that a forum full of twenty-somethings who are usually known for being horribly cynical assholes about everything suddenly went My Little Pony crazy in a completely unironic fashion to the point where anyone who made fun of them in the thread got shouted down and I think a few people got probated. It was like something out of the loving Twilight Zone. Really, really out there and surreal and unusual.

Eventually somebody stepped in and banned all My Little Pony talk in TVIV. I've sat here for the last couple of minutes staring at that sentence, wondering if it's a real thing borne of real concepts. I mean, think about it. The SA Forums got incredibly worked up about My Little Pony cartoons to the point where mods had to say "any new threads about the My Little Pony cartoon will be gassed and the posters will be banned". There is now a forum rule specific to My Little Pony. I'm still not entirely convinced that the whole thing wasn't entirely in my mind. There remains, for me, the possibility that I'm sitting in an empty room at an asylum, wide-eyed and touch-typing forum posts on the plaster of my wall, hallucinating an entire internet community, unable to distinguish it from reality except in these moments where my neurons get all frazzled up and accidentally throw in a complete non-sequitur like a sudden influx of My Little Pony zealots. That, for me, is as reasonable an explanation for what happened as the idea that it all just happened like I described it.

replace with relevant vtube words

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Patware posted:

I tried to make this point (as many did) when the vtuber thread was closed originally - but didn't make it very well at the time. It really is just a question of having strict moderation around problematic posts and more importantly, the people making them (as you would in any other thread about any other topic).

But Julias clearly knows that, knows that it will require at least a second moderator to keep up, and so is just waiting until that second moderator is selected/approved/cursed.

Here's hoping it's soon. I just want a place to talk about vtuber music and keep up with Hololive news in general. The vtuber thread was great for that. =D

Lor fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 3, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

thats not the same thing, as even your own example. and its a bad way to frame the issue that even you agree is an issue. honestly shut up if youre not gonna take the iota of a moment to go "hmm, this is not the exact same as gbs, to me".

yeah i don't see a significant difference except in that there are fewer people howling. this might be due to the fact that i don't post in gbs and thus don't get DMs or whatever else they might get up to when they set their piss from Steam to Boil

the MLP comparision is pretty apt to how the diehards will unironically try to explain to people 'no you see that's just luna she's playing a baby character' though, like it absolutely is what it is in that regard

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This thread rn

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Patware posted:

the MLP comparision is pretty apt to how the diehards will unironically try to explain to people 'no you see that's just luna she's playing a baby character' though, like it absolutely is what it is in that regard

Breaking my lurking to embarass myself by saying that I've enjoyed the MLP cartoon and fanart for over a decade and have not heard this phrase uttered once

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, I'll say this as someone who very much enjoys Vtubers myself: the fanbase can get really weird. Hell, some of the creators can, too. I'd hope a "no thirstposting" rule would be enough to ensure stuff doesn't get terrible, though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Roth posted:

Breaking my lurking to embarass myself by saying that I've enjoyed the MLP cartoon and fanart for over a decade and have not heard this phrase uttered once

been saying it about pinkie pie on the daily

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Roth posted:

Derpy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Namtab posted:

been saying it about pinkie pie on the daily

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just ban them and also re-perma cuntllectual who either is making up accusations about current and former posters and mods or knows deep secrets about who is really a pedophile, perhaps because cuntllectual hangs out in similar circles (No idea for sure, just pointing out possible connections much like cuntllectual.)

Remember when Grouchio had an enormous custom title thanks to FYAD

it was the only time his posts were ever worth looking at

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Roth posted:

it's something i have seen vtuber fans in this very forum try to say like it would actually defuse the kinds of criticism coming their way

himemori luna is a princess that kind of talks like a baby. when some red-eyed qcs regular is howling about pedophiles, 'no she's just playing a baby character' is the kind of defense you come to when you've gone in too deep and lost your grip on reality

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Patware posted:

it's something i have seen vtuber fans in this very forum try to say like it would actually defuse the kinds of criticism coming their way

himemori luna is a princess that kind of talks like a baby. when some red-eyed qcs regular is howling about pedophiles, 'no she's just playing a baby character' is the kind of defense you come to when you've gone in too deep and lost your grip on reality

I thought you were talking Luna, who is a Princess on MLP :psyduck:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol that tripped me up at first too until i realized they meant himemori luna

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Here's some feedback: I love this subforum

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gulping Again posted:

Remember when Grouchio had an enormous custom title thanks to FYAD

it was the only time his posts were ever worth looking at

It just seems weird because it's the same problems over and over again done by the same handful of people so the solution seems very easy and simple.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I think once you start going beyond watching funny korone clips you morph into a worse brony

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It just seems weird because it's the same problems over and over again done by the same handful of people so the solution seems very easy and simple.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Patware posted:

yes, a sliver of people here were complaining in increasingly overwrought ways about vtubers just about every time they saw a vtuber post. that's a fact, it is what was happening.

I think a lot of that was legit regulars complaining because it has been trashing the chat thread specifically, since vtuber posting was somehow allowed there and nowhere else on the forums (the worst of all possible solutions). I think it's understandable when posters complain about things that are making GBS threads up the chat thread. It's not much different than complaining when videos by Anime Review Youtuber Man #7162 get posted.

I hope a new moderated-with-fists-of-iron vtuber thread can be successful, and posters can have reasonable discussions about vtuber content and post clips and whatever, and the problem people can be swiftly honeypotted out the door along with the inevitable couple trolls who come in to post horrific poo poo "ironically".

DoubleDonut posted:

Here's some feedback: I love this subforum

:same:

I come lurk every day and as a result I've been introduced to so much good manga and anime, and read a lot of good discussion of both as well.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Namtab posted:

I think there is an issue with some of the deep vtuber fans where they're extremely enthusiastic, incapable of chill and unable to realise how their posts may be read. Recent events may have been stupid but the complaints weren't entirely baseless either, it wasn't all non-adtrw regulars that were the problem.

the whole thing reminds me of the forum resection to bronies all those years ago, and there's an saclopedia entry thats particularly apt.

yeah, the closure of the vtuber threads was basically saving a few really weird people who refused to read the room and stop saying very stupid and weird things, even when they were surrounded by people calling them a weirdo and screaming for them to stop posting horny poo poo

but those people just shoulda gotten long probes instead

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

There was more pushback to the trolls than the horny people who are you kidding. Also lol at the idiot above putting ironic in scare quotes

The horny stuff gets ignored because the vtubers* and communities themselves encourage it, its part of the whole fandom.

*most of them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm, Erm. A normal person...I just watch the clips where Korone is really bad at ghost and goblins or plays mario very badly.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm, Erm. A normal person...I just watch the clips where Korone is really bad at ghost and goblins or plays mario very badly.

This

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
gonna start mentally shutting people out if they say they 'just watch the funny dog' in the same tone as 'I just watch toonami'

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Dongicus posted:

The horny stuff gets ignored because the vtubers* and communities themselves encourage it, its part of the whole fandom.

*most of them

Yeah this lmao. Either the vtuber thread has to be ok with this to some degree because it's such a part of the general community now, or there shouldn't be a vtuber thread. And I mean that honestly, a vtuber thread just might not make sense for SA because of this. You're probably better off finding a couple of people who are on the same wavelength as you wrt streamers talking about sexuality and starting your own discord server.

Like ever since the guys joined niji en you kind of have to go out of your way to find clips and tweets that aren't them talking about anything sexual. Vox is an entertaining streamer, but you can't exactly ignore how thirsty his chat is for him or how he plays it up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

Can we make vagueposting a probatable offense.

I'm upholding this just fyi

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's a broad range between 'people acknowledging that vox sounds hot' and 'marine and choco have a moaning competition'

it's almost like that's one of those problems that would've been solved with the thread having actual moderation to establish where that line is - and frankly the english talents by and large do a lot less stuff where the only punchline is a boner noise (vshojo notwithstanding)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Baal posted:

I'm upholding this just fyi

welcome back lol

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hey

Full disclosure I was too deep in the paint and didn't notice Julias announcing he was stepping down like four hours ago. I apologize for any swinging I continued to do after that point and will sever one of my keyboard's pinky fingers to restore honor to the clan

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol you're fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

O Captain! My Captain!